Sponsored by:

Getting dealers to reset the oil change nag light with proof of oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 05:39 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by blackairforce1
I don't know why you keep mentioning the PCM procedure when it has never cleared the oil reset interval (although it does clear other stuff). Hence the hundreds of owners trying to find a solution to clear the oil reset interval.

Btw the cracked software is Russian, the VAS6154 clone is Chinese. If you're afraid of being h4ck3d then stay away from anything software related, get an aircooled.
Dude I laid this all out pretty well I think.... I'm not going to sugar coat it anymore for you. If you can't follow along with what I said then maybe best to just keep on letting someone else get their hands dirty.

People pay me to clean up the mess after they get hacked.... I think I'm good.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:57 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 812 Likes on 376 Posts

>> Honestly the idea of you all lining up to spend thousands on hacked/cloned/pirated Chinese tools is kinda crazy.

This is crazy talk, pls stop opining about stuff you know nothing about. A 'proper' PIWIS setup and high quality VAS clone is ~$1k (plus a cheap windows laptop). Contact @rnlst_log for 'first class' setup with amazing support, as I know many here will attest.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:59 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlegelis
>> Honestly the idea of you all lining up to spend thousands on hacked/cloned/pirated Chinese tools is kinda crazy.

This is crazy talk, pls stop opining about stuff you know nothing about. A 'proper' PIWIS setup and high quality VAS clone is ~$1k (plus a cheap windows laptop). Contact @rnlst_log for 'first class' setup with amazing support, as I know many here will attest.
PROPER???? High quality....dude your talking about hacked junk from adversarial nations..........You must be joking....or worse.....
Old 04-17-2024, 06:01 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 812 Likes on 376 Posts

I'm done... 'put down the internet'.
Old 04-17-2024, 06:09 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

I just came in here to try and be helpful and share information. All the folks that seem to have a problem with that I assume are defending their hustle / ego / who knows. I will be happy to discuss anything of substance, but I am done with the noise.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:21 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,215 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Are you running it on the MDed used Panasonic laptop they sell, is there something special about that hardware that requires it? Or will it run on anything?
I bought a brand new laptop with the correct laptop screen size and there was one other requirement that I can’t recall, Mars would know, he set it all up. I got the laptop from costco for about $500 and Mars assisted with setting up piwis3.

I only use this laptop for piwis, no internet, it was brand new so no personal info on it. It works amazing!
The following users liked this post:
jlegelis (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 08:24 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,215 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike818
Wow that sounds like a sweet ride man

I'm sure you probably know this, but your car has an internet connection. Unless you're in the cybersecurity field and sniffing those packets.....god only knows what's going over those wires when you plug that equipment into your car. I've just seen too much in my career to not be extremely paranoid about this type of thing.
Ya you’re right I didn’t really think of the car.

honestly Mars is extremely helpful and serious knowledge, no clue who he is but he knows computers and he knows Porsches! I dunno if he’s some Russian or Chinese hacker, he’s answered all my questions and helped a ton.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:49 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike818
*Porsche has recommended equipment, but technically any J2534 compliant device should work.
FWIW This is SAE Paper #J2534 It costs $167 on-line if you're not an SAE Member, https://www.sae.org/standards/content/j2534-1_5_00/
A synopsis of this paper follows:
"This SAE Recommended Practice describes a standardized interface that connects between a standard personal computer (PC) and vehicle.
The purpose of this interface is to enable the reprogramming of emission-related control modules, in 2004 and later model year vehicles. The interface shall consist of the necessary hardware and/or software to support the requirements defined in this document. It is expected that vehicle manufacturers will provide the software application that will control the pass-thru interface, to perform the actual reprogramming.
The goal of this document is to ensure that reprogramming software from any vehicle manufacturer is compatible with interface supplied by any tool manufacturer. A common interface for all vehicle manufacturers reduces the tool costs for aftermarket garages, while allowing each vehicle manufacturer to control the programming sequence for the electronic control units (ECUs) in their vehicles. Aftermarket garages will be able to obtain a standardized interface from a variety of tool suppliers.
This document does not limit the hardware possibilities for the connection between the PC and the interface (e.g., RS-232, RS-485, USB, ethernet, etc.). Tool suppliers are free to choose the connection that is most appropriate for their needs. Tools that are required to be SAE J2534-1 compliant must strictly adhere to the requirements defined in this document.
Applications that are required to be SAE J2534-1 compliant must strictly adhere to the requirements defined in this document. Applications that use features defined in the SAE J2534/2-xxxx document set are not considered to be SAE J2534-1 compliant."
Mike818 (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 08:52 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 690 Likes on 325 Posts

Looks like I may need to eat crow. Egg on my face etc.

On my 2023 I went to the home icon, top left. Then scrolled down one page. Tapped the smart service icon. From there I could reset the cabin air filter status which has been listed as needing to be replaced on the myPorsche app for some time. The notification in the app went away.

There are also listing for brake fluid, oil plus filter, spark plugs, etc. I need to do plugs and oil soon so I'll report back if those can be marked completed.

There is also an inspection tab that shows when the dealer did my first oil change. Also when they did the second oil change. I'd done my own at 20k but they comped me that service at about 25k and logged it then.

Anyway, looks to be good news! Thanks to the fellow who mentioned the smart service setting.
Mike818 (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 08:58 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,357 Likes on 1,398 Posts

No one, to the best of my knowledge has been able to reset the SRI via PCM. The only tools I know will clear an SRI for up to a 2022 are PIWIS and Launch. This has been covered ad nauseam.

As to PIWIS.. If all you're looking for is to clear an SRI or similar I (and others) have suggested that you either find an Indie or reach out in the Region Forum for someone near you who has one and for a case of beer or other (Please DO NOT bring flowers unless the person doing the work appreciates them...) and have them perform the mod. Yes there was a real case... don't ask...

As to the cost difference as well as LOE between Launch and PIWIS not forgetting the latest software for newer (especially EV) vehicles, this has been covered numerous times. Let your fingers use the Search Tool and research away. Many of us have spent countless hours finding out these how-to's, put a little of your time into it as well.

As to @rnlst_log the man is beyond a legend, and he's helped myriads and myriads of folks out of disastrous situations. Not even worth discussing this further.

Having spent over 30 years in RT programming as well as nets/comms in military and high energy physics "bleeding edge" applications I'm not bothered at all by PIWIS' source other than it sucks as an architecture. I would definitely go with a T6PT3G vs the VAS any day however.

I picked up an Autel J2534 from eBay for about $600 bucks to use as a Virtual Tester FWIW, hourly rates with PCSS are very reasonable.

I would pause the debate and let the OP get his car and show us (no, I'm not from MO) on his vehicle how he resets the SRI through the PCM. The only downside I see with doing it through the PCM is you must have Porsche Connect (or whatever they're called now - and no I will not be tracked by them). Yes, disable PVTS as well with PIWIS - doubt you can do that from the PCM. If it's successful, I'll move it to the DIY Section.

siberian
The following 2 users liked this post by siberian:
jlegelis (04-17-2024), Mike818 (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 09:54 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

I believe that some of the confusion regarding how to use the Porsche Connect function via the PCM in the car or by using the My Porsche cell phone app probably have to do with one or more of the following:
  • In Porsche Connect the "Active Services" is a menu of the current and expired paid annual subscriptions. I suspect that a Porsche Connect "Subscription" (first year is free or paid) is required to access the "Connect Care" function. This "Connect Care" subscription is eveidently required for the user to, among other things, reset the oil change and maintenance intervals in the car's computer.
  • I have a 2021 C2S. I let my "Porsche Connect" subscription expire when the "free" year that came with the car ended. But I don't even see an option to purchase the "Connect Care" subscription now. I checked on-line and via my "My Porsche" cell phone app. So. the options described by the "Overview of Services" page posted in this thread, do not exist in/on my PCM or available to purchase..
  • The "Overview of Services" page posted in this thread is not a part of any document or *.pdf file that I've ever seen. I'm pretty OCD about OEM electronic or hard copy documents for my vehicles and I don't think I've ever seen this. If someone could share which document this page is from or provide a *.pdf copy or where a *.pdf copy might be downloaded I'd be grateful.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 04-17-2024 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-17-2024, 10:02 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,357 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Might have changed since our cars, after all the Porsche Connect used to be one year and it's now three (I guess they make up for the free two years by selling where you go ...).

Like you, when it lapsed I cancelled or rather I didn't renew but also specified that I wanted PVTS disabled. Dump a VAL (with PIWIS) and check whether this has been done it should be listed together with ConBox.

siberian
Old 04-17-2024, 10:48 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Might have changed since our cars, after all the Porsche Connect used to be one year and it's now three (I guess they make up for the free two years by selling where you go ...).

Like you, when it lapsed I cancelled or rather I didn't renew but also specified that I wanted PVTS disabled. Dump a VAL (with PIWIS) and check whether this has been done it should be listed together with ConBox.

siberian
That will turn off all of the service interval nonsense?
Old 04-17-2024, 11:11 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by siberian
I didn't renew but also specified that I wanted PVTS disabled.
My solution . . . . . I think I cleaned out the local CostCo of all their Aluminum Foil. But the peace of mind has been well worth it.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 04-17-2024 at 11:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
Fullyield (04-18-2024), Jeff Whitten (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 12:16 AM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
  • The "Overview of Services" page posted in this thread is not a part of any document or *.pdf file that I've ever seen. I'm pretty OCD about OEM electronic or hard copy documents for my vehicles and I don't think I've ever seen this. If someone could share which document this page is from or provide a *.pdf copy or where a *.pdf copy might be downloaded I'd be grateful.
Sure I attached the manual for you. I think it's a newer version than the one I posted about earlier as well.

Last edited by Mike818; 04-18-2024 at 12:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Getting dealers to reset the oil change nag light with proof of oil change