Sponsored by:

Getting dealers to reset the oil change nag light with proof of oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 08:21 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,503 Likes on 938 Posts

Originally Posted by dg108
I e-mailed Autel awhile back asking if the 808S will work on a '24 992 and they said it would not, is that incorrect?
Have no idea concerning a 2024 992S. However, it works great to reset oil reminder on my 2022 992S, Tom x 4’s 992 (post # 4) and BlueHighways 992 as discussed at length in the dedicated thread on it.
The following users liked this post:
Bluehighways (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 09:26 AM
Brad Stinson
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike818
You don't really need to pirate anymore*. Anyone can register a PCSS account for free and subscribe in hour/day/week/month/year chunks. It really doesn't take that long to get what you need from the system. I'm sure prices fluctuate but the cost for an hour is very reasonable (IMO).

*If you are just trying to do vanilla stuff.

Right to repair actually won, PCSS and Virtual tester are Porsche's way of complying

"PCSS (Porsche Central Service System; formerly TSI) is an application that provides access to technical information on this website for authorized companies within the meaning of Article 4(2) of Commission Regulation No. 1400/2002 or its successor regulations as well as Regulations EU 2018/858 and the similar country-specific RMI (Repair and Maintenance Information) requirements. In the United States, the use of PCSS TSI and the Porsche Virtual Tester comply with the requirements of the Right to Repair (R2R) Act and its associated Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and any successive regulations. If you also want to carry out diagnostics on the vehicle, please note the information below for diagnostic access via Porsche’s Virtual Tester."

https://pcss-tsi.porsche.com/landing...ral?country=US

I wouldn't expect them to be singing about it from the mountain top though...
So can you expand on this? For basic car functionality like resetting maintenance, which access type do we need? What is the cost per hour? Is there specific hardware which must also be purchased?
Old 04-17-2024, 09:55 AM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
You can not. Multiple prior threads on this. See post #4.
Then explain post #21, literally right there in black and white.
Old 04-17-2024, 10:25 AM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

I'll make this easier:

Old 04-17-2024, 10:37 AM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brad Stinson
So can you expand on this? For basic car functionality like resetting maintenance, which access type do we need? What is the cost per hour? Is there specific hardware which must also be purchased?
Well apparently we are still arguing about how to reset maintenance, and I can only work off the factory documentation as I don't have my car yet to see for myself.

Lets say you have a MY that does require a tool to reset the maintenance or you are doing a job that does require PIWIS programming, in theory you would need to sign up for PCSS and diagnostic access. Then you download their virtual tester software and along with your J2534 compliant device* your computer turns into a PIWIS. Again not sure how prices may vary, but for me an hour was $17, a day was $57, a week was I think $256.

*Porsche has recommended equipment, but technically any J2534 compliant device should work.
Old 04-17-2024, 11:28 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Then explain post #21, literally right there in black and white.
The Smart Service graphic provided does not state “Reset Oil Interval” anywhere that I can see so nothing “black and white” about oil change reset. I hope I missed it and I am wrong. The data listed is brake fluid, cabin filter and general inspection.
Old 04-17-2024, 11:39 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Well apparently we are still arguing about how to reset maintenance, and I can only work off the factory documentation as I don't have my car yet to see for myself.

Lets say you have a MY that does require a tool to reset the maintenance or you are doing a job that does require PIWIS programming, in theory you would need to sign up for PCSS and diagnostic access. Then you download their virtual tester software and along with your J2534 compliant device* your computer turns into a PIWIS. Again not sure how prices may vary, but for me an hour was $17, a day was $57, a week was I think $256.

*Porsche has recommended equipment, but technically any J2534 compliant device should work.
Excellent. When you get your car, try it and please do a write up for us. It would make a great thread. I am sure the community will be very interested in any technical method available to reset the oil maintenance reminder through the PCM. Hopefully, there is an inexpensive J2534 hardware device available that can do the software download. Many will be interested in costs so thanks for including the hourly, daily, weekly web access charges, too.
Old 04-17-2024, 11:48 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,127 Likes on 670 Posts

lol this place is funny.

So Mike doesn’t even have a 992 yet and is telling us we can reset oil service?

Oil service is wrote into the DME, it can’t even be changed once wrote, it’s permanently recorded there, forever.

PCSS is workshop instructions for the car to do mechanical Work, it has no functionality, you need piwis3 for that.
Fullyield (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 12:08 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,850 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by jlegelis
Completely doable in PIWIS... its under Instrument Cluster -> Maintenance and Repairs. Contact @rnlst_log for a setup - IMHO if you have *any* inclination to perform your own maintenance and are even marginally computer savvy then PIWIS is an absolute must to unlock access to your car. Screenshots below...

Thank you for this! @f4bones , looks like this is the way.

jlegelis (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 12:19 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

The Smart Service graphic provided does not state “Reset Oil Interval” anywhere that I can see so nothing “black and white” about oil change reset. I hope I missed it and I am wrong. The data listed is brake fluid, cabin filter and general inspection.
Check out post # 35 for help. Those are examples, the list is exhaustive.

Literally

"Reset Component"
"Enter New Expiry Date"

I wish I could post the actual documents from the factory service manual, but that is clearly a no no because they plaster your account and metadata all over them when you download them.

Last edited by Mike818; 04-17-2024 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-17-2024, 12:31 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

not that anyone is thanking me for my trouble.....but I will summarize factory procedure

"034025 Resetting Smart Service values"

- In order to show the customer the correct remaining service life of the components relevant for Smart Service,
these components must be initially reset as part of the sales check before the vehicle is handed over to the
customer.

- It is also necessary during operation to reset relevant components after replacing them.

- Resetting during the sales check or after replacement is possible via the vehicle (when the service is active).

***************- Resetting the Smart Service values is described in the Driver's Manual in the chapter “Smart Service”. ********************

Components/maintenance components that can be reset individually.

Brake Fluid - 470855 Changing brake fluid

Particle filter - 851819 Removing and installing particle filter

Inspection - 031800 Inspection

Tyre sealant (use-by date) - 442655 Replacing tyre sealant

Engine oil and oil filter - 170117 Draining and filling engine oil
173055 Changing oil filter

Spark plugs - 287020 Removing and installing spark plugs

Drive Belt - 137855 Replacing drive belt

snakepilot 69 (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 12:33 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Angryinch
lol this place is funny.

So Mike doesn’t even have a 992 yet and is telling us we can reset oil service?

Oil service is wrote into the DME, it can’t even be changed once wrote, it’s permanently recorded there, forever.

PCSS is workshop instructions for the car to do mechanical Work, it has no functionality, you need piwis3 for that.
How many of you all have PCSS accounts and can get it straight from Porsche?

By all means continue to bend over the barrel for the dealer....... everyone's gotta eat.

P.S. You aren't arguing with me, as you say I don't even have the car yet, you are arguing with Porsche. All I am doing is reading what Porsche said and coming here and talking to you kind folks about it. I'm not trying to make any money off you or really get anything out of this. I am simply trying to help you out. If it turns out that I am wrong, I would like to understand how/why that is. If I can't trust what Porsche is telling me I would like to know that as soon as possible.

Last edited by Mike818; 04-17-2024 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-17-2024, 12:47 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Just incase anyone is confused by this

I'm pretty sure that's meant to be confusing, and means to tap 3 times.
Old 04-17-2024, 01:15 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Check out post # 35 for help. Those are examples, the list is exhaustive.

Literally

"Reset Component"
"Enter New Expiry Date"

I wish I could post the actual documents from the factory service manual, but that is clearly a no no because they plaster your account and metadata all over them when you download them.
We eagerly await your write up whenever you do get a Porsche and I hope you prove us wrong. But no one has been able to do it yet (as Charles at M Engineering mentioned). You will receive much gratitude from this entire community if you succeed and it is cost effective. Can’t wait for your thread reporting your results.
Old 04-17-2024, 01:20 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,850 Likes on 1,002 Posts

We eagerly await your write up whenever you do get a Porsche and I hope you prove us wrong. But no one has been able to do it yet (as Charles at M Engineering mentioned). You will receive much gratitude from this entire community if you succeed and it is cost effective. Can’t wait for your thread reporting your results.
I am still trying to figure out how to get the PCSS account. I can see the service requirements on My Porsche, but I can’t figure out how to reset the intervals.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-17-2024 at 01:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Getting dealers to reset the oil change nag light with proof of oil change