Sponsored by:

992.2 April 2024 Release

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 01:55 PM
Surge74
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by kkevinqq
What part of the 992.1 is botched, the fact it's impossible to see the outer two dials? Or something else
Of the dash specifically - yes, the fact that 40% (2/5) of the dials are obscured is unacceptable. I drove one, thinking it won’t be that bad. It is that bad.
The following users liked this post:
gymdent (08-07-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 02:06 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 760 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Surge74
I’m sure the 922.2 dash will be all digital, which is a shame; but they botched the 992.1 dash and with VW pushing cost cutting and parts sharing, I’m sure Porsche will follow Audi in this regard.
Im not sure that putting bigger screens on there was a part of cost cutting. The main 3 gauges are visible and the side 2 with peripheral information that you don't need to constantly see are visible if you move your head a little. The only way to make everything visible is to use a small tach or a bigger steering wheel.
The following 4 users liked this post by malba2366:
cwbrown (08-07-2023), famous shoes (08-07-2023), pelucidor (08-29-2023), SS22 (08-07-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 02:34 PM
Surge74
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Digital dash is much cheaper than an analog dash, especially an analog dial that is unique to the 911.
Peripheral information includes data like tire temp and pressure which should be visible without turning your head, that’s ridiculous. Previous generations of 911 did not have this issue.
Most new owners seem to care more about the badge so it doesn’t impact sales significantly.
Old 08-07-2023, 03:34 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,278 Likes on 648 Posts

Digital dash is much cheaper than an analog dash, especially an analog dial that is unique to the 911.
Peripheral information includes data like tire temp and pressure which should be visible without turning your head, that’s ridiculous. Previous generations of 911 did not have this issue.
Most new owners seem to care more about the badge so it doesn’t impact sales significantly.
trade-off will be smaller gauges in an all digital screen. I'm sure it will look great and function well. For me I'm happy to move my head slightly if it means i get a larger center tach. Really curious to see though how they implement the all digital setup and whether it feels like you lose anything vs the current dash.

(also people have shown plenty of examples of other gens which had gauges partially obstructed by the steering wheel)
Old 08-07-2023, 04:09 PM
Pivot
Burning Brakes

Received 1,659 Likes on 604 Posts

I rather like and enjoy my 992 analogue tachometer and digital dials on each side. It has classical look and feel with digital treatment.
The little dials obscured by the steering wheel e.g. ambient temperature don’t need continuous monitoring and I got used to it very quickly.

Full digital dash is of course more cost effective, although long curved hi-res screen is not cheap either. I look forward to see what they will do with it. At least, customizing the tachometer colour should be free of charge, as it would be RGB setting
Victory911 (08-07-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 06:09 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 760 Likes on 430 Posts

The digital dash in the 992 is not cheaper to produce when you consider the processors and high quality screens being used to make the animations and gauge motion smooth. A basic digital dash like those used in economy cars is very cheap to produce.
6172crew (08-08-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 06:57 PM
kkevinqq
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by malba2366
The digital dash in the 992 is not cheaper to produce when you consider the processors and high quality screens being used to make the animations and gauge motion smooth. A basic digital dash like those used in economy cars is very cheap to produce.
It's impossible to know without knowledge from Porsche. But, also need to consider that shared components between Taycan, Cayenne, 911 could be used to negotiate lower per-unit costs. And, eliminating an entire 911-specific part of the supply chain should not be underestimated. Obviously I have no clue where the dash is manufactured, shipped, etc, or how any of this works, so take it with a big grain of salt :P
Old 08-07-2023, 08:30 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Agree that the 992.1 dashboard is not botched. Love the center tachometer. The legibility of the digital aspects of the instruments is exemplary.
Mauer did a great job making the 992 dash modern and at the same time retro echoing the G-series. He walked the precarious 911 tightrope of past vs. present expertly.
Ausgezeichnet, Herr Mauer.
While the outer instruments are blocked by the steering wheel, someone posted a photo of the original 911 in the 992 forum showing the outer instruments are also blocked. Boom.
Nein Eleven (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 07:45 PM
Crester
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts

Screens are cheaper... that's why all companies are switching to them. You some how think it's cheaper to make intricately detailed physical instrument clusters? And they still have computers to operate them. It's not like some cable is physically turning the tachometer and speedomoter. LOL
Larson E. Rapp (08-09-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 07:51 PM
Crester
Pro

Originally Posted by Tompoodie
Agree that the 992.1 dashboard is not botched. Love the center tachometer. The legibility of the digital aspects of the instruments is exemplary.
Mauer did a great job making the 992 dash modern and at the same time retro echoing the G-series. He walked the precarious 911 tightrope of past vs. present expertly.
Ausgezeichnet, Herr Mauer.
While the outer instruments are blocked by the steering wheel, someone posted a photo of the original 911 in the 992 forum showing the outer instruments are also blocked. Boom.
The 992.1 dashboard is botched. The fact that you can't see the outer gauges means it's botched. Other companies would have figured out a way to display the gauges clearly. Look at how GM squared off the Vette steering wheel to help.

Also the original 911 had a super thing steering wheel... not the same thing at all.
Larson E. Rapp (08-09-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 08:18 PM
JCZ5
Pro

Received 372 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Crester
Screens are cheaper... that's why all companies are switching to them. You some how think it's cheaper to make intricately detailed physical instrument clusters? And they still have computers to operate them. It's not like some cable is physically turning the tachometer and speedomoter. LOL
^ +1 Screens are cheaper once the technology is there, which it is. then it is mass produced and software running through it. Add a little more detail, you first define the requirements for the physical screen, then the requirements for the resolution and match it to the processor. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Mercedes, BMW and Porsche displays all come from the same factory due to previous relationships these manufactures have in joint ventures with 3rd party suppliers.

Also if you look at the new Macan and Cayenne, their center console is now just one piece of "screen" when you click down. It is much more costly to produce the older version where there are individual buttons and indicators that light up when depressed.
Old 08-08-2023, 09:09 PM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Crester
The 992.1 dashboard is botched. The fact that you can't see the outer gauges means it's botched. Other companies would have figured out a way to display the gauges clearly. Look at how GM squared off the Vette steering wheel to help.
Lmao, I would much rather have a round steering wheel than be able to see redundant gauges.
The following 3 users liked this post by Nein Eleven:
Fishah (08-08-2023), Siso78 (10-22-2023), Tompoodie (08-09-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 10:25 PM
6172crew
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 68 Posts

Easy enough to check the prices on both years of gauges. A quick look says the 992 gauge cluster is $7000 used on eBay. I do t have access to parts catalogs but the cost of the glass and bits are only half the cost of software engineering that makes it all happen. I’m also willing to bet someone is getting some kind of licensing profit for parts as well.
Old 08-08-2023, 10:34 PM
kkevinqq
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 6172crew
Easy enough to check the prices on both years of gauges. A quick look says the 992 gauge cluster is $7000 used on eBay. I do t have access to parts catalogs but the cost of the glass and bits are only half the cost of software engineering that makes it all happen. I’m also willing to bet someone is getting some kind of licensing profit for parts as well.
The cost on ebay is really not a good proxy of the cost to Porsche though.. There's 0% chance we rennlisters can make an accurate comparison between the cost of 992.1 dash and a Taycan-like dash, and the effect on Porsche finances.

For example, if 992.2 dash is also an all-digital dash, we also need to know:
  • Taycan, Cayenne already use an all-digital dash. Having 992.2 move to this will decrease the per-unit cost. Not only making 992 production cost cheaper, but also for every model that uses it.
  • Being able to move dash's between multiple models, to unblock factory shortages or improve revenue-per-dash-shipped. e.g. move a stripper Taycan dash to prioritize a 992 Turbo S which likely has higher margin
  • Being able to remove the need of extra suppliers, and the hidden costs of keeping that part of the supply chain functional
Crester (08-09-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 01:23 AM
Crester
Pro

Originally Posted by Nein Eleven
Lmao, I would much rather have a round steering wheel than be able to see redundant gauges.
LOL... it's not like it's difficult to use a Corvette steering wheel.

Quick Reply: 992.2 April 2024 Release