Sponsored by:

Replacement battery $2500!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2022, 01:39 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
we’re talking EV’s here. Most certainly there is a fully warranted 70hp available for a small payment.

..and OTA. As far as I am aware (??) no traditional car company does that with their ICE cars. Although I recently spoke to my Porsche service manager (who’s consider a P2 for his family) about the OTA power bump, and he thought that was so cool…and saw no reason why Porsche couldn’t do something like that if they were into doing that? But not yet, at least.

My feeling is, small EV companies are more innovative, and embrace new things a lot quicker than well establish manufacturers.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 08-06-2022 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-06-2022, 05:54 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
I have no issues with batteries in my three newer Porsches, at all. That includes my 992 S with RWS and the Li Po batteries that sit for several weeks, no Maintainer needed.

the only cars I know of that perpetually need to be on Chargers are Ferraris, they don’t appear to spec very robust OEM batteries and it’s a constant issue for the guys on Ferrari Chat.
Re Ferraris: High parasitic currents during non-use, perhaps?
Old 08-06-2022, 06:49 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
While they may deny you.... thaey CANNOT deny your warranty. It just won't hold up in any court and if you have yell out, "then lets go to court..." then that is how you combat Porsche and their boloney. They make millions off denying warranty claims because the owners don't know better than to push back, and that is not the owner fault, they just trust they are in good hands when they buy an expensive car. But they are not, and I went through it when dealing with Porsche on my GT3RS.... I just stated "ok if you won't cover this under warranty we'll go to court..." they called back in 30 minutes and said they will be fixing the car. This was an issue with the car being stuck and not moving with the emergency brake stuck on, then blaming it on an our aftermarket Antigravity Lithium Battery. It was a proposterous argument to say the battery ruined a sensor and I knew better being in this industry so I was lucky enough to be able to argue it and say its impossible and why and was ready to fight them in court.

Having to drive a certain amount would also not hold up in court or arbitration.... you could simply say... "I had it on a maintainer,..." you don't have to DRIVE a Car to maintain the battery. Its such a weak and silly statement on their part and would get blown out of the water with a simple easy argument like putting it on a maintainer. Anyway good luck to any who get that horrendous treatment and untruths from Porsche, or any of these manufacturers. Its just how the game works, you have to be a jerk back to them. Its gross.
Read post#13:

https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...namera-4s.html

I recently went over a warranty claim with them. It goes exactly like that. Take them to court and wait years. Arbitration is written to backup the factory. I had to cough up for a new block on my dime. VW warranty is an upstream battle. Dealer relationships are irrelevant as they like money more than like you.
Battery warranty fight is nearly impossible with AGM if they pass the so called tests. The lithium doesn't have a test per se, it simply fails. Happened 2x with the cayenne and both I had long arguments, having to physically show how I plugged the tequipment (can't be another one - ridiculous, I know) charger. They were ready to say that I plugged at the 12v and it turned off, when I produced the battery leads. That was followed by "this is not Porsche approved ", which I rebutted showing the logo. Disgruntled l SA had to submit the claim and later on give me a snarky comment that they had to pay it.
Taycans are waiting on 12v batteries to be finished. VW calculated wrong with this ridiculous lithium serup.
Old 08-07-2022, 12:28 AM
aquatone
Instructor

Received 169 Likes on 81 Posts

Happened to me today. Went into the garage and my 9200 mile 2021 C4S was dead. It had been in the garage for only 5-days after driving 120 miles so it should have been fully charged. I have the Lithium battery and RWS. I connected the (Porsche branded) CTEK trickle charger to the battery +/- terminals but it just won't charge. I just get the flashing on-button on the CTEK. I held the button down for 10 seconds as instructed in the docs, and it seems to start charging for a few minutes, then goes back to the flashing green on-button mode. Frustrating.

At this stage have a car stuck in the garage that won't charge and not sure what to do next. Calling Porsche roadside assistance I guess.

Last edited by aquatone; 08-07-2022 at 12:29 AM.
Old 08-07-2022, 01:05 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by aquatone
Happened to me today. Went into the garage and my 9200 mile 2021 C4S was dead. It had been in the garage for only 5-days after driving 120 miles so it should have been fully charged. I have the Lithium battery and RWS. I connected the (Porsche branded) CTEK trickle charger to the battery +/- terminals but it just won't charge. I just get the flashing on-button on the CTEK. I held the button down for 10 seconds as instructed in the docs, and it seems to start charging for a few minutes, then goes back to the flashing green on-button mode. Frustrating.

At this stage have a car stuck in the garage that won't charge and not sure what to do next. Calling Porsche roadside assistance I guess.
Are you connecting the negative terminal of the CTEK to the ground post? If so, try a different point for ground and see if you can get the CTEK to work?
Old 08-07-2022, 09:19 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If the battery tripped it may not return . Never worked for me. don't waste your time and tow the car. Be clear that you need a tow, not battery assistance, which is another waste of time.
Most tow drivers have a battery pack that at least will start your car in emergency mode, so it's not dragged to the flatbed.
Good luck, batteries are backordered in most places.

Last edited by John Mclane; 08-07-2022 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-07-2022, 09:28 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

For those of us who live in areas with frequent thunder storms, know it’s not unusual to get a brief power outage, or momentary blip in the power. At which point, won’t the CTEK stop it’s charging cycle, and need to be manually re-set?

I think this whole expectation from Porsche that these cars be maintained, 24/7, on a maintainer…or one might void the battery warranty, is absurd.

Hey Porsche, if your reading - just give us a battery that can hold a charge for a couple of weeks, or realistically, much longer (like most batteries) without going dead.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 08-07-2022 at 09:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
KLOC (08-07-2022)
Old 08-07-2022, 11:07 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The warranty book makes for some interesting read. You will void the warranty if you track the car, even on Porsche events (CPO Porsche experience cars are a bit of a joke then) or exceed the posted speed limits.
VW mandates the draconian warranty policies. Fight to the end for the dealers as they are stuck with the bill. Software engineers largely design this car, without regard for those that drive (Homelink, CarPlay overriding backup camera, simple act of finding a radio station). You can tell the mechanical bits still work together for the best part (until your spark plugs burn out - more on that later).
According to a local dealer mechanic, the car doesn't charge the battery as much or at all when driving in sport+ (I can't recall if on sport as well). That's for "optimized performance". Add that to the several remote connect crap you have it in the car and the battery won't last 10 days. It's much worse in the winter.
I charge the battery at least once a week and over the weekend if I'm not driving one car ir the other. It's just ridiculous.
Old 08-07-2022, 11:35 AM
achilleas101
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
The warranty book makes for some interesting read. You will void the warranty if you track the car, even on Porsche events (CPO Porsche experience cars are a bit of a joke then) or exceed the posted speed limits.
VW mandates the draconian warranty policies. Fight to the end for the dealers as they are stuck with the bill. Software engineers largely design this car, without regard for those that drive (Homelink, CarPlay overriding backup camera, simple act of finding a radio station). You can tell the mechanical bits still work together for the best part (until your spark plugs burn out - more on that later).
According to a local dealer mechanic, the car doesn't charge the battery as much or at all when driving in sport+ (I can't recall if on sport as well). That's for "optimized performance". Add that to the several remote connect crap you have it in the car and the battery won't last 10 days. It's much worse in the winter.
I charge the battery at least once a week and over the weekend if I'm not driving one car ir the other. It's just ridiculous.
uhhh what? It doesn't charge while driving in sport+? That cant be right. Isnt charging a mechanical function of the alternator? They can cut that off electronically? More importantly, why would they do that without explicitly saying that in the manual so you dont kill the battery!

Last edited by achilleas101; 08-07-2022 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-07-2022, 11:59 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

According to a local dealer mechanic, the car doesn't charge the battery as much or at all when driving in sport+ (I can't recall if on sport as well). That's for "optimized performance".
Probably best not to quote things that are not true. Your battery will charge in any of the selections, not less or at all to "optimize performance". Your Service tech is spewing non-sense. Think about it - what if I drove cross country in sports+, your battery would be dead in hours with the PCM, headlights, etc. on.

Come on - let's use some common sense.
The following 2 users liked this post by Richard_Wallace:
aggie57 (08-08-2022), icanthelpit (08-08-2022)
Old 08-07-2022, 12:07 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

I remember asking the head of my local Porsche service department about that (re: tracking your porsche and whether things were warranted, etc)…and he told me that they (I assume he means the dealership, and Porsche in general), reserve the right, after determining the cause of any failure, to deny warranty claims that occurred as a result of a track event, irrespective of whether it’s Porsche sponsored, or not. That seems reasonable to me, as not all failures are due to material or workmanship issues. What I inferred from his comment was - wink, wink - if you are in good standing with the dealership, they will go to bat for you, with Porsche, even if said claim happened while tracking your car…so long as they (the dealership’s service department) determines the cause of the part/system failure, was not a result of some alteration you made to the car, etc…and were driving it under expected track conditions, blah, blah?

At no time did I get the feeling my service representative was telling me, or inferring that I should not drive my Porsche at a track event, for risk of voiding the warranty? So, my guess is, making a successful warranty claim to Porsche is highly dependent on what your dealership determines is the cause….and their willingness to support your claim.? Ergo, a tuned 992 that has some engine/transmission failure, could be denied a warranty claim if they can determine, or suspect the car has been tuned. That’s said, I like to tune my vehicles for the street because on the street, the car is not nearly under the same stresses, for long periods, as experienced in a 20-30 minute track session in the hot Summer…

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 08-07-2022 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-07-2022, 12:45 PM
sali1980
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 66 Posts

I have RWS with Li battery on my 22 GTS. I went overseas for 3 weeks and car started normally (since April I have done 700 miles). But does it say anywhere in manual to drive at least 5k a year? Thanks
Old 08-07-2022, 12:52 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by sali1980
I have RWS with Li battery on my 22 GTS. I went overseas for 3 weeks and car started normally (since April I have done 700 miles). But does it say anywhere in manual to drive at least 5k a year? Thanks

It’s been a while, but I believe it says something like that. Check your warranty stuff to be sure. I believe it uses the word, “recommended”, so not a hard and fast rule.

But even if it does say that, realistically, I can’t see how that’s enforceable, as everyone’s situation is different, and dictating you need to drive 5K/year to maintain the warranty, seems ludicrous to me. It only becomes real for owners when someone is denied warranty, and then challenges in court. To date, I’m not aware of that happening…and IMO, if it ever got that far, would be just bad, no, horrible PR for Porsche…so i chose to believe it’s more of a guidance, rather than a firm rule that Porsche might enforce.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 08-07-2022 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-07-2022, 05:25 PM
aquatone
Instructor

Received 169 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Are you connecting the negative terminal of the CTEK to the ground post? If so, try a different point for ground and see if you can get the CTEK to work?
Yes tried that with no luck with the CTEK. Anyway, I found some comments from other 992 drivers that the CTEK just does not work on a discharged Li battery. Rather just jump-start the car old school from another car. That worked and after driving 20 miles I was charged again. Then hooked up the CTEK to top off the Li battery which all seems to work now. Nervous about taking it off as not sure I trust this battery.
Old 08-07-2022, 06:06 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by aquatone
Yes tried that with no luck with the CTEK. Anyway, I found some comments from other 992 drivers that the CTEK just does not work on a discharged Li battery. Rather just jump-start the car old school from another car. That worked and after driving 20 miles I was charged again. Then hooked up the CTEK to top off the Li battery which all seems to work now. Nervous about taking it off as not sure I trust this battery.

Good to hear it’s back on the road. But you (we) should not have to go through this. There are enough owners that have had similar experience to indicate there’s fundamental problem

Quick Reply: Replacement battery $2500!