Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

What mods to buy? 2018 Panamera 4s

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 11:58 PM
mobiledev
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What mods to buy? 2018 Panamera 4s

Hey! I just bought a 2018 Panamera 4s and looking for some good mods to buy.

Can't seem to find much online specifically for the 2017+ 4s other than Fabspeed's ECU tune.

I'm planning to use it as my daily driver, so mods can't be too crazy.

What mods would you recommend? What are the power/HP increases for each?

Also! Any tips on getting the clock removed? It's an eye sore for me.

Here's the car, wrapping it White soon!

Last edited by mobiledev; 02-04-2021 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:42 AM
pbon
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 112 Posts

I am looking at the BMS JB4 piggyback tune for my Cayenne with 2.9L TT. My understanding is that it adds about 80 crank hp and a little more than that number in torque.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:50 PM
rwdds
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Left and Right, Front-Wing Machine Guns
The following users liked this post:
DogWood (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 03:36 PM
mobiledev
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rwdds
Left and Right, Front-Wing Machine Guns
I'm not understanding.. tried googling but no results.

Do you mind elaborating? lol
Old 02-04-2021, 03:55 PM
rwdds
Racer

Hah, sorry, maybe my post was in poor taste:

Go to Time - 1:19

Old 02-04-2021, 07:33 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 689 Likes on 415 Posts

Not poor choice in humor lol. But if car under warranty performance mods could negate it, be careful.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:48 PM
rwdds
Racer

For the 911 fanatics, performance mods are commonplace. Engine intake, performance exhausts and ECU tunes do not alter warranties (unless an indy damages another component during installation).
Old 02-04-2021, 10:13 PM
Beer Brewer
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Not to hijack, but is the JB4 tuning box available now for the 971 4S? I saw only the beta version for the 4.0 liter turbo on their website last time I checked. I’ve had the Racechip and VR tuning boxes already but I’ve been unhappy with their performance (transmission related). I’ve done nothing to my 971 4S (other than the aforementioned tuning box dalliances) and find it a near-perfect daily driver as-is, but thirst for a bit more power. Carry on!
Old 02-04-2021, 10:59 PM
rwdds
Racer

is the JB4 tuning box available now for the 971 4S?
Actually, it is a good question to ask. I am new to the 971 and have been looking for a reputable ECU tune system. I'm not interested in a "Harness Assembly" like the VR Tune device (VR Tune has a few options). Fabspeed has a ECU tune option using a MyGenius ODB reader, but it's pricey (almost $2K). I can tell you it worked very well on my 997S, but there were a lot of engine performance mods added to the mix. The tune made the 911 much more responsive and fun.

Back to the thread
Mods so far on my 971 4S:
- Sprint Booster
- ProClip IPhone console mount
- Lamin-X Smoked Side Marker Covers
- NavTool Nav/DVD/Audio/Video Bypass (disengages video and nav interface cutout while driving

In the works:
- Valentine One hard wire install
- BlackVue 900 Dashcam install
Old 02-05-2021, 11:38 AM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 684 Likes on 436 Posts

Actually, it is a good question to ask. I am new to the 971 and have been looking for a reputable ECU tune system. I'm not interested in a "Harness Assembly" like the VR Tune device (VR Tune has a few options). Fabspeed has a ECU tune option using a MyGenius ODB reader, but it's pricey (almost $2K). I can tell you it worked very well on my 997S, but there were a lot of engine performance mods added to the mix. The tune made the 911 much more responsive and fun.

Back to the thread
Mods so far on my 971 4S:
- Sprint Booster
- ProClip IPhone console mount
- Lamin-X Smoked Side Marker Covers
- NavTool Nav/DVD/Audio/Video Bypass (disengages video and nav interface cutout while driving

In the works:
- Valentine One hard wire install
- BlackVue 900 Dashcam install
Rwdds,

Happy to talk with you further about this, PM me!

Old 02-06-2021, 08:08 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 762 Likes on 544 Posts

For the 911 fanatics, performance mods are commonplace. Engine intake, performance exhausts and ECU tunes do not alter warranties (unless an indy damages another component during installation).
ECU tunes void the warranty 100%...
Old 02-08-2021, 10:27 AM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 684 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Shuga
ECU tunes void the warranty 100%...
Shuga,

Not in all cases! Never underestimate the power of giving your service manager some Johnnie Walker as a tip, sometimes you just need to grease some palms.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:15 PM
krabman
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

The palm you most need to grease is one you're not going to meet; that being the regional rep that comes in on major failures to inspect the car. Those guys don't work for the dealership, don't care about your happy relationship with them, and have no mercy: They work for Porsche and their job is to guard the gates. They're well trained and have access to diagnostic tools far in excess of what's available at the dealership. If that man/woman says the repair will not be covered there is nothing the dealer can do about it other than come out of pocket themselves and very few of us are good enough customers to see that happen on an expensive failure. At that point you then come out of your own pocket to fix it or tell them where you want it towed at your expense. You can of course jump up and down shouting "Moss-Mag" which does exactly nothing because you are not in possession of your warranty and never have been, if you want it you're going to have to fight for it. So then maybe it's time to attorney up? Not so fast. Keep in mind that no one is required to warranty something that they did not sell and at the pointy end of the stick Porsche is going to say that by adding power and modifying various parameters you did just that; you changed the car into something that they did not sell you. You will then find that that both the courts and arbitration recognize and adhere to that principle so if Porsche can show it applies, you're dead. It's not just money involved, it's time: You're going to have to follow a procedure that will vary by state but will probably include working all channels at the dealership; service manager, general manager, ownership. While you're doing that you're also going to be contacting the FTC and other entities. The days are going to turn into weeks and the weeks months but you have to show that you tried to resolve the issue by lesser means in court or they can punt until you do. Remember, this entire time your car is sitting where you had it towed to or you came out of pocket and repaired it but hope to recover that money. You're stubborn and you do finally get into court: You know that crap you've read about having to prove something? it's just that, crap. You're attorney will have told you that, probably right before he explained whether you had a case or not and more importantly whether the potential gain was worth the investment and time regardless of whether you've been legitimately wronged. What he'd be referring to there is that the Moss-Mag act does allow you to ask for fees, it does not guarantee them. Those fees can become substantial if you do make it all the way to court, possibly more than the repair. Does that happen, that you win, and yet don't' get fees? Yeah, I won my case and did not get fees. In my case I pushed forward because I believed I was right and it was a matter of principle. But I was young and stupid then. In any event I've digressed; You've made it to court but this is civil court; their position is that you've made a modification that changed the car into something that they did not sell you, your position is liar, liar, pants on fire. What are you disproving? Well, the other side shows up with a pile of graphs, charts, and various data. You must refute or it will be accepted as factual. And yeah, they have to have some basis but nothing they pull out is going to have come from a box of Cracker Jacks, they've been there before and they know what sells. You are in effect in a position of proving you are innocent rather than them proving you are guilty. The only good news here is that the family law attorney you probably went to at the start of this process will likely send you to an outfit that specializes in the work so your guy will also know how to play the game.

It would not be fair comment if I didn't say I am not an attorney: I am not. I'm recalling what I was told 20 years ago by the attorney that I was referred to and probably didn't explain it quite right. In general however the intent of my post is not wrong: The Moss-Mag act has teeth but it's also smoke and mirrors, for most of you it should be enough to know that is was made "with industry input." What you read about it on the internet and particularly on forums is not going to be right and instead is usually woefully wrong. I'm not one of those guys who thinks I need to save the world from modding, I do it myself which is how I found myself in court. I still did it afterwards, my Panny is not stock. You do need to go into it with open eyes though and aware of the potential risks.

I did meet one of those regional reps one fine day. I had a year of free oil changes on one of my Corvettes and had it in for that when they came and told me that an o-ring on an oil pressure sending unit had a leak and they were going to replace it. I had installed headers just a little while before and somewhere on the passenger side it was rubbing. It was quite intermittent I hadn't been able to find it but I knew eventually it would rub enough I would be able to see a mark on the header and wherever contact was being made. I asked the mechanic if he had seen anything while it was up, he hadn't but said he hadn't been looking. He came back in just a few minutes saying he did see a spot and asked me to come look at it. When I got back there sure enough you could seem where the header was coming up against a body seam that protruded about a 1/4 inch. I asked if he'd be willing to grind just a little off the seam which he agreed to only if I stood there and watched and effectively said, when. I think it was the grinding that attracted a non de-script middle age man to come over. He was looking at what we were doing and asked why I had went to 1 7/8ths primaries, most were going a little less because the conventional wisdom was that it would help hold up power in the mid range. I told him that I thought that theory was crap; you've got a stick and 427 cubes, a little mid range would not be missed but the extra on top would be. We chatted a little more and he moved off. I had been growing puzzled because the mechanics were visibly nervous during the brief conversation and I thought maybe he was in ownership and there was a rule against customers being back there or something along those lines. It turned out he was one of those regional reps who had come into the dealership to look at a diesel truck that popped something but those parts couldn't' be ordered until a rep came in and checked for fueling boxes. I'm bringing it up because it says a few things: That rep knew cars, he didn't pull that 1 7/8 primary question out of nowhere. He also didn't do anything about it. My car was not flagged, nothing ever came of it. I always assumed it was a no harm, no foul, thing. Keep in mind the dealership had been working on the car without complaint although the headers where there and couldn't possibly be missed. Never had an issue with them either. To go further the car never blew up, nothing happened, was still running like a top when I traded it. Nor would I have expected anything to happen, it wasn't that much power and hence, not a great deal of extra strain. My point being that mods of the kind most people do are unlikely to cause problems and running into the dark side of that rep isn't something you need to get lucky to avoid, it's what happens to the few poor slobs that get unlucky.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:22 PM
Andy Liu
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

do the turbo spoiler. my question is, are the turbo body kit the same as the other ver?
Old 02-09-2021, 01:07 PM
amelen
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm biased because I had one and am selling it in my signature - but a piggy back tune is a no-brainier on the 4S. Adds a lot of low/mid-end grunt for minimal costs.

Quick Reply: What mods to buy? 2018 Panamera 4s