Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement battery $2500!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 02:18 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Apologies for potentially side-swiping this thread but from all this discussion do I take it that batteries on a 992 are covered by warranty? I have an AGM battery in mine, no RWS. It's has 13,000 miles on it, is driven regularly, and this morning showed signs of a weak battery: would not open the trunk remotely, got error messages when unlocking and starting, and cranked slowly. It fired up and is driving fine, I know I need to get it looked etc.

Reason I ask the question is my expectation is that batteries are not covered by the factory warranty, at least AGM ones.
Old 07-25-2022, 03:03 PM
turbonator
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 60 Posts

I see no reason why it wouldn't be covered under warranty. Even aftermarket batteries you buy from an auto parts store come with a warranty.
Old 07-25-2022, 03:23 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts

Fortunately you are OVER the 12,000 miles for a two year old 911 so it MAY BE covered. Please update us with whatever you find out. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
SamD (07-26-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 04:22 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by russbert
Fortunately you are OVER the 12,000 miles for a two year old 911 so it MAY BE covered. Please update us with whatever you find out. Thanks.
will do
Old 07-26-2022, 02:17 PM
BigBob2024C4S
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2022 992 4s has a defective Lipo battery. Porsche of Tucson installed their test battery and it works fine. After 2 months no word from Germany when I'll get a replacement. I recently left the car in the garage unlocked with the key in the house for three weeks. It started right up.
Old 07-27-2022, 05:22 AM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 147 Posts

I have a C4S with lipo. never had any issues.

couple of things to consider……

Does the car have its tracker activated? I had a loaner C4S and the tracker couldn’t connect, killed the battery in 24hrs

Has the car had its grounding strap bolt recall? Mine has, caused potential battery discharge issues if it not.

If it was a bad battery, it is a warranty item. This 6000mile crap is exactly that… crap. I’d refer your friend to PCNA as this is clearly a break in trust, but also I’d put a call into the dealer principal, bad press taking advantage of an old fella like this!
KLOC (08-02-2022)
Old 07-27-2022, 08:35 AM
67SSWT
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

I am waiting on shipment of a GTS and this thread makes me think that I tried to eliminate as much electronic content as possible from my build. I may be whistling past the boneyard though.
The Germans are great engineers. Electronics and software, not so much. You would think that an OEM battery would be a fairly simple spec.
Case in point, one of the major fails reported of the recently sacked CEO was the poor performance of Cariad, the VW software entity. Amongst their debacles is the Macan EV rollout.
Which is odd considering they have produced EV's
Recently stopped into a service station for a state inspection sticker with my Cayenne GTS (that had a nonfunctioning Bose system) and the owner came out to ask about it. Turns out he was a long time Audi owner.
He starting griping about his E Tron SUV. Amongst the biggest complaints was the very limited range and that he couldn't make the round trip to his cabin of less than 200 miles.
MB electronic fails are epic. Odd that you don't hear much from Lexus, Infiniti, Caddy on that front.
I wonder what lurks with the purported 911 Hybrid of the future?
Old 07-27-2022, 09:38 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

OK, so initial response is that battery is covered by warranty and quick test says it is in need of a charge, despite the car being driven regularly including 12 miles to the dealer. In all my years if a battery still needs charging after that I'd say it can't take a charge properly but anyway, they need to do an 'aging test' on it before a warranty claim can be processed. Given it's an AGM battery that seems odd but whatever, seems like it's going to be covered.
russbert (07-27-2022)
Old 07-27-2022, 11:12 AM
German1967
Pro

Received 597 Likes on 265 Posts

These batteries are a bit of a mystery. I have encountered the occasional blip: *** error message, door handles not extending when touched. The car goes on a CTEK when not driven within the same week. Never had such a finicky battery before. Makes me wonder if they are undersized. Mine is AGM.
aggie57 (07-27-2022)
Old 07-27-2022, 03:25 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
OK, so initial response is that battery is covered by warranty and quick test says it is in need of a charge, despite the car being driven regularly including 12 miles to the dealer. In all my years if a battery still needs charging after that I'd say it can't take a charge properly but anyway, they need to do an 'aging test' on it before a warranty claim can be processed. Given it's an AGM battery that seems odd but whatever, seems like it's going to be covered.
Well that is good news. I take mine in tomorrow for its two year service/maintenance and so far I've had no issues whatsoever (hopefully putting this in writing doesn't jinx it. )

I drive my C2S MT about 1-2 per week, always driving at least 30 minutes and a great deal of the time for an hour as I have quite a few back road circuits I like to drive in the area which are just as good as Tail of the Dragon but with a LOT less traffic. I've not used a battery charger to this point since the winters here are quite mild.
Old 07-27-2022, 04:43 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

It's easier to get a lithium battery replaced because the internal trigger tripped than an AGM. The former effectively has no way to be tested and the latter has a Porsche load test. On my deceased 992 it passed every time but if the outside temperature dropped too briskly, the battery would crap out. On the Cayenne it was replaced twice. I start the conversation saying it's always plugged directly at the battery using the Porsche lithium charger. As per the owner's manual.

Clearly undersized AGM battery. better than the lithium with its internal management malarkey that requires one to buy it from porsche.
Old 07-27-2022, 04:59 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,138 Likes on 607 Posts

went through this with the 992S i had with a AGM. it would go dead in 10 minutes if setting the PCM without the car running. had it replaced under warranty.
the real issue is:
1)the battery is too small 60ah should be at least 90ah.
2) the charging system under charges . i used to see 12.2 running never more than 13.2 with the AGM... the charging system runs much higher on my GT3 never less than 13.5 with the lithium .With the AGM it mainly wants to charge only under braking or deceleration for fuel economy.
3)high parasitic draw when the car sits.
carl
Old 07-27-2022, 05:54 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Well that is good news. I take mine in tomorrow for its two year service/maintenance and so far I've had no issues whatsoever (hopefully putting this in writing doesn't jinx it. )

I drive my C2S MT about 1-2 per week, always driving at least 30 minutes and a great deal of the time for an hour as I have quite a few back road circuits I like to drive in the area which are just as good as Tail of the Dragon but with a LOT less traffic. I've not used a battery charger to this point since the winters here are quite mild.
Same here, never used a battery maintainer in over 50,000 miles on 3 911's. Frankly any suggestion it's needed when the car lives in a mild climate and is used regularly to me supports the next two comments (helpful and thanks )

Originally Posted by John Mclane
It's easier to get a lithium battery replaced because the internal trigger tripped than an AGM. The former effectively has no way to be tested and the latter has a Porsche load test. On my deceased 992 it passed every time but if the outside temperature dropped too briskly, the battery would crap out. On the Cayenne it was replaced twice. I start the conversation saying it's always plugged directly at the battery using the Porsche lithium charger. As per the owner's manual.

Clearly undersized AGM battery. better than the lithium with its internal management malarkey that requires one to buy it from porsche.
Originally Posted by 4carl
went through this with the 992S i had with a AGM. it would go dead in 10 minutes if setting the PCM without the car running. had it replaced under warranty.
the real issue is:
1)the battery is too small 60ah should be at least 90ah.
2) the charging system under charges . i used to see 12.2 running never more than 13.2 with the AGM... the charging system runs much higher on my GT3 never less than 13.5 with the lithium .With the AGM it mainly wants to charge only under braking or deceleration for fuel economy.
3)high parasitic draw when the car sits.
carl
Old 07-27-2022, 07:18 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 283 Posts

Got the windows tinted on the car yesterday at a local/reputable shop. Sure enough, when I picked it up it the CEL was on. I'm sure they left the key on the whole time and raised and lowered the top as needed and the discharged the battery a bit, causing the CEL.

Also got my first tire puncture yesterday (probably can't blame the tint shop) - when it rains it pours. My dealer replaced the tire today. I have wheel and tire insurance through Porsche and I think that's going to pay for itself as I have a curb rash that needs fixing too.
Old 07-27-2022, 08:33 PM
elwademd
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolwnc
Thanks! I have a 997.1 but I drive it at least every few days. As you saw on the opening of this thread I put this on for a friend with a 992 4CS. He is 86 years old and was not aware of the battery short comings. The last thing I told him was to contact his salesman who he has bought 10 PORSCHES from to see if they would cover this for " Good Will " gester!. Stay tuned.....
what was the outcome for your friend?!

Quick Reply: Replacement battery $2500!