Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement battery $2500!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 02:30 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

I'm firmly in the 'a car, any car, should not need to be on a charger when not in use' camp and also believe that warranty 'terms' are just a place to start discussions. There's a principle called 'fit for purpose' and in this case it's incumbent on Porsche to make these cars just that.
The following 2 users liked this post by aggie57:
BondJ (08-08-2022), elwademd (08-08-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 08:09 AM
BondJ
Pro

Received 329 Likes on 227 Posts

Porsche has a checkered history: chains/tensioners/cracking cylinder liners/ bore scoring/IMS/RMS/PCM/PDK etc….now we have battery-gate. The company clearly believes it’s Teflon. We keep buying its product so perhaps it is…
The following users liked this post:
elwademd (08-08-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 02:43 PM
KLOC
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by aquatone
Yes tried that with no luck with the CTEK. Anyway, I found some comments from other 992 drivers that the CTEK just does not work on a discharged Li battery. Rather just jump-start the car old school from another car. That worked and after driving 20 miles I was charged again. Then hooked up the CTEK to top off the Li battery which all seems to work now. Nervous about taking it off as not sure I trust this battery.
Owner’s Manual

The battery of another vehicle can be used for starting and as an external power supply with the help of jumper cables. Both batteries must have a nominal voltage of 12 V. The capacity (Ah) of the donor battery MUST NOT BE substantially less than that of the flat battery.

The LiPo4 battery is rated at 60 Ah. Ah's are required to wake up the LiPo4 battery. The Charge-O-Mat Pro can't do that.

Porsche Technical Information - Service 31/20 ENU 2700

There is no approved battery tester for the lithium-ion battery. The existing battery testers do not work for lithium-ion batteries because the algorithms for the acid/gel/AGM batteries are different.

By evaluating the actual values/measured values in the PIWIS Tester, it is possible that the status of the battery can be checked by evaluating the values that are actually present. The battery must already be installed in the vehicle at this time.

Current values can be read out under Actual values > 12 V system in the gateway control unit using the PIWIS Tester.

To find out whether the battery is discharged or overcharged, connect the vehicle to a power supply and check the following actual values in the gateway control unit:
  • Battery sensor temperature
  • Usable battery charge
Determining whether the battery is discharged doesn't actually require PIWIS. It's fairly obvious.

If a dealer tells you that your battery has been tested and is just fine, the dealer is prevaricating.
If overcharged, the battery is landfill.
If discharged, ask for the GCU values determined through PIWIS.

Important!

Here is the ONLY charger Porsche authorizes for LiPo4 recharge.

"Only use Deutronic charger VAS 5908."

That Deutronic charger is available through Snap-On, for $1,835.17.

Old 08-08-2022, 03:05 PM
BondJ
Pro

Received 329 Likes on 227 Posts

“That Deutronic charger is available through Snap-On, for $1,835.17.”

So, we have spend nearly the cost of a replacement just to charge the battery that should never have crapped out in the first place. I know that’s not funny but…I can’t stop laughing. FM!
Old 08-08-2022, 03:20 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by BondJ
“That Deutronic charger is available through Snap-On, for $1,835.17.”

So, we have spend nearly the cost of a replacement just to charge the battery that should never have crapped out in the first place. I know that’s not funny but…I can’t stop laughing. FM!
Not really, if the battery tripped the connector it may not take charge, even with that model.
KLOC (08-08-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 05:26 PM
Bobshiv
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brianja
Based on that cost, his 992 clearly used the lithium battery, which means it has rear-wheel steering.

I've only had my car for 1.5 months and now have 600 miles on it. I, too, had a battery issues. The first time required the car to have a visit from roadside assistance (jump start) after the car had sat for only 3 days (a long weekend). Three days later the battery was completely dead and the car needed to be brought in for service on a flatbed for attention. They decided the battery was bad and changed it out for me under warranty (thank goodness). I saw the warranty claim paperwork and I believe that the bill would have been $2850 with labor if it wasn't under warranty. I was lucky that they had one in stock and could have me back on the road in 24 hours after they monitored the car overnight to make sure there was nothing strange causing a drain on the new battery.

I've had the car back with the new battery for two weeks now with no problems.
Same story. '20 C4S Cab. Battery fail. Quoted replacement cost -- $3,676.00, Quoted delivery time -- 2 months. Car is parked at dealer for almost one month. In service Oct '19. 9,400 mi. No warranty on battery because of low mileage UNLESS I can show battery tender use (how?). Car is a daily driver in spite of low mileage. Unreasonable to expect a battery tender installation every day.

Last edited by Bobshiv; 08-10-2022 at 09:41 PM.
KLOC (08-11-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 08:00 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

[quote=Bobshiv]Same story. '20 C4S Cab. Battery fail. Quoted replacement cost -- $3,676.00, Quoted delivery time -- 2 months. In service Oct '19. 9,400 mi. No warranty on battery because of low mileage UNLESS I can show battery tender use (how?). Car is a daily driver in spite of low mileage. Unreasonable to expect a battery tender installation every day.[/

Same happened to me. I showed the charge-o-mat (they won't accept anything else (!)). They had no option but to submit as warranty. It's unreasonable to prove use. Burden of the proof is on their end but that's not how VW operates.
If it's a higher priced ticket, there's no certainty the warranty will be respected. That's from recent experiences.
I've had Porsches for the last 20 years. I'm out soon as I can replace the cars. Premium price for discount customer care.

PS- Amazon delivers tequipment really quick.
Old 08-11-2022, 03:18 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobshiv
Same story. '20 C4S Cab. Battery fail. Quoted replacement cost -- $3,676.00, Quoted delivery time -- 2 months. Car is parked at dealer for almost one month. In service Oct '19. 9,400 mi. No warranty on battery because of low mileage UNLESS I can show battery tender use (how?). Car is a daily driver in spite of low mileage. Unreasonable to expect a battery tender installation every day.
warranty 'terms' are just a starting point. argue 'fit for purpose'; if they say it is when a tender is used ask them why a tender is not included with the car.
Old 08-11-2022, 04:13 AM
KLOC
Rennlist Member

If you have the My Porsche app or web account you can get your daily usage via the Trip Control function, Since Start tab.
Old 08-11-2022, 04:21 AM
KLOC
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=John Mclane;18296515]
Same story. '20 C4S Cab. Battery fail. Quoted replacement cost -- $3,676.00, Quoted delivery time -- 2 months. In service Oct '19. 9,400 mi. No warranty on battery because of low mileage UNLESS I can show battery tender use (how?). Car is a daily driver in spite of low mileage. Unreasonable to expect a battery tender installation every day.[/

Same happened to me. I showed the charge-o-mat (they won't accept anything else (!)). They had no option but to submit as warranty. It's unreasonable to prove use. Burden of the proof is on their end but that's not how VW operates.
If it's a higher priced ticket, there's no certainty the warranty will be respected. That's from recent experiences.
I've had Porsches for the last 20 years. I'm out soon as I can replace the cars. Premium price for discount customer care.

PS- Amazon delivers tequipment really quick.
Given the state of many Porsche authorized service centres, there are plenty of 992’s with lithium batteries brought in for service and left sitting in the lot for lengthy periods of time. None of them are put on Charge-O-Mat.

My Porsche parts person informed me that Porsche is well aware of the problems customers are having in keeping the Charge-O-Mat Charge-O-Mating and a new version of the thing is in the works.

I keep my Charge-O-Mat in the frunk.
Proof? Look in the frunk.
Old 08-11-2022, 08:55 AM
Bobshiv
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I also have a '21 AMG GT53. Just towed after suffering 2nd battery failure. From past experience I believe it is another bad 48V battery. So far MB has not charged for replacement. Delivered 04/21, 6,377 miles. 1st failure occurred at 450 miles.

'20 C4 Cab
'21 AMG GT53
'10 Audi S5 Cab

Last edited by Bobshiv; 08-11-2022 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:47 AM
sali1980
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 66 Posts

[QUOTE=KLOC;18297072]
Originally Posted by John Mclane

Given the state of many Porsche authorized service centres, there are plenty of 992’s with lithium batteries brought in for service and left sitting in the lot for lengthy periods of time. None of them are put on Charge-O-Mat.

My Porsche parts person informed me that Porsche is well aware of the problems customers are having in keeping the Charge-O-Mat Charge-O-Mating and a new version of the thing is in the works.

I keep my Charge-O-Mat in the frunk.
Proof? Look in the frunk.
I went to Suncoast Porsche parts to order charge o mat but for 992 the instruction say to directly connect clamps to battery (cannot use cigarette liter port). Is that accurate?

thanks
Old 08-11-2022, 10:48 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
I'm firmly in the 'a car, any car, should not need to be on a charger when not in use' camp and also believe that warranty 'terms' are just a place to start discussions. There's a principle called 'fit for purpose' and in this case it's incumbent on Porsche to make these cars just that.
"Fit for purpose" does not mean perfect in all respects.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:50 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 150 Posts

[QUOTE=sali1980;18297268]
Originally Posted by KLOC

I went to Suncoast Porsche parts to order charge o mat but for 992 the instruction say to directly connect clamps to battery (cannot use cigarette liter port). Is that accurate?

thanks
I have a standard AGM/lead-acid battery. I bought a Schumacher microprocessor-controlled 3A charger/maintainer ($47 at Walmart--I got it for $7 (!) on clearance).
Connected pigtail directly to battery terminals.
I've had no problems in almost one year of use. Battery stays 100% charged.
My experience using similar chargers on my motorcycle is that the battery will also last a lot longer. I've typically gotten eight to ten years out of a battery.

Last edited by garthg; 08-11-2022 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:52 AM
sportmode
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

It is my understanding (from this forum) that all Canadian delivered 992's come standard with lithium batteries, irrespective of RWS. Are members north of the border experiencing these same charging issues?

My 2021 C2S with RWS has less that 2,000 miles now (have had it for one year) and gets driven once a week/ten days. I've had no issues with the battery so far - no tender. I'm planning a PCA road trip soon and, after reading this thread, I am concerned about getting stranded miles from nowhere because of a dead battery. Is it true that keeping the doors locked drains the battery faster? Normally I keep it unlocked in my garage when not being driven. Thanks all.

Quick Reply: Replacement battery $2500!