Sponsored by:

Replacement battery $2500!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 10:58 AM
mksz51
Pro

Received 742 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
I agree, my POV only may not be worth the argument if something fails and they blame the charger. Amazon has pricing from 100-150 and a slew of products, sorry I just don’t trust manufacturers when they what to blame the customer for some electrical problem.
Understand. I purchased the CTEK MXS 5.0 from Amazon for $81. Has worked perfectly. There are MANY models of CTEK chargers - that is certainly true.
The following users liked this post:
Maverick787 (02-25-2022)
Old 02-25-2022, 11:59 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Basically what your car was doing was shutting down functions not needed, but it still draws power ……think about your clocks, radio settings things that use memory still draws power of course minimal. Over time it reduces battery life ……..the exotics manufacturers, Ferrari, Lambo, MAC push charging really hard because of the issues with waking up a dead car can cause some reprogramming issues. A sitting car for a month will be zero issues starting, but charging takes 2 seconds and avoids what we’re all talking about.
Yes, I know that. My point is that these fancy new batteries are just, well, silly. At least in cars like these. I drove that 997 for 5 years and it still had the same battery when I sold it as the day it was delivered. As the saying goes, don’t fix something that isn’t broken.
Old 02-25-2022, 12:52 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Yes, I know that. My point is that these fancy new batteries are just, well, silly. At least in cars like these. I drove that 997 for 5 years and it still had the same battery when I sold it as the day it was delivered. As the saying goes, don’t fix something that isn’t broken.
‘Yup, I hear ya. I’m actually curious why it was optional in the 991’s vs the 992’s with RWS? My Speedster has RWS as my previous GT cars with the standard battery. You guys have those fancy 992’s
Old 02-25-2022, 01:37 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Interesting I just read my manual for battery warranty

Old 02-25-2022, 01:44 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

No offense, but nothing new that hasn’t already been beaten to death in prior posts. File under “helpful hints” and “recommendations”.

I suspect most car owners already know this…if not, they should. Batteries deplete over time, and need to be “topped off” by either driving the car, or putting it on a battery tender.
Old 02-25-2022, 01:50 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
No offense, but nothing new that hasn’t already been beaten to death in prior posts. File under “helpful hints” and “recommendations”.

I suspect most car owners already know this…if not, they should. Batteries deplete over time, and need to be “topped off” by either driving the car, or putting it on a battery tender.
Not sure most knew hence the thread. I only added this because it’s from a 991 warranty manual minus the lithium battery which drove the conversation. Think there is still confusion saying the lithium battery is needed for RWS steering which is not true unless you have the answer??
Old 02-25-2022, 02:05 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Not sure most knew hence the thread. I only added this because it’s from a 991 warranty manual minus the lithium battery which drove the conversation. Think there is still confusion saying the lithium battery is needed for RWS steering which is not true unless you have the answer??
Porsche mentions there is a 24 lbs decrease in weight, and compensates for the weight gain associated with the RWS mechanism. Since the RWS is probably found more often in cars that are tracked more, weight savings is important to those people. That’s why they were intitlly put on Porsche’s highest performance cars.

I would also I add that I read, back when I was looking to option the RWS, that the LiPO4 battery has greater current surge capabilities than non Li batteries. I don’t know the breakdown of what systems draw the most, but suspect that the RWS motors do add to the overall electrical load on the car’s battery. I suspect the RWS will still work with a normal battery, but possibly not as effectively/range of motion as with the Li battery?

As a side note - In discussions involving reducing weight, eventually the conversation turns to whether to option a sunroof, or not? For those concerned with reducing the cars weight, eliminating the sunroof option is a way to do that, just as optioning the LiPO4 battery.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-25-2022 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-25-2022, 02:15 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,542 Likes on 5,065 Posts

At the risk of repeating the obvious and to no offense to anyone here, but when some people say that they drive their 911 regularly (or semi-regularly) and still find a dead battery after leaving it parked for a few days, may not really be driving the car. At least not driving it to fully recharge the battery.

Generally, it takes about 20-30 minutes of continuous freeway driving to fully recharge a battery.

One thing that's not good for the battery is taking a lot of short driving trips in a row. There's nothing wrong with tackling a bunch of errands in the 911, but if you're constantly starting and stopping your engine with only a few minutes of driving in between, it will drain the battery pretty quickly.

Try to take at least a 20 minute drive on the freeway once a week to give the time necessary for the battery to recharge.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
BudFox6 (02-25-2022), mikey94025 (02-26-2022)
Old 02-25-2022, 02:34 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Porsche mentions there is a 24 lbs decrease in weight, and compensates for the weight gain associated with the RWS mechanism. Since the RWS is probably found more often in cars that are tracked more, weight savings is important to those people. That’s why they were intitlly put on Porsche’s highest performance cars.

I would also I add that I read, back when I was looking to option the RWS, that the LiPO4 battery has greater current surge capabilities than non Li batteries. I don’t know the breakdown of what systems draw the most, but suspect that the RWS motors do add to the overall electrical load on the car’s battery. I suspect the RWS will still work with a normal battery, but possibly not as effectively/range of motion as with the Li battery?

As a side note - In discussions involving reducing weight, eventually the conversation turns to whether to option a sunroof, or not? For those concerned with reducing the cars weight, eliminating the sunroof option is a way to do that, just as optioning the LiPO4 battery.
Yup, I call BS when Porsche says weight savings 20 lbs for a battery has no statical difference on the track unless you’re a pro. I tracked both my GT3 RS’s and I had a running joke with track friends lose 25 lbs if you find it important. Oddly enough less GT cars are being really tracked because you start tipping 300k, and put it into the wall very expensive consumable. My hard track buddies have moved to much lighter race cars around 2200-2300 pounds vs a 3100 lbs GT car.
Old 02-25-2022, 03:30 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Yup, I call BS when Porsche says weight savings 20 lbs for a battery has no statical difference on the track unless you’re a pro. I tracked both my GT3 RS’s and I had a running joke with track friends lose 25 lbs if you find it important. Oddly enough less GT cars are being really tracked because you start tipping 300k, and put it into the wall very expensive consumable. My hard track buddies have moved to much lighter race cars around 2200-2300 pounds vs a 3100 lbs GT car.
Agree on the Porsche hype/marketing. I only report on what Porsche says is their reasons behind. From a purely technical perspective, I do believe that the additional electrical demand of the RWS mechanism does put greater electrical demands on the battery…so in that regards, going to a Li battery makes logical sense to me.

Have two college buddies who track every weekend that the weather is cooperative. Both have dedicated track cars that have been stripped, full cages and on slicks…never asked, but assume the weight is well below 3K lbs.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-25-2022 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2022, 03:47 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Agree on the Porsche hype/marketing. I only report on what Porsche says is their reasons behind. From a purely technical perspective, I do believe that the additional electrical demand of the RWS mechanism does put greater electrical demands on the battery…so in that regards, going to a Li battery makes logical sense to me.

Have two college buddies who track every weekend that the weather is cooperative. Both have dedicated track cars that have been stripped, full cages and on slicks…never asked, but assume the weight is well below 3K lbs.
yes stripped you can get around 2300 lbs easy pending the model ….3100 lbs on a track is still a tad heavy once you drove a 600lb lighter car.
Old 02-25-2022, 03:54 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,007 Likes on 566 Posts

I didn't read most the other pages... but I have read the Porsche bulletins...

There is abolutely NO WAY that a Dealership can deny warranty for not driving 6000 miles miles on you battery. I mean they can and will certainly deny it... but legally it won't hold up at all. This is because the battery does not need to be warrantied according to Miles driven. It can be said that you just left it on a Battery Charger and that does the same thing the Car would do by driving miles. It has nothing to do with Miles driven.

That is the frustrating boloney of Porsche and it Dealers, to deny warranties on everything, its a massive revenue stream and they tried it on me for another issue in my GT3RS and I said.... " uh... your full of boloney and I will prove it out easily in court..." They came back the next day to say it would be fixed under warranty. For me it was a Parking Brake Sensor being stuck and they said our "aftermarket" Antigravity Battery caused the issue. I had the battery in the car almost 3 years prior, but also being I know full well that a standard voltage battery cannot cause electrical parts to fail, I called their bluff. If I didn't know how DC electrical systems work, they would easily have duped me. Anyway the point here is that is that you guys will recieve this typical Porsche treatment of blatant lying from your Dealer in most every case and its sad to say that, but that is how most dealers work (yes some dealer are nice too, but they aren't your friend). I just advocate pushing back on these Cars that are only a few years old and Porsche or the Dealer who are saying "you messed it up..." . Its just boloney, Car like these aren't that delicate, and if they are then the dealer and Porsche should just fix it.. I would not advocate this unless I had seen it for myself and seen people on Renn stating the dealer is saying this or that..

Another massive point here is that the whole point of a Lithium Battery is to have double and more the lifespan of your Lead/Acid battery. They have built-in protections against being over-discharged and much more. Yet we are already hearing of many issues with this supposedly state of the art $2500 dollar lithium Battery. So something is up here, these batteries should not be failing of having issues in less time than a Lead/Acid Battery.

Now if you don't maintain the Lithium battery at all, and let it drain until it hits it protective sleep mode... then wait a few months more.... well then there is a potential for it to over-discharge in the background after the protections kick in and that would definately be a lack of User maintainence. But a lithium protection should kick in then you should have about 1 to 2 months of of sleep mode for the battery to have enough capacity to stay in the proper voltage range and not discharge into the damage area. Keep in mind when the battery goes into it protective sleep mode after being over-discharged there should only be a very minimal draw on it from it own BMS.... but it should not be just discharging a less than a month to the point of damage.

Also getting only 3 days of storage on a 60AH Battery is crazy high parasitic draw. That should be brought to the dealer's attention immediately. I have not owned a 992 variant, so I cannot be specific for that Car, but the 991s did not do this, nor do any other brands that I have ever heard of so it might be some other issue at work there so should immediately be brought to the dealer and say look into this. They, of course, will says it normal... but it certainly isn't, and it should be brought up so you have a written record of it to fight them later....becaue they will blame it on you.

Last edited by Antigravity; 02-25-2022 at 11:19 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar... ugg... writing to fast.
Old 02-25-2022, 03:58 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

RE: “There is abolutely NO WAY that a Dealership can deny warranty for not driving 6000 miles miles on you battery. I mean they can and will certainly deny it... but legally it won't hold up at all. This is because the battery does not need to be warrantied according to MIles driven. It can be said that you just left it on a Battery Charger and that does the same thing the Car would do by driving miles. It has nothing to do with Miles driven.”

Thanks you! Exactly what I have been saying for more than 2 days now….all one needs to do is read the warranty, or manual to see all Porsche says is “recommended” and “helpful hints”, At no point does Porsche mention that the battery warranty would be voided if the owner doesn’t do X or Y. That said, there might be a shady dealership that tries to play some mind trip with the customer? That wouldn’t surprise me.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-25-2022 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-25-2022, 04:09 PM
orthobird
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

i just purchased a 2019 Turbo s with 5900 miles, arrives tomorrow:

Should I replace battery before it goes south?

Old 02-25-2022, 05:58 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by orthobird
i just purchased a 2019 Turbo s with 5900 miles, arrives tomorrow:

Should I replace battery before it goes south?
Can't tell if you're joking. No. This thread is based on one or two isolated incidents. Vast majority of us owners think about our batteries like ... never.

Quick Reply: Replacement battery $2500!