Sponsored by:

Replacement battery $2500!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 01:53 PM
Coolwnc
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
As far as I am aware, the only “shortcoming” associated with the LiPO4 battery is the high cost when you do have to replace. Hopefully, that changes with time?

By the way, when we lived in Charlotte, our house was on Lake Norman @The Peninsula. Exit 28, I believe? So an exit or two up from you? Never warmed up to the NASCAR crowd that permitted the area. But lake living was a lot of fun. I remember when we first moved there, our real estate agent, who had a thick Southern accent said to us, after telling her we were interested in houses either on the lake, or on a golf course….she said, and I quote, “Allan, they will always be building more golf course, but they ain’t making anymore water”. Best local wisdom I ever received!
That's funny! The LKN Porsche club meets every month at Peninsula Boat Club.I live in Skybrook which is a golf community.
Old 02-28-2022, 02:06 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolwnc
That's funny! The LKN Porsche club meets every month at Peninsula Boat Club.I live in Skybrook which is a golf community.
It’s a lovely area with a lot of beautiful homes.

When we first moved there, I was a golfer and had never been a boater, so my preference was to get a house on a golf course. But our real estate agent’s advice made a lot of sense from a financial (resale) standpoint. It paid off when we sold the house and moved back up north. I learned how enjoyable it was living on the water and boating…ie, teaching my kids how to ski/wake-board was absolutely amazing. Where we live now is also on the water, and still enjoy boating….but not quite the same once my boys grew up and away.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-28-2022 at 02:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Coolwnc (02-28-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 01:26 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by jrnottarts
What about RWS makes the battery so dang expensive?
The 3 P's": Proprietary, Profit, Porsche.
Old 03-01-2022, 03:12 PM
porscheprestige
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Exclamation

GUYS, DO YOU LOCK your cars, ALWAYS???
Lock the cars and it will save you 75% of the issues. Lock the car and trickle charger and 100% of your battery issues will be gone.
The moment you lock the car, it is going to sleep. If you DO NOT LOCK the car...it will be in stand-by mode and it drains the battery.

I can lock the car and NO trickle charger and it will be good for one month. It will still start. Leave the car unlocked, and 10-14 days later ( even on a new battery ) and YOU MIGHT have issues.

Originally Posted by kim9701
What's with all these battery discharge issue with German cars? My BMW 7 Series and X5 had this challenge and I frequently had to trickle charge. My current Jeep Wrangler, on the other hand, has no battery charging issues even with low Covid miles. I am hoping my new 992 (no RWS) when it arrives, can keep the current momentum going.
I refuse to believe nobody mentioned this, but I'm sure our Porsche fans in here did. I just do not have the time to go thru all posts.
Technology. The more technology, the more they drain the battery...

Old 03-01-2022, 03:29 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheprestige
Lock the cars and it will save you 75% of the issues. Lock the car and trickle charger and 100% of your battery issues will be gone.
The moment you lock the car, it is going to sleep. If you DO NOT LOCK the car...it will be in stand-by mode and it drains the battery.

I can lock the car and NO trickle charger and it will be good for one month. It will still start. Leave the car unlocked, and 10-14 days later ( even on a new battery ) and YOU MIGHT have issues.

I refuse to believe nobody mentioned this, but I'm sure our Porsche fans in here did. I just do not have the time to go thru all posts.
I have seen many posts and threads about battery drain and I have never seen this mentioned before.
Very valuable information.
Old 03-01-2022, 03:59 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 663 Posts

Can you cite a source? I've been hearing this for many years, yet it is not true for my cars. People said this for my 981 and for my Spyder, but I've left both for 3 weeks many times unlocked in my garage, with no battery drain. So I say it's certainly not true for those cars. (And it's not true for my two other German cars) I don't have my 992 yet, but it seems pretty suspect because I can't imagine anyone routinely locking their car in the garage. Plus, as referenced above, the owner's manual for the 992 says that if you leave the car for more than 3 weeks, you should attach a battery maintainer. It does not mention anything about locking it. Therefore, I can't believe it until I see a reference. It's certainly not "normal" to lock a car inside a garage, so if it really made any difference, I'd imagine it would be in the owner's manual.

The manual says, "Switch off the ignition when leaving the vehicle." It says nothing about locking the car.

Last edited by Denny Swift; 03-01-2022 at 04:05 PM.
peterdouglas (03-01-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 04:13 PM
porscheprestige
Instructor

^^ I'm sorry, but I have no time to argue.
I will tell you that I was a service advisor for a German brand for 6 years. And did a lot of training on the matter.

Porsche writing in their Owner's manual " lock your car". Imagine ????
And have , sorry to say it, but "little bit**es" like you saying : but I bought a 100 000$ to be obliged to lock it !! I can do whatever I want...you must cover my battery under warranty.
And the same goes for the ones driving 5 minutes to go to gym and back to their house: " but why my 150 000$ car does not start ? Did not pay this kind of money for my car not to start. "

Just my way of treating ignorance. ..
Old 03-01-2022, 04:22 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

I will tell you that I was a service advisor for a German brand for 6 years. And did a lot of training on the matter.

And have , sorry to say it, but "little bit**es" like you saying : but I bought a 100 000$ to be obliged to lock it !! I can do whatever I want...you must cover my battery under warranty.
And the same goes for the ones driving 5 minutes to go to gym and back to their house: " but why my 150 000$ car does not start ? Did not pay this kind of money for my car not to start. "

Now that's funny! LOL

Old 03-01-2022, 04:40 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

Love the internet and forums where everyone is an expert - Well hate to tell you, but this is just not true. With all your training and what not...

I have a LiPo battery on my current 992 Targa 4s and had it on my 992 C4S prior to this one, both had RWS, and do not lock my car and I leave the keys in it. It can and has gone well over a month, no issues. We did a test on another site/forum with my 720s with even smaller lightweight LiPo, the keys in it or leaving unlocked does not keep these cars active, after a period they go into sleep mode (even with the key fob in the car). If you only get 10-14 days, something else is likely wrong. PS. The reason for the test, is everyone there was saying that cars stay active unlocked (or with the key in them) - the amount of drain for them to stay awake would kill the battery in a matter of days. It does not. On the 992's You actually loose comfort entry (where the door handles pop out when approached) after 60 minutes - and you know why - the car goes into sleep mode.

The one cool thing that my 720s does, which I wish more cars would do. When you shut it off, it actually displays how many days it estimates is left on the battery before failure (full on the 720s is 45 days). I do not let it get below 10 days, as it can go pretty quick from the tests I mentioned we did. It would be nice to have that displayed somewhere on the 992's - so you have some indication of where it it from a charge perspective.

Not saying if you do go an extended period (longer than ~4 weeks) a battery charger is a great idea and cheap investment to ensure no issues. I do connect a pig tail all my cars and keep them on a charger when expecting not to drive for extended period (as a practice). But leaving them unlocked is not a problem. Actually many will say the parasitic drain from the alarm being active is also an issue over longer periods.
Old 03-01-2022, 05:14 PM
porscheprestige
Instructor

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
Love the internet and forums where everyone is an expert - Well hate to tell you, but this is just not true. With all your training and what not...

I have a LiPo battery on my current 992 Targa 4s and had it on my 992 C4S prior to this one, both had RWS, and do not lock my car and I leave the keys in it. It can and has gone well over a month, no issues. We did a test on another site/forum with my 720s with even smaller lightweight LiPo, the keys in it or leaving unlocked does not keep these cars active, after a period they go into sleep mode (even with the key fob in the car). If you only get 10-14 days, something else is likely wrong. PS. The reason for the test, is everyone there was saying that cars stay active unlocked (or with the key in them) - the amount of drain for them to stay awake would kill the battery in a matter of days. It does not. On the 992's You actually loose comfort entry (where the door handles pop out when approached) after 60 minutes - and you know why - the car goes into sleep mode.

The one cool thing that my 720s does, which I wish more cars would do. When you shut it off, it actually displays how many days it estimates is left on the battery before failure (full on the 720s is 45 days). I do not let it get below 10 days, as it can go pretty quick from the tests I mentioned we did. It would be nice to have that displayed somewhere on the 992's - so you have some indication of where it it from a charge perspective.

Not saying if you do go an extended period (longer than ~4 weeks) a battery charger is a great idea and cheap investment to ensure no issues. I do connect a pig tail all my cars and keep them on a charger when expecting not to drive for extended period (as a practice). But leaving them unlocked is not a problem. Actually many will say the parasitic drain from the alarm being active is also an issue over longer periods.
There is some truth in there, although you are still in-denial ...
A locked car will drain battery less than a car left with the key inside. 100%. Even if it goes to "stand by" mode. And not sleep mode.
Many times , but many times...I solved issues for customers , just by telling them to try for one week to lock their cars and see if there is a difference.
And of course...there are so many factors, we will never have same situation twice. Older battery ( 1,2,3 or 4 years will not react same way ), somebody who drives 5 minutes, vs. 15 minutes or 30 minutes and more...
Sorry to say it, but I will definitely believe the engineers they built the cars, and my previous experiences with a lot of clients, before you. In the end, in most cases, it worked what I was told by the engineers at the factory by 2014. And I doubt many things have changed since...although is it that bad to lock your car in your garage and try, if you really want to ?

Old 03-01-2022, 05:55 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

There is some truth in there, although you are still in-denial ...
A locked car will drain battery less than a car left with the key inside. 100%. Even if it goes to "stand by" mode. And not sleep mode.
Many times , but many times...I solved issues for customers , just by telling them to try for one week to lock their cars and see if there is a difference.
And of course...there are so many factors, we will never have same situation twice. Older battery ( 1,2,3 or 4 years will not react same way ), somebody who drives 5 minutes, vs. 15 minutes or 30 minutes and more...
Sorry to say it, but I will definitely believe the engineers they built the cars, and my previous experiences with a lot of clients, before you. In the end, in most cases, it worked what I was told by the engineers at the factory by 2014. And I doubt many things have changed since...although is it that bad to lock your car in your garage and try, if you really want to ?
Maybe if you hold your breath until you turn blue and have your mommy snap a photo just before you pass out, we’ll believe you….
peterdouglas (08-05-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 06:00 PM
porscheprestige
Instructor

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
Maybe if you hold your breath until you turn blue and have your mommy snap a photo just before you pass out, we’ll believe you….
We live in a free country and everyone has the right to be stupid, but you are abusing the privilege.
Old 03-02-2022, 06:03 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

We live in a free country and everyone has the right to be stupid, but you are abusing the privilege.
You're right. That was stupid and childish of me. I apologize. Was just busting on you, but I went too far.

So here's my polite response:
I've researched it, and can find absolutely nothing that supports your theory, and it doesn't make sense to me based on my experience. If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say that locking the car would cause (if anything) faster parasitic battery drain, because locking sets the alarm and initiates LEDs flashing. Granted LEDs don't consume much energy, but they consume some. Here's what the manual says about the alarm:

Also, per the manual page posted above, the directions for storing the car for extended periods say to do very obvious things:
1. Switch off the ignition
2. Close the doors
3, Close the lids
4. Switch off any electrical consumers (like perhaps a radar detector, dash cam, or iPod that are on a continually hot fuse)

It doesn't say to lock the car. The above 4 items are as obvious as can be and don't need to be said, yet Porsche states the obvious anyway. Locking the car when it's in your garage would certainly not be normal, yet Porsche doesn't say anything about it. Plus, my experience (and many others) is that leaving a car unlocked in no way causes the battery to drain.

I'm done unless someone can cite any legitimate reference and/or provide a technical explanation as to how leaving a "buttoned up" but unlocked car could possibly cause parasitic battery drainage that wouldn't occur if the car was locked. Perhaps leaving the key in the car (something I would not do) would cause parasitic drain because it would try to "communicate" with the car. I could possibly see that, but I can't see any other scenario.

Last edited by Denny Swift; 03-02-2022 at 06:06 PM.
peterdouglas (08-05-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 06:12 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
You're right. That was stupid and childish of me. I apologize. Was just busting on you, but I went too far.

So here's my polite response:
I've researched it, and can find absolutely nothing that supports your theory, and it doesn't make sense to me based on my experience. If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say that locking the car would cause (if anything) faster parasitic battery drain, because locking sets the alarm and initiates LEDs flashing. Granted LEDs don't consume much energy, but they consume some. Here's what the manual says about the alarm:

Also, per the manual page posted above, the directions for storing the car for extended periods say to do very obvious things:
1. Switch off the ignition
2. Close the doors
3, Close the lids
4. Switch off any electrical consumers (like perhaps a radar detector, dash cam, or iPod that are on a continually hot fuse)

It doesn't say to lock the car. The above 4 items are as obvious as can be and don't need to be said, yet Porsche states the obvious anyway. Locking the car when it's in your garage would certainly not be normal, yet Porsche doesn't say anything about it. Plus, my experience (and many others) is that leaving a car unlocked in no way causes the battery to drain.

I'm done unless someone can cite any legitimate reference and/or provide a technical explanation as to how leaving a "buttoned up" but unlocked car could possibly cause parasitic battery drainage that wouldn't occur if the car was locked. Perhaps leaving the key in the car (something I would not do) would cause parasitic drain because it would try to "communicate" with the car. I could possibly see that, but I can't see any other scenario.
I tend to agree with your sound reasoning that by locking the car, there will be additional parasitic current draw from the alarm system.

With that said, and I don’t know enough about Porsche’s electrical system…but on my M4, even if I turn the car off and walk away, the stereo and PCM are still active for some period of time, and then shut down. ONLY when I lock the car, do all systems shut down, immediately. My point being - some of Porsche’s systems may remain active until the car is locked? Don’t know? But they are on the BMW.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 03-02-2022 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-02-2022, 06:13 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

LOL, the banter back and forth. Who Cares? What someone DOES with their 992 doesn't affect you - it only affects them. Post your opinion, people will either go with it or not. Then leave it be - the back and forth sways no one.

and,,,,,Bob's Your Uncle.
The following 2 users liked this post by drcollie:
mikey94025 (03-03-2022), porscheprestige (03-03-2022)

Quick Reply: Replacement battery $2500!