Sponsored by:

992 Carrera OBD Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 11:02 AM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by catdog2
Car is US-spec C2S 2021 without any mods and has a manual transmission and had 4200 miles at the time and now has 5500 miles on the odometer.

Car has had the Softronic tune for the past 6 months and > 1000 miles in both summer and winter weather using 93 octane fuel without any issues and pulls like a freight train with excellent high boost and without any stuttering or CEL that were present with the various maps sent by M-engineering.

As I said M-engineering were great to deal with during the process but please let us not simply blindly assume they are correct that the spark plugs or injectors or whatever was wrong with the car that's why it stuttered and got a CEL light when flooring it at 4-5k rpm in my case.

Case in point since removing their tune and installing the Softronic tune I have not had a single issue with a very strong performing tune. Can we please leave the arrogance at the door and admit that there are certain things that were not solved by their team despite their excellence and were by their competitor.
I assume they do, but does Softronics retain all the factory safety’s such as, knock and air/fuel threshold same as stock instead of increasing them? I know a lot of cars these days also have the factory throttle shutoff should there be excessive boost spikes and wondering if they retained that as well. I’m assuming the cooling parameters and strategy is probably untouched.

I used to tune my own cars back in the day from piggybacks to standalone but I’m sure a lot has changed and hundreds of more tables than what I ran with.
Old 01-23-2024, 11:42 AM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,565 Likes on 567 Posts

There are quite literally thousands upon thousands of tables to modify on a single 992 ROM. Tuning these cars is not as simple as modifying a single VE, timing, and boost table. There is a quite a lot that goes into getting running right using factory strategies.
Here is a screenshot from our tuning software we built in-house called M-Composer, this is from a 992 Carrera and it has 24,300 tables available to modify. Of course not all of these are touched, but that is the scale of what is going on to run these cars on the modern ECU's that Porsche puts in them.

Please keep this thread on-topic with M-Engineering products and inquiries. This is our sponsored thread. This is not a QA for our competitors. Your best bet is to ask them separately or in their own thread. They would appreciate the same as well if it was their product and post.

-Charles@M
Old 01-23-2024, 12:45 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I just want to jump in here and touch on somethings and our development process. My name is Mitch McKee, I am a janitor at M-Engineering and one of the many that do development, calibration etc. I want to touch on how our process is different than pretty much every one else, and that is we don't buy server files from people over seas for a couple hundred dollars, and then resell it blind back to folks. We develop using professional tools and do it non stop. We also offer things like datalogging, which others don't seem to do and most likely cause they simply cannot do it, or because they are not making there own tools. We do all of those things, and more. From the start we take the code apart and disassemble the machine code, so that we can understand more of why the code does what it does and also how it interacts with tables.

In the 992 Carrera there is somewhere around 100,000 calibratable tables. Some could be 1d, 2d, 3d, arrays etc. There is a lot that they put into this to make sure it works and works safely. Some folks are touching on a few issues we have had, which is common for a company that supports over 30 separate operating systems and probably around 150 different software versions. There are things we have seen that we have to fix that came directly from Porsche bone stock. An issue that made the car almost undriveable and using our tools, logging and data we were able to solve this stock issue for customers so it won't happen for them in the future. Seems more folks post when there are issues other than the thousands that are quite happy.

Long story short we work to make sure you guys are happy, and that we are always innovating even years after. We do have more coming for the 992 that we have been working on that I think a lot of people will very much enjoy, but more on that later.

If anyone has questions please always feel free to email us or myself, info@m-engineering.us and mitch@m-engineering.us. We are always here to help, we even answer on weekends sometimes, as we are quite passionate about what we do.

Cheers,

Mitch
The following 9 users liked this post by M Engineering:
540gone (01-24-2024), 911Gr8tness (01-23-2024), Ah10 (01-23-2024), AlterZgo (01-23-2024), Mike818 (01-23-2024), Nein Eleven (01-28-2024), nesretnika (01-24-2024), rr_gts (01-23-2024), Tupper (01-23-2024) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-23-2024, 12:54 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

I think this is a great discussion and appreciate everyone being transparent, both consumers and M Engineering and addressing our concerns.

I don’t expect every tuner to be perfect but for what they are charging I do expect continuous improvement and openness to the fact that it is inevitable that there will be hiccups along the way. But sharing the issue and some level of detail within the resolution is key.

Last edited by Purekoryo; 01-23-2024 at 12:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rr_gts (01-23-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 01:15 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by M Engineering
I just want to jump in here and touch on somethings and our development process. My name is Mitch McKee, I am a janitor at M-Engineering and one of the many that do development, calibration etc. I want to touch on how our process is different than pretty much every one else, and that is we don't buy server files from people over seas for a couple hundred dollars, and then resell it blind back to folks. We develop using professional tools and do it non stop. We also offer things like datalogging, which others don't seem to do and most likely cause they simply cannot do it, or because they are not making there own tools. We do all of those things, and more. From the start we take the code apart and disassemble the machine code, so that we can understand more of why the code does what it does and also how it interacts with tables.

In the 992 Carrera there is somewhere around 100,000 calibratable tables. Some could be 1d, 2d, 3d, arrays etc. There is a lot that they put into this to make sure it works and works safely. Some folks are touching on a few issues we have had, which is common for a company that supports over 30 separate operating systems and probably around 150 different software versions. There are things we have seen that we have to fix that came directly from Porsche bone stock. An issue that made the car almost undriveable and using our tools, logging and data we were able to solve this stock issue for customers so it won't happen for them in the future. Seems more folks post when there are issues other than the thousands that are quite happy.

Long story short we work to make sure you guys are happy, and that we are always innovating even years after. We do have more coming for the 992 that we have been working on that I think a lot of people will very much enjoy, but more on that later.

If anyone has questions please always feel free to email us or myself, info@m-engineering.us and mitch@m-engineering.us. We are always here to help, we even answer on weekends sometimes, as we are quite passionate about what we do.

Cheers,

Mitch
Thanks for sharing a little behind the curtain stuff. Since you mentioned datalogging and new features, any chance that includes standalone datalogging to the openport sd card? I understand if you aren't in a position to disclose.
Old 01-23-2024, 02:20 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,613 Likes on 818 Posts

Mitch, if you're the janitor then it's no wonder the shop is so dirty!
Old 01-23-2024, 03:23 PM
911Gr8tness
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 61 Posts

Thanks Mitch. While my car was a challenge to get right, I don't think many other vendors would or could offer the level of service that you guys have provided. Always responsive with a goal to get it where it needed to be. Glad at least for now, I don't have to worry about replacing the injectors.
Old 01-23-2024, 07:52 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Cause I always seem to be behind a computer screen, and not a mop where I belong!

I am happy to be open and talk with anyone, just ask. I enjoy sharing info, and I don't get on here or any forums hardly at all as I am quite busy, like most people. But we are always here to help. This isn't just a job for us, its our whole life so we want to be sure everyone is happy with our product and services.

--Mitch
Old 01-23-2024, 07:59 PM
traju
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe a silly question but… when coding stuff with PIWIS (matrix activation etc) does it affect your coding? I’m fairly confident tune should be unaffected but what about auto start/stop disable, rev limiter etc?
Old 01-23-2024, 08:36 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Not a silly question!

The answer is usually no. You can update and code other modules without issue for the most part. However, sometimes when coding different modules on the car, the ECU must also be updated at the same time and when that happens, it can update the car to entirely new ROMs which need to be reworked for the tune. It's not really a big deal and not usually something we run into, but it does happen from time to time.

But other modules don't alter the calibration side of things in terms of coding if they are run off of a different controlling computer. For example headlights don't change tune parameters on the ECU.

-Charles@M
The following 2 users liked this post by M Engineering:
Ah10 (01-23-2024), traju (01-23-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 08:59 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,970 Likes on 798 Posts

I don't know if I've already posted my experience with M Engineering in this thread but I've been running the M Engineering tune on my 2021 992 S manual since May 2022. I've driven over 9,000 miles tuned with the 91 octane Stage 1 tune and the car has ran perfectly even on my crappy ACN 91 octane gas. The power delivery is very smooth and does not feel turbo laggy at all. The boost hits instantly and during the winter, like now, 1st and 2nd gear acceleration is violent to say the least and will easily break the rear tires loose. I've had my car serviced three times by my local Porsche dealer during the time I've had the tune - two annual services and one service to replace the front windshield due to the disintegrating molding issue. All 3 times I reverted the car to stock and reinstalled the M Engineering tune right after the service was completed without any issues. I will say that when I reinstall the stock or M Engineering tune I do have to clear fault codes or the car will throw some errors. But, it takes literally 30 seconds to clear fault codes.

I also recently installed an aerokit rear wing and had to have the car coded by the Porsche dealer to deactivate the wing lift programming and the internal wing up third brake light. I returned the car to stock, had Porsche dealer do their coding and reinstalled M Engineering tune without issues. I didn't need an updated tune or make any changes.

I've also had M Engineering send me three different calibrations - mostly around programming of engine start/stop and exhaust valve flap operation. Each time I emailed a request, I received the updated tune file within 30 minutes. They are fast, they answer their phones when you need help, they are a pleasure to work with and, for me, the tune and the process has been completely flawless. Their janitor clearly knows his stuff!
The following 8 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
CamsPorsche (03-09-2024), eagle1960 (01-24-2024), Jeff Whitten (01-28-2024), Master Deep (01-24-2024), Pokey1 (01-23-2024), rr_gts (01-23-2024), SA_992SMT (01-24-2024), traju (01-23-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-24-2024, 11:39 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,613 Likes on 818 Posts

I feel bad for all you folks who have to use 91 octane gas
The following 3 users liked this post by Tupper:
dg108 (01-29-2024), Jeff Whitten (01-28-2024), zachr (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 12:32 PM
992DAD
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
I feel bad for all you folks who have to use 91 octane gas
I'm so happy I have access to E85 and the M-Engineering tune so I can avoid 91 most of the time !
Old 01-27-2024, 11:27 PM
RoughRider911
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Purekoryo
Also for those with hesitation issues, can you provide year of your car, mods, etc. to see if there are any patterns? Seems like a lot of folks are running fine and some are not.
2020 C2S, been tuned since 7k miles now at 17k. The 93 octane tune has been pretty good, but there are occasional issues that are more of a nuisance than anything serious - PASM errors, certain features disabled. Overall, happy with the 93 map and I’m sure Mitch and the team would take care of the above I’d I reached out.

Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for the e85 map. Have had issues from the get to as have a few others in the board. Seemed like a rushed beta tune versus a final product. The team has been quick to respond, but after a few attempts I’m done with the e85 tune - not letting my car be the guinea pig.

Last edited by RoughRider911; 01-27-2024 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-28-2024, 01:17 AM
4 Rings
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by RoughRider911
2020 C2S, been tuned since 7k miles now at 17k. The 93 octane tune has been pretty good, but there are occasional issues that are more of a nuisance than anything serious - PASM errors, certain features disabled. Overall, happy with the 93 map and I’m sure Mitch and the team would take care of the above I’d I reached out.

Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for the e85 map. Have had issues from the get to as have a few others in the board. Seemed like a rushed beta tune versus a final product. The team has been quick to respond, but after a few attempts I’m done with the e85 tune - not letting my car be the guinea pig.

never really seen the positive of running e85 in the winter. The blends seem to be so random in winter.

That again with no flex fuel sensor no e85 tune is going to run right 100% of the time.

AND no expert but our injectors are probably maxing out with e85 and I was getting surging from injector being maxed out.

convinced if you want to run e85 for a tank or 2 for a special event that’s the only way it works.

that and my fear of having an issue, not being able to flash back to stock with a tank of e85 and needing to take it to the dealer.

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera OBD Flashing