992 Carrera OBD Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 04:12 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,565 Likes on 567 Posts

We mentioned this earlier for those concerned about warranty and smog, but I'll hit it again, our software allows flashing completely back to stock and will also report and verify that your CVN and CALID is stock.

-Charles@M
Old 09-23-2021, 06:12 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,970 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by M Engineering
M-Tuner still utilizes all OEM ECU engine safeties, so things like knock control, thresholds for pressures and temperatures, and fuel compensations are all present.

-Charles@M
Charles - Assuming we are running stock catalytic converters and all other stock emissions control devices, does the stage 1 tune maintain all of the emissions controls, readiness checks, and functionality so that it will pass a smog check? Specifically, I'm in AZ and don't have to deal with California's ECU verification process. Will it pass the OBD readiness checks? Or would I have to flash back to the stock map and is it very easy to go back and forth btw stock and upgraded maps?

I realize my car is brand new and won't need a smog check until year 6 in AZ but just curious about this. Thank you.
Old 09-23-2021, 07:00 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Charles - Assuming we are running stock catalytic converters and all other stock emissions control devices, does the stage 1 tune maintain all of the emissions controls, readiness checks, and functionality so that it will pass a smog check? Specifically, I'm in AZ and don't have to deal with California's ECU verification process. Will it pass the OBD readiness checks? Or would I have to flash back to the stock map and is it very easy to go back and forth btw stock and upgraded maps?

I realize my car is brand new and won't need a smog check until year 6 in AZ but just curious about this. Thank you.
Stage 1 tune will retain all of the functionality and relevant I/M readiness monitors. You can also hit "Read Info" in M-Tuner with the flash installed and it will tell you what monitors are set and such. Pretty cool feature. Regardless, we still always recommend returning to stock before visits like that. It only takes a few short minutes to go back to stock and back

As I type this, I just flashed our company 992TT back to stock I'm sitting in and it took 5 minutes and 45 seconds.

-Charles@M
The following 2 users liked this post by M Engineering:
AlterZgo (09-23-2021), Love_Tacos_911 (08-08-2023)
Old 09-23-2021, 10:42 PM
tez2013
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by M Engineering
I don't specifically have the dyno plots for a C2S at this time. We have certainly tuned a number of them, just not on the specific identical dyno we normally tune on to have accurate comparable numbers for y'all for our map notes. As soon as that's done we can have fresh graphs.

We recommend running the appropriate mapping for you car based on your hardparts upgrade path. If you have sport cats you will want to run Stage 2.
If you want to run the mapping with the least ignition time and least aggression, you can run the 91 mapping. These engines still have a lot of headroom on them from Porsche and can handle the mapping we provide without issue. M-Tuner still utilizes all OEM ECU engine safeties, so things like knock control, thresholds for pressures and temperatures, and fuel compensations are all present.

-Charles@M
Got it, thank you. On your website you list 545whp/464wtq for Carrera S Stage 1 93 tune. Would you expect stage 2 on 93 be in the 570whp/490wtq category? Just trying to get a sense for the difference between stage 1 and 2.

Also, I'm assuming no concerns with PDK/ use of frequent launch control with Stage 2?

Old 09-23-2021, 10:55 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tez2013
Got it, thank you. On your website you list 545whp/464wtq for Carrera S Stage 1 93 tune. Would you expect stage 2 on 93 be in the 570whp/490wtq category? Just trying to get a sense for the difference between stage 1 and 2.

Also, I'm assuming no concerns with PDK/ use of frequent launch control with Stage 2?
That's probably a good guess. Stage 2 is generally ~20 or so more whp than Stage 1, of course depending on air temps, air density, gas quality, etc. +/- a few whp.

No issues with the PDK on Stage 2 and launching.

-Charles@M
The following users liked this post:
Love_Tacos_911 (08-08-2023)
Old 09-24-2021, 07:29 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,686 Likes on 752 Posts

Any issues you see with a Stage 1 tune and Manual Transmission? Curious any thoughts on pre-mature clutch wear/strain, etc. I know the PDK will handle almost anything you throw at it, not sure on the manual. Thoughts?
Old 09-24-2021, 09:27 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

According to the auto rags , the manual is basically the same transmission as the PDK albeit with a manual clutch. So I think you would have more clutch wear in both transmissions but probably more so in the manual. The big question for me is how hard is it to replace clutch plates in the 992. In other cars it is pretty routine especially if drag raced.
Old 09-24-2021, 12:58 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,661 Likes on 924 Posts

I am a tuning newbie but what is the advantage of OBDII tune vs direct ECU tune (as in removing the ECU and tuning it in bench)? Does the OBDII tune not increase the version/flash counter and hence undetectable by Porsche (assuming flashed back to stock)?
Old 09-24-2021, 02:18 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
I am a tuning newbie but what is the advantage of OBDII tune vs direct ECU tune (as in removing the ECU and tuning it in bench)? Does the OBDII tune not increase the version/flash counter and hence undetectable by Porsche (assuming flashed back to stock)?
The advantage is you don't have to remove your rear bumper and take the ECU out, and have the car down for several days while you ship the ECU, have it flashed, and then shipped back, and have to have it reinstalled. With M-Tuner, you just plug a cable in and in about 5 minutes the whole process is over. Anytime you need a map update or go to another stage, you don't have to do the ECU out process over and over. Additionally, you can go back to true stock undetected and unmodified when you uninstall, any counters or CVN/CALID won't be changed.

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
Any issues you see with a Stage 1 tune and Manual Transmission? Curious any thoughts on pre-mature clutch wear/strain, etc. I know the PDK will handle almost anything you throw at it, not sure on the manual. Thoughts?
The manual transmission can take the increased power and torque without any slippage or issues. If you are having clutch wear issues, check your driving style :P

-Charles@M
The following users liked this post:
Richard_Wallace (09-25-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 03:03 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

How many miles and hard launches do you have on one of your tuned manual 992's
Old 09-24-2021, 03:19 PM
4 Rings
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
How many miles and hard launches do you have on one of your tuned manual 992's
Ive had the tune for aprox 2 weeks I think now. I have a MT. First the 992 MT is not meant to be launched, im about 100% sure they can include in the tune to raise the 3500 neutral limit so you could launch it. Well I know me and If i could I probably would and well i didnt ask to have it removed because I dont want to replace clutches.

As far as handling the power yes, I feel the MT will have zero issues unless your driving style causes it(syncros, clutches, etc)...lets just say the tires were slipping on the Dyno, not the clutch

Lastly, I did have the car dyno'd yesterday on a stage 2 tune with 93 octane (C2S w/ MT). I am working on posting that up when I have time to put together a full picture of what was involved, results, feedback, and trying to schedule another time at a separate dyno with a different set up to compare results.

Last edited by 4 Rings; 09-24-2021 at 03:25 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by 4 Rings:
991.1 Guy (09-24-2021), chong0 (09-24-2021), Love_Tacos_911 (08-08-2023), Richard_Wallace (09-25-2021), RRich (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 05:05 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 4 Rings
lets just say the tires were slipping on the Dyno, not the clutch
That's awesome! Looking forward to your dyno charts and feedback. For the record, I'm not planning on launching the car off the line at high RPMs. I might try it once or twice just to see how well it can launch, but primarily, I just want to be able to rev it up beyond 3500 RPMs while in neutral to hear the exhaust and just as a matter of principle (I want my manual to behave like a manual without the nannies).
Old 09-25-2021, 11:49 PM
PorscheObsessed
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 111 Posts
Default GTS needing bigger turbos for 30 extra hp?

Question for Mr. Charles and others: As I look at the new GTS where Porsche took the C2S config, threw in a bigger turbo and 3.5 lbs of extra boost. The question is why do manufacturers not advance the timing or delay the waste gate for better boost from an existing configuration? Why the need for bigger turbos if people are tuning their base Carreras to be higher in hp than GTS? Safety? Durability? Warranty? Or just that they can’t sell just a tuned car for a higher trim price.
Old 09-26-2021, 01:19 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PorscheObsessed
The question is why do manufacturers not advance the timing or delay the waste gate for better boost from an existing configuration? Why the need for bigger turbos if people are tuning their base Carreras to be higher in hp than GTS? Safety? Durability? Warranty? Or just that they can’t sell just a tuned car for a higher trim price.
I know prior GTSs had larger turbos but haven’t heard or read that the 992 GTS has larger turbos. In light of what M Engineering is able to do with carrera S tunes on stock turbos where it makes power all the way through the higher RPM ranges, the GTS certainly does not need larger turbos for its comparatively very modest power bump.

With respect to why mfgs don’t just release cars with more power, it is because OEM car companies are much more conservative with their tuning. The stock cars come with mfg warranties and need to deal with all kinds of weather and adverse conditions and customers who range from those who treat their cars like garage queens to those who track and drag race their cars all the time. So, in order to have launch control last for hundreds of launches, they will not maximize low end torque and engine power to prevent grenading the PDK trans. Also, to have engines last for days of tracking on end, they will conservatively tune the engines to have less boost, less timing advance, etc. OEMs also have to deal with emissions. Invariably when turbo boost is increased and timing is advanced etc., the cars will typically pollute more. Aftermarket tuners don’t have to deal with these more stringent regulations and use cases by customers who may beat the hell out of their cars.

When the mfg builds an upgraded version with more power, like the GTS, you can bet that hundreds of other small changes are made to meet the mfg’s standards on durability, longevity, emissions compliance, drivability, etc. It’s not as simple as just writing a few lines of code to turn up the boost. Very tangible other mechanical things need to be upgraded and optimized on the car to deal with even a modest power bump, hence the higher base price on the GTS.

This is not to say that aftermarket tunes make cars more prone to breaking. On the contrary, optimizing the car and running safe air fuel ratios will allow the engine to last for hundreds of thousands of miles if the car is not abused (like w/ hours of top speed runs that would melt the turbos w/ turned up boost). However, the added power will cause greater wear on most other parts of your car like the transmission and clutch, suspension, definitely will kill your tires much faster, definitely will use up brakes quicker from both you braking harder and more often to slow you down from the added speed as well as the greater intervention of traction and stability control that uses the rear brakes a lot on these cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
DrewTJ50 (09-26-2021), Tupper (09-26-2021)
Old 09-26-2021, 03:40 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I know prior GTSs had larger turbos but haven’t heard or read that the 992 GTS has larger turbos. In light of what M Engineering is able to do with carrera S tunes on stock turbos where it makes power all the way through the higher RPM ranges, the GTS certainly does not need larger turbos for its comparatively very modest power bump.

With respect to why mfgs don’t just release cars with more power, it is because OEM car companies are much more conservative with their tuning. The stock cars come with mfg warranties and need to deal with all kinds of weather and adverse conditions and customers who range from those who treat their cars like garage queens to those who track and drag race their cars all the time. So, in order to have launch control last for hundreds of launches, they will not maximize low end torque and engine power to prevent grenading the PDK trans. Also, to have engines last for days of tracking on end, they will conservatively tune the engines to have less boost, less timing advance, etc. OEMs also have to deal with emissions. Invariably when turbo boost is increased and timing is advanced etc., the cars will typically pollute more. Aftermarket tuners don’t have to deal with these more stringent regulations and use cases by customers who may beat the hell out of their cars.

When the mfg builds an upgraded version with more power, like the GTS, you can bet that hundreds of other small changes are made to meet the mfg’s standards on durability, longevity, emissions compliance, drivability, etc. It’s not as simple as just writing a few lines of code to turn up the boost. Very tangible other mechanical things need to be upgraded and optimized on the car to deal with even a modest power bump, hence the higher base price on the GTS.

This is not to say that aftermarket tunes make cars more prone to breaking. On the contrary, optimizing the car and running safe air fuel ratios will allow the engine to last for hundreds of thousands of miles if the car is not abused (like w/ hours of top speed runs that would melt the turbos w/ turned up boost). However, the added power will cause greater wear on most other parts of your car like the transmission and clutch, suspension, definitely will kill your tires much faster, definitely will use up brakes quicker from both you braking harder and more often to slow you down from the added speed as well as the greater intervention of traction and stability control that uses the rear brakes a lot on these cars.

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera OBD Flashing