Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 12:40 AM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 280 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by GSound
The new front snout of the 2021 BMW m3 is not appealing in my eye.
IMO The moment they finally dialed in and fixed that monstrosity disaster look of a bloated whale of beginning of 2000s... The grinch strikes again and brings that big snouts that look like ****. No, it will not get better with time. There is bad design and good design. The new BMW look is for teenagers. Who cant afford it
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Old 08-17-2021, 12:46 AM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 280 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsched
I started out looking at the 718 and then thought I would go up a bit in size to the 992. Now I'm looking at the M3 and you're right, it's quite large and heavy. But I guess that's the tradeoff in practicality.
Do drive both of those again. While 911 is an icon and you can not go wrong with it... 718 is a very good Porsche with fantastic handling ( and no useless back seats). I can easily afford 911, but i drive a Boxster and i love it, even after 8 years.
The following users liked this post:
Porsched (08-17-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 03:33 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 115 Posts

Yep. You're right. Overthinking and then some. As much as I like the 992, the lack of a backseat doesn't really work for me. I was trying to find some way to justify it, but that doesn't make sense. M3 it is for me. Maybe an M4 just to do something different since it still has a usable backseat. The 911 will have to come later when a 2 seater works for me along with the higher price tag.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Much appreciated.
I wouldn't bother with the M4 if your writing the 911 off for practicality purposes. The M4 is a little more practical then the 911 but not a whole lot. Way more trade offs then benefits from the M3. I would go M3 if your looking for a practical vehicle. The 911 is a much better choice if choosing M4.

As far as depreciation goes I would guess money wise they would loose the same total dollar amount or pretty close.

The M3 is a great car and I have driven both the the base and the comp in the G80. Much better then the pre comp F80. However it is no 911 or Porsche. It's a very fun car and would be a great daily but it is big and it feels it when your driving it.

Like others have said the G80 is an amazing vehicle and you will never feel bad about owning it. The best part is the G80 will lease well, though higher then normal right now as it's brand new. You can get an easy lease for 900-1000 a month and never have to worry about a thing. Then if you get bored it's easy to dump it on lease trader. Another positive on the G80 is you can still get a stick unlike the base 911.

As for those recommending a base 991.2 I would not recommend that right now. Prices are elevated and not that far off of a brand new 992 now. Your better off with the 992.
Old 08-17-2021, 04:17 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 440 Likes on 234 Posts

The only time I had an issue with kids fitting into a 911 was when all three were in car seats. As long as you have another somewhat more practical vehicle, get the 992. In addition to the 911s in my signature below, I've owned three BMW 3 series, including a 2008 M3 sedan. There's a reason we haven't owned a BMW for the past 10 years.
The following 3 users liked this post by tgcrun:
AlexCeres (08-17-2021), GSound (08-17-2021), smiles11 (08-17-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 05:46 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by tgcrun
The only time I had an issue with kids fitting into a 911 was when all three were in car seats. As long as you have another somewhat more practical vehicle, get the 992. In addition to the 911s in my signature below, I've owned three BMW 3 series, including a 2008 M3 sedan. There's a reason we haven't owned a BMW for the past 10 years.
same here. Mmm, E90. Great car. But I stopped driving it enough when I got the 911 and had to let it go. The harsh realities of garage space.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:29 PM
Porsched
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by t-design
Do drive both of those again. While 911 is an icon and you can not go wrong with it... 718 is a very good Porsche with fantastic handling ( and no useless back seats). I can easily afford 911, but i drive a Boxster and i love it, even after 8 years.
Do you daily your Boxster? I drove a base Cayman and it was so much fun. I just don't know if I would like it long term once I get used to the go-kart feel. That's why I started looking at the 992, but then the budget gets lost in the rearview mirror.

I'm taking out the Cayman again in a couple of weeks through the Porsche Drive program, just for a fun drive with a friend. It's not cheap, but what a great way to experience a Porsche.
Old 08-17-2021, 08:08 PM
3uros
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 212 Posts

Good luck with scoring a G80 allocation...production schedules have been greatly reduced due to the computer chip shortage. I had my name on several waitlists for one but I gave up on the rat race.

TBH, it might be far easier to score a base C2 allocation.
Old 08-17-2021, 10:41 PM
992brian
Advanced

Received 117 Likes on 45 Posts

You can make it work. We have a 6month old paired with our 911 and Outback. The 911 is my DD and fits his carseat (although does require some loading and unloading but in about a year he will be forward facing!). The Outback fits everything else, including the dogs. If we are going on longer trips, the outback is the go to. We make it work and I have no regrets. Also my wife doesn't have to hear me talk about 911s all day. My other considerations at the time when I was car shopping were the Audi RS5/RS6/SQ8, Model Y, Taycan 4S/CT, Macan GTS. All were more 'useful', but I quickly realized they just wouldn't fill the 911 lust.

Like one of the guys said above, every time I get out of the car I look back at it. I would not do that with anything other than a 911. There's just something about the proportions, the looks, the whole package. I think I put my future self in a tricky situation. Once we are empty nesters in 20-25 years, GT cars are all I would want at that point and given the push for EV, the hunt for a Touring will be rough. However my wife kids that I might want a different horse in our stable, something more Italian XD.

Last edited by 992brian; 08-17-2021 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-17-2021, 10:45 PM
992brian
Advanced

Is the 992 a car you would put 12K-15K miles per year on? After about 8 years of that and 100K miles, I wonder if depreciation would be any different between a 911 and an M3. I've read some comments saying that the 911 is not a car you daily and put lots of miles on. If that's what most people do, I could see how those low mileage 911's would hold great value.
Yes. It is very daily-able. I'm putting about 1k a month on it. The higher the mileage the better. These cars are built well and if you want to sell the car, a car with decent miles and well documented work done on it will sell fairly well.
Old 08-17-2021, 10:47 PM
992brian
Advanced

Yep. You're right. Overthinking and then some. As much as I like the 992, the lack of a backseat doesn't really work for me. I was trying to find some way to justify it, but that doesn't make sense. M3 it is for me. Maybe an M4 just to do something different since it still has a usable backseat. The 911 will have to come later when a 2 seater works for me along with the higher price tag.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Much appreciated.
I will wait for your new thread where you trade your M3 in for a 992 allocation . JK get what works for your lifestyle and enjoy in good health!
The following users liked this post:
Porsched (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 02:02 AM
Porsched
Advanced

Originally Posted by 3uros
Good luck with scoring a G80 allocation...production schedules have been greatly reduced due to the computer chip shortage. I had my name on several waitlists for one but I gave up on the rat race.

TBH, it might be far easier to score a base C2 allocation.
Thanks. Yes we live in strange times. I may not even be able to buy the car I want. Luckily I’m not leasing right now so I can wait no problem.
Old 08-18-2021, 02:08 AM
Porsched
Advanced

Originally Posted by 992brian
You can make it work. We have a 6month old paired with our 911 and Outback. The 911 is my DD and fits his carseat (although does require some loading and unloading but in about a year he will be forward facing!). The Outback fits everything else, including the dogs. If we are going on longer trips, the outback is the go to. We make it work and I have no regrets. Also my wife doesn't have to hear me talk about 911s all day. My other considerations at the time when I was car shopping were the Audi RS5/RS6/SQ8, Model Y, Taycan 4S/CT, Macan GTS. All were more 'useful', but I quickly realized they just wouldn't fill the 911 lust.

Like one of the guys said above, every time I get out of the car I look back at it. I would not do that with anything other than a 911. There's just something about the proportions, the looks, the whole package. I think I put my future self in a tricky situation. Once we are empty nesters in 20-25 years, GT cars are all I would want at that point and given the push for EV, the hunt for a Touring will be rough. However my wife kids that I might want a different horse in our stable, something more Italian XD.
Funny. I had my dog in the backseat of my car for about half the day today. I couldn’t help thinking if I would ever do such a thing in a 911. I guess it’s possible. He’s a good sized dog but fairly skinny so I could just pick him up into the backseat. But seriously. I’m not buying a 911 for the dog.

I could understand looking back at the 992. It’s just a beautiful car. I like the M3 but the 992 wins hands down. I suffer from some serious impostor syndrome. I’m not sure I can handle the 911.
Old 08-18-2021, 02:43 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 396 Posts

Split the baby and get a 981 Cayman S and a BMW M2C, giving you two great choices to drive for the price of the 992. The M2C has real back seats and the 981 is a real sports car.
Old 08-18-2021, 10:24 AM
Porsched
Advanced

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Split the baby and get a 981 Cayman S and a BMW M2C, giving you two great choices to drive for the price of the 992. The M2C has real back seats and the 981 is a real sports car.
The used car market is crazy right now. But I did have the thought of keeping my current car and getting a new 718. It would cost me the same as getting a 992. I’ve always had a single car so I don’t know how well this would work out. Plus we can always use my wife’s SUV. Anyway, all of this would be much simpler in normal times when cars were easy to test drive snd buy.
Old 08-18-2021, 10:50 AM
jnkirk1974
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 125 Posts

Would I be content with the M3? Well that's a really good question. Whichever car I get I will keep for 10+ years. I'm not sure my wife will put up with me buying another expensive car before then. And in a few years the practicality advantage of the M3 won't matter that much anymore as the kiddo gets bigger and gets his own car. So there is a chance I will be wishing I had a 911 in a few years. Then again, there will always be temptations later no matter what car I choose now.
If you are keeping it for 10+ years, the 911 will age FAR better than the M3.

Quick Reply: 992 base or BMW M3