Sponsored by:

992 base or BMW M3

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 06:12 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 701 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by inthesticks
Well with that new front snout (and I’m being polite), the m3/4 can no longer be confused with a base model. So there’s that.
Totally agree. Do non-car people even know the "snout" difference? Who nose? (had too...that was too easy)
Old 08-13-2021, 06:24 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,297 Likes on 650 Posts

People seem to be skipping "price IS a big deal for me".

The M3 will not give you 100% of what a 911 will give you but for significantly less $$/month it will give you a very significant % of what you'd get out of a 911. Stretching yourself and building financial stress in life just to drive a 911 just isn't a good idea. Everything else aside that's the decision. M3 will be a blast and will keep you happy until the day you can make a less stressful purchase of your first 911.
The following 2 users liked this post by slc4s:
beibei650 (08-12-2022), tomingrassia (08-04-2022)
Old 08-13-2021, 06:55 PM
Porsched
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by F8Driver
The cars are designed to different missions: sports car versus sports sedan. The M3 is a bit quicker than the base 992, turned a faster lap at Hockenheim, though its chassis is a bit less communicative than the 992; the Porsche is the gold standard there. M3 is a legitimate 4 seater with 4 doors and can accommodate adults in the back seat. More storage space. Quality of materials, fit, finish, content (carplay, etc), pretty much a wash. M3 standard seats are about like Porsche 14-ways in terms of offering comfort and a secure seating position. Porsche 18 ways are an improvement but then BMW offers M-carbon (not sure how those compare).

I'm not a fan of BMW's instrument panel and think Porsche's tach, etc is easier to read (but then Porsche doesn't offer a HUD yet). And t hen there's the problem of looks, the BMW ain't pretty and the Porsche exemplifies classic beauty (though not quite as beautiful as an E-Jag or Ferrari Lusso). The Porsche is also more customizable ... almost to ridiculous extremes.

But at the end of the day, I don't think you'll ever climb out of the 992 and think, "Gee, I could have had an M3."
Yes. I don't think I will wish for the M3 if I am driving a 992. I might wish for a backseat sometimes, but that's a very different thing. It does seem like the M3 is the logical choice here. Well, not really logical. Few people logically need an M3 or a 992..
Old 08-13-2021, 06:57 PM
Porsched
Advanced

Originally Posted by slc4s
People seem to be skipping "price IS a big deal for me".

The M3 will not give you 100% of what a 911 will give you but for significantly less $$/month it will give you a very significant % of what you'd get out of a 911. Stretching yourself and building financial stress in life just to drive a 911 just isn't a good idea. Everything else aside that's the decision. M3 will be a blast and will keep you happy until the day you can make a less stressful purchase of your first 911.
The M3 is definitely the better choice for me. I think I need to go have another long look at it and see how much I like it. Unfortunately, no dealer will let me test drive one.
Old 08-13-2021, 07:01 PM
Porsched
Advanced

Originally Posted by Master Deep
I was getting ready to buy a new car last fall and was considering buying the M3 with the goal to buy a 911 in 7-10 years. My dream car since I was 4yo was the 911 and since HS I’ve loved M3s. My wife actually pushed me to go for the 911 since I’d have more time to enjoy it now without kids yet. Haven’t regretted the decision for a second! I’m looking at adding a M3 base 6MT when we have kids in a couple years but the 911 isn’t going anywhere. Saw a green M3 with black grille and the snout isn’t as bad looking in real life as in pics.
Funny. My wife has also been pushing me to get the 911. She had some second thoughts though when we talked about the 911 "backseat."

The problem I have with the grill is that I shouldn't think that it's "not bad looking." It should look amazing. Although I may have to settle for "not bad looking" for now.
The following 2 users liked this post by Porsched:
Benedict14 (08-14-2021), Master Deep (08-13-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 11:13 PM
Bat28
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue and was shopping 911 versus M4. The supply issues and difficulty getting the 911 I wanted won out and I ended up getting a portimau blue m4 manual off the showroom floor. I hated the grill in pictures, but did not bother me at all in person. I have 2 car seats in the back with no problem fitting a 5 year old and 3 year old with 2 golf bags in the trunk. The rear leg room with the carbon seats (surprisingly comfortable and thinner) is better than my previous A4.

Hopefully I can still get a blue 911 manual with an actual engine in a couple years, but I love the m4.
The following users liked this post:
AlterZgo (08-14-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 11:27 PM
robert310
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 61 Posts

I think you should buy the m 3 the money you save you can use for the therapy that you will need when you regret your decision.
The following 2 users liked this post by robert310:
AlexCeres (08-14-2021), tomingrassia (08-19-2021)
Old 08-14-2021, 12:44 AM
Porsched
Advanced

Originally Posted by robert310
I think you should buy the m 3 the money you save you can use for the therapy that you will need when you regret your decision.
Funny. Therapy would probably be the only option because my wife will have had it with my car choices by then.
Old 08-14-2021, 12:59 AM
Porsched
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bat28
I had the same issue and was shopping 911 versus M4. The supply issues and difficulty getting the 911 I wanted won out and I ended up getting a portimau blue m4 manual off the showroom floor. I hated the grill in pictures, but did not bother me at all in person. I have 2 car seats in the back with no problem fitting a 5 year old and 3 year old with 2 golf bags in the trunk. The rear leg room with the carbon seats (surprisingly comfortable and thinner) is better than my previous A4.

Hopefully I can still get a blue 911 manual with an actual engine in a couple years, but I love the m4.
How do you find the M4 compared to the 911 in terms of driving? The thing I liked about the 992 base is the dual personality. Sometimes I just need to run an errand and I don't need the car in crazy mode. The 992 does that beautifully (I don't expect a luxury car ride). I've test driven previous F82 gen M4's and they were trying to kill me at all times. Granted I test drove the M4CS, but I can't imagine that the regular M4 was that different. I have heard that the G82 M4 is more reasonable when not pushed and does have that dual personality. Are you finding that to be the case?

It would be easier if I could actually test drive the new M3/M4, but dealers pretty much ask for a deposit before allowing that.
Old 08-14-2021, 04:47 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsched
Ive read a lot of good things about the Macan, especially the GTS. But we don’t need 2 SUV’s in the family. As good as the Macan is I have a hard time thinking it drives better than the M3.
Drive one, especially with air suspension and/or PDCC. I bought my Macan Turbo without them and it handled well, but my Cayenne Turbo a coupe has them and I swear I’m driving something much lower to the ground. I don’t know how they do it. Probably black magic.
Old 08-14-2021, 08:40 AM
Bat28
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porsched
How do you find the M4 compared to the 911 in terms of driving? The thing I liked about the 992 base is the dual personality. Sometimes I just need to run an errand and I don't need the car in crazy mode. The 992 does that beautifully (I don't expect a luxury car ride). I've test driven previous F82 gen M4's and they were trying to kill me at all times. Granted I test drove the M4CS, but I can't imagine that the regular M4 was that different. I have heard that the G82 M4 is more reasonable when not pushed and does have that dual personality. Are you finding that to be the case?

It would be easier if I could actually test drive the new M3/M4, but dealers pretty much ask for a deposit before allowing that.

i havnt had any issues daily driving my m4. Don’t feel like it is going to kill me at any point. On comfort, it is actually very tame. I drive with everything on sport plus, except suspension which I keep on comfort and don’t have any issues.

Compared to 911- I have only driven my buddy’s 991.2 gt2rs and a c4s pdk. The gt2rs only has insanity mode. Hard for me compare the c4s pdk to a manual rwd m4. The 911 is a better drive, but the manual makes a huge difference in the experience for me. It is easier for me to ‘zone out’ a little when driving an auto/dct whereas I don’t do that with the stick. I think I drive the manual more ‘aggressively’ (let the revs get up to make happy sounds) but slower than I drive a dct which is effortless in the 911.

Infotainment much better in the m4. Heads up display with tachometer is awesome.

FWIW- still getting a 911. Really really happy with the M4 as a daily in the meantime.

Old 08-14-2021, 11:24 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I've been driving a F80 M3 for the last 6 yrs and just got my 992 S last week. The M3 comes w/ free maintenance for 3 yrs (used to be 4) so it is cheaper to maintain than a porsche. The M3 (I'm sure this will hold for the G80 as well as my F80) is noticeably more useful and roomy than a 911. The M3 feels like a very sporty sedan... but still a sedan. The 911 feels very low slung and like a pure bred sports car... which it is. The M3 is not the best in any category but is good in all categories. It really is a great all-a-rounder. The 911 is great at being a sports car and mediocre to poor at being a family car.

I wouldn't worry about depreciation. WIth the way the world is going, it's hard to predict if used car prices will stay abnormally high or not. Besides... why are you focusing on selling the car now instead of focusing on enjoying whatever car you get? I don't buy a car for resale value. I buy it for enjoyment and utility for my needs. But if you must know, 911s have lower depreciation than M3s. You can insulate yourself from this by leasing the M3. BMWs traditionally lease extremely well with high residuals and low money factors. 911 leases are not that great. The interest rates are a lot higher and residuals are a lot lower.

From what I can glean in your post, price is a big deal and you could definitely use a real backseat for the family. Get the M3. It is much cheaper to maintain and to buy - particuarly if you lease it and particuarly since you are worried about resale (means you probably won't keep it for the long run). The 911 is more of a passion buy and is definitely not a practical decision. I'm keeping my M3 in addition to my new 992 S because I don't see how I can just have the 911. It's too impractical.
Just about spot on above! I went from a F80 M3 to the 992 and...
I miss the practicality of the M3. The ability to head out of work with my arms full and kick the trunk and have it open was sweet. The ability to pick a co-worker up from the airport was not even a thought (or a question about what luggage they have). The electronics and ergonomics in the M3 were far superior to the 992 (and it was a 2018 with electronics from 2014!).. Oh and I could go to the ATM with ease (you would not believe what a reach that is in the 992!).
But holy crap... the 992 drives so damn good - it is mind blowing. And I'm excited to have a stick car that is AWD here in Chicago. So I'm putting up with all of the "challenges" of having a 911 as a DD - because wow, seriously wow, I've never driven anything like this in my life.

The following 2 users liked this post by doug_999:
AlexCeres (08-14-2021), AlterZgo (08-15-2021)
Old 08-14-2021, 01:11 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,191 Likes on 3,027 Posts

I think that the fact that you’re considering the M3, and not an M4, is something of a tell that you probably need a four door.

slwong23 (08-14-2021)
Old 08-14-2021, 04:37 PM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by xs2k
On another note…the fact that you’re in a 992 forum speaks volume. Did you ask the same question in m3 forum? If not, you made up your mind. 992 or save for 992.
To be fair, I perused the BMW forums when I was going back and forth between the M2 and the 992, and most of the people on the BMW forum said 992, no contest.

Originally Posted by Master Deep
I was getting ready to buy a new car last fall and was considering buying the M3 with the goal to buy a 911 in 7-10 years. My dream car since I was 4yo was the 911 and since HS I’ve loved M3s. My wife actually pushed me to go for the 911 since I’d have more time to enjoy it now without kids yet. Haven’t regretted the decision for a second! I’m looking at adding a M3 base 6MT when we have kids in a couple years but the 911 isn’t going anywhere. Saw a green M3 with black grille and the snout isn’t as bad looking in real life as in pics.
I was actually planning on buying a Cayman GTS 4.0, but my wife "convinced" me to buy a 992 instead as it at least had rear seats for my 2 year old daughter.

Last edited by westcoastj; 08-14-2021 at 04:40 PM.
AlexCeres (08-14-2021)
Old 08-14-2021, 04:54 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,713 Likes on 1,045 Posts

The 992 no contest. The back seats work pretty well for kids aged 2-10 (ymmv). The driving experience is significantly better than the M3. I really enjoyed my M3 but traded in for a 991 a while back. No regrets.

M3 wins on price, no doubt. Also had a chance to see the buck teeth in person, and it’s not quite so bad. Plus, you don’t see them form the inside while driving, so maybe not as big a deal as all the YouTubers make it out to be. Most of them don’t know their *** from their elbow anyway. And even those that do frequently fail to hold to an owners perspective.
Master Deep (08-14-2021)

Quick Reply: 992 base or BMW M3