Sponsored by:

992 base or BMW M3

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 04:58 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsched
The M3 is definitely the better choice for me. I think I need to go have another long look at it and see how much I like it. Unfortunately, no dealer will let me test drive one.
have you tried Turo or looked for some local owners ?
Old 08-14-2021, 05:21 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Funny. My wife has also been pushing me to get the 911. She had some second thoughts though when we talked about the 911 "backseat."

The problem I have with the grill is that I shouldn't think that it's "not bad looking." It should look amazing. Although I may have to settle for "not bad looking" for now.
Cool wife. Keep her, buy the 992.

But seriously - if you really need two extra doors and an adult sized back seat. And the 992 stretches you uncomfortably financially; you know what to do.

If not - with a child and an SUV in the family, the 992 will absolutely work. It is the superior sports car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Benedict14:
rk-d (08-14-2021), yrralis1 (08-15-2021)
Old 08-14-2021, 05:28 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,033 Posts

If the kid can get in and out of the car by themselves (2-4 yro) and isn’t too big to fit in the back (11-12) then you don’t HAVE to have four doors. For very young kids, who you need to put in and out of the car yourself you do need the four doors. The car seats are heavy and it’s not worth the chiropractor costs when you can lease a couple years and then get the 911.
The following users liked this post:
Master Deep (08-14-2021)
Old 08-14-2021, 05:33 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,774 Likes on 5,139 Posts

The M3 is definitely the better choice for me. I think I need to go have another long look at it and see how much I like it. Unfortunately, no dealer will let me test drive one.
Where are you located? If close to one of the upcoming locales, you could go to the BMW Ultimate Driving Experiences in the various local US citites and do one of their M course. https://driving.bmwusa.com/cities
Master Deep (08-14-2021)
Old 08-14-2021, 08:41 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14
Cool wife. Keep her, buy the 992.

But seriously - if you really need two extra doors and an adult sized back seat. And the 992 stretches you uncomfortably financially; you know what to do.

If not - with a child and an SUV in the family, the 992 will absolutely work. It is the superior sports car.
We’ve had nothing but one SUV and 911s in our family for the past 5 years. My daughter is 10 now. Still works out fine.

This is the whole point of the rear seat of the 911. It’s what makes the car so versatile.
Benedict14 (08-16-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 01:39 AM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 444 Posts

Carwow M3 vs 911 base
Porsched (08-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 02:23 AM
Porsched
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Where are you located? If close to one of the upcoming locales, you could go to the BMW Ultimate Driving Experiences in the various local US citites and do one of their M course. https://driving.bmwusa.com/cities
I actually went to one of those events hoping for an M3/M4. We drove the M440i xDrive around the course instead. I had a blast to be honest. I had zero issues with the big grill after that. Unfortunately they weren’t letting anyone drive the M3 that was on display so I don’t know how it compares. The M440 was great though. I should probably just buy that and save a bunch of money. But it wouldn’t be a proper midlife crisis if I don’t get an M or a Porsche.
Old 08-15-2021, 02:43 AM
Porsched
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
The problem with this is that it will never be a 911 . The 911 is a multi decade automotive icon and buying one is one person;'s piece of that cars history. I am on my 5th Macan Turbo (wife's car) , 16th Porsche (9 of which were 911) and have owned 22 BMW's (last two were E92 M3's) . They are all great cars but the 911 is the only one that really mattered . The others were like appliances with a splash of fun . Three years ago I had a cancer scare which ended up be nothing . For two months though I thought it was the end and in that time I got chance to reflect on things . I thought of everything in those darkest moments of self pity . At that time there was no amount of money or material thing that coud have made me feel better yet all the worry I put into it seemed meaningless . Then I looked at one of my 911's outside my window and thought to myself "at least I had lived" . Life would not have been the same without them . I can not say that about any other material thing I have.

So.. have you got a build sheet ?
First of all, I’m really glad you’re ok. I had a scare like that a few years ago also. It also turned out to be nothing luckily.

My wife and I did build out an aventurine green base 992. But I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I might lease the M3 as someone suggested and then see if I want to step up to the 911 after that. Since you have had so many cars, I assume you lease them all? I have always purchased, thinking it’s financially better to keep a car long term. I think that’s true unless I get in an accident which will crater resale value and make leasing more attractive. Leasing would also allow me to enjoy lots of different cars.
yrralis1 (08-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 03:17 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,970 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Just about spot on above! I went from a F80 M3 to the 992 and...
I miss the practicality of the M3. The ability to head out of work with my arms full and kick the trunk and have it open was sweet. The ability to pick a co-worker up from the airport was not even a thought (or a question about what luggage they have). The electronics and ergonomics in the M3 were far superior to the 992 (and it was a 2018 with electronics from 2014!).. Oh and I could go to the ATM with ease (you would not believe what a reach that is in the 992!).
But holy crap... the 992 drives so damn good - it is mind blowing. And I'm excited to have a stick car that is AWD here in Chicago. So I'm putting up with all of the "challenges" of having a 911 as a DD - because wow, seriously wow, I've never driven anything like this in my life.
Right with you. Heck even my 2015 without CarPlay feels much better than Porsche’s system. The fact that I can easily open my garage door without waiting for homelink to appear or the ease which I can navigate my playlist on my iPhone in the M3 is vastly better than in my 992. I don’t think it’s even possible to display any playlist either thru PCM or CarPlay on the 992. I will say though that the Bose system in the 992 is much better than the base or HK in the M3.

But, of course, the 992 drives SO much nicer than the M3 and it feels every bit as fast completely stock, as my tuned M3 and the 992 feels much more planted and doesn’t feel like I’m always on the verge of just peeling out or kicking the rear out at all times like with my M3.
Old 08-15-2021, 03:45 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 758 Likes on 329 Posts

First of all, I’m really glad you’re ok. I had a scare like that a few years ago also. It also turned out to be nothing luckily.

My wife and I did build out an aventurine green base 992. But I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I might lease the M3 as someone suggested and then see if I want to step up to the 911 after that. Since you have had so many cars, I assume you lease them all? I have always purchased, thinking it’s financially better to keep a car long term. I think that’s true unless I get in an accident which will crater resale value and make leasing more attractive. Leasing would also allow me to enjoy lots of different cars.
A friend of mine was shopping base 911 cars with a serious budget . I can lean this car down even more but hew wanted sport exhaust and sport Chrono . He wanted white (basic color and free)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNKD5BD6

The M3 competition I built came into the 80K range . It is a significant price gap.

I have never leased a Porsche and only tried leasing twice in my life and hated it . I ended up buying both cars .
I buy my cars new (with the exception of an out of production car) and pay cash . I dont finance them but have read lengthy discussions over on the Macan forum about guys who shopped for better rates at various credit unions and how they set up their plans about paying. A few of them still have their dream car which was a 2015 Macan S and love their now free and clear Porsche just as much today as when they bought them years ago.

Ultimately I would rather buy no car than buy the wrong car . The M3 is not cheap either . Why not keep what you are already driving ? How about a CPO 991.2 ? You can buy a well maintained low mile 911 for the same price as an M3 . The 911 would even have some depreciation baked in . I love my 991.2 GTS and there are some things I will really miss with a 992.

. Most 911 owners do take care of their cars and a CPO program is quite solid .

PS. I have owned a lot of cars because am old .

Last edited by yrralis1; 08-15-2021 at 03:54 AM.
Old 08-15-2021, 07:00 AM
ko2302
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

In your scenario, I would go for a second hand M5, rather than a brand new M3. 911 is not too practical for kids but if you are going for the 2 doors hey, then go for the 911 because M3 is something in between not a real family car or a sports car.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:26 AM
Bat28
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F8Driver
But at the end of the day, I don't think you'll ever climb out of the 992 and think, "Gee, I could have had an M3."

You won’t be sad you have an m car but will always want the 911. this is the correct take.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:41 AM
Fastcarsplease
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope I'm asking this in the right place.

I know the 992 and M3 are very different cars. Nevertheless, I'm trying to decide which one of these to go with. I could definitely use the 4 doors and real backseat for the family, but I can manage with the 992. Price is a big deal for me and I'm looking at a significant difference in purchase price: $80K for the M3 and about $120K for the 992. I know 911's don't depreciate as much as M3's, but is the depreciation difference so significant? Anything else I should consider in terms of overall total cost of ownership?

Appreciate any thoughts. I figure many here have had experience with both cars in the past and can provide insight. (And I realize I'm asking this in a 992 forum.
I’m currently awaiting my 992 GTS, having had an F82 M4 Comp for 4 years. I can’t imagine choosing the BMW over a Porsche unless money or practicality were the deciding factor. If it’s your only car with kids, the Porsche will never be enough for more than a quick trip with minimal luggage. Imagine a weekend away where you need to pack more than just a pushchair! No chance 😉

I agree with people that suggest you buy the car that will fit in with your lifestyle rather than trying to make your lifestyle fit with your car.

I will just throw one idea out there for you - get a low mileage M2 Competition (id go manual gearbox), they get great reviews (better than my M4 &#128528 and then in a couple of years when it’s easier to justify get the Porsche.

Good luck with whatever way you go, it’s a great problem to have 😀

Porsched (08-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 12:10 PM
Outlaw 06
Instructor

Received 293 Likes on 120 Posts

...Appreciate any thoughts. I figure many here have had experience with both cars in the past and can provide insight. (And I realize I'm asking this in a 992 forum.
Here are my thoughts on BMW.

I special ordered my first 3-series BMW in 2000, and I’ve (only) owned 6MT, Sport Package or M-Sport Package, rear wheel drive BMWs ever since. I currently own a 2004 E46 M3 coupe and a 2021 M240i coupe with an M Performance LSD (my wife owns a 2018 X5 diesel that I occasionally use as a tow vehicle).

Every time I drive my 17-year-old M3 ($55k MSRP in 2004) and my new M240i ($52k MSRP) I marvel at how good those cars are for the money. They’ll also seat 5 people in a pinch, albeit uncomfortably.

Total cost of ownership is similar between BMW and Porsche in my experience.

As far as depreciation is concerned, my BMWs all depreciated more than my Porsches, although the E46 M3 is on the way back up after 17 years…

Of course, you asked about a 992 base or BMW M3. I recently got to drive a new M3 at the BMW Performance Driving School, and I was very impressed with its performance and “fun to drive” factor. I’d be very satisfied daily driving that vehicle.
Old 08-15-2021, 12:51 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,970 Likes on 798 Posts

The problem I have with the grill is that I shouldn't think that it's "not bad looking." It should look amazing. Although I may have to settle for "not bad looking" for now.
The first time I saw BMW’s new front design language in the 4 series concept I thought it looked stunning. I’m in the camp that thought the G80 M3 front end was awesome and aggressive and I appreciated the evolving design. It reminds me of when Audi came out with their shield grille and Lexus came out w/ their “predator” grille. People flipped out… but got used to the new designs and now don’t bat an eye. Many people are coming around to accept the new M3’s front end, yet there is a large contingent that still hate on it 24/7. I think some of that is because people are not used to change and some is because they are just jumping on the bandwagon of people hating on the grille. I know on the BMW boards there’s great camaraderie to hang out and talk trash about it. Personally I don’t get why people have that much time and energy to feel so bad about something they never would buy.

Personally I am so glad BMW tried something new and different. Ironic as I ended up not getting a new M3 but, instead, bought the most conservative, least changed designed car of all time… a 911. I have to say though that this is because the M4 is a freaking gigantic boat. If the M4 was the size of an E92 or F82, I’d probably be driving that now instead of the 911.
German1967 (08-15-2021)

Quick Reply: 992 base or BMW M3