Sponsored by:

992 GTS Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 06:31 AM
redwolfgts
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Guleb
I don't think wheels will fit, especially in the front (+0,7in).

GTS CL "Turbo" wheels are 8,5J x 20 ET50 + 11J x 21 ET66 245/35 ZR20 + 305/30 ZR21
Turbo S exclusive wheels are 9,5J x 20 ET44 + 12J x 21 ET70 255/35 R20 + 315/30 R21

Front Turbo S wheels will have an inner rim which is 6.7mm closer to the suspension strut. The outer rim will poke out 18.7mm more than before.

Rear Turbo S wheels will have an inner rim which is 16.7mm closer to the suspension strut. The outer rim will poke out 8.7mm more than before.
would the gt3 wheels fit a gts
Old 12-30-2021, 06:54 AM
Guleb
Track Day

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

Nope. GT3 rear outer rim will poke out 33.7mm (1,3in) more than GTS rear wheel. There are some winters wheel sets from Turbo/GT3 that have different ET than summer sets (both OEM Porsche), but they still poke out too much.

I get dimensions from here: https://teile.com/en/porsche-parts-s.../218#group-355
And than I calculate it here: https://www.willtheyfit.com/
The following users liked this post:
redwolfgts (12-30-2021)
Old 02-01-2022, 12:04 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,207 Posts

My wife and I are looking at a GTS with the light weight package so we can enjoy the car with our dog (currently have Cayman GTS 4.0 and that's the only negative - we can't all hop in it together). In some ways I'd want the bucket seats but I worry that ingress egress for the dog would be a challenge since I don't believe those seats fold. If that is the case, anyone know if you could slide them forward enough to get clearance for a Labrador retriever to hop in the back? 18 ways might be a better selection.

I also wonder what the uptake is on this package.
Old 02-01-2022, 12:08 PM
Scuderia WOT
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
My wife and I are looking at a GTS with the light weight package so we can enjoy the car with our dog (currently have Cayman GTS 4.0 and that's the only negative - we can't all hop in it together). In some ways I'd want the bucket seats but I worry that ingress egress for the dog would be a challenge since I don't believe those seats fold. If that is the case, anyone know if you could slide them forward enough to get clearance for a Labrador retriever to hop in the back? 18 ways might be a better selection.

I also wonder what the uptake is on this package.
I love labs and 911's but not together! My lab never got in my 911's. But I guess if you only have one car........
Schwarz992C4S (05-15-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 12:09 PM
cap82
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I think you'll have the same issue with the GTS if you get the lightweight package. There will be space in the rear, but the rear seats will have been removed along with the floormats. There'll be nowhere to harness the dog or otherwise have them lay comfortably,
Schwarz992C4S (05-15-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 12:26 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,207 Posts

Originally Posted by cap82
I think you'll have the same issue with the GTS if you get the lightweight package. There will be space in the rear, but the rear seats will have been removed along with the floormats. There'll be nowhere to harness the dog or otherwise have them lay comfortably,
Not quite the same issue since there's no motor behind the back seat No seats will give more space for us to make a proper cover and some foam inserts, but I do need to see the shape of the wells in person before deciding on this package (though the package is attractive I other ways). We harnessed a dog for years in a Golf R and really it is only helpful in our minds for a head on collision. Down low in the 911 he should be somewhat protected.
Originally Posted by Scuderia WOT
I love labs and 911's but not together! My lab never got in my 911's. But I guess if you only have one car........
Family time!! We have another car which is the dedicated dog mobile, but I miss not having them with me on some special drives and just going out and doing something nice for the day (like a drive to Whistler).

Any opinions on my question?
Old 02-01-2022, 06:54 PM
porscheprestige
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Let’s be clear, Porsche has every reason to give better numbers to the GTS, than the S. The GTS is touted as a step up from the S. It costs more. Has 30HP more. But heavier?? Weight is a huge equalizer.

So, I have always viewed what Porsche quotes, for any of their cars, as a “starting point”, and not necessarily the best, or accurate. But it is logical to assume that with 30 extra HP, it shouldn’t be slower than the S? I agree with that.

But as I said above, unless one knows the conditions under which each car was tested, one can not make a accurate statement as to the validity of the results. The 0-60 mph times (not the quoted 0-100 kph times) I have seen by say C&D put the S at 2.9sec and the GTS at 2.8. OK, Cool. Is that a number that’s repeatable after multiple tests, or are these numbers from different days, under different atmospheric conditions and different tracks??? Was that a time taken with the weight removed from the GTS? They did not specify. Maybe if we saw the more precise numbers (as an example): 2.91 sec for the S and 2.89 for the GTS?? What does that mean? Is it a rounding error? In the measurement error? As a scientists, I know that it’s important to consider all of these things. The consumer doe not see all the test results and conditions, so splitting a few tenths of a second is in the noise.
I did not read all your posts...but a few.
Although...I can tell you one thing for sure: exclusivity and resale value. Can not compare a GTS ( any model ) to an S . Ever. If this statement will ever convince you to buy a GTS over an S.
Whatever difference you pay extra for a GTS new, not that you will recuperate it later, when selling, but actually you will make some extra as well.

Old 02-28-2022, 02:57 PM
R N M
Racer

Received 245 Likes on 109 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by R N M; 02-28-2022 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-01-2022, 12:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 796 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheprestige
I did not read all your posts...but a few.
Although...I can tell you one thing for sure: exclusivity and resale value. Can not compare a GTS ( any model ) to an S . Ever. If this statement will ever convince you to buy a GTS over an S.
Whatever difference you pay extra for a GTS new, not that you will recuperate it later, when selling, but actually you will make some extra as well.
Any chance you can provide a source for this? I am actively trying to decide if upgrading to a GTS is worth it for me, and the only stuff I found actually suggests the S has historically lower depreciation per mile. 1st graph S, second graph GTS.

Old 03-01-2022, 12:51 AM
P0RKY
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

I sat on the fence for a bit before I finally committed to my build - just thought I'd share my perspective, pit falls & ultimately, how I came to my decision. There's no one size fits all, and what works for one will definitely not fit another, so please, no brickbats or hate or name calling. Just sharing.

These will be the first Porsches in my stable. The Cayenne was an easy build and decision, and I lost absolutely no sleep on it. Mainly because it was for Her Majesty, She Who Must Be Obeyed, For Whom the Toilet Seat will be returned to Its Original Position. It'll be her daily driver. Done & dusted in ½h after a good chat with a very friendly Sales Agent and a test drive with the wife & twins in the back. Easiest $170,000 the Sales Agent ever made (his words, not mine).

The 992 was one I flipped and flopped over and over.

I thought I'd start with a budget of $300,000 (damn the taxes in Australia) - which would get me a nicely loaded base Carrera 2, with all the bells and whistles. I rationalized that even the base Carrera would be more car than I would ever had the testicular fortitude to manhandle on public roads. That build came up to $304,819 - bang on budget. What a great start. I then started to worry that I would suffer from S envy, and despite never having given a flying f*ck to the opinions of people that don't matter one bit to me, I didn't want to be saddled with a purchase that would translate to a bad case of buyer's regret.

So, I upgraded my sights to the Carrera 2. And I initially thought I'd try to keep to the planned budget, which meant I'd take away some of the accoutrements that I'd spec'ed in the Carrera 2. Instead of Club Leather, I went with the interior full leather option. I contemplated removing the Adaptive Cruise Control (I decided to include them ultimately), saying to myself that the C2S would be a weekend driver, but I had to leave the Front Axle option intact, as Sydney's roads are beyond redemption in certain parts. That build came up to a whisker of that of the base Carrera: $338,314, not something that we didn't plan for - and thus I thought was where the story ended.

Until that itch that needed scratching happened again. This time, no thanks to the steady stream of venom and poison that was being IV'ed into my veins by the well-meaning folks on these esteemed forum pages. I caved in and gave a call to my agent to void my Carrera S order and put in a new one for the GTS. With the Tequipment Martini Livery (I like it, and felt that it wouldn't be too out of place on a GTS, where it might be a touch try hard for the base or S) - and I even bought the keyfob covers depicting the same from eBay. When the dust settled, the bill came up to $364,302 + $1884 for the Martini "go-faster" stickers = $366,186

Was there anything wrong with the base Carrera? Or even the Carrera S? Absolutely not. I've test driven both, back to back - and frankly, I can't tell one from the other (both were PDK-equipped), and at my age, I was never going to be baited to make a run at the traffic lights by a ricer in his pimped out S2000, or whatever the flavour is these days. Ultimately, it was down to what felt good to me, how big the smile on my face was - and how long it lasted - and whether I had the wallet-size big enough for my vehicular appetite (hey, money doesn't grow on trees).

Will I stop losing sleep over my decision? I honestly don't know. What I do know is that I'm not inclined towards getting my coccyx jackhammered by the track-biased set up of a GT3, so that's one itch I won't be scratching. The Turbo/Turbo S might be a Nullarbor annihilating cruise missile, but those babies will also rip a hole in my wallet bigger than I can swallow without choking. So, to quote a proverb, "beggars can't be choosers", but to put things into perspective, it's a happy First World Problem to chew on... and for now, I'm feeling quite chuffed with myself, despite being some $60,000 over budget.

Thanks for letting me share.

Last edited by P0RKY; 03-01-2022 at 10:33 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by P0RKY:
JustGettingMilk (03-01-2022), manifold danger (03-01-2022), ron4sc (03-01-2022), Schwarz992C4S (05-15-2022), Spiffx (05-14-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 08:59 AM
ron4sc
Instructor

Received 303 Likes on 122 Posts

PORKY, great story, thank you!

I have a similar situation. The way I see it, this forum may cost me $22k!

I configured a wonderful 4S that came in at $146k USD. After a month on this forum and watching YouTubers like Nick Murray, I'm adding additional options that are taking my build north of $152k. If that wasn't bad enough, I'm seriously considering calling the SA and switching my demand order to a GTS. I have a GTS config saved and that build is $168k USD. This will be my one and only 911 and I intend to pay for it cash and pamper it forever. So I struggle with which model and transmission will make me happy when I'm in my 70s.

I haven't called the SA to switch to standing in the GTS line yet, but I probably will if I feel this way in a couple of weeks.

First World and One Percent Problems to be sure.

P0RKY (03-01-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 09:01 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

I would be careful comparing those 2 numbers: one is showing average depreciation over 120,000 miles - basically to a zero value. The other is showing depreciation over 50,000 - with a remaining value of about 75%. I have to assume that depreciation is not straight line and in much steeper in the earlier years which would make the shorter assessment higher than the longer assessment. The graphs are not really detailed enough to do a similar mileage comparison.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:09 AM
P0RKY
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ron4sc
PORKY, great story, thank you!

I have a similar situation. The way I see it, this forum may cost me $22k!

I configured a wonderful 4S that came in at $146k USD. After a month on this forum and watching YouTubers like Nick Murray, I'm adding additional options that are taking my build north of $152k. If that wasn't bad enough, I'm seriously considering calling the SA and switching my demand order to a GTS. I have a GTS config saved and that build is $168k USD. This will be my one and only 911 and I intend to pay for it cash and pamper it forever. So I struggle with which model and transmission will make me happy when I'm in my 70s.

I haven't called the SA to switch to standing in the GTS line yet, but I probably will if I feel this way in a couple of weeks.

First World and One Percent Problems to be sure.
Mate, never say never... apparently, Porsches (and particularly 911s) are habit forming and just one tankful short of requiring a "warning: addictive substance" label on them. Good luck with your purchase - I bet whatever you decide on, it'll leave you with a smile plastered on your face every time you get behind the wheel.
ron4sc (03-01-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 09:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 796 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
I would be careful comparing those 2 numbers: one is showing average depreciation over 120,000 miles - basically to a zero value. The other is showing depreciation over 50,000 - with a remaining value of about 75%. I have to assume that depreciation is not straight line and in much steeper in the earlier years which would make the shorter assessment higher than the longer assessment. The graphs are not really detailed enough to do a similar mileage comparison.
Yes, Not a great tool at all. Hoping to find something better out there.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:37 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by 22992
Yes, Not a great tool at all. Hoping to find something better out there.
Honestly, I would expect them to be reasonably similar. And we all know that past performance is no guarantee of future performance. If you were to recreate those charts today with the market mayhem of the last 18 months, you would get some very different (and wacky) numbers. While resale value is always relevant to a purchase decision as it is a key factor to the real cost of ownership, in the case of an S vs GTS decision, I am not sure how much weight it would play for me. Get the car that gets you heart racing, enjoy the car and your decision and never look back. Its akin to choosing between Harvard and Yale for school.

Quick Reply: 992 GTS Discussion