Question about taking your 992 to the track

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 11:52 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 816 Posts
Default Question about taking your 992 to the track

I'm mulling whether to try taking my car to the race track for the first time this summer. I know that I cannot fully enjoy what my car is capable of unless I do that.

However, it being a rather expensive and attractive (and new) vehicle, I have reservations about damaging it.

Does anybody have any advice regarding this dilemma? Do you recommend taking your own vehicle to the track, or some other option? How much risk of damage is there?
Old 01-26-2021, 12:01 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,376 Likes on 1,478 Posts

TRACWRAP

https://www.xpel.com/shop/paint-prot...-film/tracwrap

Cover the high impact areas: bumper, bonnet, mirrors. Maybe a few cuts behind the tires around the wheel wells for good measure.
The following 2 users liked this post by smiles11:
detansinn (01-26-2021), mohawk5010 (01-27-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 12:17 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,118 Likes on 1,458 Posts

The very least of your concerns is rock chips and pitting. Those are cosmetic.

The first thing you should do is line up track day collision insurance, which is not covered by your regular automobile policy. At least if you hit the armoco or put it upside down then you can get some repair money that way.

I personally will not take my $ 150,000 car to the track, because I have been an Instructor for so long I have seen what happens and I can neither afford to write off the car or want to do major repairs on it such as a blown engine*, etc. Additionally (the way I drive) tires and brake pads don't last long, they become expensive weekends. I much prefer to rent a car for track days, one set up for it. The most fun you will ever have is in a Formula open wheel car, they will make your 992 seem like a slug in comparison. I like to use Bertil Roos to get my track fix days, I have rented cars from them several times with my friends. Show up, ask which one is yours, give it back at the end of the day! All the wear and tear is on their car, not yours. Engine blows? They give you another car....wear the tires out? No problem, its included.

https://racenow.com/

Not saying don't go to the HPDE school with it, just be aware that you can have major costs and damages to your own car depending on how aggressive you choose to drive.

* Blew my 993 engine at VIR in 2003. That cost over $ 25,000 to replace the short block. A 992 engine today would be around $ 60.000. And its not under warranty.

Last edited by drcollie; 01-26-2021 at 12:23 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by drcollie:
coastal (01-26-2021), detansinn (01-26-2021), Mike Murphy (01-27-2021), phefner (01-26-2021), Tupper (01-26-2021), WhitBroo (01-26-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-26-2021, 12:32 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^ Yep, I think I will rent a car if I do a track day. I just don't think it's worth it to screw my car up
Old 01-26-2021, 12:33 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I've heard mixed opinions on engine/powertrain warranty by Porsche for track use of the 911. Does Porche warranty cover it or not?
Old 01-26-2021, 12:40 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 500 Likes on 256 Posts

The short note is...you will damage it !
Some years ago I had a pristine 2003 E46 M3 Manual with a full Dinan Upgrade. This included exclusive wheels and tires. At Mid-Ohio, before they would let you loose on the track with a adviser next to you, both wearing helmet and headset, we did practice runs. First...go at very high speed and slam on your breaks, repeatedly. What do you think this does to the tires...they are ruined quickly. Then there is the avoidance tests of going in and out of cones. You cant avoid them and at high speed you will scuff your wheels and paint job. Everybody suffers this. Finally, you are on the track with other clueless individuals. Finder benders are common. Bad accidents are common ! You have this absolutely gorgeous new car and you are going to subject it to this ? NO WAY ! Go to a track that lets you use their cars. You will be heart broken what is left of your car if you take it to a track !
Old 01-26-2021, 12:47 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tupper
I've heard mixed opinions on engine/powertrain warranty by Porsche for track use of the 911. Does Porche warranty cover it or not?
A warranty, by definition, means to repair or replace parts and components that fail due to workmanship or defects. It does not cover wear and tear or abuse. It's pretty easy for them to pull the data from the car that shows not only GPS location, but rpms, g forces, how long at rpms, etc. What part is going to be replaced and what were the circumstances around the fail? There is no one-size-fits-all. Did your PDK actuator valve go out? Probably covered. Did you over-rev the engine and cause valvetrain damage or blow a rod through the case? That won't be. So the answer is - it depends.

One of my issues (again personal) in taking a 992 to the track is the cars are so damn fast, and so well locked down in the handling department, that you can go really, really fast. And if you have an incident at higher speeds the crashes are big. An impact at 80 mph into a berm is significantly more severe than one at 40 mph. And so on.

Rule of thumb on track days is if you can't afford to pay out-of-pocket, then don't do it. Many have learned that lesson the hard way.

Trending Topics

Old 01-26-2021, 12:56 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,376 Likes on 1,478 Posts

It really comes down to the groups you run with. I’ve run with PCA SVR several times & I've never encountered issues.

You can run at your own pace. No-one is racing & no-one is forcing you to go at a pace you aren’t comfortable with. That’s the reason they stage most events in groups - with point-by laps.

I have no experience with autoX events & alike, but if you get involved with PCA events. It’s an enjoyable experience.

Regardless, if you are trying to go *****-to-the-wall while trying to shave the last second off your lap time. You are putting yourself & others at risk.

If it’s your first time, get with a novice/beginner group & enjoy yourself. It’s not a competition.

YMMV
Old 01-26-2021, 01:28 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,812 Likes on 1,486 Posts

I do take my road cars to the track but subscribe to the principle that says one day you will bend it, so take out the track insurance and if you can't afford that you probably can't afford your 911.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:46 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 490 Likes on 303 Posts

I’m in the same dilemma - I’m encouraged by Porsche track day experiences whereby the instructors affirm that Porsche engines/drivetrains are uniquely positioned in the auto world to stand up to track day stresses. I also want first hand experience in what my P can do, not some rental - I figured x2-3 track days a year would scratch that itch as well as provide some relief of the license threatening frustration in driving these amazing machines at less than 50% of their potential.
I plan to continue with a couple of the PTE Performance events a year snd have a couple of Pro drivers lined up to guide me in my first few outings I'm not sure Track Insurance is available here, it was hard getting road insurance, so I’m prepared to take a hit and will exercise due care accordingly...
Old 01-26-2021, 01:59 PM
drcollie
Race Car

I think the key is to get over having to drive your car on the track.

One of the best values out there are the BMW M Performance Days run on both East and West Coasts. Those are high-wattage events and they set you up with fully prepped M cars to run on the circuits. You will burn off a set of tires that day and a set of brake pads in the car, so that's what... $ 900 if you had to replace them yourself? And that doesn't include and wear/tear on the car, or off-road excursion damages to spoiler lips and wheels, etc. Cost of the 1-day school is about $ 600, huge value there. At the end of the day it won't matter if you are in a BMW or Porsche, they car dynamics are all the same. I'm pretty sure BMW doesn't even break even on these events, it's used as marketing to show you what their cars can do and hopefully sell you a vehicle. This is a good place to start as they have very high quality instructors and facilities, and of course, cars.

https://www.bmw-drivingexperience.co...xperience.html

I hang out with guys that have been HPDE Instructors for over 20 years now, None of use take our own personal cars to track days anymore. We use other people's cars!

Last edited by drcollie; 01-26-2021 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:09 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,668 Likes on 746 Posts

Tracking can be so much fun, you should do it - if nothing else to get experience. I will say the track training I have had, coupled with tracking my cars - has made me 100% better driver. How I started several years ago was the following:

1.) Get good instruction first (not in your car). Porsche driving experience or a dozen of the others you can try.
2.) With PCA or FCA, or LCA, or MCA (all the clubs for high performance cars) - they have track days you can attend. I started off (I live in Ohio) where they would rent out Mid Ohio and you could do individual laps (meaning by yourself) with your car. This removes the fear of being a new driver with other cars on the track. You only get a few laps, but starts to build the understanding of your car, and limitations, and also get familiar with the track.
3.) Get more professional training and then some more
4.) Long ago - I actually bought a track car for my track days for a while as well. Tons to choose from (Miatas, BMWs, (I did a porsche 968) etc. etc.) That way when you damage it, and you will - it is not a huge financial problem and part of the fun
5.) I have taken some of my higher end cars on a few tracks. Lambo, Ferraris - I found it is not worth it, if damage is an isssue you want to avoid (as mentioned it will happen - not if). Not primarily because of me, but because so many people who think they are more advanced track drivers than what they are - get out there in advanced groups, and cause the problems. I haven't tracked in over 2 years, due to people that should be in training, running with those that have been doing it and properly trained for years. I liken them to being a good athlete and think they can pick up a pair of golf clubs, having never played except for the driving range, and trying to play with a bunch of low handicap players (until 2 holes in). You do not realize you are not a good track driver, until about 1 lap in, and then the danger begins - less experienced drivers trying to keep up, without the capabilities.
6.) No matter what you take to the track. Have good insurance that you know will cover you both car and personal liability as well, in case you do something stupid and injure someone or property. (I have a horrific story that I witnessed a few years ago that also made me never to want to track again - and I was watching in the stands watching it unfold).

Go do some track training experiences, that will probably accomplish most of what you are looking for, and then if you want to go further - you might get a dedicated track car or something like I mention above.
The following 3 users liked this post by Richard_Wallace:
detansinn (01-26-2021), drcollie (01-26-2021), ribold01 (01-28-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 02:11 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,481 Likes on 5,036 Posts

Get track insurance. Opentrack is a good option.

If you can't afford to walk away from your car, think twice about tracking it, especially without insurance.

I track all my cars. Even an X5M that I used to own.

I would start off by getting good instruction. Find an instructor (if you need a recommendation, PM me). Right seating with an instructor driving your car will do wonders for your ability as a driver and as a driver of your own car.

Just be careful. Tracking is like meth. Once you start, you literally cannot stop. And it's a total fukcing money drain.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 01-26-2021 at 02:13 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
detansinn (01-26-2021), GTlife (01-26-2021), NigelPlays (01-26-2021), phefner (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 02:19 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 500 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
I think the key is to get over having to drive your car on the track.

One of the best values out there are the BMW M Performance Days run on both East and West Coasts. Those are high-wattage events and they set you up with fully prepped M cars to run on the circuits. You will burn off a set of tires that day and a set of brake pads in the car, so that's what... $ 900 if you had to replace them yourself? And that doesn't include and wear/tear on the car, or off-road excursion damages to spoiler lips and wheels, etc. Cost of the 1-day school is about $ 600, huge value there. At the end of the day it won't matter if you are in a BMW or Porsche, they car dynamics are all the same. I'm pretty sure BMW doesn't even break even on these events, it's used as marketing to show you what their cars can do and hopefully sell you a vehicle. This is a good place to start as they have very high quality instructors and facilities, and of course, cars.

https://www.bmw-drivingexperience.co...xperience.html

I hang out with guys that have been HPDE Instructors for over 20 years now, None of use take our own personal cars to track days anymore. We use other people's cars!
note what he says. "None of us take our own personal cars to track days anymore. We use other people's cars ! " Unless you have a dedicated car for track, don't bring your pristine car to the track.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:53 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,812 Likes on 1,486 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercuriell
I’m in the same dilemma - I’m encouraged by Porsche track day experiences whereby the instructors affirm that Porsche engines/drivetrains are uniquely positioned in the auto world to stand up to track day stresses. I also want first hand experience in what my P can do, not some rental - I figured x2-3 track days a year would scratch that itch as well as provide some relief of the license threatening frustration in driving these amazing machines at less than 50% of their potential.
I plan to continue with a couple of the PTE Performance events a year snd have a couple of Pro drivers lined up to guide me in my first few outings I'm not sure Track Insurance is available here, it was hard getting road insurance, so I’m prepared to take a hit and will exercise due care accordingly...
I never came across track insurance in Australia either, it was always excluded even in later years for driver training events which I was involved in with the Alfa club. But for warranty the response I got from PCA was no issue so long as I didn't use R's on a car that didn't come with them. So Cup 2's on a C2S would be out but OK on a GT3. Once I did have questions asked after an over-rev downshift but even then they reviewed the data and approved an extended warranty renewal. Compare that with most other manufacturers who would totally write off the warranty as soon as soon as a car was used on the track.

Quick Reply: Question about taking your 992 to the track