Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 03:19 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,682 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by stiff///M
I have the same with my dealer and am first on the list for a 992T whenever it is annouced.
Ditto! 🤞🏼 It happens.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:17 AM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,789 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by reloader-1
Yes, but with all the performance goodies that don’t come in a base
A base Carrera with a manual transmission and all the performance goodies that don't come in a base IS a Carrera S. They already make it.
The following 3 users liked this post by 3rdpedal:
mdrobc1213 (06-22-2021), SBAD (06-15-2021), YYC992MT (06-21-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 04:22 PM
stiff///M
Racer

Received 500 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
A base Carrera with a manual transmission and all the performance goodies that don't come in a base IS a Carrera S. They already make it.
Ah, no. First off the S have more power. And from the post above the T comes with the following.

In general, the "Carrera T" adds the following to the base Carrera, along with some special painted surfaces (mirrors), and graphics.

Standard
Manual Transmission
PASM Sport Suspension
Sport Chrono
Sports Exhaust
Shorter Final Drive
Lightweight Glass
Door Pull Straps
Sport-Tex Seat Centers

Optional
Rear Axle Steering
PCCBs
Bucket Seats
The following 2 users liked this post by stiff///M:
Ikone (06-15-2021), n4v4nod (06-15-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 12:25 AM
Das14444
Pro

Received 333 Likes on 160 Posts

Don't think we’ll see a 992 T.
The following users liked this post:
mdrobc1213 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 04:22 AM
reloader-1
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Das14444
Don't think we’ll see a 992 T.
I actually have zero doubt we will see it.

Porsche is doing the logical thing with it’s ICE models, and extending the longevity of the generations substantially (given the potential political banning of ICE vehicles in the future).

The Panamera and Macan have both received .3 refreshes, which is unusual, and the 992.1 will likely be around for a bit longer than a .1 generation normally is. Demand is quite good, why waste money on a new generation when there is no need?

I’m confident that spring 2022 we will have an announcement for the Carrera T.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:38 AM
Das14444
Pro

I actually have zero doubt we will see it.

Porsche is doing the logical thing with it’s ICE models, and extending the longevity of the generations substantially (given the potential political banning of ICE vehicles in the future).

The Panamera and Macan have both received .3 refreshes, which is unusual, and the 992.1 will likely be around for a bit longer than a .1 generation normally is. Demand is quite good, why waste money on a new generation when there is no need?

I’m confident that spring 2022 we will have an announcement for the Carrera T.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...til-least-2030

https://www.thedrive.com/news/32727/...weight-package

“lightweight package” ^^

some speculation that this means no 992 carrera T - as a lightweight option is now available across the model range.

The lightweight package will also be available on more affordable Carrera and Carrera S models, which may well preclude the need for a ‘T’ version later in the lifecycle. Walliser insisted that the Carrera T versionof the 911 was well received but that it didn’t spend sufficiently long enough in the marketplace for Porsche to know for sure whether it should become a permanent fixture of the range.""

They certainly keep us guessing re: the T

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...til-least-2030

Sounds like instead of another T they might just make “lightweight” options available on cars across the range. I like that. If you want say a lightweight GTS - you can spec it.

Id be very happy to see a new T, but my hunch is it was a one time deal for the 991.2 sendoff. If you have a manual, no sunroof, bucket seat, rear seat delete T - hold on to it. I sold mine, so I have no skin in the game on this…just my thesis.

The following 2 users liked this post by Das14444:
detansinn (06-16-2021), S S (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 11:00 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,055 Likes on 2,978 Posts

Agreed with @Das14444
S S (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 12:23 PM
reloader-1
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Agreed with @Das14444
That was written in another era… when discounts were rampant on 992s, and COVID wasn’t a worry.

The world has changed!
Old 06-16-2021, 12:49 PM
Das14444
Pro

That was written in another era… when discounts were rampant on 992s, and COVID wasn’t a worry.

The world has changed!
I hope to be proven wrong…it would be great to see another carrera T. Even better a T w. a NA motor, Im just not holding my breath…

looking forward to seeing what porsche comes out with…”heritage options” on a T would be cool, even better if they call it “ClubSport” this time around.
The following 2 users liked this post by Das14444:
reloader-1 (06-16-2021), savethemanual (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 09:20 PM
savethemanual
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Das14444
I hope to be proven wrong…it would be great to see another carrera T. Even better a T w. a NA motor, Im just not holding my breath…

looking forward to seeing what porsche comes out with…”heritage options” on a T would be cool, even better if they call it “ClubSport” this time around.
+1 on a “T” with a manual and a naturally aspirated engine. That would be a very special car indeed! Maybe the 3.8 from the turbo models without the turbochargers?

One other ask… I’d also like to see them incorporate the horizontal third brake light from the new 2022 GT3 touring instead of the ugly vertical one that they have on the current 992.

Last edited by savethemanual; 06-20-2021 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-20-2021, 10:44 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by savethemanual
+1 on a “T” with a manual and a naturally aspirated engine. That would be a very special car indeed! Maybe the 3.8 from the turbo models without the turbochargers?

One other ask… I’d also like to see them incorporate the horizontal third brake light from the new 2022 GT3 touring instead of the ugly vertical one that they have on the current 992.
By your command...

https://images.app.goo.gl/azKg3qNBmrvz4xsUA

Originally Posted by TheGreatJ
Tell me about it..

I don't understand the "scoop" or break light on top of the rear grill design wise. It's a bit of a miss and I would have expected it to disappear from the final design. The 991.2 Touring or 911R pure mesh grill looks so much more sleek and timeless. Yesterday, I was still ready to bet big money that they would retain that classic look on the 992 GT3T. I guess they had to "upgrade" something also looks wise.. Does that big %ss "clam shell" have any functionality, other than emitting red light when breaking? It doesn't look like it would operate as an additional air intake channel etc (like one could have expected)... I may be wrong though.

SS

Last edited by S S; 06-20-2021 at 10:49 PM.
savethemanual (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 08:01 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The GT3 gets that different grill treatment as compared to the rest of the 992s, because it doesn’t have intercoolers back there. Those vertical slats guide air over the intercoolers/heat exchangers on the turbocharged cars.

Porsche has been explicit that the GT3 will be the only NA engined 992. Every Carrera will have turbochargers. This is true for the GTS. It will also be true for a T, if Porsche decides to actually offer one again.

It’s clear that there is a contingent of buyers that want the Base engine with a manual, but as long as 992 sales remain white hot and the take rate of higher margin S cars remains where it is, I don’t see Porsche doing it.

A Base with a manual would deliver a 4.5 to 5 sec 0-60 with a lot of clutch slipping and someone truly beating on the car. Granted, 0-60 is not a be all, end all, performance stat, but that’s not quick for a car in 2021. In fact, that would be put the car in the range of base to mid spec sedan performance numbers. What kind of car? Think Audi A4, not S or RS. When you look at EVs, it gets worse.

The upcoming replacement for the 718 is an EV. Porsche is not going to sell a Base 911 slower than the Base 718 EV.

So, yeah, I put the chances of a base with a manual as pretty slim. In the time that you wait for the mythical beast to arrive, you probably saved enough additional dollars to get an S anyway and call it a day — and get bigger brakes along with unlocking other goodies.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
mdrobc1213 (06-22-2021), savethemanual (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 01:05 PM
savethemanual
Advanced

The GT3 gets that different grill treatment as compared to the rest of the 992s, because it doesn’t have intercoolers back there. Those vertical slats guide air over the intercoolers/heat exchangers on the turbocharged cars.

Porsche has been explicit that the GT3 will be the only NA engined 992. Every Carrera will have turbochargers. This is true for the GTS. It will also be true for a T, if Porsche decides to actually offer one again.

It’s clear that there is a contingent of buyers that want the Base engine with a manual, but as long as 992 sales remain white hot and the take rate of higher margin S cars remains where it is, I don’t see Porsche doing it.

A Base with a manual would deliver a 4.5 to 5 sec 0-60 with a lot of clutch slipping and someone truly beating on the car. Granted, 0-60 is not a be all, end all, performance stat, but that’s not quick for a car in 2021. In fact, that would be put the car in the range of base to mid spec sedan performance numbers. What kind of car? Think Audi A4, not S or RS. When you look at EVs, it gets worse.

The upcoming replacement for the 718 is an EV. Porsche is not going to sell a Base 911 slower than the Base 718 EV.

So, yeah, I put the chances of a base with a manual as pretty slim. In the time that you wait for the mythical beast to arrive, you probably saved enough additional dollars to get an S anyway and call it a day — and get bigger brakes along with unlocking other goodies.
I actually have an "S" on order. However, if they would have offered the base in a manual, I would have taken that instead. First, I find that 379 HP is right in the sweet spot for me. I just don't need the extra 64 HP produced by the "S", and I like the feel of pushing the engine on back roads (which is harder to do in the "S" without getting a speeding ticket). Also, I find that the base model (with less turbo boost pressure) is a little more responsive than the "S". Maybe I'm in the minority, but I assume that there are others out there like me that don't care that much about the 0-60. Maybe I belong in an older model like a 964 or a 993 .

I'm not sure why you think there'd be a lot of clutch slipping in a base manual. I have owned plenty of cars over the years with under 400 HP and under 350 lb-ft of torque, and never had any clutch issues. If you know how to drive a MT properly, it shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited by savethemanual; 06-21-2021 at 01:14 PM.
75north (07-07-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 01:18 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savethemanual
I actually have an "S" on order. However, if they would have offered the base in a manual, I would have taken that instead. First, I find that 379 HP is right in the sweet spot for me. I just don't need the extra 64 HP produced by the "S", and I like the feel of pushing the engine on back roads (which is harder to do in the "S" without getting a speeding ticket). Also, I find that the base model (with less turbo boost pressure) is a little more responsive than the "S". Maybe I'm in the minority, but I assume that there are others out there like me that don't care that much about the 0-60. Maybe I belong in an older model like a 964 or a 993
It’s not like getting a Base is like driving a Miata. It’s more than capable of “go to jail” speeds on back roads. It’s still in the neighborhood of 400HP.

I call nonsense on the base being “more responsive” — it’s a confirmation bias excuse. The S makes significantly more torque everywhere, much more so than the peak numbers would suggest. Precious little turbo lag with either.

Enjoy your S with its additional power and bigger brakes.
Old 06-21-2021, 03:40 PM
savethemanual
Advanced

It’s not like getting a Base is like driving a Miata. It’s more than capable of “go to jail” speeds on back roads. It’s still in the neighborhood of 400HP.

I call nonsense on the base being “more responsive” — it’s a confirmation bias excuse. The S makes significantly more torque everywhere, much more so than the peak numbers would suggest. Precious little turbo lag with either.

Enjoy your S with its additional power and bigger brakes.
It’s not an excuse; it’s an opinion. The base definitely felt more responsive to me. I can’t completely attribute that to turbo lag though… I suppose it could also have been a product of the base model’s engine having to work a little harder.

I do agree that Porsche will probably never offer us a base model manual again. While that fact disappoints me, I’m also grateful that they offer us a manual at all. I wouldn’t have ordered a new 911 without one.

Last edited by savethemanual; 06-21-2021 at 03:43 PM.

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club