Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 01:14 PM
JCZ5
Pro

Received 372 Likes on 198 Posts

For sure, especially when the price point is much more accessible. It will be massively difficult to get and will have ADMs for sure.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:28 PM
stiff///M
Racer

Received 497 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar-yvr
I recall reading somewhere where a Porsche executive explained that the development costs of the 4.0 NA engine of the Spyder/GT4/GTS would be spread out by planting it into other models. That does make good business sense - although we've yet to see that happen.
If it goes into a Carrara T, I'd be personally thrilled, although I'm truly skeptical. I believe Porsche want's to keep their NAs only for the GT products.
That said, if they did it - would probably make the Carrera T as desirable and hard to get as a 992 GT3.
When they put the 4.0ltr in the Cayman GTS, the whole keeping it in the GT product line was kind of thrown out. I don't consider the GTS to be the GT products. Maybe there just has to be a "T" in the model...
Old 03-23-2021, 02:01 PM
stiff///M
Racer

Originally Posted by JCZ5
For sure, especially when the price point is much more accessible. It will be massively difficult to get and will have ADMs for sure.
That sounds perfect. I'm 1st on the list for the 992T at my dealer.
Old 03-23-2021, 02:19 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,483 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by stiff///M
The more I think about it, the more it makes sense that Porsche just drops in the 4.0ltr out of the GT4 to make the Carrera T. 414 horsepower is right between a base and an "S". Just change the ratios of the manual to make it quicker revving and you have a poor mans GT3 that wouldn't come close to cannibalizing the GT3 or for that matter the base or S since it would be such a different driving experience. The GTS to be a detuned GT3 would be too close in HP and feel. Maybe I'm dreaming but the parts pin and specs would make a perfect car to fill the T spot.

What you say makes perfect sense. And that is exactly why Porsche will never do it.
Old 03-23-2021, 04:44 PM
3uros
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 197 Posts

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense that Porsche just drops in the 4.0ltr out of the GT4 to make the Carrera T. 414 horsepower is right between a base and an "S". Just change the ratios of the manual to make it quicker revving and you have a poor mans GT3 that wouldn't come close to cannibalizing the GT3 or for that matter the base or S since it would be such a different driving experience. The GTS to be a detuned GT3 would be too close in HP and feel. Maybe I'm dreaming but the parts pin and specs would make a perfect car to fill the T spot.
This would be amazing ...should fit in the 992 without too much effort.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:35 PM
stiff///M
Racer

Originally Posted by 3uros
Very easy, From what I understand the 4.0 is just the 3.0 bored and stroked with the turbo's dropped. I would think it would bolt right in. I'll keep dreaming while keeping hope.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:20 PM
Alc
Racer

Received 504 Likes on 202 Posts

There was a bit of discussion on this in the 991.2 forum. It’s possible the 4.0 shows up eventually but definitely not probable for 992.1. Another rennlister put a good perspective on it. First the base, S, GTS would have to use the 4.0 with some type of varying degrees of electric assist for horse/torque boost. The idea of the T right in the middle of the Carrera lineup with the only NA engine just won’t happen. In this NA configuration, despite the amazing attributes the T would most likely be slower with the 4.0 than the 3.0tt from the lower torque (although might save 1-200 lbs from turbo/plumbing removal). I’m all about an NA in the T, (and I love my current T) it would be a dream but given the current model paradigm it just won’t happen...yet.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:54 PM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 3uros
Porsche has already nixed the idea of dropping the engine from the GT4 into the 911 range.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/sor...ed-in-the-911/

"It wasn’t ever going to power just those cars, so we weren’t in the least bit surprised to see it appear in the higher production volume Cayman and Boxster GTS 4.0 models. If you’re now hoping it’ll make it into the 911 Carrera, though, perhaps a new Carrera T, prepare for disappointment."

“The 4.0-litre engine in the GTS can’t be rotated through 180 degrees to fit in the 911. We will not see them again [N/A engines in the Carrera range]. I’m sorry about that,” he said. “The R&D costs are too high to develop such an engine for the Carrera,” he added.

Last edited by westcoastj; 03-23-2021 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-23-2021, 10:59 PM
LnC993
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

I don’t understand why GT4’s 4.0 can’t fit in a 992. Basically the GT4’s 4.0 is a bored and stroked, turbo free version of 992’s 9A2 Evo engine. And in theory, you can use GT4’s engine parts to take a 3.0 liter 992 flat-6 to 4.0 liters.

The following users liked this post:
pcar-yvr (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 12:59 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,026 Likes on 4,871 Posts

Not happening
Old 03-24-2021, 10:31 AM
stiff///M
Racer

Originally Posted by westcoastj
Porsche has already nixed the idea of dropping the engine from the GT4 into the 911 range.

"It wasn’t ever going to power just those cars, so we weren’t in the least bit surprised to see it appear in the higher production volume Cayman and Boxster GTS 4.0 models. If you’re now hoping it’ll make it into the 911 Carrera, though, perhaps a new Carrera T, prepare for disappointment."

“The 4.0-litre engine in the GTS can’t be rotated through 180 degrees to fit in the 911. We will not see them again [N/A engines in the Carrera range]. I’m sorry about that,” he said. “The R&D costs are too high to develop such an engine for the Carrera,” he added.
That pretty much ends that idea. Guess I'll stick with plan A and just add catless headers and software to the 3.0TT.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:47 PM
pcar-yvr
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts

Can someone more mechanically inclined explain this to me, as it seems to make no sense?
Porsche takes a 3L engine out of the 911 - removes the turbos/plumbing, bores the block out to 4L, and now it doesn't fit??
Oh, and Porsche can fit a 3.7L in the 992 Turbo and a 4.0L in the 992 GT3 with essentially the same chassis. Wat?

I'm of the camp that they will NOT put in the NA 4.0 in the Carrera T - but that's more to maintain their model hierarchy.
That said, I'm having a hard time believing/understanding this Porsche executive's explanation that it's because it won't fit.
Old 03-24-2021, 01:15 PM
stiff///M
Racer

Originally Posted by pcar-yvr
Can someone more mechanically inclined explain this to me, as it seems to make no sense?
Porsche takes a 3L engine out of the 911 - removes the turbos/plumbing, bores the block out to 4L, and now it doesn't fit??
Oh, and Porsche can fit a 3.7L in the 992 Turbo and a 4.0L in the 992 GT3 with essentially the same chassis. Wat?

I'm of the camp that they will NOT put in the NA 4.0 in the Carrera T - but that's more to maintain their model hierarchy.
That said, I'm having a hard time believing/understanding this Porsche executive's explanation that it's because it won't fit.
I believe since the motor has to be flipped around to fit in a cayman since it's mid engine, the plumbing of oil, coolant lines, sensors etc completely change. It sounds like the way the 4.0ltr was designed to be a mid engine application, the ability to work when flipped around is not so simple. Back in the day of the 987/997, it was fairly simple with 3.8ltr's put in 987's regularly.
Old 03-24-2021, 06:55 PM
3uros
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 197 Posts

Womp womp....so much for wishing...maybe Porsche will really get a handle on that synthetic fuel situation for future 911 generations and can then produce a NA Carrera that burns clean as is Porsche's hope to not make the 911 electric.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:54 AM
SF_
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 51 Posts

Well, I'm on the list for the T now - I blame this forum for even considering another car. I was minding my own business on the Cayenne boards and started creeping in here. Next thing I find myself configuring 992s online, often. No idea when the T will be released, if ever, but the undertones of the reaction from my SA was 'this is totally reasonable to think a T is coming'. If it doesn't I'll switch over to an S. Honestly, my only requirement is a manual transmission, and if the base was offered in a manual, I would consider it. The S seems great, but I'm worried the power is less usable. I'm probably going to have an S vs T debate now for a while. The one thing pushing me in the S direction are the configuration options. I want my build to have a classic feel - something like silver on truffle with silver window trim and Carrera exclusive design wheels. I don't think you can do that in a T, but the spirit of the T is currently winning. I think having a more raw base with a manual sounds like an amazing package.

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club