Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2023, 12:53 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 377 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Uhu
Someone from the dealership told me that the T will only be produced in 2023. As in Jan-Dec 2023. One year only.
Others have brought this up on the forum, that is approximately the production period for the 2018 and 2019 991.2T. About 12 months. So its not unreasonable.
Old 05-06-2023, 01:13 PM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 949 Posts

Originally Posted by Uhu
Someone from the dealership told me that the T will only be produced in 2023. As in Jan-Dec 2023. One year only.

That is how I have understood it as well. I inquired with my rep yesterday whom has been with the dealership for 40+ years. He stated it is an unknown at this moment. I am currently within the top ten on the waitlist and truthfully I am not that optimistic that I will get an allocation. Hopefully I am proven to be incorrect.

Last edited by RatherJaded; 05-06-2023 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-06-2023, 01:45 PM
robopp
Instructor

Received 203 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Z
Courtesy of 355Shawn

Looks like Siem Confucius will dock at Emden around 740 CST….then hopefully load up and leave a day or so later….
Interesting and thanks for the share! My car is scheduled to get to Emden on 5/11. Fingers crossed it gets on the Siem Confucius!
The following users liked this post:
Cartod (05-06-2023)
Old 05-06-2023, 02:08 PM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

Received 4,459 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I'm only at 150 miles so I cant get on it too much...

Quick vid of the JCR Titanium Center exhaust.
​​​​​​​
https://youtube.com/shorts/J4EK05iqA5c?feature=share
The following 4 users liked this post by tourenwagen:
2020Spyder (05-06-2023), ECNJ (05-07-2023), HerrDr (05-07-2023), Uhu (05-06-2023)
Old 05-06-2023, 02:08 PM
Cartod
Burning Brakes

Received 2,202 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by robopp
Interesting and thanks for the share! My car is scheduled to get to Emden on 5/11. Fingers crossed it gets on the Siem Confucius!
mine too!
Old 05-06-2023, 02:09 PM
Uhu
Racer

Received 1,099 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Barkat03
Yeah - I have to smile when I read comments about Michelins v Pirelli’s etc. With respect, most people on this forum wouldn’t even get near 75% of the potential of either of those tyres on a track!
Besides, would Porsche be so stupid as to shod their icon with under par tires…seriously?!
More and more cars are delivered with Cup 2 tires (or similar) as standard, a result of the childish run after Nürburgring laps records. And some people even go as far as to replace the OEM tires with Cup 2 too, or similar.
The thing about this tires is that you can easily see if they were ever "switched on" or not. I find it hilarious to see pretty capable sport cars, the owners all seriously talking about tracking them or carving canyons...but a look at the tires tells you that they were never switched on or worse, they are almost destroyed by understeer. No comment. Also, they come with a lot of drawbacks and limitations.

I don't care about the absolute limit, because I will never go there. Why risk a car for bragging rights?
But going for 90-95% is still ok and it feels good to brake very late and feel how close to the ABS threshold you are. I don't like to overstep into that territory, the modulation and the feeling of braking "with pebbles between pads and discs" gives me the heebie jeebies.
Same good feeling when carrying just the correct amount of speed into a turn. Or, the most rewarding of them all...finding the perfect line.

I care about a tire that wears well and even, gives good feedback and has a broad upper limit. If that limit is "thin", the switch from "in control" to "out of control" is sudden/with no warning and the car is impossible to catch and brought back under control.
I heavily recommend the "kick plate" if you have the chance. It gives you a pretty good measure of your ability to sense the "car departing" and in which direction (to be able to properly counter steer).
HerrDr (05-07-2023)
Old 05-06-2023, 03:49 PM
cal10882
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Picked up my 911 T yesterday. Drove it back through North Jersey and initial impressions are somewhat similar to what AdamIsAdam stated.
A few points of reference for how I am informing my opinion as well:
This is my first "modern" sports car since an 08 E92 M3 w/manual. I had that car for approximately 2 years.
I have a 1963 356B that I putter around in my town with on weekends. I've had this one for nearly 20 years. This is also why I had "modern" in quotes.
I am also coming off of two days driving a friend's 2016 Cayman GT4 within the past two weeks, so impressions are still relatively fresh for this comparison versus any m3 comparisons.

1. "Too much tech" - the sheer number of options/configurations/etc that you can set-up the car with is a bit overwhelming. Most of it is related to the infotainment system but there are other driver setting configurations that require some attention to get the most out of the experience. You don't really get in and start the car and go with this one.
2. Steering- is a bit numb and slow relative to the GT4 I drove and way less communicative than how I remember the e92. It is precise but feedback is lacking. This car has power steering plus and no RWS for reference.
3. Transmission- less precise on engagement with respect to shifting, same with clutch take-up. This is a much lighter clutch than the gt4 and how I remember the m3. Both have clutches with more tactile engagement- I don't think it is due to the "heavier" feel but perhaps that is part of it. FWIW- the gt4 transmission is my favorite manual to date.
4. Sound- surprisingly muted, even with the sport exhaust open. There are some nice pops and burbles in sport mode but overall, quite mellow from the inside (i'm told it's a different animal outside). Granted, I kept the engine mostly in the 2-3500rpm range given I am in the break-in period.
5. Stereo- went with the base stereo- not great but serviceable. This was intentional as I'll likely add an aftermarket set-up later. Given how quiet (relatively) the car, I could see investing in the Bose/Burmester if you aren't inclined to go aftermarket.
6. Heel Toe- ability: I am not the best at this so take it with a grain of salt but the pedals feel a bit off from an elevation perspective. Spacing is fine but the break pedal seems to sit a good higher than the accelerator making for a slightly awkward heel/toe experience. Again, I am pretty mediocre at this so it could just be operator error/lack of talent.
7. General Feel/Sensation- I feel like you don't drive this car as much as you operate it. It feels less like an extension of the driver and more like an independent translation of driver inputs if that makes sense. The GT4 felt much more like an extension of the driver- your inputs felt as though they were mechanically extended through the machinery versus optimized, processed, and corrected.

Subjective appearance impressions- the car is quite attractive. I thought I liked the looks of the 991.2 more than this but I think this one is really growing on me. I am still not a huge fan of the full rear tail "light bar" but it's not bad. The "bump" 911 brake light isn't as obvious as I thought it looked in passing. This car looks great in person and standing still. I am not a fan of the black side view mirrors and will replace them with body color mirror caps. This could also be because I removed the side deals so the black mirrors are an even starker contrast on a white car.

TL: DR- incredible car but if you are coming to it from a slightly older sports car or benchmarking it against something like a gt4, I think you'll find this car is more "digital" and less connected than perhaps expected for the "T" model. That being said, I look at the car and grin from ear to ear.
The following 9 users liked this post by cal10882:
2020Spyder (05-06-2023), AMALFI RACING (05-06-2023), BOS911T (05-06-2023), HerrDr (05-07-2023), Honza (05-06-2023), Macboy (05-06-2023), rennfish (05-06-2023), Uhu (05-06-2023), Wilder (05-06-2023) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-06-2023, 03:50 PM
Macboy
Burning Brakes

Received 3,301 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by Evolution1
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRZ4XET1 I would appreciate some feedback on the build.
Only but major issue to me is missing of PDLS+. You will now get the white upper headlight part which to me is pretty ugly especially with the red. My biggest remorse.

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
And then there was this today...
CONGRATULATIONS MAN FINALLY! Don’t you think the 911 is sexy as hell?

Originally Posted by T Zing
My long-awaited Carrera T was delivered today to Porsche Carlsbad near San Diego. Build specs: Guards Red, Leather Interior with Sport-Tex.
Love the black look (no red stitching) with just some little red details inside. Since the outside pops already. Great choice!

Originally Posted by Scott P
I'm at 996 miles in 8 days for break-in. Engine is now but transmission needs 1800 I hear . . .
What does this mean with the transmission?

Originally Posted by N3DXT
It's taken about 5 months of spare moments to read this thread from the start to where it is today but wanted to be 'up to date' before I posted on here.
You sir are a hero and role model for all people here. What colors are on your current shortlist?

Originally Posted by TUD
Out of curiosity, what are the odds that there will be a .2 of the T?
Close to zero. We are very sure the 992.2 will be hybrid so I don’t think the manual will survive. PDK only except for the GT models. So that means no more T.
HerrDr (05-07-2023)
Old 05-06-2023, 03:54 PM
Barkat03
Burning Brakes

Received 1,754 Likes on 705 Posts

Interesting comparison between Michelin and Pirelli!

https://toptirereview.com/michelin-p...li-p-zero-pz4/
Old 05-06-2023, 03:59 PM
Pivot
Burning Brakes

Received 1,668 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Uhu
More and more cars are delivered with Cup 2 tires (or similar) as standard, a result of the childish run after Nürburgring laps records. And some people even go as far as to replace the OEM tires with Cup 2 too, or similar.
The thing about this tires is that you can easily see if they were ever "switched on" or not. I find it hilarious to see pretty capable sport cars, the owners all seriously talking about tracking them or carving canyons...but a look at the tires tells you that they were never switched on or worse, they are almost destroyed by understeer. No comment. Also, they come with a lot of drawbacks and limitations.

I don't care about the absolute limit, because I will never go there. Why risk a car for bragging rights?
But going for 90-95% is still ok and it feels good to brake very late and feel how close to the ABS threshold you are. I don't like to overstep into that territory, the modulation and the feeling of braking "with pebbles between pads and discs" gives me the heebie jeebies.
Same good feeling when carrying just the correct amount of speed into a turn. Or, the most rewarding of them all...finding the perfect line.

I care about a tire that wears well and even, gives good feedback and has a broad upper limit. If that limit is "thin", the switch from "in control" to "out of control" is sudden/with no warning and the car is impossible to catch and brought back under control.
I heavily recommend the "kick plate" if you have the chance. It gives you a pretty good measure of your ability to sense the "car departing" and in which direction (to be able to properly counter steer).
This a nice video of it. Gives you a whole new perspective about the "car departing"

I like your tyre observations @Uhu .

Also, normal road vs track tyres is a different proposition.

The kick plate is an excellent test of our abilities and the vehicle behavior.
Old 05-06-2023, 04:23 PM
Macboy
Burning Brakes

SHORT REVIEW AFTER BREAK IN IS OVER

I just passed the 1500km today and break in period for me is official over. The engine will need around 3000 miles more to perform at its best and have the best consumption. But I am ready to start using the engine. Due to a long trip to Luxembourg with a lot of tight corners and some rain I was not able to pass the 1100km and 1300km rpm increase. So when the car could finally do 6000rpm and 6500rpm I did not have any real moment to try it out. So I was just “stuck” at the 5500rpm part. And as told before I loved the car in the 2000-5500 range.

But today something very special happened. I was already a bit warned by Scott. But was not paying any attention so what happened was one of the most positive surprises ever. As you may know I owned a 991.2 T with the better sounding engine. Of course it had the turbo so that one was even less good sounding than the old non Turbo Boxster engines. But still, great sound from 5000rpm going redline and changing gears and dropping to that 5000rpm again. I knew this would not be the sound of the 992 T. Spoiler: it isn’t. But just keep on reading. Cause I have also owned the GT3 with the best sounding 9000rpm engine. Drove 25.000km with it so have a pretty good experience how a good Porsche should sound. And of course I also drove a 992 4S with basically the same engine.

So not paying real attention to the car I was just casually driving some beautiful scenic roads through woods and along rivers. The road was very popular for motors. So I was behind a group of bikers. They were pretty experienced actually so I was following them casually and enjoying the drive. All of a sudden the bikers gave gas when I was not paying attention so unconsciously I floored the gas trying to get closer to them again. What happened then was one big surprise: I heard the sound of an angel on steroids. Accompanied by going through the speed of light. The car was soooo much faster above 5000rpm and sounded soooo much better than below 5000rpm. I was actually shocked. Drove the car more than a thousand miles and was pleasantly surprised but this was of another level! It had a crisp metallic punch added in the sound and was more beautiful than I would have ever hoped or dreamed of. An orchestra of symfonic p0rn.

It is not the same sound as the 991.2 T. It’s just totally different. Not better or worse. But in many ways it was actually maybe even better. Remember the video where Luke was comparing the sound with the GT3? There just is a metallic sound in the T engine revving high which is mind bogglingly good! It is what Scott also explained with his 8000rpm remark. I finally understood him. The engine is screaming. As if he finally could do what he wanted all the time. As a lion coming out of his cage. I am not exaggerating. I am just sharing my experience. And wanted to let you know what cars I am coming from. And even with all that experience I was unexpectedly positively surprised. Woooow. What a car!

And the car felt much much quicker than expected. After the 5000rpm Porsche added some extra horsepower. The car should be linear as hell. But it didn’t feel like that. It felt it has a special place in the higher revs department. Porsche just did something to the T. Comparing it to the 4S is not easy. That car felt faster overall, but not by much. Above 180km/h you start to notice the difference. But being so engaged with the car with the manual shifter it all comes together. So you don’t notice any real difference. I would never wish for more horsepower in the T. The car is just quick as hell. And much better than I had hoped or dreamed for. Also going flat out doesn’t give you those illegal speeds. But it gives all the thrills and sensation you could hope for. I call it perfection. A symbiose of perfect sound and speed.

After being shocked with the sound and the speed of the car I wanted to test it out again. Because I was sure this sound was heard around the redline. But as I was not paying attention I did not see where it was. Funny thing? Turns out to be at the 6000rpm exactly. So something happens from the 6000rpm making the car feel not linear at all but added speed and sound. Porsche engineers just did it. I just can’t stop typing about it.

WHAT A MACHINE !!!!!

Last edited by Macboy; 05-06-2023 at 04:35 PM.
The following 15 users liked this post by Macboy:
2020Spyder (05-06-2023), AMALFI RACING (05-06-2023), Cartod (05-06-2023), dreamin11 (05-06-2023), Edward911 (05-06-2023), Graeme's T (05-06-2023), HerrDr (05-07-2023), N3DXT (05-07-2023), rennfish (05-06-2023), rokkerkory (05-06-2023), T-Fury (05-06-2023), toph4242 (05-07-2023), Uhu (05-06-2023), Wilder (05-06-2023), Ørjan (05-07-2023) and 10 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-06-2023, 04:27 PM
Barkat03
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pivot
I like your tyre observations @Uhu .

Also, normal road vs track tyres is a different proposition.

The kick plate is an excellent test of our abilities and the vehicle behavior.
@Uhu
On Thurs I did the kickplate at PEC around 6 or 7 times, some with traction control on and some with it off to demonstrate the difference.
With these fat tyres once you start aquaplaning you’re virtually a passenger. Turning into it helps but …
Also, driving a manual was more challenging in those situations because if you don’t engage the clutch you stall, and stalling in the middle of fast moving traffic isn’t great.
In an automatic (assuming you haven’t smashed into anything) is easier as the engine keeps running.

Old 05-06-2023, 04:29 PM
Pivot
Burning Brakes

Received 1,668 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by TUD
I have read various statements stating that the current T production would end in 2024. Why I am inquiring.

Carrera T is a run-out model, to deplete the 992.1 excess parts in prep for 992.2 production. So it will be produced as long as excess inventory is available. The cars can be built on the same line, as the platform is fundamentally the same.

E.g. old(er) base motor (385 PS) is likely to be replaced with uprated one, so it needs to be flushed out from the production line. Similarly, the 992.2 S is getting newer manual transmission from 992.1 GTS, so the old box also has to go from the line. The obsolescence list goes on and sadly, Bose, LWBS are held back and not available to the T.

… and the fewer cars are made, the more desirable the 992 T becomes.
RatherJaded (05-07-2023)
Old 05-06-2023, 04:30 PM
Barkat03
Burning Brakes

@Macboy
Thanks for that review - agree mostly but particularly your comment…

After being shocked with the sound and the speed of the car I wanted to test it out again. Because I was sure this sound was around the redline. Funny thing? Turns out to be at the 6000rpm exactly. So something happens from the 6000rpm making the car feel not linear at all but in speed and sound. Porsche engineers just did it. I just can’t stop typing about it’
Macboy (05-06-2023)
Old 05-06-2023, 04:55 PM
Macboy
Burning Brakes

I love your review. But do have some points that deserve some reaction. It’s all opinions of course. But just some perspective.

Originally Posted by cal10882
1. "Too much tech" - the sheer number of options/configurations/etc that you can set-up the car with is a bit overwhelming. Most of it is related to the infotainment system but there are other driver setting configurations that require some attention to get the most out of the experience. You don't really get in and start the car and go with this one.
You get in the car. Use the mode switch button to change to SPORT. And forget about the infotainment.

2. Steering- is a bit numb and slow relative to the GT4 I drove and way less communicative than how I remember the e92. It is precise but feedback is lacking. This car has power steering plus and no RWS for reference.
Comparing the car to a GT product is difficult. GT is of a complete other level. Even compared to a 718 is difficult. A mid engined car will always feel more direct. I think the 911 feels exactly as a 911 should feel with the engine in the back. I think you should have not ordered variable steering plus. Why would you add such things when you don’t like high tech? If you want the most analog feel you should leave out all additions. Having said that, I still think the variable steering has a plus to many of us. But I did not order it because of the reasons you mentioned. You do notice the 992 was designed with variable steering in mind. I will elaborate on this some other moment.

3. Transmission- less precise on engagement with respect to shifting, same with clutch take-up. This is a much lighter clutch than the gt4 and how I remember the m3. Both have clutches with more tactile engagement- I don't think it is due to the "heavier" feel but perhaps that is part of it. FWIW- the gt4 transmission is my favorite manual to date.
The 7 speed manual is not the same as the GT 6 speed manual. But for the rest it’s the best out there you can currently buy on the market.

4. Sound- surprisingly muted, even with the sport exhaust open. There are some nice pops and burbles in sport mode but overall, quite mellow from the inside (i'm told it's a different animal outside). Granted, I kept the engine mostly in the 2-3500rpm range given I am in the break-in period.
Seems very personal indeed. Don’t know if you have the backseats? Could be some difference there. See my review to see how opinions can differ soundwise. The car is known for having more sound from the cabin than from the outside, so I think you got that part mixed up?

7. General Feel/Sensation- I feel like you don't drive this car as much as you operate it. It feels less like an extension of the driver and more like an independent translation of driver inputs if that makes sense. The GT4 felt much more like an extension of the driver- your inputs felt as though they were mechanically extended through the machinery versus optimized, processed, and corrected.
I don’t think you can compare an ultimate GT product with a non GT product. It’s like comparing an M3 with a M340i. Different worlds.

Last edited by Macboy; 05-06-2023 at 05:02 PM.
HerrDr (05-07-2023)

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club