Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2023 | 08:44 PM
adm63
Pro

Originally Posted by dudewheresmycar?
Hi, I'm speccing a manual 992 Carrera T right now and was wondering what would be the must have options you recommend?

Full bucket seats?
Leather?
Sunroof? (glass or metal?) (I know...I know T ethos)
Rear seats? (911 ethos )
Anything else?

Thanks in advance!!
As others said, build the right car for you. That said, I picked none of the above.
The following users liked this post:
arrivederci (04-11-2023)
Old 04-11-2023 | 08:49 PM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Colt_45
Have to disagree and say the ethos has merit. Porsche has indicated the purpose behind the T name. Most review consensus is that it only truly makes sense if you don’t go overboard optioning it. And people buying a used T will have certain expectations for what they are buying.

I would go as far to say most T buyers who are specing it against the “ethos” would probably not have bought the T if all models were readily available to order.

With all that said, in this market, I don’t blame anyone who has an allocation from specing it however they want. And in general, there should be no prohibition against any particular option. They all have a reasonable purpose for a particular buyer’s needs.
The reviews certainly parrot what Porsche suggests in its marketing. And that’s not to say that the marketing doesn’t align to what Porsche meant when they offered the T (with all the options they made available to add, and without the ones they didn’t). But I will say that everyone sees what they want to in a T as it fits into their use scenario and should option accordingly. I think the original ethos of the 911 is an engaging daily driveable 2 door performance car that you could take to the track and beat on without batting an eye. And to me the new T fits that description probably better than anything else in the 911 lineup.
Cartod (04-11-2023)
Old 04-11-2023 | 09:09 PM
reloader-1
Rennlist Member

Have to disagree and say the ethos has merit. Porsche has indicated the purpose behind the T name. Most review consensus is that it only truly makes sense if you don’t go overboard optioning it. And people buying a used T will have certain expectations for what they are buying.

I would go as far to say most T buyers who are specing it against the “ethos” would probably not have bought the T if all models were readily available to order.

With all that said, in this market, I don’t blame anyone who has an allocation from specing it however they want. And in general, there should be no prohibition against any particular option. They all have a reasonable purpose for a particular buyer’s needs.
I might get flamed for this, but this is “my” Porsche ethos take, and why I selected my options:

Overall: The Porsche 911 was created as a driver’s everyday sports car, and therefore I logically chose a manual transmission. With this in mind, and given that I have a 4 year old, I also optioned rear seats. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be able to utilize this as my daily driver, but rather a “toy”. Life is too short for toys that are unplayed with.

Model: Reviewer after reviewer has stated that the manual transmission in the 992 generation is hitting a paradox; it’s an incredible piece of equipment, both the six and seven speed version, but the gearing is rather long so that a GT3/GTS and even S model lose some of the joy in the gearbox as most driving is in 1st and 2nd gear on the street. Therefore, I chose the base model Carrera for a better driving experience.

Sport Options: Of course, as this is a driver’s sports car, I wanted the sports suspension, mechanical limited slip differential, sport chrono package, and of course the sports exhaust to heighten the driving experience. I’m indifferent to lightweight glass, but if it improves the engine audio feedback, even better!

Comfort: These are personal, but I decided to go for seatbelts in Guards red, ambient lighting, and because it’s a year-round daily driven car in South Florida, ventilated seats and a glass sunroof.

The net result of all of this is exactly the “T”, and I believe Ferry Porsche himself would approve of the choices. It’s a car built to drive all day, every day, to enjoy every moment from a sports car perspective, with only those features that allow me to perform at my best, and yet enjoy a beautiful tropical sunset overhead as I drive through the Keys.
The following 2 users liked this post by reloader-1:
Als992 (04-11-2023), Spartakos (04-12-2023)
Old 04-11-2023 | 09:11 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Why all the Burmester hate? A great stereo in a raw manual sports car is a thing, it's what I grew up in the 80s, quick shifts and rock blaring, neighbors love it lol.
The following 3 users liked this post by KenTO:
timothymoffat (04-12-2023), Uhu (04-12-2023), Wolf Fongul (04-12-2023)
Old 04-11-2023 | 09:13 PM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CengueFever
Nice. I currently live in NJ. I grew up in NYC. Lived in LA for 8 years.
Originally Posted by ECNJ
Cool. We should hang out at a car meet later when we both have our Ts! What color did you get?
NJ too. What dealership did you guys buy through? I was told I'm the first Monmouth allocation.
Old 04-11-2023 | 09:15 PM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

Yes and no. Taste is subjective. I spec'd the aerokit wing on mine, that's not very T but I dont care, I love the look. My 991.2T was super ethos-spec with buckets, slicktop, manual, this time I went a little less hardcore
Colt_45 (04-11-2023)
Old 04-11-2023 | 09:22 PM
Colt_45
Advanced

Originally Posted by KenTO
Why all the Burmester hate? A great stereo in a raw manual sports car is a thing, it's what I grew up in the 80s, quick shifts and rock blaring, neighbors love it lol.
No hate for the Burmester, as mentioned every option can meet a certain buyer. You nailed it, you like the T sportiness but want the loudest possible sound. I went back and forth on Burmester because I was afraid of the base audio.

Last edited by Colt_45; 04-11-2023 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-11-2023 | 09:22 PM
gargey
Instructor

For me, it’s the six thousand dollars.
The following 7 users liked this post by gargey:
992carrerat (04-12-2023), Als992 (04-11-2023), arrivederci (04-12-2023), Cartod (04-11-2023), HerrDr (04-12-2023), Scott P (04-12-2023), tourenwagen (04-11-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-11-2023 | 09:41 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

I feel like this thread is going in circles. I guess it has to when it's at close to 10K posts. I mentioned the stupidity of the T ethos early on and almost got banned from the thread (kidding of course). But seriously, it's a bit ridiculous. Compare it to the original T or if you are that worried about T ethos, I would suggest not worrying about deviated stitching on your extended leather package. SMH.
Anyway....Burmester is another one of those things coming back up in this thread. My opinion on a good sound system is that if you like good audio, then get it. I would not want anyone tearing my panels apart after the fact only to save a couple of grand.
Lastly, I just got a GTS allocation for ED. Not sure I'll take it but when I do a side-by-side comparison with the same options it's only 16K more than the T. I'm leaning on going for it.
tourenwagen (04-11-2023)
Old 04-11-2023 | 09:45 PM
renn.tp
Racer

To be completely honest, I was so irritated to shell out the 5.5k on burmester when submitting my build. Can say with confidence all of that irritation is gone — the stereo rocks. Windows down, rocking in the T with some great tunes on a nice day. Can’t beat it folks!
The following 3 users liked this post by renn.tp:
Graeme's T (04-12-2023), Ikone (04-11-2023), Patriot (04-12-2023)
Old 04-11-2023 | 09:46 PM
stiff///M
Racer

Yes!, This was my teenage years in my BMW 2002. Weber carb, headers and a 10" sub. I am really regretting not getting the burmester at this point hearing the base stereo reviews. Just couldn't pull the trigger for a $6k upgrade. So mad Bose wasn't available for '23's so I guess I'll be on the upgrade watch.
Old 04-11-2023 | 09:48 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by stiff///M
Yes!, This was my teenage years in my BMW 2002. Weber carb, headers and a 10" sub. I am really regretting not getting the burmester at this point hearing the base stereo reviews. Just couldn't pull the trigger for a $6k upgrade. So mad Bose wasn't available for '23's so I guess I'll be on the upgrade watch.
The Bose that's now in the configurator, apparently is not the same system as before. It has a couple hundred less watts and a lower system since that's all they can get right now and since there is demand for the Bose system, they added it.
Old 04-11-2023 | 09:50 PM
Porsch
Banned

Originally Posted by Cartod
What option does Porsche allow you to choose on the T goes against it’s ethos ??
I have no dog in the fight, and I couldn’t possibly care less what people option on their cars, but I think this is actually an exceptionally easy question to answer. Here are a few that come immediately to mind:

— sunroof
— burmester
​​​​​—18-way seats
— Spyder wheel
— PDK
etc

These are all options that add weight and/or comfort that T ethos people would likely not select. Again I don’t care, but just saying.

Last edited by Porsch; 04-11-2023 at 09:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Porsch:
Bobby 911 (04-11-2023), Cartod (04-11-2023)
Colt_45
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ikone
I feel like this thread is going in circles. I guess it has to when it's at close to 10K posts. I mentioned the stupidity of the T ethos early on and almost got banned from the thread (kidding of course). But seriously, it's a bit ridiculous. Compare it to the original T or if you are that worried about T ethos, I would suggest not worrying about deviated stitching on your extended leather package. SMH.
Anyway....Burmester is another one of those things coming back up in this thread. My opinion on a good sound system is that if you like good audio, then get it. I would not want anyone tearing my panels apart after the fact only to save a couple of grand.
Lastly, I just got a GTS allocation for ED. Not sure I'll take it but when I do a side-by-side comparison with the same options it's only 16K more than the T. I'm leaning on going for it.
You may be inadvertently proving the point. You think the ethos is ridiculous. And now you have a GTS allocation and you’re ready to jump. That makes sense for someone who doesn’t care about the ethos because the GTS is a better fit for you.

Last edited by Colt_45; 04-11-2023 at 09:52 PM.
stiff///M
Racer

Originally Posted by Ikone
The Bose that's now in the configurator, apparently is not the same system as before. It has a couple hundred less watts and a lower system since that's all they can get right now and since there is demand for the Bose system, they added it.
Well that makes me feel a little bit better. Can't believe they still ask $1600 for it and make it appear like it's the same old system.

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club