Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2023, 01:21 PM
Radiationman
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 157 Posts

My T went to the dealer yesterday to deal with the whistling from the passenger side between 35 and 55 MPH.

Their diagnosis - passenger side window out of alignment.

The twist - They noted in their inspection that the rear view mirror was loose and in danger of falling off, so they’re going to replace the windshield too…

I asked - they won’t replace the windshield with regular glass.

Not thrilled that they’re replacing the windshield - I have a PEC ATL delivery sticker on it. Hopefully they can transfer it or get PEC to replace it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Radiationman:
Cartod (08-16-2023), Vernin (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 01:31 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,006 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Originally Posted by Radiationman
My T went to the dealer yesterday to deal with the whistling from the passenger side between 35 and 55 MPH.

Their diagnosis - passenger side window out of alignment.

The twist - They noted in their inspection that the rear view mirror was loose and in danger of falling off, so they’re going to replace the windshield too…

I asked - they won’t replace the windshield with regular glass.

Not thrilled that they’re replacing the windshield - I have a PEC ATL delivery sticker on it. Hopefully they can transfer it or get PEC to replace it.
Sorry to hear about that. Can't believe they have to change the windshield over a rearview mirror. Simple they are not.
The following users liked this post:
Vernin (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 01:38 PM
Radiationman
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
Sorry to hear about that. Can't believe they have to change the windshield over a rearview mirror. Simple they are not.
Well, that and how the rear view mirror is loose - they sent me a video, it’s wobbly - but on my 120 mile drive last Saturday it was fine.

That the mirror is loose at all after less than two months and 1600 miles is odd in its own right.
The following 2 users liked this post by Radiationman:
Vernin (08-16-2023), Wilder (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 03:53 PM
Cartod
Burning Brakes

Received 2,009 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO
I have seen many here wanting to modify their car, but if you believe the T is an instant classic, as I and many reviewers do, you may want to keep it as stock as possible, or only use genuine Porsche parts installed at a dealer. I am speaking from experience.
Are you saying I should send back my Strosek headlight kit?
The following 6 users liked this post by Cartod:
anythingbuttime (08-16-2023), arrivederci (08-16-2023), Barkat03 (08-17-2023), dreamin11 (08-17-2023), Macboy (08-17-2023), Vernin (08-16-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-16-2023, 03:58 PM
Cartod
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by antsy
I don't have a Carrera T but I regularly read this thread because it is always the most fun, helpful, and positive thread on RL. None of the flexing, sniping, or trolling we see in so many other threads. A genuine pleasure to read. Please keep it up folks!
Why does someone always have to jump in that doesn’t own a T and spout off about how nice everyone is?? I’m leaving for good!

😂
The following 9 users liked this post by Cartod:
antsy (08-17-2023), anythingbuttime (08-16-2023), arrivederci (08-16-2023), HerrDr (08-16-2023), Hulley (08-19-2023), Macboy (08-17-2023), Uhu (08-25-2023), Vernin (08-16-2023), Wilder (08-16-2023) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-16-2023, 04:02 PM
Cartod
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by toph4242
All I can say is the 992T WITHOUT rear seats is significantly louder than my previous 992 Carrera with rear seats.... Really notice the lack of insulation, absolutely every road noise can be heard from rocks/sand in the wheel well, the tires on the road, and most importantly the engine intake and exhaust note is much clearer from inside the cabin. I had Sport exhaust in both cars, but can hear the back fire and general sound far more pronounced in the 992T without rear seats. Some may not like the added road noise, but I think it is great... gives a much more raw feeling to the experience.
The cabin sound is how you explained it. I’ve also noticed better engine noise when the windows are up.
You can definitely hear the tiny rocks hitting the underbelly. It got better when I took my tire pressure down to comfort mode. 38/33
toph4242 (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 04:11 PM
AJ_Judi
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Gentian Blue - Key painted in exterior color

Getting my T in GB, the option for getting painted key in exterior color does not have GB.. Asked the dealer and he said for some reason Porsche has an issue currently doing this in GB and they can do it in an aftermarket format at the dealer after the car arrives at the dealer... I declined... just thought it is very strange....
Old 08-16-2023, 04:26 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

Count me in as another non-T owner that has read more of this thread than he cares to admit!

Originally Posted by Vernin
I have been lucky enough to try out the S and GTS and I very much prefer the T I would not take the S or GTS if I had the chance to over the T
Could you (and/or anyone else) elaborate on this feeling?

Many reviewers have said the T's strength is its balanced; I'm sure the reasoning is along the greater-than-the-sum-of-its-parts variety, but I'm wondering what that is mostly attributed to. A few common statements I've gathered:
  • It has all the power you need: like many 992, it seems underrated. But I've noticed this comment often comes from UK reviewers, whose roads do not play as favorably to higher horsepower. Do people really feel the power in the S/GTS throws off the balance so much to be considered a negative? Would that also infer that adding an eventual tune would throw off this desired balance? Or do most really mean that it has all the power you need for the street, so why pay more?
  • The suspension is not as jarring as it is on the GTS and S, which is too stiff: assuming it is, what is the comparison point? Again, putting those UK roads aside, I'd imagine my GT4 is stiffer than the GTS, but it doesn't bother me. Are people finding it jarring in an unsettling way, or that many 992S customers these days might be seeking a more grand touring ride quality?
To take this further, lets say I'm contemplating a 911, because it has backseats, and I now have a little one I'd like to take along for rides. The T interests me due to all the praise its receiving, but my spec would be manual, with the rear seats added back in, and the decals deleted. With some of the possible lightweight advantages of the T not as applicable, how different would a S really be? I can't see more power and better brakes really being a negative, so I'm hoping to gain some further insight as to the je ne sais quoi nature of the T.
Vernin (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 05:09 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 376 Likes on 201 Posts

If by aftermarket they mean the covers available from amazon and the like...you really don't need them. (and by the way the covers from amazon are perfectly fine with a little trial and error.) But more likely they meant they would order them as parts from the factory...which is no different than what happens at the factory.) Many of the "exclusive" options are not completed during assembly...the car is completed and goes to a separate shop to change out items. Seems like an inefficient way of doing it...but explains some of the ridiculous option pricing.

Originally Posted by AJ_Judi
Getting my T in GB, the option for getting painted key in exterior color does not have GB.. Asked the dealer and he said for some reason Porsche has an issue currently doing this in GB and they can do it in an aftermarket format at the dealer after the car arrives at the dealer... I declined... just thought it is very strange....
​​​​​​​

Last edited by anythingbuttime; 08-16-2023 at 06:25 PM.
Vernin (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 05:15 PM
ECNJ
Burning Brakes

Received 2,279 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by Cartod
Are you saying I should send back my Strosek headlight kit?
I’m diggin it. Mod smart, mod right (meaning cleanly reversible if desired at any time)….mod on! My industry friends are generally purists but 100% with making a car more enjoyable and individualized. Heck, if u want to cut the fenders to make it more widebody (is there a liberty walk kit?!)…..ok I went too far. 😵‍💫

Make it your own. Take it to bed with you. Then in the morning make it some breakfast! Ha, I went off a bit there. My mods took my T to another level of fun. Almost too fun, ha. Make it perfect for u.

Last edited by ECNJ; 08-16-2023 at 11:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ECNJ:
Cartod (08-16-2023), Vernin (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 05:20 PM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Received 1,304 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by switchface
Count me in as another non-T owner that has read more of this thread than he cares to admit!

Many reviewers have said the T's strength is its balanced; I'm sure the reasoning is along the greater-than-the-sum-of-its-parts variety, but I'm wondering what that is mostly attributed to. A few common statements I've gathered:
  • It has all the power you need: like many 992, it seems underrated. But I've noticed this comment often comes from UK reviewers, whose roads do not play as favorably to higher horsepower. Do people really feel the power in the S/GTS throws off the balance so much to be considered a negative? Would that also infer that adding an eventual tune would throw off this desired balance? Or do most really mean that it has all the power you need for the street, so why pay more?
  • The suspension is not as jarring as it is on the GTS and S, which is too stiff: assuming it is, what is the comparison point? Again, putting those UK roads aside, I'd imagine my GT4 is stiffer than the GTS, but it doesn't bother me. Are people finding it jarring in an unsettling way, or that many 992S customers these days might be seeking a more grand touring ride quality?
To take this further, lets say I'm contemplating a 911, because it has backseats, and I now have a little one I'd like to take along for rides. The T interests me due to all the praise its receiving, but my spec would be manual, with the rear seats added back in, and the decals deleted. With some of the possible lightweight advantages of the T not as applicable, how different would a S really be? I can't see more power and better brakes really being a negative, so I'm hoping to gain some further insight as to the je ne sais quoi nature of the T.

​Well the S costs noticably more, especially after you add Sport Exhaust, Sport Plus seats and lightweight glass, and doesn't come with the Carrera T interior/sport tex package.
Vernin (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 05:25 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,006 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Originally Posted by toph4242
All I can say is the 992T WITHOUT rear seats is significantly louder than my previous 992 Carrera with rear seats.... Really notice the lack of insulation, absolutely every road noise can be heard from rocks/sand in the wheel well, the tires on the road, and most importantly the engine intake and exhaust note is much clearer from inside the cabin. I had Sport exhaust in both cars, but can hear the back fire and general sound far more pronounced in the 992T without rear seats. Some may not like the added road noise, but I think it is great... gives a much more raw feeling to the experience.
Thank you for this. Many here have rear seats and I wondered why they think it's quiet when to me with rear seat delete the volume is perfect (in sport mode). This accounts for part of it I'm sure.

Originally Posted by switchface

I believe the base engine has all the power you need for a street car. Some argue otherwise, but it seems to be people who want more torque to race from stop light to stop light without much effort. The nature of the Carrera has historically been underpowered and rev happy. The T has more of this nature with its smaller, quicker spooling turbos. Unlike it's NA predecessors, It's very torquey but it likes to live above 3k and rewards you for it. On a 400HP car, because Porsche underrates its engines and it's been dyno'd at that, you don't need more. If you plan to track often and you want to be ahead of the line, then yes, more power would be helpful, otherwise this engine is perfect.

I can't comment on the suspension. The T comes standard with sport PASM, which is optional on both the S and GTS. Some say PASM is harsher. I don't know but can't see how the same car with the same suspension could yield different levels of stiffness.

As far as the rear seats are concerned, that's a mayor one for me but many here have added them back. If you don't care for the weight savings, Agate accents, and would prefer more power and bigger brakes, the S may make more sense. It really boils down to how you're going to use the car and personal preference.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wilder:
PTS_Greens (08-16-2023), toph4242 (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 05:27 PM
Pivot
Burning Brakes

Received 1,640 Likes on 601 Posts

Good to see this thread is progressively outpacing the ‘992 waiting room’
The following 2 users liked this post by Pivot:
Cartod (08-16-2023), Wilder (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 06:14 PM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,577 Likes on 892 Posts

Great, now with all this talk about better exhaust/engine sound has me waffling about removing the rear seats prior to my freeze date. Just what I needed, some thing else to obsess about. lol

Edit: The only attraction to having the rear seats is that I gain the two additional colored seatbelts that I am paying for one way or another and our dog may or may not sit back there. Other than that no one will ever sit back there.

Last edited by RatherJaded; 08-16-2023 at 06:28 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by RatherJaded:
PTS_Greens (08-16-2023), toph4242 (08-16-2023), Vernin (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 06:20 PM
jonbek
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 259 Posts

@switchface I had a 992S with the same suspension, exhaust, seats, and lightweight glass, and a grip of other options, but PDK whereas my 992T is equipped with a manual.
    • No. The S is balanced and fun and just like the T to me. Honestly the power of the T is good, it's more exhilarating in the S though also easier to go fast and do stupid things. Maybe the PDK is further making me think the S is so much more, but still the T is good, but the added punch of the S was also super fun.
    • Again no. Maybe I'm not good at feedback, but I found the S and T ride quality to be nearly identical. I've run the same set of wheels and tires from the S to the T as well, so I feel like it's a good comparison.
  • To take this further, lets say I'm contemplating a 911, because it has backseats, and I now have a little one I'd like to take along for rides. The T interests me due to all the praise its receiving, but my spec would be manual, with the rear seats added back in, and the decals deleted. With some of the possible lightweight advantages of the T not as applicable, how different would a S really be? I can't see more power and better brakes really being a negative, so I'm hoping to gain some further insight as to the je ne sais quoi nature of the T.
    • There is for sure a T je ne sais quoi magic with the T but also it shouldn't preclude you from buying a S if available to you. If someone offered me a swap, my T for an identical spec S, I'd likely say yes but it would be a soft yes, I don't feel compelled to get another S, likely due to the je ne sais quoi as you put it. I'm also a prior 1966 912 owner, so I tend to end up with dialed chassis, lower powered p-cars.

Last edited by jonbek; 08-16-2023 at 06:22 PM.
Vernin (08-16-2023)

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club