Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2024, 12:54 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Received 1,030 Likes on 470 Posts

I would also very much like to see the 992 T article in Issue 24 of 000: https://000magazine.com/shop/024/
Old 05-20-2024, 01:01 PM
Prototyp1
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Dream in PTS
I got home last night. One of the first things I did this morning was sort through my mail for this issue. Great article and a stunning spec. PTS Underberg Green -- and it's the only Carrera T I've seen with both PTS and the 918 carbon bucket seats.
At first i thought this is the car but lack of bucket. So I guess it makes a twin Underberg. Need to go get a copy of the magazine!

The following 3 users liked this post by Prototyp1:
AJ_Judi (05-20-2024), dreamin11 (05-25-2024), Shortseller (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 01:09 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Prototyp1
At first i thought this is the car but lack of bucket. So I guess it makes a twin Underberg. Need to go get a copy of the magazine!
Wow, gorgeous! Another difference... the Excellence car is a slicktop.
Old 05-20-2024, 01:19 PM
Shortseller
Pro

Received 609 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
@Shortseller thanks for sharing those videos. The first one is a great summary. My car will be like his white one but on steroids. Think 2k lbs, 280hp, glued to the road, and stunning. Performancewise, it won't be far off our Ts. The second video is on point. These cars feel like an extension of your body but they require technique and demand respect not just because of all the things missing, as addressed in the video but also because they are proper rear engined cars unlike our 992s. They drive very differently from the new cars and do require learning how to drive one vs a front or mid engined car.
I have to admit when I started this journey I thought I knew what I wanted even before my first 911. Now with my 2024 991T which gives me a really sense of pleasure on a drive, I have come to believe is just the start. Credit to these members kind enough to offer advise even to a newbie with sometimes an edge of “sure but I know more”, To that I am appreciative. The journey forward, will it be newer or older Porsches, that will be somewhat up to what they do with the newer models or will I go back in time to a more driver focused experience? I would have never thought this at my start, to now I’m just not sure. Have more driving to do and more to learn. Again, my appreciation to the brand, the site and those along the way. Cheers. 🍻

Last edited by Shortseller; 05-20-2024 at 03:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Wilder (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 01:47 PM
Tranceparent
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Yet another buffeting question

992 track guys and gals, what are you doing about buffeting? I installed AWE Foiler Wind Diffuser on the little areas by the wing mirrors, and while it did help it is useless above 120mph or so. I was at WGI this weekend, and the back straight where you are at 130mph+, the buffeting is so bad, the vibration made my vision blurry. What has your experience been, and has anyone truly solved this issue? My M3CS used to get to 145-150 back there with zero buffeting so it was surprising to me to find such a glaring issue on 992’s.

Last edited by Tranceparent; 05-20-2024 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-20-2024, 01:48 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,027 Likes on 1,786 Posts

Bucket list day today.
8 laps at the Green Hell.
Unfortunately not as originally programmed in my new-to-me 997.1 RS but in a rented Supra.
National holiday in Germany so it was busy and pretty much one crash on each of the laps that I was out. Crazy.
I was out with a friend of a friend who is a pro driver and thanks to him I was quite fast on my last lap.
What an incredible experience. I highly recommend it.

I barely took pictures or video but caught this as a passenger in a friend's GT4.

View this post on Instagram
The following 4 users liked this post by Wilder:
6sigma (05-20-2024), aggie57 (05-22-2024), Devon Racer (05-22-2024), Shortseller (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 02:00 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ceepe
Man, that drive to decide video really makes me want a matching numbers 2.2 T. What a cool car that would be to have along with the modern car. I see a Burgundy example in Massachusetts for 220k. The matching ones aren't cheap huh?
Don't get me wrong, a modified, backdated, customized car is also appealing. I need to learn more about the engines themselves. I don't know how I can be this much of an air cooled noob, but I am.
I've spent many an hour thinking through what the best aircooled could be and what I'm getting built is it for me. Happy to share my thoughts and even my builder's contact if you're interested in speaking with him at some point. There are about 40 shops worldwide doing backdates. Most of them are garbage. The guy building mine is truly outstanding. But it's not just about build quality. It's about the approach. That makes all the difference. Most of them are built on 964s. I think that's a mistake and so does my builder. For a true early 911 experience, the ideal is a pre-87 Carrera with a 915 box. Anyway, DM me if you like.

Originally Posted by Shortseller
I have to admit when I started this journey I thought I knew what I wanted even before my first 911. Now with my 2024 991T which gives me a really sense of pleasure on a drive, I have come to believe is just the start. Credit to these members kind enough to offer advise even to a newbie with sometimes an edge of “sure but I know more”, To that I am appreciative. The journey forward, will it be newer or older Porsches, that will be somewhat up to what they do with the newer models or will I go back in time to a more driver focused experience? I would have never thought this at my start, to now I’m just not sure. Have more driving to do and more to learn. Again, my appreciation to the site and those along the way. Cheers. 🍻
Cars are a pastime for some and an obsession for others. Some start as a pastime and it turns into an obsession. I never thought I'd feel nearly addicted to driving sports cars, but specifically and loyally to one brand. Sounds like you may be headed down that rabbit hole. Enjoy it. It's a sweet obsession and a drug I never want to give up.

Originally Posted by Tranceparent
992 track guys and gals, what are you doing about buffeting? I installed AWE Foiler Wind Diffuser on the little areas by the wing mirrors, and while it did help it is useless above 120mph or so. I was at WGI this weekend, and the back straight where you are at 130mph+, the buffeting is so bad the vibration made my vision blurry. What has your experience been, and has anyone truly solved this issue? My M3CS used to get to 145-150 back there with zero buffeting so it was surprising to me to find such a glaring issue on 992’s.
The best solution is to have your window up about an inch or so. It's not really allowed but nobody will notice. Adjust as necessary. If you get caught, explain and most track stewards will let it go.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wilder:
Ceepe (05-20-2024), Shortseller (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 02:14 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

@Wilder - Catching up on your posts. Thank you for the vicarious living. With all of your adventures, I think you need to change your location status to "Occasionally somewhere in Mexico".
Wilder (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 02:20 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dream in PTS
@Wilder - Catching up on your posts. Thank you for the vicarious living. With all of your adventures, I think you need to change your location status to "Occasionally somewhere in Mexico".
Haha. Thank you man. I'm working to make the "occasionally" part a reality. I've only spent 8 months of the year in Mexico the last couple of years. Currently working to bring that number down to 6. Germany will be one of the destinations that reduce that time in MX.
Old 05-20-2024, 03:15 PM
SapphireBlue981S
Instructor

Received 419 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Tranceparent
992 track guys and gals, what are you doing about buffeting? I installed AWE Foiler Wind Diffuser on the little areas by the wing mirrors, and while it did help it is useless above 120mph or so. I was at WGI this weekend, and the back straight where you are at 130mph+, the buffeting is so bad the vibration made my vision blurry. What has your experience been, and has anyone truly solved this issue? My M3CS used to get to 145-150 back there with zero buffeting so it was surprising to me to find such a glaring issue on 992’s.
just AWE Foiler Wind Diffuser and a better helmet
Old 05-20-2024, 03:31 PM
Tranceparent
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SapphireBlue981S
just AWE Foiler Wind Diffuser and a better helmet
Thank you. What kind of helmet do you use that helps with this?
Old 05-20-2024, 03:57 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
Bucket list day today.
8 laps at the Green Hell.
Unfortunately not as originally programmed in my new-to-me 997.1 RS but in a rented Supra.
National holiday in Germany so it was busy and pretty much one crash on each of the laps that I was out. Crazy.
I was out with a friend of a friend who is a pro driver and thanks to him I was quite fast on my last lap.
What an incredible experience. I highly recommend it.

I barely took pictures or video but caught this as a passenger in a friend's GT4.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7Mm8...RlODBiNWFlZA==
Sounds like a great trip! Few years ago I first ran the Ring in a lowly rental Audi A3 estate (6-speed manual) and it was totally awesome. I was full send and still getting passed by almost everything but it didn't matter I was giving it all I had. Honestly I wouldn't want to drive the Ring in a really fast car without a lot more practice. My initial reaction was how the hell is this legal, and only in Germany. Amazing place for car people. Porsches and BMW everywhere. I recall the American hardware (Corvette, Camaro) being seen as unusual and fast.
Old 05-20-2024, 08:13 PM
Macboy
Burning Brakes

Received 3,300 Likes on 733 Posts

The Ring is heaven. Have done more than a thousand laps since 2001. Just a 2,5 hour drive from my home.

Grats to all new owners and what nice stories Wilder! Cannot believe you were here already today. I just hope Pivot ordered the yellow seatbelts. Was to scared to click on the build.

Old 05-21-2024, 12:29 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 6sigma
Sounds like a great trip! Few years ago I first ran the Ring in a lowly rental Audi A3 estate (6-speed manual) and it was totally awesome. I was full send and still getting passed by almost everything but it didn't matter I was giving it all I had. Honestly I wouldn't want to drive the Ring in a really fast car without a lot more practice. My initial reaction was how the hell is this legal, and only in Germany. Amazing place for car people. Porsches and BMW everywhere. I recall the American hardware (Corvette, Camaro) being seen as unusual and fast.
I had the same experience. I drove at maybe 7-8/10ths on a GT4 spec 4cyl turbo Supra. Track weapon but underpowered. Humbling to say the least but when you're learning it, more power would lend itself to mistakes. Was dumbfounded by the amount of crashes. Yellow flags on nearly every if not all. One involving bikes, which I don't think belong there and one involving five cars. It's intense. And yeah, the setup is wild. I mean, instead of pits, you have a parking lot. lol. I absolutely love it. it's a driver's nirvana.

Originally Posted by Macboy
The Ring is heaven. Have done more than a thousand laps since 2001. Just a 2,5 hour drive from my home.

Grats to all new owners and what nice stories Wilder! Cannot believe you were here already today. I just hope Pivot ordered the yellow seatbelts. Was to scared to click on the build.
I should be back in September. Let's make plans to meet up then. With a thousand laps under your belt, it must be fun going out with you. I drove shotgun with one pro and another highly experienced driver in the GT4 clip I posted. So much fun.
Macboy (05-24-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 07:07 AM
gk2k1
3rd Gear

Received 20 Likes on 2 Posts

Similar timing to @Wilder , I just wrapped a dream trip, collecting my T in Zuffenhausen, and then a 16 day trip throughout Austria & Germany. While I had to skip the Großglocknerstraße (what do you know, it snowed in May that day) it was an amazing trip. Naturally, I tested some top-speeds on the Autobahn. Living in the US (for 20+ years now) it seems crazy to have no speed limits. One thing is for sure, 911s are a real Autobahn weapon (and this is the base-engine). I topped out at 165mph (not because of the car, but I simply didn’t feel the need to push more as you zip by the cars in middle or right line at quite a speed). The car was so planted and glued to the road (even in bends at that speed). It was incredible and gives the driver (and even passenger) confidence. While that experience was fun and all, the highlight for me were the country-roads through the Austrian Alps and Germany countryside.

I capped the trip with a drive through the Black Forrest (a must if you pick-up or drop-off a car in Stuttgart in my opinion) and a day on the Nürburgring. It was like Disneyland for Motor-heads and we had the time of our lives there. I’ll definitely take my 2 boys there when they are the right age (their current age is perfect for the back-seats of a 911 ).

Driving the Nordschleife on a wet morning (after it rained all night), wasn’t ideal, but actually a lot of fun, because there were fewer cars on track. Didn’t take any chances, and picked a “pace car” to follow (who I thought was familiar with the track), and then E36 M3 spun around on the damp track right in front of me (I have it on video, too…he barely slid into the gravel at a low speed luckily). It was a bit slick, but the T was incredibly capable and confidence inspiring. I certainly didn’t push it too hard (probably 7/10 but never max acceleration) or set any records and focused on making memories and enjoying the moment! The goal was to bring it home…literally

Definitely checked off a major bucket list item with the European Delivery Experience (on my first 911 as well) and can’t recommend it highly enough. My advice: If you ever get the chance to drive your new 911 throughout Europe, definitely take advantage.

Now it means being patient again for ~2 more months before it arrives in Seattle.

Here are some of my fav pics from the trip.

Let’s GO!

Delivery Experience & Service was exceptional

Probably last time I see one in person

View from the lunch area

Fun mountain road in my hometown

Top of the mountain

I absolutely love the Lizard Green interior with extended leather

Small town in Austria

Porsche Museum in Gmünd

Zell am See

Hohenschangau Castle

Neuschwanstein Castle

Black Forrest Photo Op

Black Forrest

Getting ready for the Ring

Parking Garage at our hotel

The evening before

Lap Photos

Just pure fun!

Parking Garage at the Porsche Museum in Zuffenhausen

Start of the Museum

A classic!

Worth a visit
The following 19 users liked this post by gk2k1:
6sigma (05-23-2024), asuresh8 (05-30-2024), Butzi (05-29-2024), Cartod (05-21-2024), Devon Racer (05-22-2024), dmia (05-23-2024), Dweeble3000 (06-02-2024), ECNJ (05-25-2024), Edward911 (05-24-2024), Icegrill (05-23-2024), Jeff Whitten (05-23-2024), Le Petit Garage (05-22-2024), LuckyP (05-27-2024), Macboy (05-24-2024), MC500 (05-21-2024), porshanut (05-25-2024), quarterscale (05-21-2024), Stespa (05-22-2024), Wilder (05-21-2024) and 14 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club