Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No-Drill Front License Plate Mount for all 992 (NOT a tow hook mount)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 11:18 AM
Carbonio
Former Vendor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ryandarr1979
Taking the mount on and off is super simple. It’s fine at higher speeds (90mph+) but I wouldn’t go through a touch carwash with it as it could be dislocated. It’s not the bracket’s fault, just the relatively thin polyurethane bumper cover material that is the mounting surface. On street legal speeds +, you are fine. If you’re going to the track, probably fine too, but you’re probably removing the bracket and stowing in the frunk anyway ...
Thank you for the review. I can confirm that the mount is stable at speeds over 300kph (180ish MPH) as confirmed on the Autobahn. In addition the mount has been tested on the track with North American license plates with no issue.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:32 PM
rdv
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 103 Posts

Maybe others have mentioned this before....... I have the standard factory plastic front plate mount for my 2021 C2S that came with the car when I bought it. When you hold it in place with your hand or tape to the front bumper in its specified mounting spot, there are two small plastic tabs on the bottom of the plastic mount that extend backwards about 1-2 inches. This is similar to the license plate mount on my old 997. So, same as the 997 mount, I used a small drill, and drilled UP through those two small tabs, into the BOTTOM of the bumper. The holes are impossible to see unless you lay down on the ground on your back and look for them. Then, you take two small self tapping screws and screw them UP through the tabs and voila your license plate mount is mounted, and reasonably secure - at least enough to drive it on the highway, etc. I live in Virginia, where front plates are required. So what I did is already attach the license plate to the plastic mount, and I carry the mounted license plate in the frunk along with a small baggy with two screws and a small screwdriver and a towel. If I get pulled over, I tell the officer I can fix it now if he will give me 5 minutes. I pull out the towel, lay it on the ground, lay on my back, screw on the mounted plate, thank the officer for his patience, and then motor on my way. I pull the plate off when I get him and toss in back into the frunk. All of these expensive and fancy mounts are not needed, and this way the mounted plate does not interfere with the ACC or the parking sensors or anything else. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. Good luck, be careful out there and remember YMMV.
The following users liked this post:
grg1 (05-08-2023)
Old 03-02-2021, 12:53 PM
por356
Racer

Received 394 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by rdv
Maybe others have mentioned this before....... I have the standard factory plastic front plate mount for my 2021 C2S that came with the car when I bought it. When you hold it in place with your hand or tape to the front bumper in its specified mounting spot, there are two small plastic tabs on the bottom of the plastic mount that extend backwards about 1-2 inches. This is similar to the license plate mount on my old 997. So, same as the 997 mount, I used a small drill, and drilled UP through those two small tabs, into the BOTTOM of the bumper. The holes are impossible to see unless you lay down on the ground on your back and look for them. Then, you take two small self tapping screws and screw them UP through the tabs and voila your license plate mount is mounted, and reasonably secure - at least enough to drive it on the highway, etc. I live in Virginia, where front plates are required. So what I did is already attach the license plate to the plastic mount, and I carry the mounted license plate in the frunk along with a small baggy with two screws and a small screwdriver and a towel. If I get pulled over, I tell the officer I can fix it now if he will give me 5 minutes. I pull out the towel, lay it on the ground, lay on my back, screw on the mounted plate, thank the officer for his patience, and then motor on my way. I pull the plate off when I get him and toss in back into the frunk. All of these expensive and fancy mounts are not needed, and this way the mounted plate does not interfere with the ACC or the parking sensors or anything else. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. Good luck, be careful out there and remember YMMV.
Sounds like an easy solution. Could you please provide a few pictures? TIA
Old 03-02-2021, 01:49 PM
Carbonio
Former Vendor

Avoiding holes and screws are the very core ethos of our designs. Yes simpler solutions are available to those willing to pull out a drill but that level of compromise is just unacceptable to our customer base. Fancy engineered and personally adjustable mounts are not for everyone and that's ok
peterdouglas (03-23-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 12:24 PM
ak_911
7th Gear

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone tested this with ACC and what impact it has? Any issues when ACC is turned off?
Old 03-19-2021, 10:31 AM
Carbonio
Former Vendor

We just received a message from a customer telling us that he was driving around last week without his front license plate and got pulled over. A quick 'sorry officer I just washed the car and forgot to put it back on' and 5 second install later and he was let go with a verbal warning.

Even if you hate front plates and don't want to drive with them on, keeping one of our mounts in the frunk is a great way of getting out of a ticket.
peterdouglas (03-23-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 10:39 AM
Austin111
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I want to pick one up. 911 992 arrives in NJ on July 18th 2021. Would love to be your NJ poster boy, do you have a "promo code" to get me to pull the trigger today ??
3rdpedal (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 11:09 AM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,837 Likes on 957 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin111
I want to pick one up. 911 992 arrives in NJ on July 18th 2021. Would love to be your NJ poster boy, do you have a "promo code" to get me to pull the trigger today ??
I'll echo that.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:36 AM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 645 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbonio
We just received a message from a customer telling us that he was driving around last week without his front license plate and got pulled over. A quick 'sorry officer I just washed the car and forgot to put it back on' and 5 second install later and he was let go with a verbal warning.

Even if you hate front plates and don't want to drive with them on, keeping one of our mounts in the frunk is a great way of getting out of a ticket.
That's totally my plan--I keep it in the frunk. Hopefully my car always looks clean :-)
Austin111 (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 04:10 PM
Carbonio
Former Vendor

The bad news is that we do not have any promo codes or discounts. The good news is that we do have inventory and ship same or next day (depending on how late in the day your order comes in).
The following 2 users liked this post by Carbonio:
peterdouglas (03-23-2021), SonofaTarga (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 07:53 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Temporary legal alternatives

The Carbonio and StoNShow devices look great, although it does not seem any of the currently available devices would work for my 992TTS (which also has the Sport Design package).

HOWEVER, many states have a law along these lines, which would (temporarily) allow a no-drill decal or adhesive plate - with number only):

Connecticut Code Title 14, Ch. 246, Sec 14-18(c):

Connecticut General Statutes § 14-18 (2019) - Display of number plates and stickers. Issuance of sample number plates. Return of number plates to commissioner. :: Title 14, Chapter 246 - Motor Vehicles :: 2019 Connecticut General Statutes :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia
Old 03-20-2021, 09:54 AM
rdv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carbonio
Avoiding holes and screws are the very core ethos of our designs. Yes simpler solutions are available to those willing to pull out a drill but that level of compromise is just unacceptable to our customer base. Fancy engineered and personally adjustable mounts are not for everyone and that's ok
Hey, to each his own. My $0.02 is that $275+ for a bracket that interferes with my ACC (which I paid, I dunno, few hundred bucks for) and renders it useless is a suboptimal solution. Yes, yes, I get it... NO HOLES! Good grief, we’re talking about two tiny holes, 1/16th of an inch, on the underside of the bumper, where they can’t be seen unless you’re laying on your back and looking for them. For those without ACC and who are aghast at the thought of two itsy bitsy teeny tiny holes under their bumper the Carbonio bracket looks like a lovely albeit pricey solution. For the rest of us losers we’ll just drive around with two almost invisible holes in a place no one will see thankful that our ACC still works. When I sold my 997 the buyer did a PPI. The mechanic did not notice nor mention the screw holes and the buyer never noticed. My “perfect” 911 was still perfect (well close enough).
Cheers and keep driving!
Ross
Old 03-20-2021, 10:18 AM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by ryandarr1979
Carbonio,

Would you be willing to do a Group Buy if we can commit x number of people?
I asked this of them a couple of years ago for another model Porsche I own. He basically said group buys are for Prius owners. Couldn't believe he would chump a potential buyer.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:20 AM
mathus7
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 106 Posts

The front of 992 is very low - particularly with sport that lowers. Any added impact upon clearance with this attachment? Concerned about damage.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:05 PM
rdv
Rennlist Member

Here are some photos of the low-tech solution I have successfully used on my 2021 911 and on my older 2007 911. This is not rocket science folks. As long as you are careful and can drill a straight hole with a tiny 1/16 inch drill bit you are in business..... Honestly, I think the Carbonio is interesting, if perhaps a bit overengineered. I prefer to keep things simple. For those of you who (a) don't have ACC and (b) live in jurisdictions where you must have the front plate mounted, then perhaps Carbonio is a good solution for you. Personally I HATE front license plates on any of my cars. I'm willing to take the risk of getting pulled over and hoping the cop is sufficiently patient to let me screw the plate on and then be on my way with a warning. Anyways, like I said, this isn't a difficult problem to solve. Good luck.
Cheers.
Ross

Quick Reply: No-Drill Front License Plate Mount for all 992 (NOT a tow hook mount)