Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No-Drill Front License Plate Mount for all 992 (NOT a tow hook mount)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 12:46 PM
Carbonio
Former Vendor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mathus7
The front of 992 is very low - particularly with sport that lowers. Any added impact upon clearance with this attachment? Concerned about damage.
Ground clearance is NOT affected. It remains the same whether or not the plate mount is fitted.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:56 PM
Carbonio
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dave292
I asked this of them a couple of years ago for another model Porsche I own. He basically said group buys are for Prius owners. Couldn't believe he would chump a potential buyer.
Perhaps some clarification is in order. We do not do group buys because the logistics of managing them both for us and for the person on the forum is a disproportionate amount of work relative to the amount of money that can be saved. Group buys take a lot of time, leave customers waiting while others get in, and have a lot of hassles with people dropping out for any one of a number of crazy reasons. As a company we prefer to hold inventory (rather than make it as needed), offer good customer service, and ship quickly. We have found that most customers prefer to get their product quickly rather than save a few bucks and wait weeks for a group buy to come together.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carbonio:
grg1 (05-07-2023), peterdouglas (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 12:28 PM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbonio
Perhaps some clarification is in order. We do not do group buys because the logistics of managing them both for us and for the person on the forum is a disproportionate amount of work relative to the amount of money that can be saved. Group buys take a lot of time, leave customers waiting while others get in, and have a lot of hassles with people dropping out for any one of a number of crazy reasons. As a company we prefer to hold inventory (rather than make it as needed), offer good customer service, and ship quickly. We have found that most customers prefer to get their product quickly rather than save a few bucks and wait weeks for a group buy to come together.
Go back and re read your comment. I fully understand what you are saying however, it's the way you responded and the tone of your response to my honest question that I found offensive.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:45 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 839 Likes on 418 Posts

Go back and re read your comment. I fully understand what you are saying however, it's the way you responded and the tone of your response to my honest question that I found offensive.
You asked if they do group buys. They said no. I did the same. They said they do not. Move on. I did. Respectfully, either you see the value in the product at the price or you don’t. In all fairness, it’s a very low volume product for a high end car. We can afford $100k+ for the car but we’re going to balk at a $275 bracket? Porsche 992 buyers aren’t poor. Nothing to be offended by here. They’re a good company with good service. I ordered a bracket toward the tail end of them re-engineering the mounting plate and they sent me a new mounting plate (1.5” higher position of the plate) in 4 days free of charge.

Last edited by ryandarr1979; 03-23-2021 at 12:48 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ryandarr1979:
gohawks23 (03-23-2021), mikey94025 (03-25-2021), peterdouglas (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 12:50 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts

I asked this of them a couple of years ago for another model Porsche I own. He basically said group buys are for Prius owners. Couldn't believe he would chump a potential buyer.
the vendor said no - perfectly politely and reasonably.
Old 05-29-2021, 03:06 PM
GLS
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Just saw where Cabonio’s website has the no drill front bracket for the 992 with ACC is shipping in June. In looking at the instructions it looks like the bracket is held in place by clips and springs. I may order this soon but was kinda hoping to wait until someone would share their experiences after it ships. Looks pretty slick.

Last edited by GLS; 05-29-2021 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-29-2021, 03:13 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 645 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by GLS
Just saw where Cabonio’s website has the no drill front bracket for the 992 shipping in June. In looking at the instructions it looks like the bracket is held in place by clips and springs. I may order this soon but was kinda hoping to wait until someone would share their experiences after it ships. Looks pretty slick.
Works great—easy on and off if you need that.
Old 05-29-2021, 03:17 PM
GLS
Advanced

Originally Posted by markchristenson
Works great—easy on and off if you need that.
I meant to say with ACC (just edited the post). Is the mounting the same? Thanks.
Old 05-29-2021, 03:38 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 645 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by GLS
I meant to say with ACC (just edited the post). Is the mounting the same? Thanks.
Ah, I see. I’m not sure to be honest, as I have the old version.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:11 PM
BOPE
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

In my mind the slickest and least expensive method of attaching a front license plate to a 911 without drilling or obstructing sensors or cameras is via rare-earth magnets.

Jason
Old 05-29-2021, 08:45 PM
Carbonio
Former Vendor

Our new bracket that will fit 992's with Adaptive Cruise Control will be released next week and the website will be fully updated to reflect the changes. At present the instructions listed are for the spring loaded mount for non ACC cars shown in this thread and do not apply to the new design. The non-ACC mount will continue to be sold as before.

While we will be releasing the product with a dedicated thread, I can outline some the differences to the non-ACC mount:

- Placement of the license plate will be centered in the OEM location. Not down low like the mount in this thread and not offset like a tow hook mount
- Mount will allow for fine tuning adjustment of both angle and projection
- Initial installation will take about 10-15 minutes to mount and set in the preferred position. Once the first install is done the mount can be removed and re-installed in seconds allowing for a clean no-plate look.
- Will not interfere with front camera, ACC, or park sensors
- Mount will cost significantly less than the non-ACC version

In order to achieve all of this (without drilling any holes) and because the 992 with ACC has no physical points to affix to, the new mount comes with a pair of low profile receivers that adhere to the underside of the grill opening. These receivers allow a firm mounting point while being almost invisible when the mount is removed. In addition we worked together with 3M to select a mounting tape that is incredibly strong while still being ultimately removable without any damage. We did an extensive amount of testing and the mounts are incredibly strong while looking OEM once fitted. It is a very slick and neat solution that gives you the opportunity to install and remove your plate in seconds without causing any damage to your car.

As previously mentioned the site will be updated soon with photos and instructions and first deliveries will start next week.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carbonio:
mikey94025 (05-30-2021), peterdouglas (05-31-2021)
Old 05-29-2021, 08:57 PM
GLS
Advanced

Our new bracket that will fit 992's with Adaptive Cruise Control will be released next week and the website will be fully updated to reflect the changes. At present the instructions listed are for the spring loaded mount for non ACC cars shown in this thread and do not apply to the new design. The non-ACC mount will continue to be sold as before.

While we will be releasing the product with a dedicated thread, I can outline some the differences to the non-ACC mount:

- Placement of the license plate will be centered in the OEM location. Not down low like the mount in this thread and not offset like a tow hook mount
- Initial installation will take about 10-15 minutes to mount and set in the preferred position. Once the first install is done the mount can be removed and re-installed in seconds allowing for a clean no-plate look.

In order to achieve all of this (without drilling any holes) and because the 992 with ACC has no physical points to affix to, the new mount comes with a pair of low profile receivers that adhere to the underside of the grill opening. These receivers allow a firm mounting point while being almost invisible when the mount is removed. In addition we worked together with 3M to select a mounting tape that is incredibly strong while still being ultimately removable without any damage. We did an extensive amount of testing and the mounts are incredibly strong while looking OEM once fitted. It is a very slick and neat solution that gives you the opportunity to install and remove your plate in seconds without causing any damage to your car.

As previously mentioned the site will be updated soon with photos and instructions and first deliveries will start next week.
Thanks, looking forward to photos and instructions!
Old 05-30-2021, 12:08 PM
Doc_Ad
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

Definitely looking forward to this. I also happened to have tried contacting you guys through your website about this exact thing but hadn’t heard back yet.

I’m sure we would definitely love to see some pictures of the install and the final product on 992s with ACC.

Thank you.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:16 AM
rdv
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 103 Posts
Smile

Our mount merely blocks the ACC sensor. If you don't care about that then it fits perfectly well..
Right. Let see I paid, gee, I dunno, a couple of grand for Active Cruise Control so I could actually, you know, use it. I suspect there are others like me who actually DO care about slapping on a $279 device that blocks the sensor thus rendering my ACC useless. Besides, see my other post on front license plate installation with instructions and photos showing how one can use the stock plastic factory mounting bracket and mount it WITHOUT drilling into the bumper face thus preserving all of the functionality of the ACC, parking sensors, camera, etc. and having a properly mounted plate that can be removed in seconds if one wishes.

No doubt the Carbonio is well engineered, sturdy and effective, I’m not criticizing the device, but to me it’s a suboptimal and expensive effort that fails at its intended purpose because it solves one problem while creating an entirely new problem. But hey, to each his own and for those that don’t have ACC it looks like a nifty option.

cheers,
Ross
Old 05-31-2021, 09:24 AM
lostcolorado
Advanced

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

I’m looking forward to seeing this in action.

Quick Reply: No-Drill Front License Plate Mount for all 992 (NOT a tow hook mount)