Discounts on 2021 orders

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 08:10 PM
butrcrm
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by coastal
Hey everyone!
I would appreciate everyone’s collective wisdom. What would you do? Buy a C2S Cab with an available May allocation and 1% discount, or get on a no deposit required waitlist for next estimated allocation (eta late summer) with a 4% discount? $180k msrp.

I don’t need a new car in June... just want to replace my 4 year old car sometime in 6-9 months and I prefer a larger discount, saving the extra $5,400... only concern is if a future late summer allocation isn’t received or if a VIP or full MSRP paying person bumps me. Is this typical for waitlist orders if you have a discount?
I don’t want August to roll around and the plant closes for vacation/re-tooling and MY2022 starts and it’s now September and an allocation finally shows up for October/November delivery.
I don’t know if allocations are truly hard to come by or not. I was told by almost every manager (I emailed 10) that there aren’t any allocations and I need to wait for 6+ months to get one.

Any waitlist experiences for non-GT/Turbo allocations? I don’t want to be naive with this decision.

Thanks!
1% is not a very good discount.

I’m not sure of the realistic availability of allocations for C2S cabs if you were to do some more hunting, but I would expect you could work a better discount and in a sooner time frame.

With that said, to your direct question - given your two options, I think it just comes down to your patience. For me, I’d prefer to have the car earlier in summer, particularly for a cab if you’re not in a warm location.

I certainly wouldn’t assume anything about your financial situation, but if for arguments sake, 1% is in fact the best discount and it is the ONLY allocation available, I personally would still go with the earlier allocation and more time to enjoy. The few thousand dollar difference seems very negligible when looking at a $180k price tag.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:58 PM
craig66
Pro

Received 498 Likes on 221 Posts

Hey everyone!
I would appreciate everyone’s collective wisdom. What would you do? Buy a C2S Cab with an available May allocation and 1% discount, or get on a no deposit required waitlist for next estimated allocation (eta late summer) with a 4% discount? $180k msrp.

I don’t need a new car in June... just want to replace my 4 year old car sometime in 6-9 months and I prefer a larger discount, saving the extra $5,400... only concern is if a future late summer allocation isn’t received or if a VIP or full MSRP paying person bumps me.
Is this typical for waitlist orders if you have a discount?

I don’t want August to roll around and the plant closes for vacation/re-tooling and MY2022 starts and it’s now September and an allocation finally shows up for October/November delivery. I don’t know if allocations are truly hard to come by or not. I was told by almost every manager (I emailed 10) that there aren’t any allocations and I need to wait for 6+ months to get one.

Any waitlist experiences for non-GT/Turbo allocations? I don’t want to be naive with this decision.

Thanks!
Also bear in mind what happened this year and could happen annually. A car arriving in September never made it to its owners until mid December. I would do whatever is necessary to facilitate an earlier allocation. They are out there you just need to be aggressive with your calling and be prepared to take a car where ever it is.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:28 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,308 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Example in point, I live in Alaska and managed to find an allocation and discount in CT. So yes, you need to do some scouting....but the help from the forum is invaluable.

siberian
Old 01-11-2021, 11:37 PM
coastal
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Hot climate here luckily, never snows.
The discount of the car is more of wanting a fair deal than a cost issue. If the local dealer wasn’t at 1%, but offered 3% I’d buy it and be satisfied.
If it wasn’t for COVID I would try further out and just sleep at hotels along the way home enjoying the car. I’ll see about maybe trying PEC delivery in LA or ATL.
Maybe I can find a firm allocation somewhere with May/June delivery and a 5-6% discount, and I hope to get the vaccine by then for all of this travel to work out.

Last edited by coastal; 01-11-2021 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:00 AM
butrcrm
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Hot climate here luckily, never snows.
The discount of the car is more of wanting a fair deal than a cost issue. If the local dealer wasn’t at 1%, but offered 3% I’d buy it and be satisfied.
If it wasn’t for COVID I would try further out and just sleep at hotels along the way home enjoying the car. I’ll see about maybe trying PEC delivery in LA or ATL.
Maybe I can find a firm allocation somewhere with May/June delivery and a 5-6% discount, and I hope to get the vaccine by then for all of this travel to work out.
The more convenient option would be to have the car shipped to you locally from whichever dealer you purchase from. You can likely work this into the deal for a nominal cost (or thrown in) to the lower 48.

I’ve heard PEC deliveries will be hit or miss for quite a while to come.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:41 AM
kpblade
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by butrcrm
The more convenient option would be to have the car shipped to you locally from whichever dealer you purchase from. You can likely work this into the deal for a nominal cost (or thrown in) to the lower 48.

:For comparison, my vehicle was on the boat on 11/28, and had spec'd PECLA delivery. Due to Covid Porsche NA could not accomodate a PECLA delivery until March. Had to cancel it since I did not want to wait an additional 2 month and it was delivered back to my SoCal dealer this morning.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:40 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Just received my commission number and freeze date is 2/22/21!!!!!!!!!!! Back to the Lounge...

siberian
The following users liked this post:
mdrobc1213 (01-13-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 12:45 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by butrcrm

I was wondering about that and asked the dealer in CT about having it delivered to the dealer in AK. He said normally THEY would have to pay a fee and are not interested. I asked them to find out how much the fee was and haven't heard back.

Irrespective, here's the plan. The wife's Macan S is due for it's courtesy service in May. IF I can get a May delivery in AK, we could drive down in the Macan, have her service and I could pick up the 992 and drive back separately. Meaning I would arrive back in Fairbanks 2 days and 14 hours earlier than she would

I did not just say that Your Honor ...

siberian
Old 01-12-2021, 04:14 PM
socalsharky
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I've been offered a July delivery on a 992 T4S at a 2% discount. The code is PM58YX27. That discount seems about right for a Targa, which I have heard are hard to come by.

Just wondering if I should wait for the GTS. I think most, if not all of the GTS extras are included in my build, with the exception of the rear Sport Design fascia. In that sense, the GTS may actually be a bargain for me. My current Boxster GTS (3.4L NA) worked out that way.

Last edited by socalsharky; 01-12-2021 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:04 PM
nmoham1
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

hi Siberian!

sorry to bother, long time lurker of this group. i saw that you purchased your car in CT. I too am in the process of purchasing from New Country Porsche Greenwich. I was able to get a 3.5% discount vs your 5% - i think i have poor negotiating skills as is to be honest. but i wanted to see if you were able to get them to waive their "conveyance fee" and if they included any shipping of the car to you in the total out the door cost. Im showing a $795 conveyance fee which seems pretty high, in addittion to a $295 CT lemon law fee. appreciate any advise/clarity you can provide
Old 01-12-2021, 06:29 PM
nmoham1
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by siberian
I was wondering about that and asked the dealer in CT about having it delivered to the dealer in AK. He said normally THEY would have to pay a fee and are not interested. I asked them to find out how much the fee was and haven't heard back.

Irrespective, here's the plan. The wife's Macan S is due for it's courtesy service in May. IF I can get a May delivery in AK, we could drive down in the Macan, have her service and I could pick up the 992 and drive back separately. Meaning I would arrive back in Fairbanks 2 days and 14 hours earlier than she would

I did not just say that Your Honor ...

siberian
hi Siberian!

sorry to bother, long time lurker of this group. i saw that you purchased your car in CT. I too am in the process of purchasing and was able to get a 3.5% discount vs your 5% - i think i have poor negotiating skills as is to be honest. but i wanted to see if you were able to get them to waive their "conveyance fee" and if they included any shipping of the car to you in the total out the door cost. Im showing a $795 conveyance fee which seems pretty high, in addittion to a $295 CT lemon law fee. appreciate any advise/clarity you can provide

thanks,
Mo
Old 01-12-2021, 07:09 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 707 Likes on 278 Posts

Hey everyone!

I don’t need a new car in June... just want to replace my 4 year old car sometime in 6-9 months and I prefer a larger discount, saving the extra $5,400... only concern is if a future late summer allocation isn’t received or if a VIP or full MSRP paying person bumps me.
Is this typical for waitlist orders if you have a discount?

I don’t want August to roll around and the plant closes for vacation/re-tooling and MY2022 starts and it’s now September and an allocation finally shows up for October/November delivery. I don’t know if allocations are truly hard to come by or not. I was told by almost every manager (I emailed 10) that there aren’t any allocations and I need to wait for 6+ months to get one.

Thanks!
I put a large deposit to be first in line for a C2S allocation back in October from a dealer in NJ. Still no allocation. They are in VERY short supply. Each month the dealer hopes for one, but there is no guarantee. I have no reason not to believe the dealer and they did offer me a C2 allocation when they got one. I have a good discount and am not interested in calling dealers all over the country. Just not that important to me, I can wait.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:11 PM
socalsharky
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SBAD
I put a large deposit to be first in line for a C2S allocation back in October from a dealer in NJ. Still no allocation. They are in VERY short supply. Each month the dealer hopes for one, but there is no guarantee. I have no reason not to believe the dealer and they did offer me a C2 allocation when they got one. I have a good discount and am not interested in calling dealers all over the country. Just not that important to me, I can wait.
What was your discount?
Old 01-12-2021, 07:22 PM
craig66
Pro

Received 498 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by SBAD
I know allocations are tight but you should have had an allocation by now if you started all the way back in October especially with a big deposit - just how high was your discount?
Old 01-12-2021, 07:44 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 707 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by craig66
I know allocations are tight but you should have had an allocation by now if you started all the way back in October especially with a big deposit - just how high was your discount?
I hear what you are saying, but C2S allocations in particular are hard to come by - I say this based on not just what 4 dealers told me, but also what others on Rennlist have said. I have read about others with October dealer orders still waiting for an allocation. Who knows!

Quick Reply: Discounts on 2021 orders