992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discounts on 2021 orders

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2020 | 11:07 PM
Anil Thomas
2nd Gear

thanks - confirming mileage but it is not listed as a demo. Agree it seems odd it hasn’t sold given demand -

Originally Posted by craig66
I would have said a year ago that yes somewhere between 12-15 would have been reasonable to account for a standard discount and first year depreciation. That said the scarcity of cars will make it a difficult target to get and I think that a discount of 7-10% is probably most you will see. I hope for your sake I am wrong. On the other hand there is something about that car that has led to it still being on the lot and so pushing hard might get you a decent discount. I am assuming that since you did not say it, it is not a demonstrator and also does not have any significant miles on it. If indeed it does the equation changes somewhat.
Old 12-19-2020 | 02:37 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Anil Thomas
I have a chance to purchase an on the lot base 911 optioned nearly perfect based on what I would spec. Given that the 2021’s are now coming in, would you expect a greater discount on a 2020?
Given the lack of available cars AND difficulty in getting allocations; I would say maybe NOW 7.5-8% since many are now seeing MSRP or around 2-4% depending on the dealership and location. Otherwise I'd say 10-15% IF the car has been sitting that long for almost a year and is indeed a 2020. Bottom line..if you like it and it has the perfect options buy the car not the deal/discount! They are great cars!
Old 12-19-2020 | 09:14 AM
craig66
Pro

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Given the lack of available cars AND difficulty in getting allocations; I would say maybe NOW 7.5-8% since many are now seeing MSRP or around 2-4% depending on the dealership and location. Otherwise I'd say 10-15% IF the car has been sitting that long for almost a year and is indeed a 2020. Bottom line..if you like it and it has the perfect options buy the car not the deal/discount! They are great cars!
Totally agree as long as buyer is intending on keeping the car for a reasonable amount of time. If like many of us he is fickle and will jump into something different within a year or two then the deal does start to matter a lot as a bad deal will make the depreciation hit hard when you trade in in two years although truth be told this dearth of cars will also help to hold resale values up there for a while to come. I saw this even with my 718 Boxster which I traded for the 992. Even the Boxster levels are holding beautifully as there are no cars coming out and even the second hand car market is really strong
Old 12-19-2020 | 01:25 PM
Gum12345
Track Day

Looking to order a TT or TTS. What kind of discount should I expect? Please pm if you have a good sales person you would recommend and would deal.
Old 12-19-2020 | 01:34 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gum12345
Looking to order a TT or TTS. What kind of discount should I expect? Please pm if you have a good sales person you would recommend and would deal.
Look on the 992 TT/TTS forum. There is a thread on that question.
Old 12-22-2020 | 10:04 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

I am between a C4S and a Targa 4s. Has anyone been successful getting a discount on a Targa 4s order?
Old 12-22-2020 | 11:17 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Allocations on Targas are so scarce, the dealers in the Wash DC will tell you full MSRP on them AND you will wait 10 to 13 months to get one. I just bought a highly optioned C2S Cab 2021 Manual Trans yesterday, there are none around. Dealer said full MSRP for the first hour we were there, then came off $ 4,870 on a $ 159,340 sticker. Not much of a deal, but there are none of these cars around so its a sellers market right now.
Old 12-23-2020 | 01:52 AM
becauseitis
Instructor

It's really hard getting any discount on the Targa 4s. I was able to get a small discount; however, i do not have a actual allocation as of yet. Deposit paid and commission # VO70. Supposed to be getting actual allocation within the next 30 days or so. It all depends on your sense of urgency. I imagine in 12 months from now it will all be different. If you want a car/ allocation right now, you are going to pay close to MSRP. Dealers trade allocations all the time so if you can work out a deal with a dealer, they should be able to find you what your are looking for but it's not going to be at much if any discount.
Old 12-23-2020 | 10:12 AM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by becauseitis
It's really hard getting any discount on the Targa 4s. I was able to get a small discount; however, i do not have a actual allocation as of yet. Deposit paid and commission # VO70. Supposed to be getting actual allocation within the next 30 days or so. It all depends on your sense of urgency. I imagine in 12 months from now it will all be different. If you want a car/ allocation right now, you are going to pay close to MSRP. Dealers trade allocations all the time so if you can work out a deal with a dealer, they should be able to find you what your are looking for but it's not going to be at much if any discount.
FYI, V070 just means your dealer has put in a vehicle demand request. It isn't a commission number. You will get that with a real allocation. I personally wouldn't give a deposit unless it came with a real allocation. That way you can keep shopping other dealers and especially if not getting any real discount.

Last edited by gohawks23; 12-23-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-23-2020 | 04:55 PM
becauseitis
Instructor

FWIW, i have a commission # on my build sheet they gave me. Small deposit down. He was up front with me that they do not have the actual allocation as of yet. Correct "V070- Order demand released for order" offered me 4% as well; so that is something and to me and worth the wait. The haggling with dealers is not the fun part of this process.
Old 01-01-2021 | 06:54 PM
rushpuppy
Track Day

Originally Posted by shark715
Been shopping for a new C4S Coupe. Here in the New York City area several dealers have open February and March build allocations, but tough to get much of a discount.

After I mentioned the word "discount" I never heard back from two dealers, another offered a $1500 "courtesy" discount, another offered 1.5% off, another offered 2.5% off, and finally another offered 4%, which I thought was not bad based on all the other comments I've heard. They all wanted doc fees in the $500-$600 range.

Then the other day one of the forum members here was nice enough to connect me with a dealer he has a relationship with (thank you, thank you, thank you) that is about 90 minutes from where I live.

The dealer told me they had a February build allocation for a 4S Coupe, and asked me to email my build and they would price it out. Quoted a 7% discount, which I told him I thought was fair if there were no dealer doc fees. And he agreed.

After a $2000 deposit to my credit card, today I received a build sheet with commission number showing V200 status as well as the Track My Dream email from Porsche estimating an April 2 delivery to the dealer.
congrats. tried to pm you for dealer info, but wasn't working. could you send me a message? thanks in advance.
Old 01-01-2021 | 11:27 PM
Mozella55
Instructor

Originally Posted by markc911
Thank you for your post @gcurnew!

I sell Porsche's (Porsche Certified Brand Ambassador) and the auto business in general is the only business that I can think of where the consumer does not want the dealership or the salesperson to make a dime. The dealership has overhead just like any other business and employees have expenses just like everyone else. Now I'm all for getting and giving a fair deal. However 10% off does not leave much meat on the bone for the salesperson that depends on that to make ends meet. I retired after 35 years as an Architect, and decided to do something completely different and fun and now sell Porsche's however, I work with a few salespeople that are in their 30's and this is their only source of income. If you can afford a new 911 you can afford to pay the salesperson a living wage. Having said that, I do have two 992 Cabriolet's on the lot if interested PM me.
I'm raising the B.S. flag.
I don't owe a car salesman a wage, living or otherwise, unless I'm the guy who owns the dealership. If someone selling cars doesn't think they're making enough money, they should ask their boss for a raise, not me. Or, maybe they should study a book on marketing and salesmanship. Or do what the majority of people on this forum did; i.e. go to school, learn a marketable trade, be careful with money, and put aside enough to buy a Porsche, a Ferrari, or whatever else they want. But don't tell me a car salesman "deserves" a higher wage unless you are comfortable with me saying you can't buy that new pair of shoes you have your eye on and you have to give me some of your money because I "deserve" to own a Porsche which I can't quite afford at the going price.

It's called capitalism and free enterprise, the greatest economic system the world has ever known. It's what makes it possible for some people to own a Porsche, and that includes most (if not every) person on this forum. I've got money and you have some goods. We can agree to trade a certain amount of one for a certain amount of the other. If either of us doesn't like the exchange rate, we can just walk away and do business with someone else. I'm taking delivery of a new special order Porsche on Monday. I made an offer to the dealer and we agreed on a bit better than 9% off MSRP. I didn't see him crying or complaining that he wouldn't be able to pay the rent this month. The word "deserve" did not enter into our conversation.

Hint: Venezuela and Cuba, (where people are given what they deserve) are not exactly hot markets for Porsche and it ain't because of the pot holes.

Last edited by Mozella55; 01-01-2021 at 11:32 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mozella55:
Finlander (01-10-2021), Lighthouserocket (01-27-2021), Russian Mafia (01-02-2021)
Old 01-01-2021 | 11:39 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tgcrun
Whenever I leased a car, I'd negotiate my best price and refuse to pay anything above the base money factor. If you have top tier credit, you should do the same. It sounds like your dealer giveth then taketh away.
If you are leasing a car, you have already given up your best deal. You are paying not only the cost of money (financing) but scheduled depreciation. And you are paying sales tax on the whole portion of the vehicle (as well as personal property taxes if your state has that) rather than the portion you are using. Leasing is absolutely the worst way to get into a car from a financial perspective.
Old 01-02-2021 | 01:55 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drcollie
Allocations on Targas are so scarce, the dealers in the Wash DC will tell you full MSRP on them AND you will wait 10 to 13 months to get one. I just bought a highly optioned C2S Cab 2021 Manual Trans yesterday, there are none around. Dealer said full MSRP for the first hour we were there, then came off $ 4,870 on a $ 159,340 sticker. Not much of a deal, but there are none of these cars around so its a sellers market right now.
Looks to be approx 3% off not bad and on even a cab probably normal/average from what most are reporting here. Would expect much less on a Targa given current allocations avail and inventory to dealers. Maybe will open up a lil more by Spring 2021?
Old 01-02-2021 | 09:39 AM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by drcollie
If you are leasing a car, you have already given up your best deal. You are paying not only the cost of money (financing) but scheduled depreciation. And you are paying sales tax on the whole portion of the vehicle (as well as personal property taxes if your state has that) rather than the portion you are using. Leasing is absolutely the worst way to get into a car from a financial perspective.
Not quite true as it is all about the numbers...back in the day I used to lease my BMWs because their residuals were hugely subsidized and with multiple security deposits it was possible to get the MF well below 1%...also taxation varies by state, most states just tax the lease payment. So running numbers could show the total cost of leasing much less then cost of owning...especially if putting 15K+ annual miles on car where used value tanks.
The following users liked this post:
mikey94025 (01-02-2021)

Quick Reply: Discounts on 2021 orders