Sponsored by:

Heat-shield like sound at low rpm

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 06:30 PM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Heat-shield like sound at low rpm

Since new (1200 miles so far) my 992S with RAS and PDCC has made a rattling sound when I attempt to slowly accelerate between 1K and 2K rpm. It’s faint to the point of almost feeling it more than hearing it, doesn’t happen all the time, and *sometimes* I can hear it when I coast slightly bumpy in a parking lot at low speeds. I say RAS and PDCC in case this is something that I should suspect or perhaps more equipment under there makes more noise.

Took it to the dealer and they claim they adjusted a heat shield, but that did not work. They also claim they found “pebbles in the bumper cover” (sounded like they were trying to placate me).

Yes, I can eliminate it if I just put it in sports mode, or keep rpms above 2K, but stoplights/traffic, while bearable, are like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Anyone else? Pointers? The car is perfectly functional - but this is taking away some of my fun for my first 911.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:39 PM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mferris
Since new (1200 miles so far) my 992S with RAS and PDCC has made a rattling sound when I attempt to slowly accelerate between 1K and 2K rpm. It’s faint to the point of almost feeling it more than hearing it, doesn’t happen all the time, and *sometimes* I can hear it when I coast slightly bumpy in a parking lot at low speeds. I say RAS and PDCC in case this is something that I should suspect or perhaps more equipment under there makes more noise.

Took it to the dealer and they claim they adjusted a heat shield, but that did not work. They also claim they found “pebbles in the bumper cover” (sounded like they were trying to placate me).

Yes, I can eliminate it if I just put it in sports mode, or keep rpms above 2K, but stoplights/traffic, while bearable, are like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Anyone else? Pointers? The car is perfectly functional - but this is taking away some of my fun for my first 911.
yes. I have this. It’s quite dependable now at 3000 km.

Like you my instinct was exhaust on heatshield but I’m wondering if it could be catalytic converters or particle filter rattling inside the pipe. It happens at low revs as you describe up to about 50kph.

Car goes in on 23 March. Will keep you posted.

Please post details of how you get on:
Old 03-14-2020, 07:56 PM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm 400 miles into my 992 C2S now, and I have heard this chirping/rattling sound that almost sounds like the turbos at low RPM's 1K-2K... At first I thought nothing of it and that it's just the turbos, but now it's really driving me insane to the point where I come home after driving and I can hear that specific sound ringing in my ears still. Not sure what the cause is as it's my first Porsche. I was waiting for someone to post about it, as I wasn't able to find anything that quite describes what I'm hearing. My car is gone for a week getting PPF but I plan on taking it in once I get it back.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:18 PM
SDK Autos
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 34 Posts

I have the same thing in my 4S up until around 2,000rpm. Didn't have it in my 991.2 GTS but the 992 feels much stiffer in the rear end, I assumed it might have something to do with the new engine mounts but it could be anything really, like you say, heatshield or something similar.

I trust Porsche quality control, I assume it's not a problem but a by product of the design. There has to be some small compromise when you're making the world's finest performance machine.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:58 PM
jperlinsky
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by crimewave
I'm 400 miles into my 992 C2S now, and I have heard this chirping/rattling sound that almost sounds like the turbos at low RPM's 1K-2K... At first I thought nothing of it and that it's just the turbos, but now it's really driving me insane to the point where I come home after driving and I can hear that specific sound ringing in my ears still. Not sure what the cause is as it's my first Porsche. I was waiting for someone to post about it, as I wasn't able to find anything that quite describes what I'm hearing. My car is gone for a week getting PPF but I plan on taking it in once I get it back.
Yes, exactly this. I'd love to know what this is.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:09 PM
coolhandshin
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 33 Posts

does this only apply to cars with RAS and PDCC?
Old 03-14-2020, 10:16 PM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Thank goodness it’s not just me hearing things.

No idea if it’s related to the PDCC/RAS - but frankly the concept that it might be turbos or cats or even active engine mounts sounds more reasonable. I *think* I’ve heard it over low speed bumps in parking lots. At times when I slow to a near stop - I heard some rattling as well - but those may be phantom issues.

It grates on my nerves horribly though. Like a resonance at low rpms that shouldn’t be there.

@JHesketh please let us know what you get after the 23rd. My dealer left my service ticket open since they could not fine anything (real).

Old 03-14-2020, 10:42 PM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

It's not like a drone, it's this weird eerie "chirping" sound is how I can best describe it. It cannot be RAS because I do not have it on my car.

While I was doing some research, I came across this thread relating to Macans and people having a similar problem! Interesting read and I think this is the same issue that our cars have:

https://www.macanforum.com/threads/w...eration.99362/
Old 03-14-2020, 10:44 PM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

People are saying it's a rear subframe bushing problem in the Macan and once it is fixed the sound goes away completely.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:46 PM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

Another user said that their service advisor ordered a replacement downpipe, and upon replacing it the sound went away (did not replace the rear subframe bushing as the downpipe fixed the problem in the first go)
Old 03-14-2020, 11:17 PM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

Mine has turbo wastegate rattle at idle if you stand behind the car. This is not detrimental in any way and can’t be heard inside the car with the windows up. Some could describe this as sounding a bit like pebbles in a can.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:29 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Sounds to me like we are discussing several discreet things.

My sound is a metallic rattle that is linked to engine speed. It sounds to me like the exhaust tapping on a heatshield - it’s metal on metal sheeting.

Some of you are discussing a ‘chirping’ sound that I imagine to be more like rubber squeaking. Moving pipe work or engine mounts sound plausible but I’m no expert.

My car makes another sound like a small yapping dog (could be described as a chirping sound) when you the car shifts up after hard acceleration from low speed. I attribute this to turbo wastegates dealing with over pressure. I don’t believe this is the sound you guys are discussing but thought I would check with you.

Then there the ‘wastegate rattle at idle’. I do get a ticking sound (could be described as a rattle) at idle and with application of some revs but it’s the fuel valves that I believe to be a feature of 911 engines. I would not expect wastegates to be doing anything without turbos spinning. Is it possible you’re noticing the same sound?

I will of course post as soon as get any concrete info from the service team.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:41 AM
mferris
Rennlist Member

The sound that is annoying me is much more of a metal on metal like sound and does feel like a resonance induced noise.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:00 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Disappointing news from my service guy:

’cant reproduce the issue...’

The real issue I suspect is that they are operating a skeleton crew because of the COVID19 lockdown. The answer is a joint test drive but that is not possible in these times.

They did find a problem with steering wheel heating and have ordered a replacement wheel.

They have updated software and claim comfort access is now working 100% of the time. I still think it’s a triumph of technology over need.

i will arrange a joint test drive after this disease has been tamed, at which point I will report back on what they find.

Stay healthy.

Last edited by JHesketh; 03-28-2020 at 11:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
992Sam (05-12-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 06:19 AM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I will give it a few months on the sound and try again as well.

on your steering wheel - my heated GT wheel is barely noticeable with any heat. Was that your symptom? My dealer claimed they don’t produce much heat.

Quick Reply: Heat-shield like sound at low rpm