Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat-shield like sound at low rpm

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 01:04 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 134 Posts

Update. Met with the zone guy today and took an extensive drive with each of us in the driver's seat. Was able to reproduce the noise/vibration. While he admits he is not THE technical person for this area he agrees there's something there and could be associated with the turbo valving. With no 992's available to compare, we were handicapped. He will be getting his corporate 992 in a couple of weeks and will compare it to what he experienced with my car. He is also going to discuss with Porsche tech folks. We exchanged info and we will meet again on his next visit here to drive his car and mine back to back. Moving in the right direction now, I think.
Anyone else have news on this issue??
The following users liked this post:
JHesketh (11-07-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 01:45 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

I have that harmonic like rattle/hum between 1500-2000rpm in normal mode with some light throttle load.

Here is the harmonic like rattle. Starts at 10 seconds.
I also have this clicking like noise once I give it gas. It almost sounds like a stick tapping bike spokes as the wheel spins. Once I let off throttle, no ticking. No ticking at idle. But the second I give any amount of throttle I hear ticking to a point before the exhaust noise takes over.

Last edited by BIGWORM; 11-04-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:16 PM
ChalkThe911
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts

So, not sure if we are all on the same page. I don't hear a rattle, but I hear weird whinning noise, like a loose fan belt sound when under load and especially at low speeds when the exhaust isn't loud. It's super annoying. I asked a few people at my dealer if that is normal and they all said yes, the 911 just sounds janky and always have sounded janky. but it's annoying the F outta me. I like to listen to my exhaust with my windows down and once you hear that "belt whine" or whatever weird noise (someone said like a old internet telephone) it's annoying and you can't stop hearing it.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about? you can kind of hear it in this video when he puts it in gear and starts to drive. Not the best video. But I hope someone knows what I'm talking about. It's a constant whine, and I know what lifters and turbos sound like. it's more like a "belt sound".

Last edited by ChalkThe911; 11-04-2020 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 03:19 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
I have that harmonic like rattle/hum between 1500-2000rpm in normal mode with some light throttle load.

Here is the harmonic like rattle. Starts at 10 seconds.
https://youtu.be/fbydC9WN2wg
I also have this clicking like noise once I give it gas. It almost sounds like a stick tapping bike spokes as the wheel spins. Once I let off throttle, no ticking. No ticking at idle. But the second I give any amount of throttle I hear ticking to a point before the exhaust noise takes over.
That's what I got.
Old 11-04-2020, 03:24 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChalkThe911
So, not sure if we are all on the same page. I don't hear a rattle, but I hear weird whinning noise, like a loose fan belt sound when under load and especially at low speeds when the exhaust isn't loud. It's super annoying. I asked a few people at my dealer if that is normal and they all said yes, the 911 just sounds janky and always have sounded janky. but it's annoying the F outta me. I like to listen to my exhaust with my windows down and once you hear that "belt whine" or whatever weird noise (someone said like a old internet telephone) it's annoying and you can't stop hearing it.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about? you can kind of hear it in this video when he puts it in gear and starts to drive. Not the best video. But I hope someone knows what I'm talking about. It's a constant whine, and I know what lifters and turbos sound like. it's more like a "belt sound".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9baReycZvM
Sounds normal to me on the video.
Old 11-04-2020, 03:40 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by eagle1960
That's what I got.
Mine goes in tomorrow for that. Ugh. If I find out what it is before you, I will report back.
Old 11-04-2020, 05:01 PM
ChalkThe911
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by eagle1960
Sounds normal to me on the video.
Haha, ok. So Janky 911 engine it is!

I'm going in for my engine mounts (3rd time) in a week so I'll ask them again just in-case.
Old 11-04-2020, 05:16 PM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 147 Posts

Whatever it is, hopefully a) I don’t get it on the new COVID car when it arrives and b) it can’t be stranger than the chocolate foil covered footballs I found in the air box of a bmw once “must have been a mouse through the front grill....” they didn’t fit through the front grill... idiot!!
Old 11-06-2020, 01:04 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Took mine to Irvine Porsche. What a JOKE they are. I'll never go their again. Ever!

First I was 30 mins early (I thought it was at 8, they had 830) and the guy acts like I ruined his morning breakfast or something. I have a door rattle and two odd rear sounds. One of them is the exhaust harmonic like vibration between 1500-2000rpm and another is this constant clicking noise at low speed. So I play some music and the door is rattling and hes acting like he hears nothing? Im like wtf... the rattle is clear as day! Already not off to a good start.

So then I take him for a ride with me to hear the vibration like sound from the exhaust and the clicking noise. I show him my video of the exhaust rattle as well and he acts like he hears nothing. Even when driving around. He try's to tell me the noises are normal. I explain that Ive had two of these 992's in two months (and two 991.2's before them) and my last one(s) didn't make any noises like this. I could tell he wasn't going to be helpful so I pulled back into the dealer lot and told him to get out of my car. Straight up... gtfo.

This is my 2nd 992 in two months and both have had problems. I am loosing my faith in Porsche quality. Ugh.

Last edited by BIGWORM; 11-06-2020 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:23 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Took mine to Irvine Porsche. What a JOKE they are. I'll never go their again. Ever!

First I was 30 mins early (I thought it was at 8, they had 830) and the guy acts like I ruined his morning breakfast or something. I have a door rattle and two odd rear sounds. One of them is the exhaust harmonic like vibration between 1500-2000rpm and another is this constant clicking noise at low speed. So I play some music and the door is rattling and hes acting like he hears nothing? Im like wtf... the rattle is clear as day! Already not off to a good start.

So then I take him for a ride with me to hear the vibration like sound from the exhaust and the clicking noise. I show him my video of the exhaust rattle as well and he acts like he hears nothing. Even when driving around. He try's to tell me the noises are normal. I explain that Ive had two of these 992's in two months (and two 991.2's before them) and my last one(s) didn't make any noises like this. I could tell he wasn't going to be helpful so I pulled back into the dealer lot and told him to get out of my car. Straight up... gtfo.

This is my 2nd 992 in two months and both have had problems. I am loosing my faith in Porsche quality. Ugh.
I’d definitely look into another dealer. I recently took mine on a long drive to Tahoe & back. I haven’t experienced one rattle/squeak/whine at any time during the rev range. So it’s worth having it investigated elsewhere. GL
BIGWORM (11-06-2020)
Old 11-06-2020, 02:03 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Interesting - I had a similar experience there. I've sent you a PM if that's OK.
Old 11-06-2020, 02:45 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by aggie57
Interesting - I had a similar experience there. I've sent you a PM if that's OK.
They are a joke. Both Newport and Irvine are the worse dealers I have ever dealt with. Both owned by auto nation. I actually love Circle Porsche. A privately owned dealer. The only problem is the 45 min drive to them. And my experience with SD Porsche has been good so far. But again, another 45 min drive.
Old 11-06-2020, 03:01 PM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 147 Posts

They are a joke. Both Newport and Irvine are the worse dealers I have ever dealt with. Both owned by auto nation. I actually love Circle Porsche. A privately owned dealer. The only problem is the 45 min drive to them. And my experience with SD Porsche has been good so far. But again, another 45 min drive.
Any independent dealer seems to always try harder than a franchise imo and experience.

Very little experience of Porsche so far, but so far my local (east London) has a good team that stay on top of things sales wise.

Extensive BMW experience, independent near me, sales team are top notch, service also very good.
franchise BMW, service has been overall very good, sales... complete bunch of wide boy crooks that only once tried to sell me a car, turned up, dents in the doors, refused, they took over a week to refund my money (about £55k). They are taking the M5 off my hands before the 992 arrives, decent money too, so every cloud.....
Old 11-11-2020, 11:55 AM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Went to SD Porsche and they fixed my driver door rattle. They also addressed the exhaust vibration between 1500-2000 in normal mode saying others 992s on the lot did that as well. Since I never drive in normal, I dont hear it much anyhow. And he clicking noise I heard they also said is seems normal. They documented it all just in case it ends up being something else. But at least they took me seriously and looked.
dribar (11-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 12:15 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Went to SD Porsche and they fixed my driver door rattle. They also addressed the exhaust vibration between 1500-2000 in normal mode saying others 992s on the lot did that as well. Since I never drive in normal, I dont hear it much anyhow. And he clicking noise I heard they also said is seems normal. They documented it all just in case it ends up being something else. But at least they took me seriously and looked.
Thanks for the update.

Quick Reply: Heat-shield like sound at low rpm