Sponsored by:

Heat-shield like sound at low rpm

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 07:25 PM
3uros
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
Surprised you haven’t requested a buyback.
We are somewhat spoiled in the US in regards to consumer purchase protection laws. It is quite an uphill battle in Europe to get anything near a lemon buy back like we have in the US. A colleague of mine in Germany had an F34 4er that caught fire at around 3.5 years old....nothing from BMW. Not even a lawsuit. Insurance took care of it and that was it. In the US, the laws here would have allowed all sorts of legal repercussions for BMW.
Old 11-06-2021, 06:31 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 134 Posts

After almost 2 years of dealing with the "heat shield like" sound that 2 dealers and a zone rep agreed was there, but Porsche's technical folks refused to look at or aknowledge was a problem, I have gotten a solution for me at least. Based on my research and disussions with several car guys, the conclusion was this was most likely exhaust system drone. My approach was to install a SOUL valved exhaust this weekend. The strange irritating noise under load at 1500-1700 rpm is now gone.
YMMV, but if you have this issue and it bugs you like it did me, switching to an aftermarket system should do the trick plus give you a great sounding exhaust system!!
The following users liked this post:
tourenwagen (04-13-2023)
Old 11-07-2021, 01:56 AM
lemonorlime
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

I have the same problem, but no RAS/PDCC. I described it here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1269...le-i-hear.html
Old 11-07-2021, 08:10 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by eagle1960
After almost 2 years of dealing with the "heat shield like" sound that 2 dealers and a zone rep agreed was there, but Porsche's technical folks refused to look at or aknowledge was a problem, I have gotten a solution for me at least. Based on my research and disussions with several car guys, the conclusion was this was most likely exhaust system drone. My approach was to install a SOUL valved exhaust this weekend. The strange irritating noise under load at 1500-1700 rpm is now gone.
YMMV, but if you have this issue and it bugs you like it did me, switching to an aftermarket system should do the trick plus give you a great sounding exhaust system!!
Ha! We’ll I am delighted for you. I have to say that from the outset, I thought the knocking was an exhaust vs heat shield problem.

As for my car…

Porsche replaced the engine but I learned they replaced it with a ‘refurbished’ unit. It has not cured the rattle. You may recall that this was the second crate engine, the first arrived with a broken pipe that prevented fitting. I have to say that it does not fill me with confidence that the ‘refurbishment’ process is dependable. Nor can anyone tell me whether this was refurbished because of a small issue noticed during initial line assembly or refurbished following a season racing.

I approached my dealer to investigate some sort of exchange. I have to say that the process was polite but fruitless. They offered me an additional CHF10k on trade-in against a new car. In other words I have to pay CHF50k to get the car that should have been delivered in the first place.

i then approached Porsche Switzerland to see if they could support their dealer in some sort of exchange since the problems (steering wheel, C pillar covers, transmission, engine, knocking) were all there on delivery. Porsche Switzerland was downright rude - initially they treated me like and idiot, offering bland reassurances that Porsche technicians knew what they were doing, then they just ignored me.

I have to say that I am impressed with just how client agnostic this outfit is. They must have way more customers than cars because I am not getting so much as an unequivocal apology for two years of delay and aggro.

I am left with the usual two insights:
(1) don’t buy at the start of a new car cycle. (I must stop doing this 😂.)
(2) if a manufacturer/importer/dealer won’t back up its car then don’t buy from them again. (At least I don’t do this.)

and a third one:
(3) don’t buy a Porsche in Switzerland.

So, I am pleased to say that I am looking at new cars again (always fun). Not so happy to say that I am getting punished on trade-in because the dealers are unsure of the value of a car with a non-original engine and my service log has a big sticker in it declaring the fact as if it were a value adding feature, but I am not giving any more money to Porsche CH. I’d rather take the trade-in hit and find an outfit that is trustworthy.

Last edited by JHesketh; 11-07-2021 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-13-2023, 07:44 AM
av12345
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
I think we have two different issues being discussed. Their is low hum sound between 1500-1800 that to me is the engine lugging for a second which causes the exhaust to hum drone/ rattle. And then we have the spinning freewheel cricket sound which is similar to stick being dragged along a fence or bmx bike spokes.
Coming back to this two years later because I seem to be having similar issues in my GT3 - did you ever get your issues resolved @BIGWORM ?
Old 04-13-2023, 08:24 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by av12345
Coming back to this two years later because I seem to be having similar issues in my GT3 - did you ever get your issues resolved @BIGWORM ?
Meh! Not really. They replaced the engine and the gearbox, and I suspect that in the process they re-sited the exhaust a little better. As a result, the bogged down rattle is less frequent but it still happens. The gearbox still panics every now and then too, which is always exciting! Solution seems to be to keep the revs up to avoid the bogging. Manual mode also operates reliably.

On the whole, an entirely disappointing ownership experience in my eyes. Never had anything like this with the 991 or 997 series, or any other car actually. I still have the car, although it will be gone by August when I move Stateside. My long term reflection is that for mere mortals - as distinct from the racing gods - peak 911 for build quality and performance was the 991 series.

I'll not buy another new Porsche now. I believe they are overextending their profit margin and shortchanging their sports car customers. Too much plastic. Too many reliability issues. Much like Mercedes in the early 2000s. I have however taken a sizeable shareholding in the recently floated company. I feel confident that that will prove out.
Old 04-14-2023, 04:03 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by av12345
I did. I asked them to buy it back and they did. Both of my 2020 992's where buy backs. So I went back to BMW and purchased a G80 M3 comp X drive. Its ugly. But its a very very nice daily driver. I do miss owning a 911 though.

Quick Reply: Heat-shield like sound at low rpm