Sponsored by:

Heat-shield like sound at low rpm

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 06:58 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mferris
Took mine in for service and the dealer confirmed they can hear it. We then reproduced it on another c2s off the lot but it was more muted. The dealer claimed it might be exhaust or turbo sounds and offered to keep the car and attempt to disassemble in an exploratory search. Given that it was also present on the other car I decided to keep my car intact and deal with it for now and hope that Porsche finds and issues a recall. For now I will just consider this a slightly annoying part of the 992 character like the HomeLink interface.

For me it is definitely not an intrinsic turbo or exhaust sound (ie not something rattling within a component). What I do think is that at a particular engine speed, some component is vibrating, and that it comes into contact with a heat shield or something similar (eg an exhaust pipe against a heat shield or a gear box against part of the chassis). I feel strongly that it is a ‘contact’ rattle.

Old 06-27-2020, 09:42 AM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by JHesketh
For me it is definitely not an intrinsic turbo or exhaust sound (ie not something rattling within a component). What I do think is that at a particular engine speed, some component is vibrating, and that it comes into contact with a heat shield or something similar (eg an exhaust pipe against a heat shield or a gear box against part of the chassis). I feel strongly that it is a ‘contact’ rattle.
I agree a contact rattle is a possibility, but I also think it's possible it's a resonant noise from a panel or heat shield. I have noticed that the noise seems more muted if I have a passenger. Can't figure out that one, but it makes it more difficult to demo. I hope to do my own look see late next week.
The following users liked this post:
JHesketh (06-27-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 03:46 PM
JHesketh
Racer

Originally Posted by eagle1960
I agree a contact rattle is a possibility, but I also think it's possible it's a resonant noise from a panel or heat shield. I have noticed that the noise seems more muted if I have a passenger. Can't figure out that one, but it makes it more difficult to demo. I hope to do my own look see late next week.
keep us posted. Mine goes in soon to get a replacement steering wheel and to investigate the rattle again. I will report back too.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:37 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Short update:

(1) Dealer finally reproduced the sound 🙌.

For me, it is dependable once the car is warm. Slow down so revs drop just below 1400, lightly accelerate to keep car rolling, and voila, a resonance that turns into a rattle.

(2) Dealer‘s loaner 992 C2S suffers the same ‘feature’ but the sound is not as pronounced and the rev threshold is not quite the same.

(3) Engineer thinks that’s this is a flywheel balancing problem. They are in consultation with Stuttgart. I will update here as things develop.
rouxeny (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 05:30 AM
rouxeny
Pro

Received 397 Likes on 195 Posts

Short update:

For me, it is dependable once the car is warm. Slow down so revs drop just below 1400, lightly accelerate to keep car rolling, and voila, a resonance that turns into a rattle.

(2) Dealer‘s loaner 992 C2S suffers the same ‘feature’ but the sound is not as pronounced and the rev threshold is not quite the same.

(3) Engineer thinks that’s this is a flywheel balancing problem. They are in consultation with Stuttgart. I will update here as things develop.

Good luck! Hope it gets sorted out for you.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:14 AM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 136 Posts

Short update:

@JHesketh please do keep us updated if solved.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:35 AM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Yes, please keep us updated. I could not get my dealer interested in pursuing it. Even the zone rep would not even look at the car even though I demonstrated the issue to both the sales folks and the service tech. My own inspection using my own lift didn't turn up anything likely loose and rattling.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:41 PM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 147 Posts

I know the sound, but not from 911s.
BMW, similar rpm on a 2012 M3. Only happens on the throttle, sound about right (this was 8 years ago, bear with me).
long story short, when the exhaust was warm and the metal expanded slightly, the baffles in the exhaust would vibrate under exhaust flow. Not cold, only when warmed up. Two replacement back boxes later, resolved!
My money is on something very similar, it needs a rolling road and sensor to pick up imo.
JHesketh (09-13-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 02:49 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

OK, so I have the same thing in my now-two-month-old C2S. Clear rattle at very low revs with reasonable throttle, and that chirping sound on light throttle across lower rev ranges. The chirping is most audible when passing through enclosed spaces like a parking garage. I've been debating whether to get it looked at but will call my dealer Monday to book it in.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:54 PM
JHesketh
Racer

Originally Posted by mrmichaelsankey
I know the sound, but not from 911s.
BMW, similar rpm on a 2012 M3. Only happens on the throttle, sound about right (this was 8 years ago, bear with me).
long story short, when the exhaust was warm and the metal expanded slightly, the baffles in the exhaust would vibrate under exhaust flow. Not cold, only when warmed up. Two replacement back boxes later, resolved!
My money is on something very similar, it needs a rolling road and sensor to pick up imo.
That sounds credible to me.

i will keep posting any progress here.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:52 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Met with my dealer's general sales mngr today and wheels now seem to be in motion for the regional guy to meet with me and the local technician so I can demonstrate the problem to him. Sales mngr rode with me today and heard what I am talking about. Will report back, probably in 3 or 4 weeks.
JHesketh (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 07:45 PM
ludwigsporsche
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Sounds like Porsche has successfully reproduced sounds present in most 911's since the very start
C4S, have had the same noise since the start when I got it earlier this year. I would have characterized it as a tin can with the lid partly opened and rattling just a little. The dealer tech took it out, acknowledged the sound, and said that all 991's seem to make that noise (not limited to the 992, at least based on what this tech said). It doesn't bother me tremendously, so just live with it - but would be great to have it sorted.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:53 AM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ludwigsporsche
C4S, have had the same noise since the start when I got it earlier this year. I would have characterized it as a tin can with the lid partly opened and rattling just a little. The dealer tech took it out, acknowledged the sound, and said that all 991's seem to make that noise (not limited to the 992, at least based on what this tech said). It doesn't bother me tremendously, so just live with it - but would be great to have it sorted.
That's the kind of answer you get when they don't know what it is or how to fix it. My 991 never made this noise/resonance and other 992's on the lot at the time didn't do it either.
JHesketh (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 10:00 AM
BudFox6
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 44 Posts

The 911 Heritage Squeak Package is a no cost option
The following 2 users liked this post by BudFox6:
aggie57 (09-17-2020), ChalkThe911 (11-04-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 10:13 AM
ludwigsporsche
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eagle1960
That's the kind of answer you get when they don't know what it is or how to fix it. My 991 never made this noise/resonance and other 992's on the lot at the time didn't do it either.
Spot on. Just had to make the choice between pushing it or just moving on with things. That is interesting about the other 992s though. I’ve got to go in for other things in the next short while - maybe I’ll ask again.

Quick Reply: Heat-shield like sound at low rpm