Sponsored by:

992.2 when is it coming

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 03:47 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 856 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
$10 gasoline can only come through the political system, not due to any technology issues with supply and demand. If you take the number of miles driven in the US each year, and divide that by how many kwH of electricity EVs would need to travel those miles, the US would have to commission a new electric plant every 3 weeks to meet that demand. It's not going to happen. The EV adoption rate will have a very short peak, likely peaking as long with the new $10K subsidy in place. Once the realities of large scale fleet conversion begin to hit, it will tail off rapidly. Everything looks good now because the adoption rate, number of units being purchased, is very low. Battery technology isn't there yet, needs an order of magnitude improvement, and at some point someone will realize that the generation capacity for all the electricity needed to charge them, isn't coming.
Can private solar make up for the growth in demand for electricity? Many in my neighborhood power their cars that way. As far as obsolescence, if you look at prices and demand for early generation hybrid Cayennes, they’re very much sought after despite current models offering better, more advanced battery power. On the one hand there may not be near the population of older Cayenne hybrids as will be the case for future EV models, and hybrids aren’t the same concept as pure EVs, but if the population is large there will likely be improved future batteries designed to integrate into the space that exists for the large, heavy batteries of today. Those aspects combined with unpredictable governmental impact would seem to make the future kind of difficult to predict.
The following users liked this post:
Btbossman (08-28-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 05:35 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Regardless of how, ICE cars as we’ve known for over 100 years will disappear in the next 10-20 years. Whether gas prices are artificially inflated or other mechanisms are used governments will stop manufacturers selling them, just like they forced the industry to clean up engines on the 70’s and afterwards, and how they progressively made a range of safety measures mandatory.
detansinn (05-30-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 06:11 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,822 Likes on 989 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Regardless of how, ICE cars as we’ve known for over 100 years will disappear in the next 10-20 years. Whether gas prices are artificially inflated or other mechanisms are used governments will stop manufacturers selling them, just like they forced the industry to clean up engines on the 70’s and afterwards, and how they progressively made a range of safety measures mandatory.
I would take that bet. Twenty years is too short of a time period. ICE trucks are still selling in the millions per year and EV’s are extremely difficult for low income families to procure AND use reasonably. Even now, the EV take rate isn’t high at all (…about 1-2% of the overall market).
Schn3ll (08-28-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 10:56 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 917 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
Can private solar make up for the growth in demand for electricity? Many in my neighborhood power their cars that way. As far as obsolescence, if you look at prices and demand for early generation hybrid Cayennes, they’re very much sought after despite current models offering better, more advanced battery power. On the one hand there may not be near the population of older Cayenne hybrids as will be the case for future EV models, and hybrids aren’t the same concept as pure EVs, but if the population is large there will likely be improved future batteries designed to integrate into the space that exists for the large, heavy batteries of today. Those aspects combined with unpredictable governmental impact would seem to make the future kind of difficult to predict.
Not without a significant improvement in the efficiency of the solar cell, which has been stagnant for many years now, which is why solar panels are all commodity items made in China. To do anything with solar, you need a large battery string at your house to store the generated during the day, to charge your car overnight. Too many people live in places where that kind of infrastructure will never be supportable. In the US, people who live in apartments or town-home complexes - can't even get regular electricity outlets near the parking spots for their cars. EV owners are restricted today to only people who live in private homes, with upgraded electrical service. There is nothing wrong with EVs, there is simply a long way to go before widespread adoption of them can take place. The manufacturers abandoning ICE now, are going to be in for a rude awakening in 5 years.
The following 4 users liked this post by nyca:
Adr (06-03-2021), M3Inline6 (05-30-2021), Mt cowboy (08-23-2021), Schn3ll (08-28-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 03:56 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,076 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Not without a significant improvement in the efficiency of the solar cell, which has been stagnant for many years now, which is why solar panels are all commodity items made in China. To do anything with solar, you need a large battery string at your house to store the generated during the day, to charge your car overnight. Too many people live in places where that kind of infrastructure will never be supportable. In the US, people who live in apartments or town-home complexes - can't even get regular electricity outlets near the parking spots for their cars. EV owners are restricted today to only people who live in private homes, with upgraded electrical service. There is nothing wrong with EVs, there is simply a long way to go before widespread adoption of them can take place. The manufacturers abandoning ICE now, are going to be in for a rude awakening in 5 years.
My sentiments exactly. Soon the supply of EV's will far outweigh demand (just look at Porsche lots today - zero 911's, zero 718's and a boat load of Taycan's sitting there). I think manufacturers are going to have an "Oh Sh*t" moment when every lot has EV's but customers are wanting gas engines (even gas hybrids). I feel that manufacturers skipped a step by going straight to EV. I have owned 2 plug in hybrids and my wife still drives a Volt - it's the best of both worlds. She can get to work and back on a charge but we could also drive cross country with gas only. I think our average mpg since we got the car has been close to 200.

And I know friends who have had a real pain charging cars (non-tesla) on 3rd party charging networks. They just don't have enough stations, they are not always functioning, and then add 10x the number of cars and only double the charging stations then lets see what happens.

Relevant:

M3Inline6 (06-02-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 07:22 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 234 Posts

I own a 992.1 2020 Porsche that I think is the best Porsche that I have ever owned. It is my eight Porsche 911.

Name:  np3wGFV.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  145.3 KB

Name:  hEZ1ltQ.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  3.22 MB

I will certainly buy a 992.2 Porsche 911 which I think will be a 2025 model (made in 2024). Just my guess.

I have had a brief window noise in my last two cars at high speed. They couldn't fix it in the 991 so I didn't bother with the 992. It goes away when cracking open the window and then raising it.
My only issue with the 991 is the sound of the premium stereo which I solved by ordering the standard stereo (not great but ordinary).

I stay with Agate Grey Metallic:

Name:  oDdLCaH.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  101.6 KB

Mikster (08-23-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 08:30 PM
bcayes
7th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Horrible black touch buttons?
Old 06-02-2021, 09:26 PM
love_my_porsche
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Anyone think GTS will arrive before 992.2?
There's been plenty of sightings of pre-release 992 GTS's, I assumed we'd be seeing them Q4 2021 or Q1 2022? Or am I completely offbase?
​​​​​​​
Old 08-12-2021, 09:52 AM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

992.2 and anything about is pure internet speculation at this time.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:54 AM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by love_my_porsche
There's been plenty of sightings of pre-release 992 GTS's, I assumed we'd be seeing them Q4 2021 or Q1 2022? Or am I completely offbase?
That is what I have been told. It is possible I will get mine before EOY 2021, but allocations have not been announced in the US yet. Probably will get an allocation in September.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:25 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,134 Likes on 3,006 Posts

Given the environment and incredible demand, I wouldn’t expect a 992.2 anytime soon. The pandemic has been interesting in terms of its impact to the product refresh cycle. New 992s are being delivered with one keyfob and manual steering adjustments. Heck, the Macan got a surprise .3 refresh.
Old 08-12-2021, 11:16 AM
rewardforsuccess
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts

.2 is very soon. Like it will be announced right after the GTS hits show rooms, then a year later it will exist. Do you really think this "plandemic" will alter Porsche's time-honored launch schedules? Don't be naive.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:35 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,270 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by rewardforsuccess
.2 is very soon. Like it will be announced right after the GTS hits show rooms, then a year later it will exist. Do you really think this "plandemic" will alter Porsche's time-honored launch schedules? Don't be naive.
ummmm... its not naïve... design/production/engineering costs for a new model line are planned and amortized over an approximate number of cars produced, not a certain number of years. Yes its normally based on a planned production/year schedule but if supply chain issues have kept production numbers down and demand for the car is still up they won't switch over until they've hit production/sales goals to justify and cover the upfront costs. If demand was falling off and they couldn't move the 992.1 cars they may switch over to keep the line fresh. Dealers have no inventory and are selling basic 911s for over msrp. Currently zero need to refresh the line and eat the additional costs.

So feel free to come back to this post if the .2 actually gets announced soon. my guess is we still haven't seen a .2 announcement this time next year.
The following 2 users liked this post by slc4s:
Captain P (08-23-2021), Mt cowboy (08-23-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 01:38 AM
savethemanual
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I hope they change the third brake light when the 992.2 comes out. IMO, the horizontal one on the 992.1 GT3 touring looks so much better than the vertical light on the Carrera models. The 991.2’s third brake light was ok too. Hopefully they’ll adopt a horizontal light for the 992.2.

Last edited by savethemanual; 08-23-2021 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-23-2021, 04:35 PM
SRD1281
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by love_my_porsche
GTS should be available by early 2022. Years before the 992.2.

Quick Reply: 992.2 when is it coming