Sponsored by:

Battery Charging Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 04:44 PM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Battery Charging Issue

My 992 has the lithium battery so I got a new charger given to me by my Porsche dealer. I am interested in knowing if any of you are having the same issue that I am since I put my car up for the winter.

The charger starts charging fine then after a random period between a few hours and a week it will stop charging until I power up the car and I am assuming the power port in the footwell where the charger is plugged in. Has anybody else run into this? Is there a simple fix without taking the car to the dealer? For now it seems like I will have to reset it every week or so to keep the battery charged.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
The following users liked this post:
Sully819 (01-20-2022)
Old 12-26-2019, 04:50 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Michigan 992
My 992 has the lithium battery so I got a new charger given to me by my Porsche dealer. I am interested in knowing if any of you are having the same issue that I am since I put my car up for the winter.

The charger starts charging fine then after a random period between a few hours and a week it will stop charging until I power up the car and I am assuming the power port in the footwell where the charger is plugged in. Has anybody else run into this? Is there a simple fix without taking the car to the dealer? For now it seems like I will have to reset it every week or so to keep the battery charged.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Hopefully, they gave you a charger designed for Lithium Ion batteries (different voltage and charging protocol). Secondly, yes, the charging ports sometimes time out. I prefer to connect the charger directly to the battery (can hardwire pigtails to the battery terminals with a connector that connects to the charger) - requires lifting the frunk to connect. You'll find threads about this on the 991 board.
Old 12-26-2019, 04:54 PM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

Yes it is the charger which has a lithium selection option. I did not see an easy way to route wires out from under the battery cover and assumed Porsche made the power port and charger fully compatible with each other.

If somebody has pictures of how they routed the wires in their 992 it would be much appreciated. Seems like there is more clearance in my friends 991’s around the cover in the drunk.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:12 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

I've searched for a definitive answer as to whether or not the under dash socket allows long term charging or not and have read: absolutely not, only if the car is locked, only if you have the smoking pkg, and always allows charging... Since the Porsche accessory charger includes a plug you would think it would be compatible!
I personally plan on hard wiring to the battery which is easy and definitely the preferred connection method.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:21 PM
1RedHead
Racer

Received 289 Likes on 132 Posts

Yes it is the charger which has a lithium selection option. I did not see an easy way to route wires out from under the battery cover and assumed Porsche made the power port and charger fully compatible with each other.

If somebody has pictures of how they routed the wires in their 992 it would be much appreciated. Seems like there is more clearance in my friends 991’s around the cover in the drunk.

Routed the pig-tail through the vents as the leads are not long enough to bring out the sides of the cover. Still can raise the cover enough and sit it back on the windshield as necessary.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:44 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts

I have a related question so not a total thread hijack. All the lithium booster packs I can find (including my NOCO GB70) are for lead acid batteries only. What would one use to jump start a Porsche Lithium battery?
Old 12-26-2019, 09:37 PM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

1 RedHead thank you
Old 12-27-2019, 05:01 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 108 Posts

I’ll post a picture when I am home but I asked my dealer to put in the direct to battery lead like 1redhead.

The dealer routed it out through the utility box (for tyre repair kit) to the right of the frunk as you look at the car so it’s all squared away when the car is not charging.

am also using the Porsche charger with Li Ion capability which I believe is a rebadged CTEK unit.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:27 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

i am very interested in this topic as i will be storing my 992 for 6 months a year, unattended. i had planned to use the port inside the passenger footwell, and didn't know i needed anything more than one of my smart chargers. if this is not possible, i'm in a pickle.

can someone confirm that there is no solution to using the inside port, unattended (meaning, no weeekly intervention)? thank you
Old 12-27-2019, 01:10 PM
G650
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 101 Posts

On a related issue, does anybody have experience with the car’s ability to hold charge for a 3 -4 week period? I have a 992 C2S with Rear Axle Steering, which I’m told comes with the LiOn battery. I used to leave my previous M3, which had a NiCad battery, for similar periods and it was OK.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:29 PM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

My car is is of a similar configuration with RAS. After two weeks at 50 degrees stored unlocked the battery had a near full charge. 4 weeks is unlikely to be a challenge unless it is very cold
G650 (12-28-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 06:20 PM
mathus7
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

My car is is of a similar configuration with RAS. After two weeks at 50 degrees stored unlocked the battery had a near full charge. 4 weeks is unlikely to be a challenge unless it is very cold
Does locked or un-locked make a difference?
Old 12-27-2019, 06:23 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by mathus7
Does locked or un-locked make a difference?
I’m under the impression it can be connected under the dash, and once the car is locked. It will keep the charge.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:40 PM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

When the car is locked it powers a number of alarm/anti-theft features unless they are deselected. I seem to remember there is a way to do this in GTK. I don’t think they radically increase battery drain, but we have always stored cars unlocked that had these devices. The ones from one different German company had active motion detection running and that took a fair amount of battery power.

If if you don’t need the alarm where the car is being stored I would leave it turned off or not locked.
G650 (12-28-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 06:50 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,007 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
I have a related question so not a total thread hijack. All the lithium booster packs I can find (including my NOCO GB70) are for lead acid batteries only. What would one use to jump start a Porsche Lithium battery?
The general short answer here would be none...if a lithium battery is "over discharged" only an intelligent lithium charger like the CTEK JHesketh (yes you are correct in that it's just rebranded) mentioned should be used. If a lithium battery is jumped in an over discharged state the stock charging system on any vehicle is going to charge the battery too fast and ensure damage and in a worst case scenario could lead to thermal runaway....Now that being said there are some batteries like our automotive line that have protections built in which should prevent the battery from ever getting over discharged, as long as the residual charge is around say 11v or higher you should be okay jumping it...being that ours actually has built in wireless jump starting this is something you would never need to worry about.

Another advantage with a lithium battery is that it has an extremely much slower discharge rate then the lead/acid counterpart so provided there is minimal parasitic draw it should be able to sit for a much longer duration.

Please feel free to check out ours below.
https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...tive/ag-h6-rs/

The following 2 users liked this post by Antigravity:
G650 (12-28-2019), gcurnew (12-27-2019)

Quick Reply: Battery Charging Issue