Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Charging Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 10:53 AM
German1967
Pro

Received 597 Likes on 265 Posts

Plug & Play - when installing the pig tail.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:16 AM
K-Nut
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 200 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by German1967
Plug & Play - when installing the pig tail.
same as plug in foot well , plug and play
Old 01-24-2022, 11:25 AM
German1967
Pro

Received 597 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Nut
same as plug in foot well , plug and play
If you call following a pre-defined sequence of actions followed by a secret hand-shake and a prayer that it works "plug & play", sure...
The following users liked this post:
peterdouglas (01-24-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 11:48 AM
K-Nut
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by German1967
If you call following a pre-defined sequence of actions followed by a secret hand-shake and a prayer that it works "plug & play", sure...
on my
992 GT3 you have to follow all the above actions even if you connect to battery leads , it’s exactly what I am trying to explane , but everyone keep saying to connect to battery directly and car will not charge unless you turn ignition on , regardless where you connect charger directly or foot well
Old 01-25-2022, 03:29 AM
Joan Alcover
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 105 Posts

everyone keep saying to connect to battery directly and car will not charge unless you turn ignition on , regardless where you connect charger directly or foot well
Not my case: when using CTEK Lithium XS charger, just connect charger to battery (pigtail or not). No need to tamper with ignition.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:47 AM
K-Nut
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Joan Alcover
Not my case: when using CTEK Lithium XS charger, just connect charger to battery (pigtail or not). No need to tamper with ignition.
what car year and model?
Old 01-25-2022, 07:50 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

What year? And is yours an AGM or LiPo battery.

What we are trying to figure out is do any of the 2022 LiPo's need to have the ignition turned on then off if you have a pigtail.

I can confirm my 2020 with Lipo did not have any issues - just plug it in and it started to "charge"... I have not tried the pigtail on my 2022 Targa 4S with LiPo as of yet.

K-Nut above with his 2022 GT3 and LiPo is stating that it does not work (unless he does the ignition on/off step) even with a pigtail.

Question is - have they changed the 2022's in any way - or is it something with the GT3 or is something up with K-Nuts config that is causing it to work differently.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:16 AM
K-Nut
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace

What we are trying to figure out is do any of the 2022 LiPo's need to have the ignition turned on then off if you have a pigtail.

I can confirm my 2020 with Lipo did not have any issues - just plug it in and it started to "charge"... I have not tried the pigtail on my 2022 Targa 4S with LiPo as of yet.

K-Nut above with his 2022 GT3 and LiPo is stating that it does not work (unless he does the ignition on/off step) even with a pigtail.

Question is - have they changed the 2022's in any way - or is it something with the GT3 or is something up with K-Nuts config that is causing it to work differently.

this little wire is the only power source to the car when battery in a sleep mode, leads are off
mas you turn ignition on battery unlocked and ready to start .
i try direct to leads or plug to foot well multiple times and it do not work unless you connect charger with ignition on , again GT3 992 .
pick tail situation is not for me because my car under cover and much easier to run charge cord under the door vs over front bumper or fender to prevent scratches when putting car cover and since the car is on the lift it’s not easy to open hood , much easier open door .
bottom line is pick tail or foot wheel , ignition must be on when connecting charger (in my case )
Old 01-25-2022, 09:20 AM
Joan Alcover
Racer

what car year and model?
992 Turbo S ; 2021 (February) ; Lithium-ion battery.
No "ignition-on / ignition off" sequence necessary if using CTEK Lithium XS charger directly connected to battery
Sequence necessary when using Porsche Charge-O-Mat charger connected to footwell 12V plug.

Last edited by Joan Alcover; 01-25-2022 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:21 AM
Joan Alcover
Racer

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace

992 Turbo S February 2021 Lithium-ion battery.
No "ignition-on / ignition off" sequence necessary if using CTEK Lithium XS charger directly connected to battery
Sequence necessary when using Porsche Charge-O-Mat charger connected to footwell 12V plug.

Last edited by Joan Alcover; 01-25-2022 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:31 AM
Joan Alcover
Racer

Just a random thought: What battery do you have on your GT3? The standard 60Ah or the "lighter" 40Ah?

https://newsroom.porsche.com/dam/jcr...ress%20Kit.pdf

This sentence may be of interest:

"The now standard 60 Ah LiFePO4 starter battery alone saves more than 22 lbs compared with the previous 911 GT3. A 40 Ah variant is also available. This is a further 7.7 lbs lighter."
Could the latter behave differently than the former?

Having said that, my understanding of LiFeP04 batteries is summarized in this text:

Li-ion batteries contain a protection circuit that shields the battery against abuse. This important safeguard also turns the battery off and makes it unusable if over-discharged. Slipping into sleep mode can happen when storing a Li-ion pack in a discharged state for any length of time as self-discharge would gradually deplete the remaining charge. Depending on the manufacturer, the protection circuit of a Li-ion cuts off between 2.2 and 2.9V/cell.

Some battery chargers and analyzers, feature a wake-up feature or “boost” to reactivate and recharge batteries that have fallen asleep. Without this provision, a charger renders these batteries unserviceable and the packs would be discarded. Boost applies a small charge current to activate the protection circuit and if a correct cell voltage can be reached, the charger starts a normal charge.

So, if I connect my charger (CTEK Lithium XS) directly to my battery (60Ah version) that is not in sleep mode, and the charger is fully functional (and turned on), I do not see how the battery that is now charging could go into sleep mode (regardless of what I do with the ignition), unless .....
..... I am drawing more curent from the battery (lights on, door open, music at full blast) than what the charger is providing.

Neither do I see how an "ignition on / ignition off" sequence can have any impact on the charger, since any signal sent by "ignition on / ignition off" cannot tell the charger anything :
  • Such a signal can tell the battery something, I agree, but not the charger (CTEK Lithium XS), .... unless ....
  • ..... the Porsche Charge-O-Mat is designed in such a way that it assumes you are charging from the 12V footwell plug and, since you need to do the sequence to keep the plug "active /connected/open" more than 30 minutes, the charger is checking that you are doing the sequence.

BUT......

Then, why would Porsche offer (for a price, not free of charge) an accessory that allows you to connect the charger directly to the battery, without using the 12V footwell plug?
If you connect the Porsche charger directly to the battery, it should not need to check whether you connected it to the 12V footwell plug and whether you did the right sequence to keep this footwell plug active/connected/open.

https://www.getporscheparts.com/oem-...er-95804490175

The plot thickens, as some would say

But, for the modical amount of US$ 135, you can buy the truly plug-and-play solution:

https://smartercharger.com/collectio...tek-lithium-us

And for an extra US$ 7, the pigtail.

https://smartercharger.com/collectio...t-connect-m8-1

Last edited by Joan Alcover; 01-25-2022 at 10:16 AM.
K-Nut (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 09:42 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

992 Turbo S February 2021 Lithium-ion battery.
My experience using pigtail direct to battery with CTEK Li charger on same car.... is identical! Plug and play!

Old 01-29-2022, 05:02 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

Ok so as I posted above - I had the pigtail in my 2020 C4S (with LiPo as I had RWS) and no issues with charging - no sequence, etc.. Yesterday I got around to putting the pigtail direct to the battery on my 2022 Targa 4S (also with Lipo as it also has RWS).

I can confirm that the 2022 Lipo batteries work the same on the Carrera S/4S variations the same way as the 2020 did. Just plug it in and it starts to float charge. No sequence or anything. I used the Porsche Charge o mat on Friday until this morning, no issues. I did switch back to the Ctek (56-926 model) lithium charger (I used this on my other 992 as well) as if there is a power outage, once restored it will continue to charge. The Porsche Charge O Mat will not, as you have to reselect LiPo on the selection button.

Not sure why this won't work on the GT3 - seems like a huge hassle.

PS. The other cool thing on the Ctek (56-926 model) - if your battery were to go into sleep mode (when it gets to 10%), you can press and hold the reset, and it will allegedly allow it to be charged as it will trip the BMS and allow a charge. I have not tried it, but it is supposed to do this at least on some cars.
German1967 (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 08:34 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,797 Likes on 971 Posts

What's the consensus on the Schumacher batter charger/tender? I use one for my Ducati and it works great, but I haven't seen too much about the brand here on Rennlist.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:36 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,797 Likes on 971 Posts

What's the consensus here about Schumacher batter chargers/tenders? I have one hardwired on my Ducati V4's battery and it works flawlessly, but I haven't seen the brand mentioned much here on Rennlist.

Quick Reply: Battery Charging Issue