Sponsored by:

Battery Charging Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 11:10 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
The general short answer here would be none...if a lithium battery is "over discharged" only an intelligent lithium charger like the CTEK JHesketh (yes you are correct in that it's just rebranded) mentioned should be used. If a lithium battery is jumped in an over discharged state the stock charging system on any vehicle is going to charge the battery too fast and ensure damage and in a worst case scenario could lead to thermal runaway....Now that being said there are some batteries like our automotive line that have protections built in which should prevent the battery from ever getting over discharged, as long as the residual charge is around say 11v or higher you should be okay jumping it...being that ours actually has built in wireless jump starting this is something you would never need to worry about.

Another advantage with a lithium battery is that it has an extremely much slower discharge rate then the lead/acid counterpart so provided there is minimal parasitic draw it should be able to sit for a much longer duration.

Please feel free to check out ours below.
https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...tive/ag-h6-rs/
Good info, thanks. Presumably the wireless jump start couldn't be made to work with the OE Porsche lithium battery?
Old 12-28-2019, 07:25 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

does anyone happne to know if the typical smart "battery tender' (brand name) is acceptable for lithium batteries? secondly (i take delivery in a few wks), does porsche supply a battery tender/charger with the car? thanks
Old 12-28-2019, 07:27 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Originally Posted by JHesketh
I’ll post a picture when I am home but I asked my dealer to put in the direct to battery lead like 1redhead.

The dealer routed it out through the utility box (for tyre repair kit) to the right of the frunk as you look at the car so it’s all squared away when the car is not charging.

am also using the Porsche charger with Li Ion capability which I believe is a rebadged CTEK unit.
Originally Posted by gcurnew
Good info, thanks. Presumably the wireless jump start couldn't be made to work with the OE Porsche lithium battery?
Originally Posted by tcirillo
does anyone happne to know if the typical smart "battery tender' (brand name) is acceptable for lithium batteries? secondly (i take delivery in a few wks), does porsche supply a battery tender/charger with the car? thanks
just found this: "Here is the simple answer: A Battery Tender® can not measure State of Charge (SoC) of a lithium battery. It simply does not have this capability. While they work great on lead acid batteries, they are not able to accurately “read” lithium batteries. So, they will never properly charge a lightweight lithium battery.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:44 PM
G650
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Michigan 992
When the car is locked it powers a number of alarm/anti-theft features unless they are deselected. I seem to remember there is a way to do this in GTK. I don’t think they radically increase battery drain, but we have always stored cars unlocked that had these devices. The ones from one different German company had active motion detection running and that took a fair amount of battery power.

If if you don’t need the alarm where the car is being stored I would leave it turned off or not locked.
Thanks for this Info. I’m reluctant to leave the car unlocked, as it’s in a common area (But secured) garage. May consider disabling the alarm system when I leave on an extended trip. I do recall there being a way to do this.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:31 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Default does 992 come with a battery charger in the usa?

does porsche supply a battery tender/charger with the car?
Old 12-29-2019, 04:44 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 134 Posts

does porsche supply a battery tender/charger with the car?
No.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:12 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,007 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
A couple things with this is that a lot of the newer models will have jump start points or terminals as opposed to the battery directly being connected but the other more important thing to note on the Porsche lithium batteries is that I believe according to their instructions they state jump starting is not allowed on their battery. You may want to confirm this but always best to go by what their instructions/manual say when using their battery.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:05 PM
jcw0322
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened to me on my 2020 C2S with RAS late summer. Found out the car was totally dead and after only 10 days of no driving. Luckily the car was not locked so getting into it was easy. I got a lawn mower battery and used it to open the frunk. There is an emergency pin/terminal in the driver side fuse box as shown in owners manual for getting the frunk open in cases like this, Extending the pin for this and connecting the pin to positive, then negative to the door hinge got the open frunk button to work. . I then removed the plastic cover over the battery and jumped the car as per manual. I drove it for 30+ minutes. The car started fine after that. Ironically, I had a C-tek L-ion charger for the car had but never used since I was driving it somewhat regularly. On first attempt the C-tek charger would not connect and charge to the battery via the passenger foot well socket. So I went through many threads here and found that if I plugged in the charger to the foot well socket, STARTED the car and THEN plugged the charge into 110v outlet, it would recognize the charger and work. So 12+ hours later I had a fully charged battery all good according to the charger lights. A dealer check out of the battery gave it an OK. I have not had a problem since. Possibly I left something on, I don't know and didn't see anything. My previous 2014 C2S would regularly sit for about 5 weeks between starts when I was traveling often and it always started. That 2014 model had the OEM battery and was in it until the car went away in 2019.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:39 PM
user 64927802
Banned

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 1RedHead

Routed the pig-tail through the vents as the leads are not long enough to bring out the sides of the cover. Still can raise the cover enough and sit it back on the windshield as necessary.
This is a great idea
Old 06-22-2021, 12:09 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by jcw0322
Same thing happened to me on my 2020 C2S with RAS late summer. Found out the car was totally dead and after only 10 days of no driving. Luckily the car was not locked so getting into it was easy. I got a lawn mower battery and used it to open the frunk. There is an emergency pin/terminal in the driver side fuse box as shown in owners manual for getting the frunk open in cases like this, Extending the pin for this and connecting the pin to positive, then negative to the door hinge got the open frunk button to work. . I then removed the plastic cover over the battery and jumped the car as per manual. I drove it for 30+ minutes. The car started fine after that. Ironically, I had a C-tek L-ion charger for the car had but never used since I was driving it somewhat regularly. On first attempt the C-tek charger would not connect and charge to the battery via the passenger foot well socket. So I went through many threads here and found that if I plugged in the charger to the foot well socket, STARTED the car and THEN plugged the charge into 110v outlet, it would recognize the charger and work. So 12+ hours later I had a fully charged battery all good according to the charger lights. A dealer check out of the battery gave it an OK. I have not had a problem since. Possibly I left something on, I don't know and didn't see anything. My previous 2014 C2S would regularly sit for about 5 weeks between starts when I was traveling often and it always started. That 2014 model had the OEM battery and was in it until the car went away in 2019.

I realize this is an older thread, but recently decided to “trickle-charge” my 992. I have the RAS option on my car, so presume I have the Li battery (although have not verified). In any event, a few weeks ago I broke down and bought the battery tender at Porsche. It has the specific Li mode that you can select. So I followed their instructions, which were simple enough:

(1) Plug in the cigarette lighter plug (from the tender) into the outlet found in the passenger foot well. Close the passenger door and “lock the car” (interesting that the instructions tell you to “lock the door”? I assume because of not locked, there are measurable current drain with some (active) systems in the car...or for theft reasons? Very odd.

(2) Next plug in the tender to the AC outlet.

(3) tap the “mode” button until the Li mode is selected.

I noticed that the battery status indicator did not light up, so re-read their instructions, and found that since my car had not been started for more than 30 minutes prior to starting the trickle-charge, the power port in the footwell was deactivated...so, instructed to:

(4) Turn the ignition on and then off.

(5) Now the battery indicator is on, and it reads about half charged....which surprised me that it was that low?

I currently have about 750 miles on the car, over a period of about 45 days. I typically drive it every 2-3 days, for about 20-30 miles....so the car isn’t sitting in my garage for long periods of time. I also lock my car after driving.

After about an hour, it is still charging and still sitting at half charged, so it appears the cigarette socket has not timed out? One final note: The tender is warm to the touch. I can still hold it in my hands, but noticeably warm.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-22-2021 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:08 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

You had to turn on the ignition (accessories only) to power up the footwell socket after the car was off for a while. If your charger is still lighting up one of the LEDs for charge level after a half hour or so, then it's working. Congrats !

I could never find a way to get either of my Porsche branded charge-o-mat pro chargers to work with the footwell socket in my particular 992 (2021 TTS) - it would always shutdown in less than 30 mins (locked/unlocked/igition on for 5 minutes before locking/etc). The CTEK Lithium US charger has been working well for me, though.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:12 PM
Cornishman
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

As a data point, I just left my 992 (warm climate, no rear axle steering) for five weeks, locked, with no charger. It fired right up afterwards with the volt meter showing 14.5v
Old 01-13-2022, 09:56 PM
K-Nut
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 200 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Michigan 992
My 992 has the lithium battery so I got a new charger given to me by my Porsche dealer. I am interested in knowing if any of you are having the same issue that I am since I put my car up for the winter.

The charger starts charging fine then after a random period between a few hours and a week it will stop charging until I power up the car and I am assuming the power port in the footwell where the charger is plugged in. Has anybody else run into this? Is there a simple fix without taking the car to the dealer? For now it seems like I will have to reset it every week or so to keep the battery charged.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
same issue, connected charger directly to battery and it shoot down after full charge with only i blinking
charger is specific to lithium battery in my GT3
i assuming the charger shoots down after battery full
Old 01-14-2022, 07:09 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Nut
same issue, connected charger directly to battery and it shoot down after full charge with only i blinking
charger is specific to lithium battery in my GT3
i assuming the charger shoots down after battery full
There is a sequence you need to do to keep the 12V internal socket active:

Try this and it will stay active, and charger will continue to work and not shut down:

Procedure to keep 12v internal socket active:
Connect your charger to the 12v socket - Car ignition off, Charger NOT plugged into the wall. Make sure the cigarette adapter is well seeded, I push it in and spin it a bit to make sure it is connected well.
Charger connected to the 12v socket - Car ignition on, plug in (turn on) charger. (The car can be running or just powered on - I typically just turn the started one spot to activate the electronics.
Press mode to make sure you are on Lithium or whatever your car has (on the charge-o-mat from porsche hit mode 2 times for
lithium batteries)
Check lights on charger are on step 1/2/3 etc. It will likely be on step 2 for a while and then goes to step 3. Wait about 1 minute or so with your car power on and the charger plugged in.
Turn ignition off - Charger lights should still be lit. You are good to go and the 12v socket should now stay live.
Old 01-15-2022, 03:47 AM
Joan Alcover
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
There is a sequence you need to do to keep the 12V internal socket active:

Try this and it will stay active, and charger will continue to work and not shut down:

Procedure to keep 12v internal socket active:
Connect your charger to the 12v socket - Car ignition off, Charger NOT plugged into the wall. Make sure the cigarette adapter is well seeded, I push it in and spin it a bit to make sure it is connected well.
Charger connected to the 12v socket - Car ignition on, plug in (turn on) charger. (The car can be running or just powered on - I typically just turn the started one spot to activate the electronics.
Press mode to make sure you are on Lithium or whatever your car has (on the charge-o-mat from porsche hit mode 2 times for
lithium batteries)
Check lights on charger are on step 1/2/3 etc. It will likely be on step 2 for a while and then goes to step 3. Wait about 1 minute or so with your car power on and the charger plugged in.
Turn ignition off - Charger lights should still be lit. You are good to go and the 12v socket should now stay live.
Good to go only if you lock the car!

Quick Reply: Battery Charging Issue