Sponsored by:

Battery Charging Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 09:56 AM
Joan Alcover
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Nut
my car was sitting with out charging for a few day , probably this is what triggered battery sleep mode
Can you tell us how many days it sat without charging?
In my case, I have often left the TTS 3-4 weeks without charging and all was fine when I started it.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:42 AM
K-Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Joan Alcover
Can you tell us how many days it sat without charging?
In my case, I have often left the TTS 3-4 weeks without charging and all was fine when I started it.
the new battery on 992 GT3 is connected to ECU and at some point (I have no idea how long) it goes to sleep mode , could be couple days , could be few hours after last time ignition was in , when battery is in sleep mode you can not activate it by connecting charger directly to leads or foot well , only turning ignition on . This is the way it was in my situation, I could not charge battery directly thru leads or foot well outlet until I turn ignition on and connected to charger . I am talking about 2022 GT3 , other models my be different
Old 01-20-2022, 01:44 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,652 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace

On the LiPo - you need to connect both the power and ground directly to the battery.
Not to challenge you - as your posts are all very high quality - but there have been a bunch of posts that say not to do this. How do I figure out who is right?
Old 01-20-2022, 01:46 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Joan Alcover
The best answer to your question is "try it out"..
Actually, that might be the worst possible answer. And when di we add in the element of leaving the key near the car?
Old 01-20-2022, 05:07 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
Not to challenge you - as your posts are all very high quality - but there have been a bunch of posts that say not to do this. How do I figure out who is right?
Firstly, I am sure that others will have their opinion. But here is mine and started having LiPo batteries in 2013 which came in my Ferrari F12, so started to learn more about balance/float charging LiPo's - as that battery would only last 2-3 weeks max being off a charger, thus my first non AGM/Lead Acid battery in an sports car or exotic and nearly every one of my fun cars now have them and I follow the same logic (not that I am right, but here is what I have learned).

With that - there have been discussion on this for a few years (991 and 992 forums). Also, if you think back why car makers put the ground post (or people when jumping a car use the negative to a part of the frame). The reason is due to lead acid batteries produce gases, and if there is an arch those gases catch fire, lead acid battery then can explode (though this is rare, this has happened). Thus having a gap between positive and negative = no arching = no potential explosion...

Enter lipo - no gases emitted, can arch of course which would be bad for the battery. But when you are installing a pig tail (on a AGM/Lead Acid or lipo) you do not have power to it when connecting. Also once it is attached to both poles, you would not have any arching either - as both are solidly connected.

Some of the advanced LiPos also utilize the ground as part of the safety communication as well, and to fully have a fully looped communication and load balancing effect.

If you go to most manufactures (like Ctek) read the installation or hook up instructions, I do not know of any that do not say when permanently hooking up their chargers not to hook both positive and negative. I believe I also read that the charge rate or amp on lipo chargers are somewhat effected when not hooked to both as well, trying to find that in my Ctek Manual. It should still work, just not at optimal charge rate/amps.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:17 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Firstly, I am sure that others will have their opinion. But here is mine and started having LiPo batteries in 2013 which came in my Ferrari F12, so started to learn more about balance/float charging LiPo's - as that battery would only last 2-3 weeks max being off a charger, thus my first non AGM/Lead Acid battery in an sports car or exotic and nearly every one of my fun cars now have them and I follow the same logic (not that I am right, but here is what I have learned).

With that - there have been discussion on this for a few years (991 and 992 forums). Also, if you think back why car makers put the ground post (or people when jumping a car use the negative to a part of the frame). The reason is due to lead acid batteries produce gases, and if there is an arch those gases catch fire, lead acid battery then can explode (though this is rare, this has happened). Thus having a gap between positive and negative = no arching = no potential explosion...

Enter lipo - no gases emitted, can arch of course which would be bad for the battery. But when you are installing a pig tail (on a AGM/Lead Acid or lipo) you do not have power to it when connecting. Also once it is attached to both poles, you would not have any arching either - as both are solidly connected.

Some of the advanced LiPos also utilize the ground as part of the safety communication as well, and to fully have a fully looped communication and load balancing effect.

If you go to most manufactures (like Ctek) read the installation or hook up instructions, I do not know of any that do not say when permanently hooking up their chargers not to hook both positive and negative. I believe I also read that the charge rate or amp on lipo chargers are somewhat effected when not hooked to both as well, trying to find that in my Ctek Manual. It should still work, just not at optimal charge rate/amps.
Thank you for that explanation.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:29 PM
K-Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drew46
Thank you for that explanation.

So 992 GT3 sitting on the lift for a month with charger specific to Li battery from Porsche plugged in in to foot well, and as I described before , in order to avoid battery lock out before you plug in charger (foot well or directly to battery terminals ) ignition must be on . Today I get inside to do some work on the shifter , do not unplug charger or turn ignition on . Close car and in 2 hours car was not charging. I turn ignition on ands plug in again and it’s working fine .

Old 01-23-2022, 11:33 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Yes - if plugged into the footwell, and you disrupt the car (Lock/unlock, get in, open the doors, etc.) That will then restart the process of needing to do the ballet procedure again.

I hooked to my battery on my previous 2020 992 C4S and you could do whatever you wanted in the car, and the Lipo floating charger would not have an issue. With it in the footwell charging, you will have to do the full procedure again.

I didn't get a chance to hook up my new Targa with the pig tails this weekend, was doing prep for my 720s service I am about to do this week (it is out of warranty and doing the oil service this week and doing new upgraded turbos and turbo inlets - off topic pic below of the prep work on the 720s). The Targa is looking on with anxiety :-)

However, I plan to do it soon so I can see if it functions the same as the 2020, where as long as it is connected direct to the battery - it does not lose the charging status.

Old 01-24-2022, 03:07 AM
Joan Alcover
Racer

However, I plan to do it soon so I can see if it functions the same as the 2020, where as long as it is connected direct to the battery - it does not lose the charging status.
As long as the charger is connected to the battery and the charger does not lose power, you can unlock the doors, listen to the radio, tinker with the NAV favourites, listen to music, etc... and the battery (Lithium ion) will not lose charging status.
Tested many times on 2021 TTS, with CTEK lithium XS charger.
The only thing that happens is that after 30 minutes of playing with the ignition on (engine not running), the PCM screen tells you to start the engine ; if you do not, it cuts off what you are doing, so you have to turn ignition off and then back on.
Not sure if all of the above apply when using Porsche Charge-O-Mat pro charger.

Last edited by Joan Alcover; 01-24-2022 at 03:11 AM.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:47 AM
K-Nut
Rennlist Member

Default Pick tails

What is the benefit of connecting pick tails directly to the battery vs foot well plug?
Old 01-24-2022, 08:00 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

What is the benefit of connecting pick tails directly to the battery vs foot well plug?
You only have to connect your Charger to the pigtail and you are ready to go (you also do not have the cord closed on the door)

With the 12V in the footwell. You have to go through the 4-5 step process of making it active so it does not shut down the charging after an hour or so.

Plug in the 12V from the charger to the receptacle
turn the ignition on
Plug in the charger
Wait for a bit
Turn car off
Lock if you choose to
See if it works if not start at step 1.
The following users liked this post:
Mikster (01-24-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 09:01 AM
K-Nut
Rennlist Member

You only have to connect your Charger to the pigtail and you are ready to go (you also do not have the cord closed on the door)

With the 12V in the footwell. You have to go through the 4-5 step process of making it active so it does not shut down the charging after an hour or so.

Plug in the 12V from the charger to the receptacle
turn the ignition on
Plug in the charger
Wait for a bit
Turn car off
Lock if you choose to
See if it works if not start at step 1.
funny part is that after connecting directly to the battery leads car is not charging unless you go thru all the steps above.
plus you have cord coming out of hood and laying on the car .
i just do foot well since the outlet there designed for this purpose.
my point is that no matter were you connect charger , if you not following above mentioned steps , battery goes to sleep regardless where charger connected , battery or foot well , again I am talking 992 GT3 2022 (may be previous model battery was different)
Old 01-24-2022, 09:40 AM
Joan Alcover
Racer

my point is that no matter were you connect charger , if you not following above mentioned steps , battery goes to sleep regardless where charger connected , battery or foot well , again I am talking 992 GT3 2022 (may be previous model battery was different)
May be true with Porsche Charge-O-Mat; not true with CTEK Lithium XS.

In my case:
  • Either I connect the CTEK charger directly to the battery and do not even have to open the car (pigtail installed) for the battery to start charging;
  • Or I connect the Charge-O-Mat to the footwell outlet and then have to do the "turn ignition on, connect charger to footwell outlet, connect charger to mains, wait 30-60 seconds, turn ignition off" sequence.

I have not tried charging directly on the battery with the Charge-O-Mat. Not sure I am interested in doing so.
The following users liked this post:
peterdouglas (01-26-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 10:11 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,502 Likes on 937 Posts

This is an excellent thread with great participation and discussion. Thank you everyone. The theoretical, physical science, textbook answer to your question is that connecting directly to the battery terminals is more efficient because the electrical charge goes direct to the battery and therefore encounters much less resistance than that encountered when charging the battery through the vehicles wiring harness via a cigarette plug in the footwell. Not saying the latter is a bad practice……just saying that from an engineering standpoint you will achieve your goal of charging the battery quicker with direct pigtails because it is more efficient. If charging through the cigarette lighter port in the footwell is more convenient for you, then it is certainly an acceptable option. But, charging a battery through the vehicle’s wiring harness is not the most efficient option. But, you can successfully do it either way.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:23 AM
bobblehead
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts

funny part is that after connecting directly to the battery leads car is not charging unless you go thru all the steps above.
plus you have cord coming out of hood and laying on the car .
i just do foot well since the outlet there designed for this purpose.
I have been charging my 21 4S for many times during these winter months thru the footwell method, once it is fully charged (like 3+ hrs uninterrupted), the Porsche charge-o-matic pro will later shut itself off (turning to just one green light on the 'mode'). I repeat the process a week later for get it to fully charge status and it did the same thing.

Quick Reply: Battery Charging Issue