Sponsored by:

What did you buy your 992 today thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 06:01 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
$5 Harbor Freight moving blanket with contrast stitching that matches the interior.😜

Keeps the luggage from doing the interior harm on extended journeys. 👍
Good thinking. Need to get something like that (Harbor Freight wouldn't ship a torque wrench I wanted for CL wheels on a previous car, so probably won't ship anything to Canada.)

With no parcel shelf tabs, I needed some way to keep the two carry-on bags I specifically bought for the 992 (they both would have fit perfectly side-by-side on the shelf with the seats down) from sliding into the back of the seats in the event of hard deceleration. The two child seat tethering hooks under the rear window will accept a small hook on a bungee cord, which can then be attached to the luggage. This is V1 using green bungees I had on hand; the "permanent" ones are black versions with more restraining tension. Did a 2500 km week-long trip at the beginning of August with one bag back there cross-secured with two bungees and no issues with it moving around, despite some aggressive back-road carving.

BTW, these two bags easily fit in the frunk stacked on top of each other (no hood clearance issues), with lots of room for other stuff as well.

Last edited by gcurnew; 08-18-2020 at 06:09 PM.
The following 9 users liked this post by gcurnew:
997usa (08-18-2020), detansinn (08-18-2020), G650 (09-25-2020), Lee8084 (08-19-2020), markchristenson (08-20-2020), NigelPlays (08-27-2020), rouxeny (09-06-2020), russbert (08-26-2020), Vintage72 (08-26-2020) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-26-2020, 07:09 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 108 Posts

Delighted with these two leather key covers that arrived in Switzerland today from Story Leather in LA. Very high quality, beautifully executed, half the price of a Porsche cover. I’m properly pleased.
The following users liked this post:
rumnyc (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 09:31 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by JHesketh

Delighted with these two leather key covers that arrived in Switzerland today from Story Leather in LA. Very high quality, beautifully executed, half the price of a Porsche cover. I’m properly pleased.
Which key model did you buy? I don’t see a “911” except for the older style.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:12 PM
DCII
8th Gear

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1RedHead
Curious how you cut the reflector tape to fit? I ordered the same film. The place in SoCal doing my PPF and ceramic are saying they can’t install as they would have to cut to fit on the car and don’t want the liability... to me it seams like an easy application... or pop them out and wrap?
Old 08-28-2020, 01:59 PM
doug992
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

tried Roar Pedal throttle controller .. didn't go as planned .. dash lit up like a christmas tree and went into limp mode.

The instructions suggest shutting the car off for 15 mins to allow the ECU to sleep .. I let it sit for 1 hr but i believe when you unlock the car it wakes up the ECU the only option would be to unplug the battery .. still debating if i will try again or return it
Old 08-28-2020, 03:51 PM
540gone
Instructor

Received 155 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
BTW, these two bags easily fit in the frunk stacked on top of each other (no hood clearance issues), with lots of room for other stuff as well.

OK, since no one else has asked - I will. Would you please tell us what brand / size / etc. these bags are??
I am still pissed that my two 26" Rimowa bags that would fit perfectly side by side in the frunk of a 991 won't fit in the "new improved" (smaller) frunk in the 992.

Thanks
997usa (08-29-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 01:37 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 540gone
OK, since no one else has asked - I will. Would you please tell us what brand / size / etc. these bags are??
I am still pissed that my two 26" Rimowa bags that would fit perfectly side by side in the frunk of a 991 won't fit in the "new improved" (smaller) frunk in the 992.

Thanks
The bags are Briggs & Riley "International Carry-on Expandable Wide-body Upright Two-wheel"...https://www.briggs-riley.com/collect...pright-u121cxw

The two-wheeled version gives a bit more interior volume than the 4-wheeled spinner, and going "International" rather than "Domestic" size means you won't get flagged to check your carry-on by airlines in countries that enforce the international standards. These two fit in the frunk stacked and packed without using the expandable option (which works very well, to my slight surprise).

Because the bags have an external frame, there's a neat zippered pocket at the back of the bag...perfect for an umbrella, as my wife suggested. After a lot of shopping around online, I found that a Fulton Open & Close 101 fits very comfortably in the pocket, and is perfectly sized for one person and can cover two in a pinch. Good quality and reasonable price are bonuses. https://www.fultonumbrellas.ca/product/open-close-101/

Two bags stacked on top of each other in the frunk.
Still room on the sides and higher part of frunk towards the cabin for other "stuff."

Last edited by gcurnew; 08-30-2020 at 02:12 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by gcurnew:
540gone (08-30-2020), 997usa (09-01-2020), AKSteve (08-30-2020), Bluehighways (08-30-2020), rumnyc (08-31-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 07:53 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,820 Likes on 1,488 Posts

Good thinking. Need to get something like that (Harbor Freight wouldn't ship a torque wrench I wanted for CL wheels on a previous car, so probably won't ship anything to Canada.)

With no parcel shelf tabs, I needed some way to keep the two carry-on bags I specifically bought for the 992 (they both would have fit perfectly side-by-side on the shelf with the seats down) from sliding into the back of the seats in the event of hard deceleration. The two child seat tethering hooks under the rear window will accept a small hook on a bungee cord, which can then be attached to the luggage. This is V1 using green bungees I had on hand; the "permanent" ones are black versions with more restraining tension. Did a 2500 km week-long trip at the beginning of August with one bag back there cross-secured with two bungees and no issues with it moving around, despite some aggressive back-road carving.

Is there any reason you aren't using proper rated tie-downs attached to the top and bottom ISOFIX points? I only ask as any type of bungee, regardless of it's rating, is not going to do much to secure those bags in an accident. If the cord itself doesn't give the hooks likely will and then you'd potentially have the equivalent of two 300+ lb projectiles right behind your heads. Plus they are designed to stretch under load, anywhere from 1.5 to 2 times their static length which seems more than enough to allow the bags to hit the front seat backs.

Actually, before I wrote this reply I went digging through my owner manual to see what they say about using this area for cargo. They seem to studiously avoid even suggesting it is for that purpose, rather they simply state that any items in cabin should be secured and show how to fold the seats down. I'm wondering if that's related to why the tabs were quietly removed, i.e. as they could be taken to suggest some sort of intent to provide restraint.

On the upside, the ISOFIX system is rated for 18Kg children (39.6lb) which should more than cover a typical carry on. It doesn't seem to explicitly state it, but I assume that's based on all available points being used in each seat.

Last edited by aggie57; 08-31-2020 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 02:46 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aggie57
Is there any reason you aren't using proper rated tie-downs attached to the top and bottom ISOFIX points? I only ask as any type of bungee, regardless of it's rating, is not going to do much to secure those bags in an accident. If the cord itself doesn't give the hooks likely will and then you'd potentially have the equivalent of two 300+ lb projectiles right behind your heads. Plus they are designed to stretch under load, anywhere from 1.5 to 2 times their static length which seems more than enough to allow the bags to hit the front seat backs.

Actually, before I wrote this reply I went digging through my owner manual to see what they say about using this area for cargo. They seem to studiously avoid even suggesting it is for that purpose, rather they simply state that any items in cabin should be secured and show how to fold the seats down. I'm wondering if that's related to why the tabs were quietly removed, i.e. as they could be taken to suggest some sort of intent to provide restraint.

On the upside, the ISOFIX system is rated for 18Kg children (39.6lb) which should more than cover a typical carry on. It doesn't seem to explicitly state it, but I assume that's based on all available points being used in each seat.
There's no (easy) access to the lower ISOFIX attachment points with the seat-backs down, and even if there was the bags aren't designed with fittings to secure with ISOFIX tie-downs. The singular objective was to hold them down so spirited driving wouldn't cause them to flop around. The v2 straps are thick rubber with steel hooks, which have very little stretch and would need high g-loading to fail. At any rate, in the event of an accident the seats would prevent the bags - with a maximum weight of 10-12 kg each - from intruding into the front driver/passenger cell.

You might be right that removal of the tabs on the seats is designed to "softly" discourage using the area for carrying anything that needs to be restrained; it's too bad as they were really useful in that regard.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:19 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Had a BlackVue DR900S 2CH 4k dash cam installed last week (4k front camera, 1080p rear-facing camera). Set it up with the Power Magic Pro so it's directly wired into the fusebox, and set "Parking" mode to run for a maximum of 12 hours to prevent draining down the LiFePO4 battery. Still fiddling with settings and getting the cloud backup functions working properly. Right off the bat noticed that the 992 has a LOT of dash reflections, so ordered a CPL lens filter from Blackboxmycar.com. Also have a 128GB microSD card on order to replace the 32GB card that came with the unit.

In order to have it hidden from view behind the mirror while driving, installer turned the unit upside down (pretty standard apparently, and the software has a setting to accommodate this orientation) and snugged it up close to the rear-view mirror housing and tucked the cables neatly inside. The rear camera is maybe half the size of the front camera and is snuged up close to the headliner with almost no cable showing.

The DR900S gets good reviews, but I think the software (especially running from a Mac versus a PC) could use a UX/UI rework. Running from an iPhone rather than the desktop it all works, but the wifi connection is only good for 15 feet. I'll keep plugging away and tweaking it to my satisfaction, but so far about 90% satisfied and MUCH happier having cameras than not. Twice in the past year my wife was driving cars that were hit by inattentive drivers, and in both cases camera evidence would have tipped discussions with insurance in our favor. One incident cost us nothing as it clearly was a hit-and-run, while the other was 100% the other driver's fault but without photographic evidence we ended up paying half the cost of repair to a rental car (about $1000 out of our pocket) rather than making an insurance claim.

Last edited by gcurnew; 08-31-2020 at 03:22 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by gcurnew:
356to992 (09-01-2020), aggie57 (08-31-2020), JL_ (08-31-2020), Tanqueray86 (09-01-2020), Vintage72 (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 03:29 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,820 Likes on 1,488 Posts

There's no (easy) access to the lower ISOFIX attachment points with the seat-backs down, and even if there was the bags aren't designed with fittings to secure with ISOFIX tie-downs. The singular objective was to hold them down so spirited driving wouldn't cause them to flop around. The v2 straps are thick rubber with steel hooks, which have very little stretch and would need high g-loading to fail. At any rate, in the event of an accident the seats would prevent the bags - with a maximum weight of 10-12 kg each - from intruding into the front driver/passenger cell.

You might be right that removal of the tabs on the seats is designed to "softly" discourage using the area for carrying anything that needs to be restrained; it's too bad as they were really useful in that regard.
Just please be really careful carrying a load like that, that 10-12 kg will quickly become a much more effective mass if let loose in an violent accident, I'd assume the seat will likely not contain that sort of impact from the rear. Just saying with your welfare in mind.
gcurnew (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 10:04 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 185 Posts

The DR900S gets good reviews, but I think the software (especially running from a Mac versus a PC) could use a UX/UI rework. Running from an iPhone rather than the desktop it all works, but the wifi connection is only good for 15 feet.
I have my DR900S installed upside down too. You can download selected videos in your car onto your iPhone, then view later on the phone or transfer to the laptop.

My driving is almost all city and I like the extra peace of mind knowing I'll have evidence in the event of a dispute. 5 years ago (not my P-car) this idiot backed into me and claimed it was my fault. Fortunately I had video evidence so their insurance capitulated:
Old 08-31-2020, 10:57 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 199 Posts

I have the same set up in all of my cars for the exact same reason.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:27 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by markchristenson
Which key model did you buy? I don’t see a “911” except for the older style.
Sorry, only just seen this.

I seem to recall the pattern is the same as the Panamera key. However, I emailed a lovely lady called Connie at Story Leather a picture of my key. They made the pouches to order for exactly my key - new shape and Cabrio so all four buttons are operational. It is a very good fit with the correct button decals. Leather is rich and soft too.

Only possible improvement would be if the espresso brown perfectly matched for P.truffle leather (it’s not advertised as such) but one only notices if the key is on the seat.

Last edited by JHesketh; 09-01-2020 at 05:38 AM.
markchristenson (09-01-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 10:28 AM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by JHesketh
Sorry, only just seen this.

I seem to recall the pattern is the same as the Panamera key. However, I emailed a lovely lady called Connie at Story Leather a picture of my key. They made the pouches to order for exactly my key - new shape and Cabrio so all four buttons are operational. It is a very good fit with the correct button decals. Leather is rich and soft too.

Only possible improvement would be if the espresso brown perfectly matched for P.truffle leather (it’s not advertised as such) but one only notices if the key is on the seat.
I have ordered with Story Leather for my 992 C2S, which is being built as we speak. However, they can't make it until I send them a picture of the key. Can anyone please help a fellow Rennlister out and send me a couple of pictures of your 992 C2S key?

Quick Reply: What did you buy your 992 today thread