Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official waiting room for those with a new 992 on order --- come on in !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 04:00 PM
purples
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jkb545
Yes - it is normal to be ignored by a Porsche dealer. Don’t take it personally!
Thanks for the quick response! Glad to know it's not just me. How do I find out about where to pay for it and all that? I'm taking delivery at PEC Los Angeles.
The following users liked this post:
HudsonOH992GTS (03-08-2023)
Old 05-11-2019, 04:24 PM
rwsteelers
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

I read that the matrix lights are not fully functional in the US. I decided not to include them in my build.

I am torn between the 4S and the S. I see you are in PA - will the car stay home in inclement weather?
Other threads on this, matrix lights can be activated with software update which is dependent on NTSB ruling allowing the technology in the US. It is currently under consideration., but unclear when it would take effect, at which point presumably dealer does a software update and they will function as designed. The US Gov't has been sitting on this for years.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/n...ed-headlights/
Old 05-11-2019, 05:09 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by purples
Apologies if this isn't the correct forum for this...this is my first post.

I ordered a 992 C2S back in January. I've inquired about order updates with the dealership I ordered from by phone, text, and email and have yet to receive a reply. It's now May. The person who took my order is the manager of the dealership. I've also tried the head of sales, and left messages with the receptionists for anyone to call me back. Is this standard Porsche operating procedure? In contrast, I just took delivery on a new Mercedes that cost $80k less than my 992 and the customer service experience was exceptional. Maybe I'm being naive, but I had assumed that a $160k car would at least come with a minimal amount of follow-up communication about the order.

I finally called the 1-800 PCNA customer service number and they were able to give me a date of manufacture in April and a delivery date in July, but they said the dealership should be communicating with me and offered to call them and tell them to contact me about my order. That was over a month ago and I still haven't been contacted.

This is my first Porsche order. Is it normal to be ignored by the Porsche dealer you ordered from? How do I find out any other information? I have very practical questions including, "What is the estimated delivery date?" and "When and where do I pay for it?"
Maybe it depends on the dealership and SA.

I had the first allocation for a C2S at my dealership (they already had a few C4S allocations taken) after many test drives of new and CPO 991 models with them. Since March my SA texts me pictures of the Order Status screen for my 992 at least once per week to see how it is coming along and we talk several times a month. He confirmed my ship name 10 days ago and its arrival to Davisville yesterday etc. Talked me out of PEC for car pickup due to additional delivery delays and trucking back to my state and that instead I should do a regular drive event at PEC ATL sometime. Great guy and very supportive of whole ordering and build process and has owned Porsches for over 20 years - well liked enough to have been asked to join customers at PEC on several occasions.

This was by far the best dealership experience of the 4 dealerships I visited and comparable to the best BMW/MB/Lexus dealerships I've worked with in the past. Another dealership treated me pretty badly - blatantly implying I couldn't afford the CPO 991.1 I was initially looking at, and severely limiting speed/revs in my test-drive, and finally stating that I would be lucky to be sold a car by them especially a new 992. I told them off pretty well at that point: this is not a Picasso but just a mass-produced car I can buy from anywhere, and that they would never earn a dollar of my business. I think Porsche needs to raise the bar severely for many of their dealerships, but the best ones are very good.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:47 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 108 Posts

Yes - it is normal to be ignored by a Porsche dealer. Don’t take it personally!

Last year when I bought my macan GTS, the dealer took a 5K deposit and called me back a few days later to return my deposit because he had someone else lined up for the allocation. I felt that Porsche is selling cars on Walmart scale, but it’s dealers live in a business model from an era bygone.
‘Wow! Do you know, I’ve just been told my delivery date has moved from ‘expected mid July’ to ‘definitely end September’. My sense was that my slot had been re-allocated to a returning customer. No evidence, just a gut feeling. Sounds like your experience bears this out. No date was ever given to me in writing but I was told July was the expected date - ‘you’ll have it for summer’ (it’s a cabrio). Then 10 weeks of silence followed by ‘end September’. I trust my gut - this feels off so i’m not best pleased but I signed a contract committing me so the cost of a flouncy exit is 15%.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:44 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JHesketh
‘Wow! Do you know, I’ve just been told my delivery date has moved from ‘expected mid July’ to ‘definitely end September’. My sense was that my slot had been re-allocated to a returning customer. No evidence, just a gut feeling. Sounds like your experience bears this out. No date was ever given to me in writing but I was told July was the expected date - ‘you’ll have it for summer’ (it’s a cabrio). Then 10 weeks of silence followed by ‘end September’. I trust my gut - this feels off so i’m not best pleased but I signed a contract committing me so the cost of a flouncy exit is 15%.
If you put down a deposit and have a commission number then I doubt the dealership can just give your car to another customer...

Everybody in the initial C2S/C4S non-cab vehicles bound for USA seems to have a 12-Jul delivery date which many people think is just a placeholder that will be updated once CARB/EPA certification begins. The first cars just arrived in USA in the last few days and it will take a minimum of 2 months to go through certification/approvals (i.e. mid-July) and perhaps much longer (Aug/Sep release dates for USA have been quoted in these forums in the past). I am guessing later ordered cabriolet vehicles like yours are 1-2 months after the first non-cab vehicles are certified/delivered taking you out to September.

Alternatively a more depressing thought is that your September delivery date might be everyones delivery date, but you were the first to hear it. Another option is that the SAs don't know anything yet and are just guessing dates and being very pessimistic. My car is on US soil and my SA still refuses to tell me any dates and also says not to expect the car on 12-Jul (the date from Porsche on the order status sheet).
Old 05-13-2019, 04:02 PM
JHesketh
Racer

Originally Posted by pelucidor
If you put down a deposit and have a commission number then I doubt the dealership can just give your car to another customer...

Everybody in the initial C2S/C4S non-cab vehicles bound for USA seems to have a 12-Jul delivery date which many people think is just a placeholder that will be updated once CARB/EPA certification begins. The first cars just arrived in USA in the last few days and it will take a minimum of 2 months to go through certification/approvals (i.e. mid-July) and perhaps much longer (Aug/Sep release dates for USA have been quoted in these forums in the past). I am guessing later ordered cabriolet vehicles like yours are 1-2 months after the first non-cab vehicles are certified/delivered taking you out to September.

Alternatively a more depressing thought is that your September delivery date might be everyones delivery date, but you were the first to hear it. Another option is that the SAs don't know anything yet and are just guessing dates and being very pessimistic. My car is on US soil and my SA still refuses to tell me any dates and also says not to expect the car on 12-Jul (the date from Porsche on the order status sheet).

Some hope for you guys, i am in Switzerland not NA so my experience probably has no bearing on yours.

i have signed a contract but when i offered to pay a deposit i was rebuffed with a ‘we’ll deal with money in due course’. Nor do i have a ‘commission number’ just a curt email stating end September as the delivery date.

I’m not Swiss. This may be how it works here. It didn't when i bought my first car here: spec was agreed, price was struck, deposit was taken, order was placed. In that sequence.

i was a bit suss at the time of signing with Porsche so i offered to pay a deposit several times, in several ways, over the first fortnight. Each time i was gently rebuffed. I chased for a delivery date but was told ‘don’t have firm date yet’. Always silence unless i made contact.

Time passed and now this. My gut tells me that they have a number of slots and they only allocate to new punters (me) at the last minute if the slot is not taken up by a returning client.

Sound plausible?
Old 05-13-2019, 11:30 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JHesketh
Some hope for you guys, i am in Switzerland not NA so my experience probably has no bearing on yours.

i have signed a contract but when i offered to pay a deposit i was rebuffed with a ‘we’ll deal with money in due course’. Nor do i have a ‘commission number’ just a curt email stating end September as the delivery date.

I’m not Swiss. This may be how it works here. It didn't when i bought my first car here: spec was agreed, price was struck, deposit was taken, order was placed. In that sequence.

i was a bit suss at the time of signing with Porsche so i offered to pay a deposit several times, in several ways, over the first fortnight. Each time i was gently rebuffed. I chased for a delivery date but was told ‘don’t have firm date yet’. Always silence unless i made contact.

Time passed and now this. My gut tells me that they have a number of slots and they only allocate to new punters (me) at the last minute if the slot is not taken up by a returning client.

Sound plausible?
My apologies - did not know you were in Switzerland (should not have assumed USA - I am from Europe too but living here for a long time). I think you may be right - a dealership refusing a deposit suggests they may have other buyers in mind.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:31 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

For those of us in the USA - my SA just texted me that "overall release of 2020 992 we have been told Sept 4th"
I am trying to verify if "overall release" means all cars or might some of us get cars sooner than official release date...
Old 05-14-2019, 08:30 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Originally Posted by pelucidor
My apologies - did not know you were in Switzerland (should not have assumed USA - I am from Europe too but living here for a long time). I think you may be right - a dealership refusing a deposit suggests they may have other buyers in mind.
Definitely no apology required. Answers have been illuminating.

I received a small consolation present from my dealer today - a model car for me to assemble 😄 If everyone is suffering delays, perhaps Porsche is just running behind. August is a dead month anyway because of the factory shutdown. I’m just grumbling because October is when you get your snow wheels out so end September for a cabriolet delivery is a bit pointless.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:05 AM
B3rk
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Never paid any deposit for a Porsche (or any other car) in my life in the Netherlands and Belgium. Should be getting my 992 at the end of the month.

payment will be on delivery.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:40 AM
vanheto
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey
I also ordered mine in Belgium (order placed early April) - what has been your delivery time ? I ordered a 911S
Old 05-15-2019, 07:41 AM
vanheto
Intermediate

Originally Posted by B3rk
Never paid any deposit for a Porsche (or any other car) in my life in the Netherlands and Belgium. Should be getting my 992 at the end of the month.

payment will be on delivery.
Hey
I also ordered mine in Belgium (order placed early April) - what has been your delivery time ? I ordered a 911S
Old 05-15-2019, 02:41 PM
Steph001
Track Day

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vanheto
Hey
I ordered 911 4S also early April, in Netherlands, and delivery date expected end August. Checked with Belgian dealer same time and they said September. What about yours?
Old 05-15-2019, 05:21 PM
vanheto
Intermediate

Hey,
I signed my order form beginning of April and got a delivery date of end October. Ordered a 911S with some Porsche Exclusive options but nothing really special. Ordered it at the Porsche Center in Knokke (for export to Portugal). Long lead time ... Chinese torture especially when I read that some got the car in 2-3 months time. But hey, it's worth waiting for !
Old 05-15-2019, 06:54 PM
lamborarri
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the US, I'm just told my car is coming in the middle of July. Am I getting the first batch delivery? Or someone gets sooner?

Quick Reply: Official waiting room for those with a new 992 on order --- come on in !!