Sponsored by:

GT3 992.1 production concludes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 01:41 AM
User 81423
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
Yeah. Seems all I hear (maybe it's just me) is how the PDK is so superior that you have to be nuts to get the MT, especially if you like to track the car.
I know several here are avid MT fans, but the number of MT, according to those docs, is pretty amazing.
Just a thought, but I’ve observed two factors that may have contributed.
first, there’s the relentless obsession many have with resale value. manual 991 GT3’s performed better on secondary market.
second, I’ve found the manual in the 992 gt3 to be basically automated. You don’t really need any skill to drive it. Negative factor in my opinion, but maybe this lowered the perceived barrier to entry if someone was intimidated by lack of experience with it.

when California momentarily canceled MT option I was actually kind of excited once it set in, because the PDK is just immensely better. It’s undeniable.
I opted back to the MT when it was figured out, because I figured it would be my last chance to ever get one. But I’m less attached to it now.
Gimme that PDK now henceforth. Perhaps the ratio will right size on the .2
Old 10-27-2022, 12:43 PM
DodoBrd
Burning Brakes

Received 949 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by L2_ONBOARD
first, there’s the relentless obsession many have with resale value. manual 991 GT3’s performed better on secondary market.
second, I’ve found the manual in the 992 gt3 to be basically automated. You don’t really need any skill to drive it. Negative factor in my opinion, but maybe this lowered the perceived barrier to entry if someone was intimidated by lack of experience with it.

when California momentarily canceled MT option I was actually kind of excited once it set in, because the PDK is just immensely better. It’s undeniable.
I opted back to the MT when it was figured out, because I figured it would be my last chance to ever get one. But I’m less attached to it now.
Not sure what you mean here. You either know how to drive stick or you don't. My neighbor doesn't even know how to start a MT, god forbid he comes to a stoplight on a hill (even with hill assist). A lot of people with $$$ don't know how to drive stick, so to them, easy choice.

wow 1st I've heard the PDK is undeniably better...
Old 10-27-2022, 12:54 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,223 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by DodoBrd
Not sure what you mean here. You either know how to drive stick or you don't. My neighbor doesn't even know how to start a MT, god forbid he comes to a stoplight on a hill (even with hill assist). A lot of people with $$$ don't know how to drive stick, so to them, easy choice.

I am the last to admit it and am a die hard manual lover, but the PDK is better.
The following users liked this post:
Mr Mojo Risin (10-28-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 12:59 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by DodoBrd

I don't know about undeniably better, but it's pretty obvious the car was built around the PDK and then the MT was added as an option.

As with every one of these conversations it just comes down to if somebody really wants to push in clutch pedal in order to shift. If they do, then the MT is about as good as manual as there is on the market. If they don't care about that, the PDK is the best dual clutch on the market. It's great that Porsche gives two wonderful options so that everyone can choose what works best for them.

But I do wish fewer people chose MT simply for resale — I do think that contributes to incredibly low mileage numbers in a lot of used 991.2s and 992s. I think there's plenty of people who just don't actually like the MT as much as they like the idea of an MT and end up not driving them as much because they don't have the skills that make the MT fun.
Old 10-27-2022, 01:16 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,511 Likes on 2,568 Posts

In addition to my PDK GT3, we still have three manual Porsches. I enjoyed learning manual on the track, but now much prefer PDK on the track. On the road, manual can be fun, but I also enjoy using paddles with the PDK, and of course PDK in auto is nice in traffic. No wrong answer, they're just different flavors of ice cream.
Old 10-27-2022, 01:22 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,131 Likes on 2,889 Posts

When California momentarily canceled MT option I was actually kind of excited once it set in, because the PDK is just immensely better. It’s undeniable.
Allow me to deny that for you

And getting excited about the lack of choice is a bit deranged, imo...

I know that I would not have purchased any of my 3 GT cars, had Manual not been available.

Last edited by GrantG; 10-27-2022 at 01:27 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by GrantG:
Eric5280 (10-29-2022), Jbravo23 (10-27-2022), Porsch (10-29-2022), RockyTopTenn (11-25-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 04:00 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Actually metrics like resale value prove the MT option is superior. The PDK is immensely better alright - at being boring.

There's numerous competitors to the GT3 with capable automatic transmissions. There's basically no competition to the manual GT3 - it's the last and best of its breed.

If you want a boring automatic sports car - buy a Lamborghini or a Ferrari.
Diablo Dude (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 04:02 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG

I know that I would not have purchased any of my 3 GT cars, had Manual not been available.
^^ This. How many manual sports cars are offered these days? How many will be offered in 5-10 years? How many manual NA cars?

Price difference IMO is based on the rarity of that offering - you will most assuredly get an auto in the future (maybe only 2 speed trans however)

PDK is undeniably faster, thats about it.
Old 10-27-2022, 04:07 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,131 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
PDK is undeniably faster, thats about it.
Even then, it depends on the situation. PDK wastes more power as heat (~10hp) and weighs 37 pounds more. So, it's slightly slower in gear at some speeds...
Chris C. (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 04:40 PM
Jbravo23
Rennlist Member

Received 1,796 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG

samezies.

I’d probably have a turbo s cab if they didn’t make the manual gt3.
Old 10-27-2022, 05:08 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbravo23
samezies.

Interesting. I'd take a 718 Spyder (manual).
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr. G:
Diablo Dude (10-27-2022), Jbravo23 (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 05:12 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,290 Likes on 1,277 Posts

samezies.

What color?

Old 10-27-2022, 05:13 PM
Jbravo23
Rennlist Member

Received 1,796 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
Interesting. I'd take a 718 Spyder (manual).
great choice. I didn’t even think of the spyder.
Old 10-27-2022, 05:27 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 284 Posts

great choice. I didn’t even think of the spyder.
Spyder is sexy, and I like convertibles a lot, but I have to say it feels downmarket to me (vs 911 variants) and not the best use of $150K in elective auto spending IMNSHO

Think I'd so a sunroof 911 GTS manual or maybe try a Cab again.
Old 10-27-2022, 05:33 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Spyder is sexy, and I like convertibles a lot, but I have to say it feels downmarket to me (vs 911 variants) and not the best use of $150K in elective auto spending IMNSHO

Think I'd so a sunroof 911 GTS manual or maybe try a Cab again.
You're more than entitled to your opinion and a little more than a few years back I would have agreed.

I had a 981 Spyder that I did the Fabspeed GT420 package in - intake, plenum, headers, exhaust and tune. A bunch of us went driving up in Bear Mountain one weekend. A friend of mine has an RS 4.0, 911R, Singer, CGT, and he took his F12 that day. We switched cars earlier in the day because I really wanted to see what the F12 was all about. After about an hour I asked him to switch back and he refused to give me back the Spyder. The car is that good. I just traded my TTS back and it was amazing - but I still miss the Spyder and I'm hoping the Touring will give me a similar experience with more 911-ness.
Underblu (11-30-2022)

Quick Reply: GT3 992.1 production concludes?