Sponsored by:

GT3RS Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2023, 11:11 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by redpriest
Anyone doing PPF as an option? Is it any good? I normally just get full PPF once it arrives.
I was told absolutely do not check that box, its 3M and is precut so it shows up and dealer said they end up having to redo it more often than not. So get it paint corrected, and done by a pro.

Last edited by redmonkey928; 04-07-2023 at 11:38 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by redmonkey928:
Billy Bluejay (04-11-2023), Diablo Dude (04-08-2023), redpriest (04-07-2023), TRAKCAR (04-07-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 02:12 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,158 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by redmonkey928
I was told absolutely do not check that box, its 3M and is precut so it shows up and dealer said they end up having to redo it more often than not. So get it paint corrected, and dont by a pro.
Why paint correct before PPF? It’s not like the defects come through the plastic. And I speced factory PPF and yes, it’s precut, but it was done very well. I would do it again, also it’s not 3M, factory is XPEL Ultimate.
Old 04-07-2023, 03:25 AM
Wowzerg
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmos
Why paint correct before PPF? It’s not like the defects come through the plastic. And I speced factory PPF and yes, it’s precut, but it was done very well. I would do it again, also it’s not 3M, factory is XPEL Ultimate.
Originally Posted by redpriest
Anyone doing PPF as an option? Is it any good? I normally just get full PPF once it arrives.
Just my 2 cents but I would recommend generally against factory precut. My wife had a factory front PPF done years ago on a macan gts and the precut was very noticeable with a line down the both of the sides of the car just after the front wheels which looked horrible. A custom cut PPF would have made it larger and stretched it to go into the door jam area thus hiding the line. If you want a seamless look then a custom cut kit is the way to go.

I would also suggest doing paint correction prior to PPF. If its a new car generally its just a 1 step paint correction and not too expensive. Porsches overall have been pretty good about their paint per the shop i use to do all my detailing. In most cases it is just some unequal areas on the clear coat which they even out to bring out a better shine and luster to the color/paint. PPF afterwards also lets the color pop more. At times the guys at the shop I use have said defects do come out more after PPF if not dealt with prior.

I've done paint correction, full body PPF followed by ceramic coating on my 991.2 Turbo S, G80 M3, 2022 Macan GTS and a few other cars. Its a bit expensive but its nice knowing my cars look like they are brand new for years to come and I definitely do not regret doing so.

Hope thats helpful =)
The following users liked this post:
Diablo Dude (04-08-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 10:46 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,192 Likes on 473 Posts

Anyone else with confirmed allocation recently have massive movements in their build dates? Mine has moved up 2 months in last few days, from November completion date to now early September completion. I am assuming it’s because my build is a fairly stripper build without PCCBs, WP or PTS so it doesn’t have any parts restrictions. Interesting
Old 04-07-2023, 11:15 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,899 Likes on 1,896 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
Anyone else with confirmed allocation recently have massive movements in their build dates? Mine has moved up 2 months in last few days, from November completion date to now early September completion. I am assuming it’s because my build is a fairly stripper build without PCCBs, WP or PTS so it doesn’t have any parts restrictions. Interesting
my RS allocation which is not a stripper build has remained "fixed" for dates - EuroDelivery date 8/31/2023 @ Leipzig - manufacturing complete 5/29/2023

my buddies non-RS GT3 Touring build is manufacturing complete - it was not a stripper build, but also not "max options" - but did have PCCB's - he is also 8/31/2023 EuroDelivery @ Leipzig

we are excited!
AlexCeres (04-08-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 11:39 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmos
Just going off conversations I have had with the dealer, and photos/details shared on some that have shown up. I would agree on it not showing the lines, and paint correction is always a nice add as that isnt done from the factory.
Old 04-07-2023, 11:55 PM
disden
Drifting

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
my RS allocation which is not a stripper build has remained "fixed" for dates - EuroDelivery date 8/31/2023 @ Leipzig - manufacturing complete 5/29/2023

my buddies non-RS GT3 Touring build is manufacturing complete - it was not a stripper build, but also not "max options" - but did have PCCB's - he is also 8/31/2023 EuroDelivery @ Leipzig

we are excited!
yours is a 23 build I assume; mine is a 24 and I assume it’s been pushed to the front of the line because no fancy pants parts are ordered. Just curious if anyone else has seen movements recently since 24 allocation dates dropped.

have fun on ED; sorry our ED dates didn’t match well, as I mentioned before my Leipzig date for 4RS is the week prior to yours

Last edited by disden; 04-08-2023 at 12:06 AM.
daveo4porsche (04-08-2023)
Old 04-08-2023, 12:04 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,899 Likes on 1,896 Posts

yours is a 23 build I assume; mine is a 24 and I assume it’s been pushed to the front of the line because no fancy pants parts are ordered. Just curious if anyone else has seen movements recently since 24 allocation dates dropped.

have fun on ED; sorry our ED dates didn’t match well, as I mentioned before my Leipzig date for 4RS is the week period to yours
yeah '23 build.
Old 04-08-2023, 12:11 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,691 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche

we are excited!
congrats, I am sure it will be a fun filled experience driving in EU
daveo4porsche (04-08-2023)
Old 04-08-2023, 02:58 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,256 Posts

To each his own, but pre-cut PPF to me is a joke.

A professional custom application of PPF (I had Prestige ClearGuard Alpha installed) shows NO SEAMS ... even on the mirrors.

It's worth it x 10.

And any paint correction (even on a new vehicle) is a modest cost and worth it in my mind, as well. The ClearGuard Alpha provides a lot of brilliance and even better than their previous "Nano" version. (had it on my 981 GT4).

Go to an installer that has done a ton of GT3's. They know the fit and finish of the body panels of these cars, inside and out.

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 04-08-2023 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-08-2023, 05:04 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 178 Posts

Hey Dan....interesting.

I just got off the phone with my GM. The 3RS allocation I was offered would be a November build/Jan. delivery based on what system showed today.
My order demand build (from last fall) is now kicked back.... since it was PTS but non-Weissach (configurator used to allow). So I'm rebuilding my spec...

Ironically, he indicated if we enter my build details now... and I don't make any build changes, it COULD easily lock/freeze one to two months early.
Interesting to see yours possibly playing out that way. I don't know about you, but i'd prefer to space out my incoming 4RS and any subsequent 3RS if i can help it.
First world problems.....i know.
Old 04-08-2023, 05:30 PM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 420 Posts

Same here.
Build date moved to September but with PCCB and WP.
I pretty have everything on car except paint to sample. So non-PTS car..
Old 04-08-2023, 05:33 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by Wowzerg
Just my 2 cents but I would recommend generally against factory precut. My wife had a factory front PPF done years ago on a macan gts and the precut was very noticeable with a line down the both of the sides of the car just after the front wheels which looked horrible. A custom cut PPF would have made it larger and stretched it to go into the door jam area thus hiding the line. If you want a seamless look then a custom cut kit is the way to go.

I would also suggest doing paint correction prior to PPF. If its a new car generally its just a 1 step paint correction and not too expensive. Porsches overall have been pretty good about their paint per the shop i use to do all my detailing. In most cases it is just some unequal areas on the clear coat which they even out to bring out a better shine and luster to the color/paint. PPF afterwards also lets the color pop more. At times the guys at the shop I use have said defects do come out more after PPF if not dealt with prior.

I've done paint correction, full body PPF followed by ceramic coating on my 991.2 Turbo S, G80 M3, 2022 Macan GTS and a few other cars. Its a bit expensive but its nice knowing my cars look like they are brand new for years to come and I definitely do not regret doing so.

Hope thats helpful =)

It’s a 3RS and is the ultimate function over form car Porsche makes. Why are people so uptight about seeing a line of extra PPF somewhere on the car.

It just blows me away how, out of all the cars Porsche makes, so many people want to bubble wrap this thing and store it away.

Y’all should be buying the Panamera.
PET (04-08-2023)
Old 04-08-2023, 06:24 PM
disden
Drifting

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Hey Dan....interesting.

I just got off the phone with my GM. The 3RS allocation I was offered would be a November build/Jan. delivery based on what system showed today.
My order demand build (from last fall) is now kicked back.... since it was PTS but non-Weissach (configurator used to allow). So I'm rebuilding my spec...

Ironically, he indicated if we enter my build details now... and I don't make any build changes, it COULD easily lock/freeze one to two months early.
Interesting to see yours possibly playing out that way. I don't know about you, but i'd prefer to space out my incoming 4RS and any subsequent 3RS if i can help it.
First world problems.....i know.
Oddly I have the same problem with my 4RS and now 3RS. My 4RS is Leipzig delivery in August, and I was planning my 3 RS for spring 2024 ED. Again not awful problems to have, but was hoping my 3RS build moved back instead of forward! I also was hoping to have alittle more time between cars to appreciate each one, and not tick off my wife too much!

Last edited by disden; 04-08-2023 at 06:25 PM.
TRAKCAR (04-08-2023)
Old 04-08-2023, 06:42 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 178 Posts

Oddly I have the same problem with my 4RS and now 3RS. My 4RS is Leipzig delivery in August, and I was planning my 3 RS for spring 2024 ED. Again not awful problems to have, but was hoping my 3RS build moved back instead of forward! I also was hoping to have alittle more time between cars to appreciate each one, and not tick off my wife too much!
LOL, exactly. Maybe see you at Spring Smokies and we can compare notes again.

Quick Reply: GT3RS Allocation Thread