Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3RS Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 04:38 PM
Racer

Received 229 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmos
This is a funny and narrow argument. The whole point of the GT3 RS is a street car that dominates the track and it does so much better than any of the cars mentioned above.

You don’t need a trailer, it will not break down and the technology is beyond any of the above mentioned cars without getting into Sena and Straddale money.

It’s the best Jack of all trades and even with a $150k ADM punches above its weight. Im not defending it as a fan boy, I’m defending it as I’ve owned cup cars, radicals and others you mentioned and I can’t think of or find another car that does as much as the 992 RS. If you own one and drive it, you realize what a truly special machine it is.
I’ve driven mine a few thousand miles at this point and as a street car it’s definitely the weakest offering compared to other exotic cars outside of “wtf” presence thanks to the wing. All the other brands give more excitement going legal speed limits than the RS. Obviously the RS runs circles around the others when it comes to the track, but again it isn’t a true track car. When I go to the track, I still need a trailer to bring my wheels and tires along with a few tools. To me it’s no different than bringing a track only car out.

I do agree that the RS is the perfect car for someone who can drive to and from the track, have it serviced by a local dealer, have easy parts and tires, have the safety systems of a normal car, etc. It’s the best track car before going into a track only car which requires more resources to run and maintain properly. However, for half a million dollars you can achieve that no problem. If you got the 3RS at MSRP, definitely a better value proposition, but at half a million, might as well do track only and normal car combo.

The Radical SR10 XXR starts at $169,999 and has faster ring time than the 3RS. Can buy that, a truck, a trailer, and still have $230,000 leftover for something fun. 3RS is amazing if you get it for 250-300k, but at 450-525k, value proposition just isn’t there.
The following 2 users liked this post by 7382929296:
AlexCeres (05-15-2024), Billy Bluejay (05-15-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 05:21 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 2,990 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by 7382929296
When I go to the track, I still need a trailer to bring my wheels and tires along with a few tools. To me it’s no different than bringing a track only car out.
Huh? You cannot make that an argument against the value of the 3RS because you're choosing to run some kind of track slick with track wheels. The 3RS runs just fine on stock wheels and OEM tires, and even upgraded tires that fit the stock wheels that can be driven to and from the track. There is absolutely no need for a trailer if you're tracking a 3RS. That is purely add-on, which can be done for any car you're choosing to track that is street legal
The following users liked this post:
cscrogham (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 06:36 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 86 Posts

Radical lol

People are just realizing these cars shouldn’t command a 130-200k premium on top of MSRP. Maybe 75-100k during launch and by the end of the sales cycle 25-50k over. Half a million dollars is a lot of money, especially for a track car. Could buy the most expensive Radical which will run circles around the GT3 RS and still have enough money left over for a Lamborghini, McLaren, or Ferrari. Heck you could get a real Cup car and have enough money left over to rebuild the car 1-2 times.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:57 PM
M&Abanker4life
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 100 Posts

I’ve driven mine a few thousand miles at this point and as a street car it’s definitely the weakest offering compared to other exotic cars outside of “wtf” presence thanks to the wing. All the other brands give more excitement going legal speed limits than the RS. Obviously the RS runs circles around the others when it comes to the track, but again it isn’t a true track car. When I go to the track, I still need a trailer to bring my wheels and tires along with a few tools. To me it’s no different than bringing a track only car out.

I do agree that the RS is the perfect car for someone who can drive to and from the track, have it serviced by a local dealer, have easy parts and tires, have the safety systems of a normal car, etc. It’s the best track car before going into a track only car which requires more resources to run and maintain properly. However, for half a million dollars you can achieve that no problem. If you got the 3RS at MSRP, definitely a better value proposition, but at half a million, might as well do track only and normal car combo.

The Radical SR10 XXR starts at $169,999 and has faster ring time than the 3RS. Can buy that, a truck, a trailer, and still have $230,000 leftover for something fun. 3RS is amazing if you get it for 250-300k, but at 450-525k, value proposition just isn’t there.
All good points but I think the fact that anyone can drive it to the track without a trailer is the key differentiator plus the warranty.

A cup car has no warranty, absolutely requires a trailer everywhere it goes (Inc to and from service) and a maintenance crew and much higher operating costs given the hourly rebuild schedules on the engine and trans.

So 3RS wins as it’s an out of the box, turn key track car for minimal outlay in most cases except consumables.
At MSRP or up 50-75, you’re still ahead.

Cup car absolutely requires a trailer which requires a TV etc etc. Assume consumables are the same for simplicity. Then add the inconvenience factor of having to trailer to and from service appointments, support (maybe no need for support crew except maintenance and setup) and then no warranty. Then add the much higher operating costs for rebuild accruals etc (can likely stretch if not racing but still not cheap!).

Would wager 3RS wins the majority of the time on a PV basis. However, at 100-150+ above MSRP, your argument for the cup car or alternatives start making more sense for sure for those looking for a track only vehicle and can stomach the higher operating costs.

Last edited by M&Abanker4life; 05-14-2024 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-14-2024, 10:56 PM
GatorBait2001
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Clearly there are enough people out there willing and able to pay $100k and over that in mark ups. I have yet to stop by a dealer and hear they are having trouble filling allocations. Everyone is entitled to their option and no one is forced to buy one but the market seems to give the 3RS more credit than many here.

Maybe some of you will be the lucky few who get one at MSRP, albeit probably once the car is 6-8 year old....
Old 05-14-2024, 11:21 PM
M&Abanker4life
Rennlist Member

the 992 3RS really does narrow the gap between cup car and street car performance, more than any generation before it!

Originally Posted by cosmos
This is a funny and narrow argument. The whole point of the GT3 RS is a street car that dominates the track and it does so much better than any of the cars mentioned above.

You don’t need a trailer, it will not break down and the technology is beyond any of the above mentioned cars without getting into Sena and Straddale money.

It’s the best Jack of all trades and even with a $150k ADM punches above its weight. Im not defending it as a fan boy, I’m defending it as I’ve owned cup cars, radicals and others you mentioned and I can’t think of or find another car that does as much as the 992 RS. If you own one and drive it, you realize what a truly special machine it is.
Old 05-15-2024, 12:11 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,029 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by M&Abanker4life
the 992 3RS really does narrow the gap between cup car and street car performance, more than any generation before it!
Agreed but it's way over the top to drive around on the street and that's why the want factor for me isn't as high, I actually enjoy driving the Touring more than I thought. It doesn't help that I'm only down to doing 6-8 track days a year because I just don't have the time which also reduces the want factor for the 3RS.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:04 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 173 Posts

Agreed. And once you realize what this actually means, you will realize how crazy it is that people track the RS without it having full safety gear (Cage, containment seat, 6-points, fire suppression etc.)
Old 05-15-2024, 10:20 AM
M&Abanker4life
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Agreed but it's way over the top to drive around on the street and that's why the want factor for me isn't as high, I actually enjoy driving the Touring more than I thought. It doesn't help that I'm only down to doing 6-8 track days a year because I just don't have the time which also reduces the want factor for the 3RS.
100% agree - for a street driven vehicle or daily that can double for track duty, gt3 winged or touring is the best way to go!
The following 2 users liked this post by M&Abanker4life:
StealthGT3 (05-15-2024), usctrojanGT3 (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 10:22 AM
M&Abanker4life
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RossP
Agreed. And once you realize what this actually means, you will realize how crazy it is that people track the RS without it having full safety gear (Cage, containment seat, 6-points, fire suppression etc.)
Absolutely - half cage , 6pt harness for driver and passenger , hans and a proper helmet at a minimum.
Easy to get away without that gear until you don’t.

Last edited by M&Abanker4life; 05-15-2024 at 10:23 AM.
StealthGT3 (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 01:03 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,029 Likes on 2,297 Posts

100% agree - for a street driven vehicle or daily that can double for track duty, gt3 winged or touring is the best way to go!
The Touring does get a little lively with less aero on track in certain spots so I don't push as hard as I do with the 4RS.
Old 05-15-2024, 07:54 PM
big_cheese
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What’s the normal process for getting on a waitlist for an allocation? My local dealer wants me to give them a copy of my current registration and car insurance in order to get a form for a deposit to be put on a waitlist.

No idea how my current registration or insurance could have anything to do with my willingness or ability to purchase a new car? Feel like I’m about to get my info stolen by my local brand ambassador, is this common?
Old 05-15-2024, 08:17 PM
Racer

Received 229 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by big_cheese
What’s the normal process for getting on a waitlist for an allocation? My local dealer wants me to give them a copy of my current registration and car insurance in order to get a form for a deposit to be put on a waitlist.

No idea how my current registration or insurance could have anything to do with my willingness or ability to purchase a new car? Feel like I’m about to get my info stolen by my local brand ambassador, is this common?
Scam for sure. Waitlist is your name written down and a $1000-10,000 deposit with a receipt stating waitlist deposit for GT3 along with an email or printout stating your position on the waitlist. That’s been my experience across 4 dealers.
big_cheese (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 08:23 PM
bpeacock
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 355 Likes on 202 Posts

That sounds suspicious. I can't imagine why they'd need any of that information.
(813) 838-8758
big_cheese (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 08:53 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 120 Posts

Scam for sure. Waitlist is your name written down and a $1000-10,000 deposit with a receipt stating waitlist deposit for GT3 along with an email or printout stating your position on the waitlist. That’s been my experience across 4 dealers.
Originally Posted by bpeacock
That sounds suspicious. I can't imagine why they'd need any of that information.
I actually think that sounds legitimate. Dealers do not like to sell out of state and deal with all of the tax ramifications if they mess up. Local taxing authorities go after the dealers first, then the dealers have to chase down the customer. Furthermore, dealers are also tired of out of state LLCs or other tax schemes. Finally, PCNA is involved in this as well as PFS is prohibiting financing depending on your location or your entity type.

So yea, why should a dealer trust you without documentation of who you are and where you live?
big_cheese (05-15-2024)

Quick Reply: GT3RS Allocation Thread