Sponsored by:

Ripping out the opf material

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2022, 06:00 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by n d
like I said this is something I was told I felt like it was my obligation to say something.I’m glad dundon came on here and explained.
so technically it’s not plug and play like it states on there websites.?

How about checking with Dundon first to get details before blathering it onto the forums. They would have answered you the same day and you would have been able to make an informed post vs posting “something you heard.”

Dundon and so many other aftermarket companies rely deeply on forum reputation.

I’m not usually this critical but I’ve seen first hand how hard those guys work and how stand-up they are. They simply don’t deserve this.

The following 3 users liked this post by sgroer:
alextheghost (06-02-2022), Apex Ace (05-26-2023), icepenguin66 (12-22-2023)
Old 05-30-2022, 06:05 PM
n d
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
How about checking with Dundon first to get details before blathering it onto the forums. They would have answered you the same day and you would have been able to make an informed post vs posting “something you heard.”

Dundon and so many other aftermarket companies rely deeply on forum reputation.

I’m not usually this critical but I’ve seen first hand how hard those guys work and how stand-up they are. They simply don’t deserve this.
what if I just ordered it off there website without calling how would I know that the valves need to be recalibrated? Shouldn’t dundon be more upfront about there products cause I don’t see it being mentioned on there site!

Last edited by n d; 05-30-2022 at 06:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
User 81423 (05-31-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 06:11 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by n d
like I said this is something I was told I felt like it was my obligation to say something.I’m glad dundon came on here and explained.
technically it’s not plug and play if it need the valves recalibrated.
its not a complicated issue its literally one of the easiest things ever. Under 1 min for me and any porsche shop with a piwis or dealer can it. It so happens many of the first dudes that slapped on dundon did it themselves. It should be in the installation instructions (which i didnt read lol). Also, literally everyone uses helical valves from the uk (except akrapovic and they have the worst and most rattly valves in my actual experience). Im certain people will run into the recalibration issue when they get valved systems from lots of places because the spring mechanism is different. And its not even an issue. My dealer did it for me in the parking lot because it would take longer to put the car in the bay than just zap it
icepenguin66 (12-22-2023)
Old 05-30-2022, 06:13 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by n d
what if I just ordered it off there website without calling how would I know that the valves need to be recalibrated? Shouldn’t dundon be more upfront about there products cause I don’t see it being mentioned on there site!
Yes so obviously the right move to accuse them of lying on a public forum even though you’ve never talked to them. Totally makes sense.
icepenguin66 (12-22-2023)
Old 05-30-2022, 06:17 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n d
what system do u have? Just curious
Old 05-30-2022, 06:24 PM
n d
Pro

My apologies to dundon….I will remove my post…
The following 3 users liked this post by n d:
icepenguin66 (12-22-2023), Rennolazine (05-30-2022), sgroer (05-31-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 06:24 PM
n d
Pro

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
what system do u have? Just curious
jcr
Rennolazine (05-30-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 06:29 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n d
jcr
if its not valved u dont need to worry about cel. I also have a cargraphic valve controller and it actually blocks the cel due to valves being off.
i think with a full header system where the flow is engineered to be ferrocious the valve calibration is important. Even if its 10-15% off it will have different flow on each side.
i had my valves calibrated anyway and my buddy who installed full kline is getting his calibrated even tho he runs wide open most of the time and no cel

Last edited by Rennolazine; 05-30-2022 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-30-2022, 06:35 PM
n d
Pro

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
if its not valved u dont need to worry about cel. I also have a cargraphic valve controller and it actually blocks the cel due to valves being off.
i think with a full header system where the flow is engineered to be ferrocious the valve calibration is important. Even if its 10-15% off it will have different flow on each side.
i had my valves calibrated anyway and my buddy who installed full kline is getting his calibrated even tho he runs wide open most of the time and no cel
Thank you for that information
Old 05-30-2022, 06:59 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 371 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by n d
i could care less about jcr or dundon I have no interest in your company success or failure.
I’m also glad you came on here to set the record straight! Now I have more confidence in removing the opf…. Thanks!

The valves need to be calibrated with a PIWIS post install. Never hid this, look at any of our social media posts.

We’ve said it over and over again on social media. In person, to those that have ordered. It’s in the instructions. Plug and play means no engine tune is required.

As far as gutting the expensive stock OPF, I’d be a little leary as the next owner may want them, trade in for an RS will require them…

Thanks to all who came to our aid, very sad times when someone leads with “they lie” instead of just asking a question….

jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
The following 4 users liked this post by Jamie@dundonmotorsports:
Apex Ace (05-26-2023), icepenguin66 (12-22-2023), jfr0317 (05-30-2022), rosenbergendo (05-30-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 07:03 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 646 Likes on 308 Posts

Huh?
As far as gutting the expensive stock OPF, I’d be a little leary as the next owner may want them, trade in for an RS will require them…”
Old 05-30-2022, 08:28 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 371 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Huh?
As far as gutting the expensive stock OPF, I’d be a little leary as the next owner may want them, trade in for an RS will require them…”
Lol,

The OP was asking about taking out the OPF material from the factory OPF's. Just stating the obvious that:
1. They're expensive.
2. If you trade In the car at some point, Porsche will likely want the original equipment on the car.
3. The next owner of the car will want them (or should want them).
4. You can't just "put the back" as you have to bust them up to get them out...

cox1974 (06-01-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 07:06 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 646 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Lol,

The OP was asking about taking out the OPF material from the factory OPF's. Just stating the obvious that:
1. They're expensive. Not really.
2. If you trade In the car at some point, Porsche will likely want the original equipment on the car. No, they will never know in the US.
3. The next owner of the car will want them (or should want them). No. What, why?
4. You can't just "put the back" as you have to bust them up to get them out...
. Yes you can source new OEM headers/fake OPF foam.
Old 06-02-2022, 09:18 PM
GT3NYC
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

Take a look at the sound difference. Sorry for the limited clips but the first is pre opf delete the second is opf material delete.

the sound is deeper at the lower end and oh boy it’s raspy at the top end.

View this post on Instagram
Old 06-04-2022, 11:33 PM
n d
Pro

Originally Posted by GT3NYC
Take a look at the sound difference. Sorry for the limited clips but the first is pre opf delete the second is opf material delete.

the sound is deeper at the lower end and oh boy it’s raspy at the top end.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CeUpK...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
thanks ….. I’m gonna give it a try . Does anyone know how much the fake opf material cost just in case ?

Quick Reply: Ripping out the opf material