Sponsored by:

911ST

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2023, 10:44 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,392 Likes on 2,209 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
If you read the 992 reveal threads from 2018, EVERYONE hated the 992 design.
Remember when the turbo four 718 came out - I logged off for 5 years after that LOL…..

People getting triggered by “parts bin” car is hard to understand (other than the implied criticism). This car seems to be the definition of a parts bin car - aren’t all these special models like that? I don’t see that as a bad thing (the bins are full of pretty nice stuff), and it doesn’t diminish the work they did on the suspension and interior package etc.
Old 12-19-2023, 10:57 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,986 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Remember when the turbo four 718 came out - I logged off for 5 years after that LOL…..

People getting triggered by “parts bin” car is hard to understand (other than the implied criticism). This car seems to be the definition of a parts bin car - aren’t all these special models like that? I don’t see that as a bad thing (the bins are full of pretty nice stuff), and it doesn’t diminish the work they did on the suspension and interior package etc.
Yeah, I wouldn't mind dipping into that parts bin and grabbing the mag wheels and clutch.
The following 3 users liked this post by usctrojanGT3:
GT3 Mike (12-19-2023), kyrocks (12-20-2023), UncleDude (12-19-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 11:18 PM
Justaroofer
Banned

Received 589 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
Imagine having such a strong opinion about a car you've never even seen in person, let alone driven, then claim to be a car enthusiast LOL. Amazing

Must be the altitude on those roofs
You're right! I hate cars. They're just awful. Trucks on the other hand.... yes! The sensation of the Torque from 80psi of boost making 1500-2000ft lbs and busting dual rear wheels of a dually loose on a 70mph roll/ drop is just delicious.

Meanwhile.... I was offered a Demon 170 today for a slight markup and passed.... for the exact same reason.... publicity stunt.

Views actually pretty decent up here.....

GTSR #15/100 final edition(actually back.up for sale from gentleman who bought it after I sold-
https://www.bjmotors.biz/2017-dodge-...on-c-13843.htm)

I agree, if you drove a GT3 MT then drove a Viper..... you'd be questioning all your prior life vehicle choices.

If I told you I have a late production ST spot and I'm still this critical, would it surprise you?

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
When you consider a $335k Heritage S/T has an MSRP $215k more than the $120k Carrera on which all 992s are primarily based, it's egregious. Especially when, say, a $335k 296 is a bespoke and far more complex vehicle with much more ultimate performance and cache.

Don't get me wrong...I would buy an S/T in a heartbeat (and have no interest at all in the 296). It's exactly what I want in a 911, and I've had 911s my whole life. But I am able to take a step back and see the bigger picture; I understand that is difficult for most here.
Sadly the Aura of exclusivity is what drives most here, and not the actual car itself.

Originally Posted by PTS
The cost difference argument doesn't make sense to me. I'd be willing to bet the base model Audi Q8 shares as much, if not more in common with a Cayenne Turbo GT than a base 911 shares with an S/T.

So is it also egregious that while a base Audi Q8 is $70k a Cayenne Turbo GT is $198k? That's a 182% price increase. The Turbo GT isn't a limited run car either.

Base 911 is $118k and base S/T is $291k. 146% price increase. Using that logic is the S/T now a bargain? Especially when you consider future value (which I couldn't care less about).

I have no interest in paying ~$150k for a well spec'd base 911 but have all the interest in the world paying ~$330k for a well spec'd S/T. I don't think the S/T price is egregious at all. I think it's the first properly priced MSRP GT car Porsche has put out in quite some time
You're missing a big piece of the equation for most.... the base price is actually closer to 400k when you factor in the lease. Then the 150-200k adm. That's the 500-600k price point.....

I'm just a roofer though so forgive my simpleton math. Insurance companies usually just cut me checks and I just deposit them. The math is usually mathed for me. #mobties lol

Originally Posted by PTS
How do you know how much R&D costs were associated with the bespoke carbon clutch and flywheel design? With the recalibration of the gearing as a result? How do you know the costs associated with the engineers tasked with a full year plus of dedicated time to the suspension dampening? The bespoke doors? The bespoke fenders? The recalibration of the steering rack from removing the RWS? The list goes on but I think you get my point. We both have no idea.

And as stated above, R&D costs do not have a direct line to vehicle MSRP. Of course there is some correlation. No one here has any idea how much time and money it took to develop the S/T. I'm willing to bet it was quite a bit. Just because some changes are subtle doesn't mean they don't cost considerable time and money.
Wander how much math and R&D was put in to prevent all the egregious over-revs from missed shifts that have grenaded the countless MT GT3 Tourings that are out there.... but shhhh let's not talk about having to replace a 20k clutch on top of stroking a motor. Dare we not.

Last edited by Justaroofer; 12-19-2023 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-19-2023, 11:44 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
And as stated above, R&D costs do not have a direct line to vehicle MSRP. Of course there is some correlation. No one here has any idea how much time and money it took to develop the S/T. I'm willing to bet it was quite a bit. Just because some changes are subtle doesn't mean they don't cost considerable time and money.
That's exactly the point...the changes are subtle. The significant cost premium for the consumer is driven by perceived scarcity, not cost to manufacture. People here question why the 'parts bin' aspect is relevant...that's why. Again, when compared to something like the 296 for the same MSRP that is bespoke, far more complex requiring far more R&D, new platform, new engine, along with exclusivity. Going in circles now...my last post on the subject. Carry on...
Old 12-19-2023, 11:53 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 2,909 Likes on 1,334 Posts

That's exactly the point...the changes are subtle. The significant cost premium for the consumer is driven by perceived scarcity, not cost to manufacture. People here question why the 'parts bin' aspect is relevant...that's why. Again, when compared to something like the 296 for the same MSRP that is bespoke, far more complex requiring far more R&D, new platform, new engine, along with exclusivity. Going in circles now...my last post on the subject. Carry on...
Many of the changes are not subtle, though. We both have no idea how much the R&D costs for the bespoke items on the S/T. A completely new carbon clutch and flywheel design is not subtle and likely took a lot of time and a ton of money to put together.

I don't see how your argument for the 296 is analogous to the S/T. The 296 platform is a massive investment for Ferrari. All the R&D, time and money Ferrari put into a whole new car will pay off when they inevitably use that new tech, engine, etc in other cars (i.e. SF90, and others to come).

Agree to carry on
Old 12-20-2023, 03:40 AM
Greek Car Geek
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Justaroofer
If I told you I have a late production ST spot and I'm still this critical, would it surprise you?
Wouldn’t it mean you’re a troll? 🧌
The following users liked this post:
TOporschefan (12-20-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 03:49 AM
red route 1
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts

Here's another parts bin special from last year with all 25 owners no doubt struggling with price vs cost, their only motivation being exclusivity.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/...0-years-review
Old 12-20-2023, 12:42 PM
carlom001
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

^ Like I said, not everyone can step back and see the bigger picture. I said nothing about worth or future value. I said nothing derogatory about the S/T; I think it's perfection. I get that most people spending $300-400k on a 911 will consider the C2 a POS.

I am talking about cost to develop and manufacture in the context of being a 'parts bin' car, and why there is criticism. Take any common part from a Carrera...body in white, wiring loom, PASM dampers, etc...did the equivalent part number(s) on the S/T cost Porsche 150% more to develop and manufacture? No. Did the drivetrain cost 50% more to develop and manufacture than the GT3's? No. Again, compare it to a 296 that has the same MSRP, and what it must have cost to develop and manufacture.
296 development costs will be amortised for the next 6-7 years via multiple versions and updates - just like the 458 platform yielded hardtops, spiders, speciale, 488 and then the Pista and finally the F8 Tributo coupes/spider - so think about 50-60,000 produced over 10 years.
I canceled my 296 GTS order for the S/T as the S/T is a special, numbered car that by all accounts will be the pinnacle of the 992 range with manual gearbox etc etc. There will be many 296 GTS to choose from in a few years, unlike the S/T, and further I will pick up a GTS at a substantial discount to MSRP unlike the S/T where used choice will be limited and priced much higher than the GTS. I love both Ferrari and Porsche, have several of both, but with this comparison to the GTS, the S/T is clearly the more 'special' car to have as a long term keeper.

Last edited by carlom001; 12-20-2023 at 12:44 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by carlom001:
AlexCeres (12-20-2023), dave2020 (12-20-2023), GrantG (12-20-2023), Greek Car Geek (12-20-2023), GT3 Mike (12-20-2023), GTS440 (12-20-2023), PTS (12-20-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-20-2023, 02:20 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by red route 1
Here's another parts bin special from last year with all 25 owners no doubt struggling with price vs cost, their only motivation being exclusivity.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/...0-years-review
Great spec on that car.
Old 12-20-2023, 10:07 PM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 419 Posts

Link: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-12-20/porsche-911-s-t-review?srnd=premium

Old 12-21-2023, 01:57 AM
dieselino
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 111 Posts

The bottom line here is Porsche is looking to cash in on what they know these cars will sell for. Look what happened with the 911R. Do you all think its fair that some scum bag dealer that treats customers like crap, gets to make $250K plus on the car? Or would it be better to go to Porsche who did all the work and spent all the money on R&D, manufacturing, Employee's etc? Id rather it go to Porsche so they can continue to make cool cars we all want. Look at what the next equivalent lambo, ferrari, or mclaren etc sell for. $300K is not out the realm.
usctrojanGT3 (12-21-2023)
Old 12-21-2023, 02:04 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,114 Likes on 615 Posts

Wait till you see what the 992.2 GT3 will MSRP for….
The following 2 users liked this post by cosmos:
GTS440 (12-21-2023), mass27 (12-21-2023)
Old 12-21-2023, 02:06 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,545 Likes on 5,067 Posts

Originally Posted by dieselino
The bottom line here is Porsche is looking to cash in on what they know these cars will sell for. Look what happened with the 911R. Do you all think its fair that some scum bag dealer that treats customers like crap, gets to make $250K plus on the car? Or would it be better to go to Porsche who did all the work and spent all the money on R&D, manufacturing, Employee's etc? Id rather it go to Porsche so they can continue to make cool cars we all want. Look at what the next equivalent lambo, ferrari, or mclaren etc sell for. $300K is not out the realm.
Unlike marques like Lamborghini, Ferrari, Mclaren, etc., Porsche dealers are stuck with selling mass market cars like the Macan, Cayenne, Panamera, etc. that actually take effort to sell.

Cars like the S/T, SC and really even run of the mill GT cars are backdoor ways for PAG to give dealers trunk money.
Old 12-21-2023, 02:13 AM
Greek Car Geek
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmos
Wait till you see what the 992.2 GT3 will MSRP for….
Do enlighten us please!
Old 12-21-2023, 03:14 AM
dieselino
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Unlike marques like Lamborghini, Ferrari, Mclaren, etc., Porsche dealers are stuck with selling mass market cars like the Macan, Cayenne, Panamera, etc. that actually take effort to sell.

Cars like the S/T, SC and really even run of the mill GT cars are backdoor ways for PAG to give dealers trunk money.
Really? Tell that to all the Ferrari Dealers that had to sell the GTC4 Lusso. There are many non GT cars that dont take a ton of effort to sell. Not saying dealers shouldn't get a kick back on GT cars, but $250k or more is just ridiculous. By the way, Porsche awards dealers with allocations of GT cars for selling lots of other vehicles, they dont also need to give them hundreds of thousands of dollars on top of that. This is one of the many reasons OEMS would love to be able to go to direct to consumer sales model.
usctrojanGT3 (12-23-2023)

Quick Reply: 911ST