Sponsored by:

911ST

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2023, 09:27 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 3,102 Likes on 1,426 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmos
^ this exactly. And further more, people comparing it to the Touring is also ridiculous.

RS engine, Weissach suspenion, Mag wheels, CF doors, roof, etc, all 3RS WP parts; the more apt comparison, not to a 10 year old 991.1.
What is Weissach suspension?
Old 12-23-2023, 09:31 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,229 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
What is Weissach suspension?
Carbon Fiber hollow away bars.
The following 2 users liked this post by cosmos:
Diablo Dude (12-23-2023), PTS (12-23-2023)
Old 12-24-2023, 10:21 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,196 Likes on 1,843 Posts

I believe when pricing out the ST it should be comparable to the RS.
I never thought of it that way and it makes much more sense than comparing it to the Touring.
Old 12-24-2023, 11:35 AM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 284 Likes on 121 Posts

I tried to make this point awhile back. The S/T is essentially a wingless RS with black PCCB, WP/Mags and leather included. The price of the RS with the same options as an S/T is a ~$300 delta. That is essentially the same price.

All these journalists are either financially obtuse or just like the clicks when they say that the S/T is a touring but costs $100K more. Wrong & wrong.

Even if you want to call it a Super Touring, make sure you add the following options. If these were options on the Touring, it would be close to the current MSRP of the S/T.
  • WP
  • SMFW
  • Lightweight stuff
  • Different gearing
  • Mag wheels
  • Full leather
  • Black PCCB
  • RS engine
Finally, the reason the R was so inexpensive is because it was 8 years ago. Build a 2016 R with SMFW, full leather, somehow add mag wheels and you are over $200K. So ~40% price increase in 8 years...seems right on par with everything else in life. Math hurts when it's accurate.

I'll keep saying this, the S/T is a bargain, comparatively speaking.
The following 3 users liked this post by mass27:
Daft Chief (12-26-2023), neoprufrok (12-24-2023), rodsky (01-01-2024)
Old 12-24-2023, 01:02 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 344 Likes on 176 Posts

The bold color on the wheels works perfectly, as it looks great and has the weird effect of toning down the car's extroversion (hood, rear wing, etc.).

The following users liked this post:
RolandT (12-25-2023)
Old 12-24-2023, 02:21 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 1,005 Likes on 434 Posts

While you make a valid point, the number one tell tell sign that Porsche got greedy and wanted more money left on the table is the price delta between the 2016 911R and the 2019 911 Speedster. Both cars are essentially the same, prior to the inflation hitting the economy. There was a 90k increase in the base price between the two model, with the 911R being build in almost half the numbers compared to the Speedster. Talk about economy of scales huh?

While inflation is real and the manufacturing cost have gone up, there is no denying from where I'm sitting, that Porsche is getting greedy and is testing the water of increasing the overall price of its products to capture more profit left on the table. Paint to sample used to cost 6950 in 2016, and now it's 20,960 in 2023. Inflation? Sure....

Originally Posted by mass27
I tried to make this point awhile back. The S/T is essentially a wingless RS with black PCCB, WP/Mags and leather included. The price of the RS with the same options as an S/T is a ~$300 delta. That is essentially the same price.

All these journalists are either financially obtuse or just like the clicks when they say that the S/T is a touring but costs $100K more. Wrong & wrong.

Even if you want to call it a Super Touring, make sure you add the following options. If these were options on the Touring, it would be close to the current MSRP of the S/T.
  • WP
  • SMFW
  • Lightweight stuff
  • Different gearing
  • Mag wheels
  • Full leather
  • Black PCCB
  • RS engine
Finally, the reason the R was so inexpensive is because it was 8 years ago. Build a 2016 R with SMFW, full leather, somehow add mag wheels and you are over $200K. So ~40% price increase in 8 years...seems right on par with everything else in life. Math hurts when it's accurate.

I'll keep saying this, the S/T is a bargain, comparatively speaking.

Last edited by unotaz; 12-24-2023 at 02:22 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by unotaz:
993RR (12-24-2023), cosmos (12-24-2023), e6tme (12-25-2023)
Old 12-24-2023, 04:14 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,229 Likes on 668 Posts

I was shocked that CXX doubled in price, yes doubled from my 992 RS to the ST for the same request.
Old 12-24-2023, 04:32 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,101 Likes on 2,347 Posts

I was shocked that CXX doubled in price, yes doubled from my 992 RS to the ST for the same request.
Not that surprising if there is more demand for CXX than capacity and I'm sure it'll keep increasing with the .2 variants just like the PTS cost. I'll splurge on PTS but never had any interest in any of the CXX options given their cost, including the center stripe on the hood and wing for the 4RS.
Old 12-24-2023, 05:45 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 1,005 Likes on 434 Posts

Must be inflation…

Old 12-24-2023, 06:33 PM
993RR
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Must be greedflation…
Efa.
Old 12-24-2023, 07:49 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 284 Likes on 121 Posts

While you make a valid point, the number one tell tell sign that Porsche got greedy and wanted more money left on the table is the price delta between the 2016 911R and the 2019 911 Speedster.
I think using the term greedy is a slippery slope. I'm not sure I have seen any company completely devoid of greed, which is sometimes a euphemism for profit. I would not call Porsche pricing greedy...it's a luxury product anyway so they can price it whatever the market will bear.

I do agree with you that Porsche is done with leaving profits on the table and good on them. And, they do some pricing that on its face seems arbitrary and capricious, e.g., GT silver is $4K? PTS is cheaper on a Panamera than a GT3RS? Then again, I am not on the board of Porsche so I have no idea how or why they price things, nor is it really my business.

I can't wait to see the pricing on the 992.2 and future models coupled with a new VIP program. The term "rage quit" comes to mind.

Old 12-24-2023, 09:24 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,270 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
I think using the term greedy is a slippery slope. I'm not sure I have seen any company completely devoid of greed, which is sometimes a euphemism for profit.
Maximizing profit in all legal ways is an obligation of the executives and the board to the shareholders. So we can't really fault Porsche for that. But maximizing short-term profit at the expense of the company's long-term future is greedy. Happens all too often when executive comp is tied to some gameable metrics. But I'm not sure that's what's happening here. Porsche is clearly trying to capture the surplus value of its brand, and if they believe that this value is here to stay, that's the right call. I suspect that some of the current Porsche's brand value is temporary, driven by the success of its halo cars. So many people buying GT3s do it because it's cool rather than because they actually like the car. I mean, even this forum is full of posts along the lines of "GT3 needs more low-end torque because downshifting is too noisy and draws too much attention and is just inappropriate for my use case" even though that's the whole point of the car. Reminds me of the beers that advertise "drinkability" - which is basically a taste designed for people who don't like the taste of beer but feel the need to drink it. That vogue is usually temporary, so pricing it in fully could be dangerous, but getting some of it captured is just a fiduciary duty and smart business. Too bad we have to pay for it.
Old 12-24-2023, 10:00 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Maximizing profit in all legal ways is an obligation of the executives and the board to the shareholders. So we can't really fault Porsche for that. But maximizing short-term profit at the expense of the company's long-term future is greedy. Happens all too often when executive comp is tied to some gameable metrics. But I'm not sure that's what's happening here. Porsche is clearly trying to capture the surplus value of its brand, and if they believe that this value is here to stay, that's the right call. I suspect that some of the current Porsche's brand value is temporary, driven by the success of its halo cars. So many people buying GT3s do it because it's cool rather than because they actually like the car. I mean, even this forum is full of posts along the lines of "GT3 needs more low-end torque because downshifting is too noisy and draws too much attention and is just inappropriate for my use case" even though that's the whole point of the car. Reminds me of the beers that advertise "drinkability" - which is basically a taste designed for people who don't like the taste of beer but feel the need to drink it. That vogue is usually temporary, so pricing it in fully could be dangerous, but getting some of it captured is just a fiduciary duty and smart business. Too bad we have to pay for it.
Porsche has brought in a different crowd of buyers since the 911 and the social media culture doesn't help either but it is what it is. I much rather pay a higher MSRP than paying an ADM because then I know it goes back to Porsche to spend on future R&D on fun cars instead of lining the pockets of stealers and flippers. I think Porsche will keep pushing MSRP higher with the .2 variants while seeing how the market absorbs it to determine future price increases, same will go for PTS and CXX.
Old 12-24-2023, 10:08 PM
tims16m
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 44 Posts

Must be inflation…
Brandon directly responsible! Along with the 6+ million new welfare participants to bankrupt the country. Time to raise taxes?
Old 12-24-2023, 10:19 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tims16m
Brandon directly responsible! Along with the 6+ million new welfare participants to bankrupt the country. Time to raise taxes?
Of course it is, especially all the "rich" working stiffs and same will go for slick ***** in CA since the state went from a $100B surplus to a $68B deficit (yeah those refunds checks were a great idea to buy votes).

Quick Reply: 911ST