Sponsored by:

911ST

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 05:19 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 275 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
False, if he walks into the right dealers ready to bend over and stroke a big check I guarantee that he'll walk out with an allocation. The majority of US dealers will sell their ST allocation/s to the highest bidders. PNH will be one of few dealers who will sell the car to their best customers at MSRP.
False. You don't know what the majority of US dealers will do.

Can't you just say...some dealers MAY sell their S/T allocations to the highest bidder? You will be much more credible this way.

Back to your point, I think that the majority of US dealers will give their 1-2 allocations to their best customer at MSRP and the huge ADMs that pop on BAT will be the minority of transactions of new S/Ts, numerically. I am not counting the 2nd and 3rd resale of the same car. All bets are off on those...including your revered PNH.
The following users liked this post:
Diablo Dude (08-20-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 05:21 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

So what got the 4RS past the finish line in terms of getting the green light to be produced by PAG? The strong 718/981 GT4 sales?
Frank Walliser.

The board backs him 100%.

Whatever he touches turns golden.

He saved the 918 program. Then he led the 919's winning efforts. After that he was head of 911 and 718 and we all knew how good that went. Now he is in charge of all future products' technical development.

Porsche have a really bright star rising up the ranks very very quickly.

I got to know him because of the 918 program, I have his signature on my dash, only car he signed during the production process as that signature is factory clear coated over. He signed many more cars after but all are under the hood.

The following 6 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
brake dust (08-21-2023), Diablo Dude (08-20-2023), Guest89 (08-21-2023), pcar-yvr (08-21-2023), RUF RS (08-26-2023), usctrojanGT3 (08-20-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-20-2023, 05:25 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,986 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
If I didn't have to hear your broken record of calling dealerships stealers and how you get your cars at MSRP, we'd probably share several beers
It wouldn't be as fun for me to be on RL if I couldn't bash bad dealers. We are both very fortunate that we have a relationship with a good dealer that takes care of us, we can both agree on that. I'm hoping to get out to COTA in Nov so beers and BBQ on me (I order it via Task Rabbit and have it delivered to the track) if you plan on going there too.
PTS (08-20-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 05:30 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mass27
False. You don't know what the majority of US dealers will do.

Can't you just say...some dealers MAY sell their S/T allocations to the highest bidder? You will be much more credible this way.

Back to your point, I think that the majority of US dealers will give their 1-2 allocations to their best customer at MSRP and the huge ADMs that pop on BAT will be the minority of transactions of new S/Ts, numerically. I am not counting the 2nd and 3rd resale of the same car. All bets are off on those...including your revered PNH.
I'm fairly certain that the MAJORITY of US dealers will go for the cash grab because they'll hear about the big ADMs that the usual suspects are charging. The fact is that there are less and less dealers out there who sell their GT cars for MSRP as demand has grown since COVID so that points to me being right.
Old 08-20-2023, 05:35 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Frank Walliser.

The board backs him 100%.

Whatever he touches turns golden.

He saved the 918 program. Then he led the 919's winning efforts. After that he was head of 911 and 718 and we all knew how good that went. Now he is in charge of all future products' technical development.

Porsche have a really bright star rising up the ranks very very quickly.

I got to know him because of the 918 program, I have his signature on my dash, only car he signed during the production process as that signature is factory clear coated over. He signed many more cars after but all are under the hood.
Well having now driven my 4RS enough, I am so glad that Frank got the GT4RS past the finish line. I loved tracking my 981/718 GT4s but always wanted a bit more power and aero out of the car. The 4RS nailed it for me and man oh man the sound of the intake and engine, it's vocal sex for my ears and it is a very close 2nd to my 997 4L. Can't wait to take the car on track once the weather cools down.
Old 08-20-2023, 05:46 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,291 Likes on 2,446 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
You don't say.

The fallacy isn't not knowing something so obvious, the fallacy is bringing something like that up in this thread when no one suggested it was.
The fallacy is that under that premise no discussion of anything that's not equally as terrible as the worst things can ever be had.

I agree and also think it's ridiculous that some people get their panties in a bunch about allocations, adms, or whatever else is vexing them about this or any other car ... but I still don't hit them with the 'there are bigger problems in the world' card unless they really go of off the reservation thinking themselves an actual victim. A person can both be disappointed with not being able to get something they desire and be crushed by what they watch on the news, emotions are not zero sum, one doesn't take away from another. It's simply a ridiculous thing to introduce in a car conversation just to get to stand on one's high horse.

Btw, high horse ADMs also a thing.
I don't agree that it's ridiculous to bring it up in the conversation, particularly when the conversation gets overheated about nothing, as evidenced by personal attacks. Emotions aren't zero sum, but there can/should be a sense of proportion.
supershaft (08-22-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 05:52 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,019 Posts

I'm fairly certain that the MAJORITY of US dealers will go for the cash grab because they'll hear about the big ADMs that the usual suspects are charging. The fact is that there are less and less dealers out there who sell their GT cars for MSRP as demand has grown since COVID so that points to me being right businesses like money
fify
Old 08-20-2023, 05:53 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
I don't agree that it's ridiculous to bring it up in the conversation, particularly when the conversation gets overheated about nothing, as evidenced by personal attacks. Emotions aren't zero sum, but there can/should be a sense of proportion.
I honestly don't get why people get all worked up about discussion about cars, they are just things made up of metal, plastic, and rubber. The most important things in life are family, friends, and good health.
The following 2 users liked this post by usctrojanGT3:
kyrocks (08-20-2023), Manifold (08-20-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 05:54 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

Wow, so much hate. So much talking about scarcity and price and blah blah. No one can even answer my questions on exhaust or green dials above.
Now I remember why I left this forum years ago…
The following 2 users liked this post by kyrocks:
786 (08-23-2023), neoprufrok (11-16-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 05:54 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
fify
Sure I'll buy that for a dollar as it summarizes my reasoning.
Old 08-20-2023, 06:06 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,291 Likes on 2,446 Posts

This may tell us more about ourselves than we want to know:

https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/v...t=businessdiss

"This research seeks to provide an understanding of consumers’ psychological responses to the scarcity environments that are strategically created by retailers. A mixed method design provides both qualitative and statistical understanding of this phenomenon. The findings across four studies define a new construct that captures consumers’ understanding of the product shortage that is strategically created by the retailer, differentiates it from scarcity situations where the retailer does not necessary limit the supply of the product, and suggests that consumers react differently in the varied conditions. The study suggests that strategically controlled environments, by creating product uncertainty, are able to motivate behaviors such as urgency to buy. It is further suggested that urgency to buy is mediated by emotions like anticipated regret that these retailers are able to successfully generate in the mind of the consumer. Further, scarcity communicated by the retailer threatens consumers’ freedom, thus triggering psychological reactance and encouraging them to take immediate actions like in–store hoarding and in–store hiding, to safeguard their behavioral freedom. The study also takes into account individual traits like competitiveness, hedonic shopping motivations, and need for uniqueness, and examines their influence on consumers’ behavioral responses. The results suggest that consumers high on these traits are more likely to exhibit competitive and deviant behaviors like in–store hoarding and in–store hiding. Also, the role of gender is examined and it is suggested that, unlike their stereotypical apparel buying behaviors, males with high hedonic shopping motivations are more likely to exhibit behaviors like in–store hoarding and in–store hiding. By examining consumers’ psychological and behavioral responses to human–induced scarcity conditions, this research seeks to make theoretical contribution to the scarcity literature. From a methodological stand point, this research contributes to the consumer and retail literature by defining and operationalizing constructs like perceived scarcity, urgency to buy, and in–store hiding."
Old 08-20-2023, 06:15 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

I buy what I like. If I still lived in the US or spent the majority of my time there, I would buy a GT3 RS. However, I don’t, so the S/T is a good fit for me now. That’s how I see it. Unlike others here, I’m not continuously bashing the car and price nor am I praising it and trying to change peoples minds. I actually think it’s going to be a very good drive (best 992) based on its parts bin characteristics. Maybe I’m wrong, but at least I’ll be the one to figure it out.
The following 2 users liked this post by kyrocks:
RUF RS (08-26-2023), vcp13 (08-20-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 06:53 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,943 Likes on 2,800 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
They could have made the 4RS better and faster, but then that would have been a problem for the GT3.
Nah, wouldn't it only be necessary that the GT3 RS is faster than the GT4 RS, GT3 faster than GT4, 992 GTS faster than 718 GTS, etc?

I don't think every version of the 911 has to be faster than every version of the Cayman (rule already broken, if so).

Last edited by GrantG; 08-20-2023 at 06:56 PM.
Manifold (08-20-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 07:10 PM
Grunspan
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

Even worse than that would be being in an ST which you bought for MSRP and you burned to death in the car in Maui.
too soon. Let’s vector off silly analogies. We are better than this

Last edited by Grunspan; 08-20-2023 at 07:18 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Grunspan:
Diablo Dude (08-20-2023), RUF RS (08-26-2023), supershaft (08-22-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 07:16 PM
Grunspan
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
No, the worse is if you had a S/T allocation and burned to death in Maui.

Pretty grotesque hypothetical. Let’s stop. A little respect.
Diablo Dude (08-20-2023)

Quick Reply: 911ST