Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Z06 and 992 GT3 on the NRing

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 07:51 AM
Il CP
Pro

Received 507 Likes on 213 Posts

To each their own. For me there's a lot more to a car than just sound. I personally don't care for the Lambo V10 sound. There's something way too artificial about the soun signature of the Huracan. Also I'm 181 cm and of normal build, and I can't fit properly in a Huracan, much less q Perf. with a helmet. From the standpoint of drivers cars, I think Ferrari does a better job than Lambo.

To each their own.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:02 AM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Il CP
To each their own. For me there's a lot more to a car than just sound. I personally don't care for the Lambo V10 sound. There's something way too artificial about the soun signature of the Huracan. Also I'm 181 cm and of normal build, and I can't fit properly in a Huracan, much less q Perf. with a helmet. From the standpoint of drivers cars, I think Ferrari does a better job than Lambo.

To each their own.
"something way too artificial about the sound signature of the Huracan"

The sound signature of the Huracan is that of a naturally-aspirated powerplant. The F8 was an attempt to try to achieve such sound by exhaust manipulation, etc. Whilst better than the 488, it's still nowhere near what a 458 was. The sound of modern V8 Ferraris is one if THE biggest blunders across the automotive industry amongst nearly every journalist that reviews a 488/F8...let's get real here....and exactly the opposite for a Huracan.

Sound characteristics are one of THE biggest contributors to the raw emotion that an automobile extracts. Most agree that the Huracan is a better-built car fit and finish-wise (being a VAG product) vs. Ferrari.

and to this day, the sticky button situation that Ferrari STILL has is a poor excuse for engineering. When a Ford F150 from 10 years ago still has perfect climate control and steering wheel buttons, Ferrari can't even fix that. GM's Z06 will best the F8 in fit and finish.

Anyhow, the F8 was a band-aid car with shopping cart parts shelf items left over from the old 458/488 run to keep the kool-aid going until the 296GTB arrived. It's already a has been...

Last edited by motorwerksgroup; 10-28-2021 at 08:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
goin2drt (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 08:34 AM
Il CP
Pro

Originally Posted by motorwerksgroup
"something way too artificial about the sound signature of the Huracan"

The sound signature of the Huracan is that of a naturally-aspirated powerplant. The F8 was an attempt to try to achieve such sound by exhaust manipulation, etc. Whilst better than the 488, it's still nowhere near what a 458 was. The sound of modern V8 Ferraris is one if THE biggest blunders across the automotive industry amongst nearly every journalist that reviews a 488/F8...let's get real here....and exactly the opposite for a Huracan.

Sound characteristics are one of THE biggest contributors to the raw emotion that an automobile extracts. Most agree that the Huracan is a better-built car fit and finish-wise (being a VAG product) vs. Ferrari.

and to this day, the sticky button situation that Ferrari STILL has is a poor excuse for engineering. When a Ford F150 from 10 years ago still has perfect climate control and steering wheel buttons, Ferrari can't even fix that. GM's Z06 will best the F8 in fit and finish.

Anyhow, the F8 was a band-aid car with shopping cart parts shelf items left over from the old 458/488 run to keep the kool-aid going until the 296GTB arrived. It's already a has been...
Deleted. Don't want to carry on as it's pointless.

Last edited by Il CP; 10-28-2021 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:02 AM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

Nothing carried over from the 488 to the F8???

how about the ENTIRE platform from chassis architecture onwards.

do a search for sticky button. FCHAT is your friend.

Old 10-28-2021, 11:21 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

The F8 was an attempt to try to achieve such sound by exhaust manipulation, etc. Whilst better than the 488, it's still nowhere near what a 458 was.
488 sounds much better than the f8. This has been agreed on by many even though how something sounds is personal. With the f8 it is very hard and expensive and totally voids the car warranty if you do the things needed to make the f8 sound good...and it can sound good.

With the 488 it is as simple as unplugging the vacuum operated exhaust valves and the car sound much better...or just removing the rear muffler on the 488...all this done with out effecting the cars ECU.
Old 10-28-2021, 02:41 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,543 Likes on 5,065 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
488 sounds much better than the f8. This has been agreed on by many even though how something sounds is personal. With the f8 it is very hard and expensive and totally voids the car warranty if you do the things needed to make the f8 sound good...and it can sound good.

With the 488 it is as simple as unplugging the vacuum operated exhaust valves and the car sound much better...or just removing the rear muffler on the 488...all this done with out effecting the cars ECU.
I think the difference in sound between the 488 and F8 is the GPF.

If it wasn't for the GPF, the F8 would sound very similar (if not the same) as the Pista.
Old 10-28-2021, 02:50 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 575 Posts

I had 2 R8 v10 plus which is the same engine V10 like Lambo Huracan
and currently have 488
I like the sound better on the 488
Old 10-28-2021, 04:16 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,226 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by Il CP
You say the F8 is a snoozefest and that "you couldn't", and yet you are perfectly fine with a 2018 911 Turbo? That makes zero sense. Wasn't it also you who said that one should nkt race anyone in an F8, because that would be emberassing? Outside of the 720S, 765LT and SF90 will outrun an F8? The TTS will not. Sure it is faster from a dif due to 4wd, but it will not hang with it on neither a drag strip nor on a GP track. An F8 will consistently run 10.3X 1/4 mile times.

Lambo, GM, and most others cannot hang with that, nor can they do it in a roll race.

Here's the 4wd Huracan Evo gettjng consistently beaten.
https://youtu.be/OnGVWhKC7_4

Here's an F8 vs. C8. It can only be described as a blood bath.
https://youtu.be/_Lxt6PEMHy4

Here's a tuned 700 hp 991.2 TTS losing to an F8.
https://youtu.be/dOWR7lc5VdI

Here's a stock 992 TTS getting creamed by an F8.
https://youtu.be/GxvM_P6mb1E

To say that running other cars in the F8 is emberassing, is jus asinine. And when you don't have anything better, it gets to a point of being ridiculous to call it a snoozefest and embarrassing.

exactly how much track time and street time do you have with the F8? I highly doubt it's much, if any at all.
I never said that racing an F8 would be an embarrassment. Please find that post.

Interesting videos. There's a lot of material on brooks who basically does every little teenie weenie thing to gain 0.1 or 0.01 seconds in the 1/4 mile. Dragtimes sure does tip the scales at times.

Brooks runs at one of the fastest tracks in the entire country sitting below sea level with practically no DA... Why does my 2018 TTS with exhaust and tune run a faster time than his F8 and that TTS? Mind you, I'm sitting way up in the sky at high elevations and brutal density altitude. My car would be easily into the 9's on that prepped track in florida. On top of all that, we have the worst 91 octane fuel in the planet in AZ/NV/CA/TX. Fuel on the east coast has got the juice.

Here's an older 1/4mile run on my car.... Just last night I beat this time WITH letting off at 130mph. As a matter of fact you can see a slight flat line in my speed in this run which indicates lift on the throttle.

FYI... I was thisclose to trading in on a 488/F8 very recently. Ferrari dealer was on their knees begging for my keys. I walked away because I found myself forcing the deal and doing all I could to like the 488/F8 (something I know the vast majority of owners do because they just want a Ferrrrrari). THEY'RE BORING and an outdated 991.2 is a much better car. The F8 is the most generic looking Ferrari I've seen in a while. Ferrari is for badge presence only at this point unless you're shooting up high into the ranks with an SF90, 812, or the Pista variant. Red on black 488/F8's are basically silver on cloth Honda Civics in the exotic world. Revolting. Classy, sure I guess.. Then again the 488's don't even make full power and don't even reach advertised redline, ever. Typical Ferrari BS.. Also brooks has videos of a stock Huracan taking down the 488.. Where's the F8 now BTW? Why the quick turn around? Brooks was quick to toss that one in the can. For good reason.

I'd take an F12 9 out of 10 times over the F8.

PS: I'm not going to further derail this thread with 1/4 mile and straight line racing talks. You started it and I'm responding. Consider the conversation on this topic closed.
Old 10-28-2021, 06:20 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Old 10-28-2021, 06:20 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Old 10-28-2021, 06:38 PM
Il CP
Pro

Nothing carried over from the 488 to the F8???

how about the ENTIRE platform from chassis architecture onwards.

do a search for sticky button. FCHAT is your friend.
Some may encounter sticky buttons, but none of my cars have had them since I had my FF. I'm a regular on FChat and considering how many 488's are out there, we aren't exactly flooded in sticky buttons. What matters to me is my first hand personal experiences, not some second hand info from the internet.

Yes the F8 is based off of the 488, and I'm well aware that it was made as a response to the 720, but it does not make it a bad car. If you had been to the factory and seen a 458 and 488 chassis side by side, you'd know they are very different. It is far from just a chassis carry-over. Don't know where you got that from, but it is incorrect. Just go and drive a 458 Spider and 488 Spider, and you might realize how radically different those chassis are in stiffness.

I like the F8, you don't. Fine.

You like the Lambos, I don't. Fine.

Onwards and upwards
Old 10-28-2021, 06:49 PM
Il CP
Pro

Originally Posted by mdrums

An F8 can sound pretty good if you ask me.

I know it's a Pista, but the same system can be had for the F8.
Old 10-28-2021, 06:57 PM
Il CP
Pro

Originally Posted by 911dude41
I never said that racing an F8 would be an embarrassment. Please find that post.

Interesting videos. There's a lot of material on brooks who basically does every little teenie weenie thing to gain 0.1 or 0.01 seconds in the 1/4 mile. Dragtimes sure does tip the scales at times.

Brooks runs at one of the fastest tracks in the entire country sitting below sea level with practically no DA... Why does my 2018 TTS with exhaust and tune run a faster time than his F8 and that TTS? Mind you, I'm sitting way up in the sky at high elevations and brutal density altitude. My car would be easily into the 9's on that prepped track in florida. On top of all that, we have the worst 91 octane fuel in the planet in AZ/NV/CA/TX. Fuel on the east coast has got the juice.

Here's an older 1/4mile run on my car.... Just last night I beat this time WITH letting off at 130mph. As a matter of fact you can see a slight flat line in my speed in this run which indicates lift on the throttle.

FYI... I was thisclose to trading in on a 488/F8 very recently. Ferrari dealer was on their knees begging for my keys. I walked away because I found myself forcing the deal and doing all I could to like the 488/F8 (something I know the vast majority of owners do because they just want a Ferrrrrari). THEY'RE BORING and an outdated 991.2 is a much better car. The F8 is the most generic looking Ferrari I've seen in a while. Ferrari is for badge presence only at this point unless you're shooting up high into the ranks with an SF90, 812, or the Pista variant. Red on black 488/F8's are basically silver on cloth Honda Civics in the exotic world. Revolting. Classy, sure I guess.. Then again the 488's don't even make full power and don't even reach advertised redline, ever. Typical Ferrari BS.. Also brooks has videos of a stock Huracan taking down the 488.. Where's the F8 now BTW? Why the quick turn around? Brooks was quick to toss that one in the can. For good reason.

I'd take an F12 9 out of 10 times over the F8.

PS: I'm not going to further derail this thread with 1/4 mile and straight line racing talks. You started it and I'm responding. Consider the conversation on this topic closed.
Post #4.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...vs-488-f8.html
Old 10-28-2021, 08:12 PM
DarthBalls
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Never really understood the brand bashing or loyalty thing. I've always been about the actual car and did the manufacture make a good car. In this case, the Z looks pretty impressive. I'm excited that someone is still building NA motors and driver experience cars no matter the brand. I think the "I'm worried about someone beating me in a cheaper car" has jumped the shark with EV's. MP3's will dust you at the light almost every time unless your willing to launch or really get after it. Track built cars will get you more than likely as well. Just enjoy your car and relish the options we have, cause 5-8 years from now we're all going to be looking at EV/Hybrid options only.

Z06 in a convertible looks really good. But I'd need to see in person, the C8 to me still looks great from certain angles, but not very good from others. I'm curious if this has corrected those things, at least in my eyes.

Congrats to those getting one. I'm on a list for a 992 GT3 but might consider holding out for the .2 after seeing what the Z06 is. Porsche may up their game on the .2, but who knows.
AllAboutThatP (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 10:55 PM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 557 Likes on 278 Posts

I think the Z06 will be great for Porsche. If they underestimated it on the 992.1, you can bet they will pull out all the stops for .2. It will be very interesting to see if they have some tricks up their sleeve on the 3RS.
DarthBalls (10-29-2021)

Quick Reply: New Z06 and 992 GT3 on the NRing