Sponsored by:

EPA holding 2018 991.2 deliveries

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 06:35 PM
XLOR8T
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rsess
I got "the letter" dated July 21 saying four to six weeks delay for my August 11 2018 gts the car arrived at dealer July 27. ������
they probably didn't know how long of a delay to expect so they were covering their behind
Old 08-01-2017, 06:50 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 560 Likes on 211 Posts

This delay is shocking. I got my 2017 Targa GTS when expected in Canada. Didn't Trump nominate a new head of EPA who was anti-regulation? I guess he wanted everyone to buy " American." I don't know why dieselgate would affect non-diesel 911s.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:03 AM
2Bad4u
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO
This delay is shocking. I got my 2017 Targa GTS when expected in Canada. Didn't Trump nominate a new head of EPA who was anti-regulation? I guess he wanted everyone to buy " American." I don't know why dieselgate would affect non-diesel 911s.
I don't know the answer to that but perhaps the EPA is testing all cars because they do not trust the VW group any longer. VW did bring this on themselves.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:39 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,032 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Bad4u
I don't know the answer to that but perhaps the EPA is testing all cars because they do not trust the VW group any longer. VW did bring this on themselves.
It's not just VW, it's Daimler as well.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:15 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

The EPA does not test cars for emissions nor does it look at software. The auto manufacturers WRITE the rules and then self-certify their vehicles to those NHTSA and EPA performance standards. The best the EPA can do for now is to scrutinize the emission certifications that are provided to them but at best, you are still relying on the auto companies not to lie. And it looks like the threat of a big fine didn't make much of a difference to help with that.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:26 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
The EPA does not test cars for emissions nor does it look at software. The auto manufacturers WRITE the rules and then self-certify their vehicles to those NHTSA and EPA performance standards. The best the EPA can do for now is to scrutinize the emission certifications that are provided to them but at best, you are still relying on the auto companies not to lie. And it looks like the threat of a big fine didn't make much of a difference to help with that.
While it's correct that the auto manufacturers self-certify their products, they don't write the rules about how the tests are conducted or the emissions standards that must be met. Those are specified by the EPA in minute and gory detail.

The EPA also does perform some spot checks in an attempt to keep the manufacturers honest. But these checks cover only about 5 percent of the models certified in any particular year.

In the case of this VW scandal, an EPA spot check would not have helped because the cars had software that could recognize, via a number of methods, when they were being tested on laboratory dynamometers. It wouldn't have mattered wether these dynos were owned--or the tests conducted--by the car manufacturers or the EPA.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:42 AM
2Bad4u
AutoX

Originally Posted by sechsgang
It's not just VW, it's Daimler as well.
Yes Daimler as well as Audi. But we are not discussing those brands here.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:26 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
they don't write the rules about the emissions standards that must be met. Those are specified by the EPA in minute and gory detail.
You have to go deeper than the final rule making and look at the initial rules as proposed (which are a product of the EPA staff and all the stake holders via draft TARs), and how they eventually change based on the public comments from the manufacturers. Even more interesting, years ago (early 2000s) the public search functionality of the NHTSA and EPA databases was accidentally returning private manufacturer communications which (i believe) was supposed to be kept on a different system...
A random person even posted some stuff from then (Porsche's LCD gauge cluster plans for one) and pointed them towards the public documents describing the CGT airbag fiasco among other things.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:45 PM
Cubs2016
Advanced

Just spoke with PCNA. They say the EPA has certified, but they are still waiting on CARB certifications. For NY, they don't expect certification until September. It's getting worse, not better. My car will have been sitting out exposed at the port for more than a month before I get it. Arghhhh.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:20 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
You have to go deeper than the final rule making and look at the initial rules as proposed (which are a product of the EPA staff and all the stake holders via draft TARs), and how they eventually change based on the public comments from the manufacturers. Even more interesting, years ago (early 2000s) the public search functionality of the NHTSA and EPA databases was accidentally returning private manufacturer communications which (i believe) was supposed to be kept on a different system...
A random person even posted some stuff from then (Porsche's LCD gauge cluster plans for one) and pointed them towards the public documents describing the CGT airbag fiasco among other things.
You're right about the public and manufacturer input. But it's only appropriate that the EPA bureaucrats don't simply pull the rules from their behinds while sitting in their ivory tower Washington offices, given that most of them have never designed an engine or conducted an emissions test in their lives. But in the end, they do set the final rules.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:36 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,032 Likes on 484 Posts

yeahhh...so I talked to the owner of another dealer and he said September as well...I should say his dealer is in Delaware, and each of the states will be doing their things separately, so there is a chance, PA/Jersey etc etc have different timing.

Last edited by sechsgang; 08-04-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:45 AM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 217 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by sechsgang
yeahhh...so I talked to the owner of another dealer and he said September as well...
Old 08-04-2017, 07:52 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 402 Posts

People living in CARB states are ****ed. My car reached RI the day before yesterday and my sales dude told me that they will have my car this weekend for delivery end of next week.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:56 PM
JW1
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for not rubbing it in.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:09 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by JW1
Thanks for not rubbing it in.
Sorry. Our motto is "Live Free or Die" and we don't care about emissions.

Quick Reply: EPA holding 2018 991.2 deliveries