Sponsored by:

EPA holding 2018 991.2 deliveries

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 04:30 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
I know someone in DC who works in a relevant profession and knows quite a bit about this situation. She told me it is absolutely EPA retaliation for the VW scandal. Really disgraceful. (The EPA, that is.)
While I might feel different if I had a car stuck in port, I think VW got off way to easy in this whole mess, and I'm pretty much fine with anything anybody does to punish them further.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:12 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just got word back from the Port on my 2018 Macan S, its being held there same as the others. Zero 2018 model Porsches of any kind are allowed to leave the ports at this point.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:25 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
While I might feel different if I had a car stuck in port, I think VW got off way to easy in this whole mess, and I'm pretty much fine with anything anybody does to punish them further.
While I agree that what they did was plainly an egregious and willful violation of the emissions regulations, they company is paying some $25 billion in fines. Do you want the company to be put out of business?

I wouldn't argue with some of the responsible executives coughing up some serious fines or spending a few months in the slammer.

On the other hand, if the EPA is simply delaying these Porsches for no reason other than some warped notion of retaliation, then the administrators responsible for that decision also need to be sanctioned.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:31 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

It's all speculation right now .... Soon, they'll run out of room to store the cars. I'm sure PCNA is laser focused on getting this resolved.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:26 PM
pdutta2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by asia
Most definitely not retaliation. Pruitt couldn't care less about the environment.

Trade. An excuse to limit imports and stoke Trump's base.
Retailiation doesn't have to be about the loving the environment. this is about Angela Merkel. No one is stopping Takata airbags at the port and checking them.hea going after a German firm specifically.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:43 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
While I agree that what they did was plainly an egregious and willful violation of the emissions regulations, they company is paying some $25 billion in fines. Do you want the company to be put out of business?

I wouldn't argue with some of the responsible executives coughing up some serious fines or spending a few months in the slammer.

On the other hand, if the EPA is simply delaying these Porsches for no reason other than some warped notion of retaliation, then the administrators responsible for that decision also need to be sanctioned.
Honestly, yes, I wouldn't have minded seeing VW being put out of business over this (as long as the subs can be spun off). This was an insanely egregious crime IMO. When it first broke and everyone was saying it was nothing, I commented that I thought it had the potential to be a corporate killer.

As far as retaliation, it would not for a minute surprise me if the EPA was doing extra testing of all VW AG products entering the country after this fiasco. It would surprise me if it has anything to do with the administration or Merkel, etc., given the animosity currently festering between EPA leadership and Trump. I'll bet this is simply 'hey, they lied in the past, let's do some extra testing to make sure they're not cheating again.'
Old 07-12-2017, 07:03 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by 99999
Just got word back from the Port on my 2018 Macan S, its being held there same as the others. Zero 2018 model Porsches of any kind are allowed to leave the ports at this point.
This is crazy guys. Obsurd
Old 07-12-2017, 07:16 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

If you guys recall earlier in this thread one member said he knew what the issue was and that it was a minor issue------BUT he didn't want to explain because he thought PCNA might not appreciate. So I don't think it's retaliation..........maybe there is some other issue ?
Old 07-12-2017, 08:49 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

I think I guessed what it is possibly.

Not emisssions related......maybe headlight related....something about the light matrix or something like that.....maybe some sort of headlight configuration not allowed or having to be certified before being released.

Only reason I say this is because I saw something similar on line with 2017's Panameras.....
Wild *** Guess......I have no idea !
Old 07-12-2017, 09:00 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

could be anything. trump has said he wants foreign companies paying more to bring their goods into the country and this is maybe his subtle way of making a point to massive importer that if they don't do more in the USA, they will face this. 100000% PCA wants this resolve immediate. they will absolutely run out of storage and cars will suffer sitting in the rain. turbo S, GT3 and other pcar owners work hard to NOT have cars sitting out in the pouring rain, hail, acid, etc. and due to this stupidity, that's where they will sit till resolved. trump sends a message that says "lets triple check every car for emissions or seatbelts or crash testing...ie...let them rot for 3months"..its going to happen.
I wouldn't sweat it too much. nothing you can do about it. the dealers are going to suffer, salespersons suffer, we suffer. hopefully something good comes of it. I was told end of quarter but who the f knows. this was from a stressed saleperson who was concerned he would have nothing to sell and was scrambling to find cars, consignments, stuff to buy, anything.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:44 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 779 Likes on 344 Posts

Last edited by TexasPorschelover; 07-13-2017 at 09:37 AM. Reason: .
Old 07-12-2017, 11:02 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

End of the quarter? Wow. Porsche needs to issue a press release or something on the matter. My dealership didn't even know this was going on. That doesn't seem right.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:07 AM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
It's crazy that the lefties are making a big stink about America removing itself from the Paris accords, while the biggest polluter in the world China, is given a free pass.

Man made apocalyptic climate change......mubmo jumbo.

Years ago scientists thought there was a coming ice age.
First they say eggs are bad and now they are good.

Please......a lot of "science" is theory and guesswork, with a large heaping of politics and self interest thrown in.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:03 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

If our President deserves credit for the unemployment numbers, the win in Mosul, and the run on the stock market, he also deserves credit for the actions of the EPA.
COVFEFE!
Old 07-13-2017, 08:49 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

It seems that no one cares about the future owners, who have funds tied up in deposits, not to mention the depreciation if these cars continue to sit. I am sure there were not too many hefty discounts for the first bunch of 18's. In addition, more than half the US will be entering the winter in a couple months by the time these cars get out of jail. This is most unfortunate.

Quick Reply: EPA holding 2018 991.2 deliveries