subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by sctanton52
I can indeed do that.

My post are on Page 4, near the bottom.

Ok. Thanks I missed that.

Originally Posted by STG
Aren't we more concerned with the US situation? Seeing we understand that dynamic and buyer better?

Thanks for posting the other data.

I do think everything is interrelated (i.e. the world picture). Porsche can only produce X number of 911s. If demand is very high in China and softer in the US, they are going to shift allocations to China from the US. The appearance to us looking at only the US sales figures from Panamera magazine is that the 911 is not doing so well when in fact it may be doing very well world wide. China is the center of gravity and focus of Porsche right now. That is where the growth it.

Last edited by subshooter; 11-27-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:57 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

911 sales worldwide are slightly up. Like I mentioned, reduced US allocations have been adjusted to more closely meet demand.

The allocations are out there. I had no problem finding two configurable ones in 15 minutes a few weeks back with one delivering in January. Some dealers play into the narrative and try to play the "hard to get game" a bit much.

At this point, I'm just running around in circles with the same info.

Will report back once November sales are posted. Later!
Old 11-25-2016, 02:09 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks STG, I appreciate your input and knowledge.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:34 PM
BertoneBertoni
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

All things are relative in life...and relatively speaking...Porsche AG is faring pretty well, is it not - given the discombobulating political and economic news across the World ?

Whilst concerns about over-supplied hi-end Cayennes, lack of supply of Gen 2s in certain markets, Macans bought by cross-shopping Porsche wannabees, over-inflated prices for options and slumping 991.2 sales are all present & correct, it does put me in mind that 911 owners seem to fall into two main mindsets.

(1) Those that focus on residuals, discounts, pricing and lease deals (and consequently formulaic specifications) and (2) those that just get on with buying their new car to their personal spec and celebrating that such a car - still uncontaminated by part-bin core components - remains out there to buy for a third of a 488 GTB. There are, indeed, reasons to be cheerful.....
Old 11-25-2016, 02:53 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 331 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
911 sales worldwide are slightly up. Like I mentioned, reduced US allocations have been adjusted to more closely meet demand.
A few have posted that US dealers were notified in 2015 that their 911 allocations were going to be reduced for 2016 with Macan allocations being increased. With the move to 3.0 liter engines, that made the 911 market in China more viable (due to restriction there on engines with larger displacement), so my gut tells me that with a finite amount of 911's being able to be produced, Porsche made the conscious decision to reduce 911 allocations here in 2016, while increasing 911 allocations in China in an effort to get an improved foothold there. They knew that for the short term, P dealers in the US could survive with more limited 911 allocations as long as they had more Macan allocations to help offset.

My feeling is that it was targeted 911 market share improvement in China that is driving the US situation more than it is Porsche's attempt to curtail US supply to better meet anticipated lower demand. It will be interesting to see how allocations and sales in the US are in 2017 as a comparison.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:57 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 120 Posts

Not sure how you came to your conclusions, but happy and grateful to be part of contingent #2.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:47 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,537 Likes on 5,061 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Same thing is happening in the USA.

This is NOT demand related, but Porsche trying to more tightly control the supply, increase margins, and have stronger resale prices. I've said this since the beginning of this post.

They did not like what happened with the Panamera's, Turbo S's, and Cayenne's over the last 1-2 years. Too many out there, and excessive discounting to move them which also hurts resale prices and new car sales when deprecation is so high.

Places highlighting the depreciation and educating people on preowned market like "Hot for Sale" and Rennlist in general puts more of an advantage in the buyers hands. Not exactly beneficial and looked favorably upon dealers and PCNA.

The three D's aren't something they want associated anywhere close the the Porsche name. Deals, Discounting, and Depreciation.

Porcshe can definitely have an influence on future preowned prices by what they do with new cars.

Look at what Rolex does!
Well, technically it is demand related.

By restricting supply, it can create more demand. As in, "we always want, sometimes more, what we cannot have."

To use your Rolex example, there is nothing inherently significant, from a horological standpoint, about the Daytona -- esp. the all-steel iteration -- but because the supply of the Daytona is less vis-a-vis other Rolex models, there is this heightened sense of uber demand for what is otherwise a rather pedestrian watch.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:45 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Well, technically it is demand related.

By restricting supply, it can create more demand. As in, "we always want, sometimes more, what we cannot have."

To use your Rolex example, there is nothing inherently significant, from a horological standpoint, about the Daytona -- esp. the all-steel iteration -- but because the supply of the Daytona is less vis-a-vis other Rolex models, there is this heightened sense of uber demand for what is otherwise a rather pedestrian watch.
Yes, technically demand related. Porsche building less and granting less allocations based on demand but at the same time not having many excess cars. This creates stronger margins and resale prices. Don't think it's driving any "additional" demand.

I've yet to see one post of anyone saying they CAN'T get a build to spec 991.2

I've yet to see any dealer "market adjustments" on the 991.2 as well.

Rolex? Same as the GT cars, they can make more, just decide not to. Just like the pedestrian Daytona, except the Daytona is much more reliable.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:43 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,014 Posts

I have to agree with STG. In this case moving the supply curve (i.e. less allocations) from S2 to S1 (opposite direction from this generic example) shifts the supply curve left resulting in increased prices but less sold (assuming demand curve is constant). I don't think the demand curve is really moving at all but Porsche is definitely moving the supply curve left..

Name:  Supply curve.png
Views: 348
Size:  9.8 KB
Old 11-26-2016, 12:13 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Is it possible that Porsche themselves are acknowledging the fact that, even though the 911is their iconic vehicle, the 718s are filling the role of the true sports car, and are being produced in higher volume and at a more reasonable price? They're still offering 911 variants for the die hards or people who have always wanted a 911, but by increasing the capabilities of the 718s, and keeping the prices lower, and getting them out in higher numbers, they're gradually shifting the public's perception of a true Porsche sports car? Maybe it's an acknowledgement that the 911 is being shifted toward GT/ supercar status. In coming iterations will we even be able to get a "base" model, or will they start out with higher optioned, higher hp variants?
Old 11-26-2016, 12:38 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 331 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
Is it possible that Porsche themselves are acknowledging the fact that, even though the 911is their iconic vehicle, the 718s are filling the role of the true sports car, and are being produced in higher volume and at a more reasonable price? They're still offering 911 variants for the die hards or people who have always wanted a 911, but by increasing the capabilities of the 718s, and keeping the prices lower, and getting them out in higher numbers, they're gradually shifting the public's perception of a true Porsche sports car? Maybe it's an acknowledgement that the 911 is being shifted toward GT/ supercar status. In coming iterations will we even be able to get a "base" model, or will they start out with higher optioned, higher hp variants?
This news release seems to support what you are saying about sales success of the 718's during 2016.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/comp...ase-13048.html

Specifically.....
With global deliveries standing at 10,661 (for the Boxster) and 71,086 (for the Macan), both models achieved clear double-digit growth of 20 per cent and 13 per cent respectively. Compared with the same period in the previous year, sales of the classic 911 sportscar also increased with 25,993 vehicles delivered (+5 per cent), as did sales of the Cayman with 8471 vehicles delivered (+4 per cent).
Old 11-26-2016, 01:09 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Fasttr
This news release seems to support what you are saying about sales success of the 718's during 2016.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/comp...ase-13048.html

Specifically.....
Except the vast majority of those Boxster sales were 981s, not 718s. And half of that 'growth' would be accounted for by the Spyder alone. The 718 hasn't been available long enough to draw any sales conclusions yet.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:15 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Fasttr
.... a finite amount of 911's being able to be produced.....
IMO, this is a common misconception. And it's usually attached to an over blown idea called "Protecting exclusivity."
Porsche will make as many 911's as there are customers who have the money to pay for them. China buys more 911's than the US because (sad to say) they have more customers with the money to pay for them than the US has.
In a nutshell, Porsche will put 911's where there is money, regardless of "exclusivity." Simple as that.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:49 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Given the current situation at Zuffenhausen, where all 911's are made, along with all Boxsters and all Caymans, on the same production line. There is a real hard limit. IIRC they run a 2 shift system right now, so they perhaps would have some room to grow, if the supporting infrastructure could also grow along with a 3rd production shift.

Interesting in that Zuffenhausen is being expanded, big time, but to support the Mission-E. Perhaps the light at the end of the tunnel is electric?
Old 11-26-2016, 08:22 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
IMO, this is a common misconception. And it's usually attached to an over blown idea called "Protecting exclusivity."
Porsche will make as many 911's as there are customers who have the money to pay for them. .
So I guess you didn't read the linked article quoting Porsche about restricting supply to maintain exclusivity of the brand...

Your last sentence would be correct if you added "...at an exorbitantly high premium due to exclusivity."

Quick Reply: Porsche Sales Figures