Sponsored by:

Porsche Sales Figures

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 12:54 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 703 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
It's hard to justify a brand new vehicle that will drop like a brick in value when low mile CPO's are available all day long.
Even though supply is tight, the dealers are having to aggressively discount to sell.
In Canada, low mileage CPO (2017) are selling for MSRP less about 8% (not including the CPO value added plus freight/PDI), so around 10% off. Given that every CPO I've looked had has $10,000 worth of options I'm not interested in, I'm better off with a new car with the options I want, suffering with a 2% discount that all Canadian dealers seem to be colluding on. I saw a 2017 CPO in Edmonton with 9,000 kms and asked if they thought their asking (8% off original MSRP) was reasonable. The response: we look at cars at other dealerships and price ours at 90 - 95% of those cars and maintain fixed pricing. Obviously allocations are low and they feel they'll get their price in spring when no unsold allocations are available for spring delivery. Good luck.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:54 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I feel there are a number of factors in play
a) slowly changing demographic
b) more competition
c) political change in certain markets
d) global economic uncertainty (lack of performance in Europe, massive debt in the US)
e) Porsche tightening allocation
f) Price increases??? (effect on entry level sports cars???)
g) Market skew (rush for last NA models, versus uncertainty in turbo models)
h) The Macan factor - I can get a Porsche for X and it nearly has the performance of the entry level 911 - I just want the badge (make no mistake this is very real - at least where I live)

In the case of the (e), my own allocation for a 991.2C2S build has been put back two months with little explanation (unexpected demand in this market or reduced production for this market).
Old 11-23-2016, 01:38 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 281 Posts

I think you guys have hit on all of the factors -

- economic uncertainty
- overpricing of the cars, even if they are a "value" based on performance fewer people buy $120K + Cars
- demographics curbing buyers even more (milennials)
- Turbos turning off many of the devotees who would have upgraded, who are now waiting to see where the next generation will go
- Pulling forward of 2016 sales once 2017 went turbo - belief these will be "collectible some day" based on 997 and 993 values
- Normal slowing in growth of a .2 model

I grabbed a low mile 991.1 once the turbo rumors were confirmed, and will wait and see from now on to see if new Porsche sports cars still interest me. If/when space permits, I'd buy a 981GTS or Spyder too for the long haul. We do love our Macan's handling - though the Turbo lag underwhelms me.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:38 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
That's not how supply and demand work, currently supply is short. Demand may be too, but not as much right now. Not many new 911s in stock.
I'm not seeing that in my area (So Cal). All year long I have seen dealers full of 911s (both 991.1 and 991.2). As others have noted here, they seem to be selling quite a few SUVs but not many 911s. I have also noticed several 911s sitting on their lots for months at a time. While those cars eventually sold, it took a long time.

Things might be a bit different right now as the factory was on vacation last month or so and I have not been to a dealer in over two months due to a busted clutch actuator (I broke my left foot).

Anyway, what I am selfishly hoping for is continued slow sales of 911s and them being more willing to give me a better deal knowing the car will be sold as soon as it arrives and I will be purchasing pre-paid service from them.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:39 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

It will be interesting to see what happens to CPO market in 2017 as more 991.1s start to come off leases.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:51 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

True, I have already had guys asking me about the possibility of buying it just before me lease is up.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:00 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
Hear hear
As long as you can get PSP with the pogo stick
Have the PSP jokes reached critical mass yet? Ugh...

Old 11-23-2016, 12:39 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 331 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by go.illini
Have the PSP jokes reached critical mass yet? Ugh...
Hey....its on Suncoast's Black Friday sale right now. Don't delay.
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...m_medium=email
Old 11-23-2016, 12:44 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Fasttr
Old 11-23-2016, 01:11 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Fasttr
Marketing confuses the matter again:

"Power steering Plus is a speed sensitive power steering system. At high speeds, the steering firms up and responds with greater precision, while steering comfort remains outstanding. At low speeds, the steering ratio adjusts for easy maneuvering and parking.

I'm sure the bold text means "with respect to how PSP responds at low speeds" but the casual (and hopeful) reader could certainly interpret that to mean "compared to cars without PSP." Which would be a completely reasonable mistake, given that it's named Power Steering Plus.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:14 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 703 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
I think you guys have hit on all of the factors -

- economic uncertainty
- overpricing of the cars, even if they are a "value" based on performance fewer people buy $120K + Cars
- demographics curbing buyers even more (milennials)
- Turbos turning off many of the devotees who would have upgraded, who are now waiting to see where the next generation will go
- Pulling forward of 2016 sales once 2017 went turbo - belief these will be "collectible some day" based on 997 and 993 values
- Normal slowing in growth of a .2 model

I grabbed a low mile 991.1 once the turbo rumors were confirmed, and will wait and see from now on to see if new Porsche sports cars still interest me. If/when space permits, I'd buy a 981GTS or Spyder too for the long haul. We do love our Macan's handling - though the Turbo lag underwhelms me.
Sports car sales in the higher price categories are dropping. It has been reported as a trend and doesn't have anything to do with Porsche directly, although Porsche is affected.

I don't believe the average 911 buyer really cares too much about the .2 engine change despite all of the "controversy" expressed here are but a vocal .001% of Porsche buyers. Even if the .2 engine was a general topic of discussion, every major (and minor) automobile magazine reviewing the car has given it a hearty endorsement. It is better in every way.

Porsche's answer to slowing sales has been to try to help maintain the car's value. It is doing this by constraining supply. The result is competition for allocations and dealer's having more success selling closer to list. So buyers look to CPO, but with limited numbers of new cars, CPO prices are held high as well.

If China stops buying 911s, the whole thing will change. Porsche will try to make up the sales in North America and then dealers will start dealing again.

in the mean time, I wouldn't blame the .2 engine.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:40 PM
Driven991
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts

I am new to the Porsche brand so I am not a purist by any stretch of the imagination. Hahaha I also drive mine instead of parking it and worshiping it.

Bought first one 6 mo ago and put 7300 miles on it. Second one I purchased 1.5 weeks ago. Both CPO cars. My new car I was just fortunate that I found what I wanted. Admittedly it is not exactly how I would have ordered it but not enough to matter. Love the value of the CPO car vs new.

Had a 14 C2S and now a 17 C2S. The turbo vs N/A thing is a non issue for me. Drove the turbo cars at PSDS and they are the shizzle.

As mentioned above the 17 is just better in every way than the 14 I traded. Exhaust sound....well I'm not much on a loud exhaust note in the vehicle cabin anymore...been there done that with multiple American V-8s and while it is nice for a while it does get really old on a long drive or when you want a lower profile in traffic.

Strongly considered purchasing new or ordering a car. What I didn't like the most was the feeling that the dealers were trying to screw me over for every last dollar they could. I mean really Porsche's sales are down and you won't budge on pricing. My local dealer wouldn't budge on a car they had on their lot and another dealer wanted to screw me on my trade in for a nicely optioned new car they've had been sitting on for 6 months.

When I asked about ordering my local dealer gave me a song and dance about allocations and how hard it was to get..blah blah blah. Had to pay MSRP or no go..etc etc.

Well I was patient and I got what I wanted and saved a significant chunk of cash which I was very happy to not give them.

I will be curious to see the look on my dealer's face when I roll up in my new one to get it serviced. These dealers need repeat business from loyal customers.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:54 PM
MinMay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, I'm sure the first and new 2017 Maserati and Lamborghini SUV going to eat into Porsche Macan/Cayenne pie.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:02 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 655 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by MinMay
Also, I'm sure the first and new 2017 Maserati and Lamborghini SUV going to eat into Porsche Macan/Cayenne pie.
Alfa has a gorgeous new SUV coming down the pipeline too....... definitely gives the Macan a run for the money in the looks category....... also has 505 hp.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:07 PM
MinMay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JustBud
Alfa has a gorgeous new SUV coming down the pipeline too....... definitely gives the Macan a run for the money in the looks category....... also has 505 hp.
yeah. consumers are going to have more luxury choices in SUV coming up next year. It was either Mercedes, BMW, or Porsche.

Quick Reply: Porsche Sales Figures