Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Sales Figures

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 11:11 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

“Our three main regions, Europe, North America, and Asia are absolutely perfectly balanced. United States and Canada represent about 25 percent of worldwide sales. Asia, including China, represents about 28 percent. And Europe is about 25-26 percent. If something slows down in China as we saw last year—it has come back pretty nicely this year—we balance with Europe and United States. Europe has come back very strongly this year. Helps us to counterbalance what is happening in the Middle East, with political tensions and oil price impacting strongly the regions. South America is not very healthy at the moment."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markewin.../#6505ff962d85
Old 12-02-2016, 11:31 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,537 Likes on 5,061 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
“Our three main regions, Europe, North America, and Asia are absolutely perfectly balanced. United States and Canada represent about 25 percent of worldwide sales. Asia, including China, represents about 28 percent. And Europe is about 25-26 percent. If something slows down in China as we saw last year—it has come back pretty nicely this year—we balance with Europe and United States. Europe has come back very strongly this year. Helps us to counterbalance what is happening in the Middle East, with political tensions and oil price impacting strongly the regions. South America is not very healthy at the moment."

China by itself accounts for more than 1/4 of total worldwide sales. If we're talking about single country markets, China moves the needle. With the U.S. a close second, coming some six thousand plus vehicles in the rear.

http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=972
Old 12-02-2016, 11:37 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
China by itself accounts for more than 1/4 of total worldwide sales. If we're talking about single country markets, China moves the needle. With the U.S. a close second, coming some six thousand plus vehicles in the rear.

http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=972
Yes China is significant. What point are you trying to get across??

Smaller displacements are helping ....
Old 12-03-2016, 12:02 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,537 Likes on 5,061 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Yes China is significant. What point are you trying to get across??

Smaller displacements are helping ....
That Porsche caters to the Chinese market more than the U.S., which is primarily why we now have smaller displacement 911s, with FI.

The EU started it with the Kyoto Protocol, and China basically follows what the EU does on things related to emissions.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:09 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
That Porsche caters to the Chinese market more than the U.S., which is primarily why we now have smaller displacement 911s, with FI.

The EU started it with the Kyoto Protocol, and China basically follows what the EU does on things related to emissions.
Correct. Lucky us.

Maybe we'll start making more things in this country and have a little bit more leverage in the future instead of being force fed whatever the EU feels like indirectly feeding us.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:54 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
It's just Porsche being smart about maximizing profits and value for the shareholders. That's their business after all, not making cars.
Um I think if you look hard enough you'll find a bit of a link there.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:26 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Um I think if you look hard enough you'll find a bit of a link there.
I think you missed my point. Porsche is not in the business of selling cool cars. They are in the business of making money and building wealth for their shareholders. If the best way to do that is by selling small boring 4cyl SUVs instead of exciting sports cars, they'll sell SUVs.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:55 PM
STG
Race Director

I think you missed my point. Porsche is not in the business of selling cool cars. They are in the business of making money and building wealth for their shareholders. If the best way to do that is by selling small boring 4cyl SUVs instead of exciting sports cars, they'll sell SUVs.

One has nothing to do with the other. They're not even made in the same plant. They'll sell anything they can.

With the GT cars they limit supply to keep the demand up and dealers happy. A nice carrot they can wave in front of them to reward them for sales goals or taking slow selling models off their hands. They use them as leverage and like the buzz around them when buyers are scrambling.

They seem to also be more closely watching all sports car supply as well not to drive prices down and keep margins high.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:41 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
One has nothing to do with the other. They're not even made in the same plant. They'll sell anything they can.
They absolutely do for two reasons. First, dealer floor space is limited. My dealer is flooded with SUVs, there isn't any place to put more sports cars. Second, capital is limited at Porsche, particularly in light of the VW scandal. Porsche is not in a position right now to simply max out production on all it's lines. They're already publicly disclosed reductions in investment due to the scandal, so there are obviously capital issues at the moment.

All that said, I think the broader market issues are in play here, with Porsche being smart enough to see the downturn in the sports car market in general and is adjusting accordingly. The sports car market has been overheated in the last 5-7 years and it's coming back to earth. At the same time they have a super hot vehicle that offers a better return on dealer capital than the sports cars.

And I agree that they are controlling supply more tightly on the sports cars to support premium pricing as well.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:25 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sctanton52
Given the current situation at Zuffenhausen, where all 911's are made, along with all Boxsters and all Caymans, on the same production line. There is a real hard limit. IIRC they run a 2 shift system right now, so they perhaps would have some room to grow, if the supporting infrastructure could also grow along with a 3rd production shift.

Interesting in that Zuffenhausen is being expanded, big time, but to support the Mission-E. Perhaps the light at the end of the tunnel is electric?
Caymans are not produced on the same assembly line with the 911's only Boxster share that facility.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:58 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left
Caymans are not produced on the same assembly line with the 911's only Boxster share that facility.
I think they have moved, or are in the processing of moving all 2 door models to Zuffenhausen. See attached press release. I did a factory tour in late September and IIRC the tour guide said all 911/718 are now made there.
Attached Images  
Old 12-04-2016, 12:00 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

​​​​​​​I found it interesting that they said the US was the biggest market for two door sports cars. Seems the Macans do even better elsewhere!
Old 12-04-2016, 12:25 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
​​​​​​​I found it interesting that they said the US was the biggest market for two door sports cars. Seems the Macans do even better elsewhere!
Because of all of us crazy enthusiasts that frequent Rennlist!
Old 12-04-2016, 02:06 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 281 Posts

With all due respect, while this could be a path, is highly unlikely, not needed, and would be a marketing disaster case study

Porsche has a brand which is hard earned and amounts to millions and millions of goodwill on their balance sheet. If they lose their way and become another volkswagen from a product perspective, customers will be confused, margins will come down, they'll lose the performance leadership helm to others and likely cant afford their racing budget...etc.

As part of a larger brand portfolio now, they will stay very specialized and further niche out the category IMO, but they cant go too far toward "boring" machines. Sports cars are the halo that makes it all work.

Last edited by Chris C.; 12-04-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:21 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
As part of a larger brand portfolio now, they will stay very specialized and further niche out the category IMO, but they cant go too far toward "boring" machines. Sports cars are the halo that makes it all work.
AKA selling cool cars.

Quick Reply: Porsche Sales Figures